z

Young Writers Society

The Lyle House

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:25 pm
Ben10 says...

Alright, well I've been reading some books. It's not that shocking guys, I just don't read that often...but when I do, I do! Anyway, I came across this really great series (The Darkest Powers) and well I couldn't help but think it would be cool as a Story Book. Ooh, I also recommend you read it. Just because it rocks! :lol:

Title: The Lyle House
Genre: Horror and Romance
Rating:12+
Time Frame: Modern Day

Plot:The Lyle House; a group home, a house where disturbed teens are sent to when they cannot fit into modern day society. Though, Lyle house isn’t exactly a dwelling for the emotionally distressed, its home for the gifted. The gifted are paranormal teens that have a thin string of magic that hasn’t been developed because of the human deities that minimise any magical essence. Though, they are not aware of their power. Plastering a label to a disorder to the child's name, they feed them pills and keep them under strict order to try and straighten them out. Though, these aren't ordinary pills, they are actually used to distinguish the magical flame within them.

Spoiler! :

The Lyle House

Your Role:You are not aware of your power or what the house is doing. You take your meds and go to councilling hopeing to break free from their clutches in the short time frame they have given you. Though, as pieces slowly begin to strand together, and your magic becomes out of hand. Your only option; is to escape.

Rules:

Spoiler! :
-Regular YWS rules apply
-No god-modding
-No/Mild/Some cursing permitted
-No sex scenes
-Post regularly
-No killing off characters without permission

Character Template:

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b] (13-17)
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Power:[/b]
[b]Diagnosis:[/b] (Matches your power. It's like a sickness that can some what explain your ability eg. Fire: Pyromania)
[b]History:[/b]
[b]Up For Love:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]
An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good!'

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:28 pm
SisterItaly says...

Name: Cherie

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Power: Can control heat, not fire and water, just heat. (so no she can't set things on fire)

Diagnosis: Thermophobia- Fear of heat

History: She grew up in the house, she doesn't remember anything but that. She was often the outcast of the group, her entire life they told her she had a great fear of heat, and she hated being to hot or to cold, so she often just sat, anywhere that the temperature was just right. She's never played in the snow, or gone to the beach. She feels her life is empty and meaningless. She loves reading the classics, and has read of love, but isn't sure of what it is.

Up For Love: well it's me, so CHA-YA!

Other: She talks to herself if she's alone
Last edited by SisterItaly on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

Random avatar

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:31 pm
sunstarfrozenlife says...

Save spot- girl. I'll post by tonight.
When your life is based around the face of Sawyer from Lost you know you're officially obsessed.
--
Join Isha's SB, the Shadows!
And mine, Lament of Innocence!
And LDR's, Dark Fey!
And- ok, I'm going to shut up now.
:D

9 Reviews

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:37 pm
Ben10 says...

I can't post now, but I'm just going to mention that everyone's diagnosis and power is different. So, I'll take a guy to even out the ratio (ratio must be even!) and the power will be necromancer and sickness schizophrenia. If you've read the book, yes I am using one of there's. ^^
An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good!'

Random avatar

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:37 pm
sunstarfrozenlife says...

Name: Katie

Appearance: A tall pretty girl with black hair that falls over her eyes and is streaked with scarlett red. (I need a picture to fit this- if you have one that might work, PM me the link or post it please.)

Power: She can make someone's personality change. (ex- make someone who hates something suddenly love it)

Diagnosis:Dissociative Identity Disorder, also known as 'multiple personality disorder'. To read up on it: http://psychcentral.com/disorders/sx18.htm

History: She's lived her whole life here. She's tormented by the thought of this disorder and tries to forget about it as much as she can. She has a bad history that will be revealed later on.

Up For Love: Mmhm

Other:
When your life is based around the face of Sawyer from Lost you know you're officially obsessed.
--
Join Isha's SB, the Shadows!
And mine, Lament of Innocence!
And LDR's, Dark Fey!
And- ok, I'm going to shut up now.
:D

367 Reviews

Reviews: 367
Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:59 pm
Mizzle says...

Last edited by Mizzle on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Chase your dreams, and remember me, speak bravery,
Because after all, those wings will take you up so high."
-- Owl City, "To the Sky"
✯ ✯ ✯

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:51 pm
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Name: Zee Richter

Appearance: Tall with toned muscles. Black and red hair, hazel eyes.

Spoiler! :

Power: can manipulate darkness into a solid force as destructive as fire.

Diagnosis: Photophobia- hypersensitivity to light causing aversion to light.

History: Zee grew up downtown, raised by a single mother. Her family is rather wealthy, explaining why she can be at the Lyle House. Her dad was killed fighting overseas. Her name is actually Zeanalise, but she likes Zee much better. She's used to fighting and defending others, and her mom worked at a nearby hospital. When she was ten, she suddenly started hating extreme light, causing her mom to freak out and research like crazy. Eventually, she diagnosed her with photophobia and started medicating her. It didn't help at all, and Zee started hanging out on the streets whenever she could. Finally, a few days ago, Zee fainted after being pushed into bright sun, her mom sent her to the Lyle House.

Up For Love: sure, but she really couldn't care less about it.

Other: sometimes is called Vampire because of her aversion to light, wears a necklace her dad gave her.

Spoiler! :
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

Reviews: 1
Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:14 am
Greed says...

Name: Allen Grand

Appearance: http://media.photobucket.com/image/depr ... x.jpg?o=14

Power: Invisibility. Can turn himself and anything else he wants to, human or otherwise, as long as he makes physical contact.

Diagnosis: Chronic Depression

History: Allen grew up in a small town with his parents and two younger sisters. He was never the center of attention at school and was always alone. When he was thirteen his house caught fire while he was at the store picking up some food for dinner. His entire family was caught in the flames and perished. He was sent the the house shortly after and his condition has been getting worse.

Up For Love: Why not, if you can warm up to him.

Other: Nothing
Money doesn't make the world go round, it's just makes it go faster.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:12 am
Razcoon says...

Name: Moria

Appearance:
Spoiler! :
Minus the makeup

Power: Manipulates people's minds

Diagnosis: Depression

History: Moria spent years manipulating her parents to do her bidding, and manipulating people to be her friend. She got very lonely with everyone doing everything for her but wasn't aware she was doing it. Once she was sitting and moping about her life when a woman came up and asked her what was wrong. Because she was not used to people genuinely caring, she burst into tears.

After a while the Lyle House took her in, and after taking the pills for a while, her parents began acting like parents and her friends acted like friends. [Except for the few that decided they didn't like her.]

Up For Love: Hell to the yes?!

Other: ...Can't think of anything for other! :P
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

367 Reviews

Reviews: 367
Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:40 am
Mizzle says...

Name: Contessa Grace

Nicknames: Tessa, Tess, TG

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Power: She can see the future; only small glimpses of the broad future, but when she touches someone she sees their specific future in a quick rush inside her head. Otherwise, she only can see small glimpses.

Diagnosis: Anxiety/Panic disorder/mild insanity

History: She was born in New York, to an upper-class family who was filthy rich. At the age of five she started seeing small "daydreams" as she thought of them then, except the "daydreams" would come true. By age seven, she was seeing a person's whole future when she touched them in any way. At nine years old, her anxiety and panic disorders appeared when she held her father's hand and saw that he would die that night. With her father dead, and her mother declaring Tessa's insanity, Tessa was shipped off to Lyle House at age eleven, because her mother didn't want her to embarrass the family's name. Since then, Tessa never uses her last name, she just goes by Tessa Grace.

Personality: Anti-social, because she doesn't like to get attached to anyone because everyone she's ever loved has either hurt her, betrayed her, or died--and she's seen all of it in her eyes, because of her "gift." Tessa can also be very depressed and sometimes may seem suicidal when she doesn't take her meds. She's a nervous wreck and mumbles words to no one and sometimes lapses out when she gets a vision. Truly, she's the weird girl that no one wants to be friends with; a loner. Besides that she can be very moody and snappy, but tends to be more of the quiet one who only speaks when she really has something to say.

Up For Love: Yep, if you can handle all that ^^

Other: N/A

**Is this okay instead of a pyromaniac?**
"Chase your dreams, and remember me, speak bravery,
Because after all, those wings will take you up so high."
-- Owl City, "To the Sky"
✯ ✯ ✯

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:53 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

I've read (an loved) the series myself! I even made a SB similar to this, although it didn't do very well. I'm in!
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:56 pm
Razcoon says...

So...is this thing dead already?
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:03 pm
jemjive says...

Well I'm not joining, (sorry) I am kind of busy lately.. Just wanted to say that these books are AMAZING! :)
Your motor's unstable,
Your like an
Undwinding
Cable
Car

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:38 pm
austenite says...

I'm in!! Sounds good!

Name: Nathalie (Nat for short) Dumas

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Power: She has the power to control the wind and the air.

Diagnosis: Doesn't link up to her power as such, but she has and is diagnosed with insomnia, which in turn leads to the doctors diagnosing her with anti-social behaviour.

History: Nat grew up in the bad suburbs of San Diego. Her father had been MIA since she was 4, her older brother a doped up druggie and her mother an alcoholic who spent her nights as a 'waitress' at the local bar. Nat never knew there was anything different about her, not until she was 13 when one day at school she got into a fight - one of many throughout the course of her childhood - when a freakish gust of wind pinned her opponent down. Nat never thought any more about this growing up, until one day someone came to her house and told her that they were from a child protection agency, and she was going into foster care - at Lyle House. Now she's fed pills and told to get along with the other kids - something Nat is not good at doing, especially when her powers are coming into full circle.

Personality: Nat is not a shy person, but she's not Miss. Talkative either. She won't participate in group conversations unless forced, or think her opinion is worth it. She can be snappish at times, and because she was unloved as a child is very wary of people who try to get close to her. Hence the insomnia, as she doesn't trust people. She loves the fresh air and wind, which is a big part of her power (she doesn't know it yet), and is very attuned her her natural settings.

Up For Love: Yes
I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple, every character flaw. I was naked for a day; you will be naked for eternity.
Chaucer, A Knight's Tale

Deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.
Oscar Wilde

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:03 am
XChangeX says...

Is this dead? I really hope not. I LOVE these books and have been itching to do an SB based on them!
The only constant in our lives is Change.

Revelations 21:4
He will wipe every tear from their eye. There will be no more mourning or death or pain. There will be no more crying for the old way of things has gone away.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss