z

Young Writers Society

Epic World: Runes of Brendor.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:33 pm
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Blake

I tried not to glare again as I got up. I'll admit she knew stuff I had no idea existed, but still. I didn't like being hurt, and not being able to fight back. I put on a tight smile and tilted my head a bit.

"Alright, then I want to teach you some stuff," I said, voice strained. She nodded eagerly. I drew out my scimitar. It was a curved sword, I s'pose I could've just said that, but still. Scimitar sounded cool.

"I'm going to teach you how to full on sword fight, without fighting dirty." I emphasized without and leaned back a little. I lunged towards her, testing her reflexes. She brought her sword up quickly, the side clashing with my edge. I nodded.

"That's effective, but it doesn't really give you a good starting point. See, if you bring it in from the side-" I moved her arm so it was in the correct position. "-then you can do a full arc, whip around, and be ready again, while still blocking the strike." I explained. I kept teaching her, not so much attacking as testing. I wasn't going to make her into a punching bag. That was reserved for my brothers.

By the time I had finished the lesson (it was a short one, but still), she was a little tired, but knew what she had to. Strike, guard, feigns, everything. Well, the basics. There were a few tricks that I'd prefer to keep to myself; they were my signature moves.

But she was better prepared now, and so was I.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:11 pm
ForsakenAngel says...

Er, can someone bring me in? Kassie is sitting sort of by herself at the edge of the boat...
Hakuna Matata <3
RIP to all my friends who didn’t make it.

Hop freight or get lost.

Reviews: 1
Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:18 pm
Fox says...

Emmett

It was dark outside, and I liked the nighttime. I had left the back of the boat and was now just wandering around the deck. There was nothing to do, and I wasn't too good at talking to people, but I knew I was going to have to try. I spotted another girl sitting alone. I walked over to go talk to her. Why not give someone company and at the same time find something to do.

"So, are you excited?" I asked her. She nodded. "Me too. What's your name?"

"Kassie." she said. I smiled.

"I'm Emmett." Great, I was already getting to know people. I would have to talk to everyone else, too. Even though I wasn't too good at making friends and meeting knew people, I knew I had to. I might be spending a lot of time with these people, so why not get to know them now.
I am a fox, sly and quick.
I never give up
I never quit

I do what I can
I stand and fight

I strategize
I stand tall
throughout the night

I am a fox

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:36 pm
View Likes
ForsakenAngel says...

~Kassie~

I looked at him, realizing he wasn't much for talking either. I didn't like talking unless we were close. I needed to have friends like that here, so I would have to talk.

"I'm from the silver city, or Ayimeth as some know it as," I said, in attempts to say something. "Where are you from?"

>Sorry It's short...I really couldn't find much for her to say:)<
Hakuna Matata <3
RIP to all my friends who didn’t make it.

Hop freight or get lost.

Reviews: 1
Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:50 pm
Fox says...

Emmett

"Whostland." I said. She nodded.

"So, how's Ayimeth?" I asked. She laughed a little.

"Okay. What about Whostland?" I sighed.

"Well, it's okay, but I'm glad to be getting away. At least, I think." She looked confused, and I laughed. "It's hard to explain. I'm a confusing person. I guess I just don't know if I'm glad to be leaving Whostland, or glad to be going to the Academy. You know what I mean?"

"Sort of." she said with a smile. "I think I understand."

"Good." I said. It was silent for a while. I thought of something to say, but could think of anything. It was kind of awkward, yet peaceful.
I am a fox, sly and quick.
I never give up
I never quit

I do what I can
I stand and fight

I strategize
I stand tall
throughout the night

I am a fox

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:50 pm
Ray112 says...

*hey sorry if i take awhile to reply. I'm in a completely different time zone. Anyway, to answer your question no we don't get our dragons until we land at the academy and enter the chambering of sorting. That's the first thing we'll do. I'll transition that as soon as i'm caught up reading. =P*
"Insert life changing statement"

30 Reviews

Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:57 am
Ray112 says...

Allon~

"I am now," the girl replied. Allon frowned, even though he was only being friendly she didn't look happy to see him.

"You're from Aronim," he said noticing the familiar embroidery on her clothes. "But you look familiar. What's your family's name?"

The girl's eyes darted to her feet. "I do not want to speak to you," she said and immediately headed in the opposite direction of him.

Allon was at a lost he didn't understand why the girl avoided him. They were brethren of the four kingdoms! They carried the same pride! The girl turned away from him and that's when he finally noticed. On her back there was a stitched on coat of arms that depicted a wolf catching a fish.

"You're from the Tigia clan..."

The girl glared at him her eyes flashed dangerously. "I suggest you keep your distance Fox."

Allon sighed. "Listen just because our clans don't like each other doesn't mean we shouldn't either. We're Dragon knights now."

"You're people are the reason mine lost it's noble status!" Allon was at a lost for words. Aymir did business with the Aronim's. Allon's family had been charged with protecting the head of the Wolfia clan but instead it was a double mission to uncover the leader's illegal weapon trading with a country out side the four kingdoms. The Wolfia clan had been planning to over throw the four kingdom system and take control. The girl blushed she'd obviously said more than she'd meant to. "Stay away from me," she concluded and headed towards another end of the ship.

Allon sighed. "I'm not smooth at all." Walking along the ship Allon heard metal clang. He hid in corner where he watched two girls "teaching each other a lesson." The fight ended lamely and Allon couldn't help but laugh aloud. "I guess girls really can't fight!"

The two girls looked up.
Last edited by Ray112 on Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:03 am
Pundit says...

Please, sir, can I have some more? (character)

forsakinshadow, my first objection was about skill. this one is about the accessibility of the instruments. Pianos are very uncommon among fantasy worlds, so that rules that out. Violins, however, probably do exist. But they probably are more common among the the nobility(or very successful merchants) than among the peasants. So, who are Kassie's parents?
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
George Orwell

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:14 am
LastPaladin says...

Tiaan

Skipping over she grinned at the cute boy, "Oh really."

Whipping her sword out she struck him a blow to his gut with her knee, watching him bend down in pain she then drew her blade up smaking up with pommel.

"You were saying?"

Her new friend who was a girl clapped at the performance, she bowed with a flourish hearing the whale song slowly vanish, now they were alone, "I think boys are weak at fighting compadre."

He stumbled up and whispered, "Where you from?"

"Manitius. Perhaps check next time." She smiled sadly before bending down beside him and kissing his cheek, "I hope broke no bones."
Last edited by LastPaladin on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You poor take courage
You rich take care
This earth was made a common treasury
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace
The orders came to cut them down

Billy Bragg - The World Turned Upside Down

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:24 am
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Blake

I snarled at the boy. After Tiaan had skipped away, I grabbed him by the collar and lifted him two feet off the ground, yanking his face towards mine.

In a low voice, I growled, "Your family is the reason mine was forced onto the sea. Your people are why mine were hunted. While you lived in comfort, I was fighting for my life. You remember that." I shoved him to the ground and walked over to Tiaan, making sure the boy saw the embroidery on the back of my shirt- sharp blue stitching forming a sword stabbing from the ocean.

The symbol of Tari.

I climbed up the ropes again and tried to forget myself and focus on each drop of sea mist. Because sea mist would always win me over, not an attractive boy from the Silver City.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

30 Reviews

Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:37 am
Ray112 says...

~Allon

Allon smirked painfully in response as the two girls walked away.

"Wow she hit you pretty hard," said a voice coming from his left. Allon looked up and noticed two people, a girl who looked like she was from Ayimeth and a boy who looked like he was Wolestand.

"Who are you?" he asked.

The boy held out his hand he was the one who spoke earlier. "My name's Emmet and this is Kassie. We were" he pointed "over there when we over heard the commotion."

"I think she likes you." The girl Kassie said.

"Yeah? What about the other one?" Allon accepted Emmet's outstretched hand and the boy helped pull him up.
Emmet shook his head. "Not so much..." The girl Kassie remained in the back ground attempting to hide her large grin but failing.

Allon snarled "It's not funny!"

In a soft voice the girl replied, "Yes it is."

That's when the ship lurched and they all slid to the ships starboard side. Emmet would've flipped over the ledge if Allon hadn't caught him. "What the hell was that?" asked Allon.

"Land ahoy!!!" cried a voice from the crow's nest.

5 Reviews

Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:45 am
Pundit says...

Manatar-
I heard the cry of land, and finally managed to crawl out of bed without my stomach trying to evict its tenants.In fact, I even managed to make it on deck by the time they were docking!
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
George Orwell

5 Reviews

Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:45 am
Pundit says...

Pundit wrote:Please, sir, can I have some more? (character)

Can I have a second character?
George Orwell

30 Reviews

Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:46 am
Ray112 says...

yeah man sure. But it'll have to be an upper classman character. all the freshmen slots are filled.

30 Reviews

Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:47 am
Ray112 says...

Pundit wrote:Manatar-
I heard the cry of land, and finally managed to crawl out of bed without my stomach trying to evict its tenants.In fact, I even managed to make it on deck by the time they were docking!

also,try not to make too many posts this small. atleast a paragraph. =D

You are in the wrong land even if the roosters recognize you.
— Nathalie Handal, "Noir, une lumière"