z

Young Writers Society

The Mirror Rhymes

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:02 pm
SishBee says...

Ok, everyone is whatever they want to be, but somehow, their character relates (in any way you like) to a nursary rhyme.

We are living in a huge indoor city in the future, so you can have all sorts of technology. There is a network called the Mirror world which can be accessed by saying your rhyme and toutching a mirror. Once in the mirror world, everything becomes a shadow. You must make-sure that you are out of the mirror world before a Shard traps you there. A Shard, is a creature living in the mirror world for ever. They cannot be killed unless they come out of the mirror world. [when in the mirror world write in italics]

Recently, rebels have gone against the State and now are on the run. You can be a rebel or a member of the State or a Shard.

Name: Kayle

Rhyme: Mary had a little lamb.

Appearance: Long blonde hair which she keeps up in a complicated hairstyle with knives and darts hidden in it. She has brown eyes and is tall and slim but stronger than she looks. She wears green trousers and a t-shirt with brown boots and a ragged black cloak. She often keeps the hood up.

Personality: A loner and is slow to trust people, but once she does she is a very good friend. She has a sharp toungue which often gets her into trouble.

Other: She has a small lamb called Baker who follows her around, hence the rhyme.

~SishBee~
x
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:57 pm
Rydia says...

Oooh, this looks interesting!

Name= Jaqueline Thompson

Nickname= Jackie or Jack

Age= 19

Gender= Female

Rhyme= Jack and Jill

Family= A twin sister called Jillian (Jill) Thompson.

Appearance= Long, curly brown hair and clear, blue eyes. She tends to wear a plain, pale blue top and black trousers, very unlike the pretty dresses her sister wears. She also has a thin, jagged scar across her forehead, usually covered by a wisp of hair.

History= A few years ago, Jack and Jill ventured to the top of a mountain because the stream that provided their village with water had stopped running. They found that a recent landslide had caused some boulders to cut off the source of the river and skillfully managed to move them but while doing so, they set off another landslide and were both swept to the base of the mountain. Jill was barely injured but Jack received a deep gash to her head. The injury was too severe to be treated in the village so both girls were taken to the indoor city and after recovering, Jack and Jill decided they didn't want to leave.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:44 pm
motherflippinflapjacks says...

This sounds awesome. I'm totally in.

Name: Mary Tudor

Nickname: Bloody Mary

Rhyme: Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Family: King Henry VIII (father), Queen Catherine a.k.a Catherine of Aragon (Mother), King Edward VI (half brother), Queen Elizabeth I (half sister).

Appearance: She is 5'7", has wavy coal black hair, piercing green eyes, a medium to tan complexion, and a slim build. On her wrist there is a small mark that looks like a heart, and some say that the mark is her actual heart because she doesn't act like she has a real one in her chest.

History: Bloody Mary Tudor was a princess of royal blood from both her mother and father's ancestors. Mary was born to be a Queen and had a noble bearing. In her youth she was considered to be pretty and had a love for fine clothes and jewels. The bitter divorce between her mother, Catharine of Aragon and King Henry VIII changed the character of Mary. The treatment of her mother and the threat to herself if she failed to acknowledge the new status of her beloved mother and her own status turned her into a bitter woman at a young age. In this new reality, her mother is cast far away from her father and Mary must go with her mother. In this world, she often ventures out from the castle she is forced to stay and moves with the rebels (working under the guise of a statesman), where she discovers many different people, places, and knowledge of how to acquire power back in the far away lands of her father.

Personality: Mary is a very intellegent young woman, with stunning looks and plenty of power. She doesn't feel very much love at all for her father and her half-sister, Elizabeth. And those who align themselves with their names (or the state) are all against her. Elizabeth keeps her friends very close and most who become friends of her must find a way to earn her trust. She has a very low tolerance for people who disobey her and she has no problem crushing her enemy or potential enemy if she feels that they might get in the way of something she needs, has, or wants. She blends in well with her surroundings, however, and never lets her true self appear to those around her she is not familiar with.
Last edited by motherflippinflapjacks on Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I wonder if Ryan realizes that he's really twelve and a passenger on the Titanic." ~ A loving friend

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:00 am
Bella says...

Name: Jacob Blue

Rhyme: Little Boy Blue

History: Lived on a farm for most of his life, blowing that stupid horn for his stupid family who refused to listen to him when he told them he was too smart to live on a farm his whole life. He finally got sick to death of the sheep and the cows and corn, and began writing. He wrote a little rhyme about his life, and fell through his mirror.

Note: He is now stuck in the mirror world, as a Shard. He desperately wishes to leave, however, and doesn't want to condem others to his fate.
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:22 am
Rydia says...

Jacqueline

"Are you ready, Jack?" my sister, Jill, called up the stairs.

"Almost!" I shouted back, snatching a jacket from where it lay in a crumpled heap upon my bed. I slipped my arms through the sleeves and glanced briefly in the mirror before exiting the room and locking the door behind me. Jill and I were currently staying in a small hotel room and it didn't hurt to be cautious with what few belongings we had.

"Come on, we're going to be late," Jill sighed as I reached her and together we exited into the streets. Well, I say streets but to be honest, it's just another building. The whole of the indoor city is like that; buildings inside buildings inside a building. A thousand corridoors and rooms, some fashioned to look like the outside world but none of them actually outside.

"How long have we got?" I asked Jill when I realised that in my hurry I had left my watch behind. She lifted her identical arm and informed me that it was 'almost eight' and we were therefore 'almost late.'

"Must you always talk in rhymes?" I sighed and then pushed open the door to the Town Hall.
Writing Gooder

52 Reviews

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:16 am
ELven-Maiden says...

oooh, awesome!!!

I have no time now, though. Give me a while; I'll come up with a character...
Give me time, i'll crit your work XD I promise.
GO HORACE!
I have some IA on Venus, but I don't know how long it'll last. my com's getting crushed.
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."~Carl Jung, psychologist and psychiatrist.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:21 pm
TNCowgirl says...

I'll try this, even though it seems a little confussing

Name: Colt

Rhyme: Horesy Horsey

Appearance: short croped hair, sharp green eyes, tan skin, broad shouldered and about 6'6.

Personality: He is like a big teddy bear, but he can growl like a real bear. He can whoop most anyone he has met but welcomes defeat if it comes. He is very protective to anyone he is close to. You'll see more later on :D

Other: He loves horses, hence the rhyme, loves working with them and all that, but he is a Rebal all the way.
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:02 pm
death5614 says...

Name: Dani

Race: Shard

Rhyme: London Bridges

Appearance: Short, skinny, long black hair with red streaks, sharp fangs like a vampire. Black eyes, wearing

Personality: Mean. Untrustworthy, doestn't like to socialize, very defensive and aggresive

Other: Lives under a broken Bridge in the mirror world (the ryhm)
Im not as think as you dumb i am...

52 Reviews

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:56 pm
SishBee says...

Kayle had been tracking the Shard for about a week now. He lived on his own and didn't seem to like talking to the others.

She had watched him fight another Shard when one had tried to steal some shadow- bread off him.

Kayle liked this guy. He was like her in many ways and she had been trying to find out his name, although she had guessed he wouldn't have become quite as attatched to her as she had to him.

He was bleeding a little from a wound he had sustained during the fight which was making him even easier to track.

She wasn't sure if he knew he was being trailed, but she didn't really care, she was researching the Shards for the Rebels, but if she got stuck in this world she wouldn't be missed.

~SishBee~
x
-Oscar Wilde

52 Reviews

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:48 pm
ELven-Maiden says...

Name: #28 1/2 is on her birth certificate, but she wants to be called Christy.

Race: human, rebel.

rhyme: The Lady Who Lived in a Shoe

Family: The list goes on forever. In fact, her Mom stopped naming her children after the first 13 because it was easier to just give them numbers. However, one thing I will say: her twin brother. #1/2 28, is State. And she's found of her littl sister, #36 (Desi)

appearance: Long, ash-blond hair and fair skin. Pastel blue eyes. Sort of reminds people of a washed-out canvas painting.

Personality: Used to crowds but doesn't particularly enjoy them, straightfoward, determined to get things her way. She can be a little pushy, but she's fun to be around. Tries not to talk about her family, but sometimes she will slip into a story about her brother or sister. Especially when she's drunk XD.

History: Comes from a poor family. After Jack killed the giant, Christy's mother took the boot and made it into a house. It got waaaaay too crowded for her, and she ran away. Her mother noticed she was gone days after. Joined the rebels.
Last edited by ELven-Maiden on Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Give me time, i'll crit your work XD I promise.
GO HORACE!
I have some IA on Venus, but I don't know how long it'll last. my com's getting crushed.
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."~Carl Jung, psychologist and psychiatrist.

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:17 am
Saphira says...

*This seems interesting*

Name: Clarissa (Human, rebel)

Rhyme: Baa Baa Black sheep.

Appearance: Long black curly hair which she wears down. She has green eyes and dark olive skin. She wears black clothes and dark drown boots. She has hidden daggers in her clothes and is constantly preparing for attacks from shards.

Personality: She is quick to trust people but is always trying to find out peoples true intentions.

Other: She wonders through the mirror world helping people who become trapped or injured and spends her time on the outside defying the government and killing shards.

Clarissa followed the shard as she stalked through the mirror world. She turned to see she wasn't the only one stalking this shard but the other human didn't seem to have noticed her in her dark clothing.

This could get interesting.
*all i've got for now*
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!

52 Reviews

Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:25 pm
SishBee says...

Kayle had finally decided she would grab him today. She had stalked twice around where he was no, and she was sure she knew the place well enough to make an emergancy get-away.

She circled around behind him silently and threw her hand over his mouth. He tried to bite her with his sharp fangs, but she had been prepared for that, she stuck a piece of shadowwood in his mouth and his fangs stuck.

She kicked his feet out from under him and he fell to the floor with a grunt. He hissed at her from the floor and she drew out a knife from the hem of her cloak and put it to his throat. He stopped struggling but continued to hiss words she couldn't make out.

"Quit hissing at me idiot, you don't want to make this any harder for yourself."

He hissed something else at her and then kicked Baker who was snuffling round his feet.

"Ok, you just made it harder."

In one swift movement she removed a dart from her hair, loaded her pipe and shot him in the neck. The hissing died down and he closed his eyes as the dart worked its magic.

"Nighty night." She grabbed him by the collar and hauled himup onto her shoulder.

"Baker, here. Lets hope he realises when he wakes up that we are doing him a favour."

She glanced over at the shadowy figure on the broken bridge above them and smiled, she had saved this Shard, but why?

~SishBee~
x
-Oscar Wilde

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:39 pm
motherflippinflapjacks says...

Mary paced her bedroom floor. She had recieved new information regarding a supposed war with her father who now lived in the shadow world. Apparently, there was an uprising in the mirror world and the shards were planning on a secret attack in an attempt to kill several important leaders to the rebel cause. Mary's mother was supposed to be one of those rebel leaders killed.

She was scared for her mother, but knew that she shouldn't show fear. That was a sign of a weak leader, and she was no weak leader. No, she would send all of those shards to the gallows, including her father.

She needed to go to rebel headquarters which was on the 2 floor of the dome and retrieve her assignment for entering the mirror world. Once she had done that, she would assemble a small army to attack the few shards planning war against the rebels.

As for right now, she was going to call upon Rachel to bring her the new gown she had made for her last week. She was going to make an appearance tonight.
"I wonder if Ryan realizes that he's really twelve and a passenger on the Titanic." ~ A loving friend

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:18 pm
Rydia says...

Jacqueline

Fortunately, the meeting had not yet begun when Jill and I slipped into the town hall so we claimed two vacant seats towards the back and gratefully settled into the crowd.

"I'd like to make an announcement," Michael, a prominent member of the government stepped forward and waited for the hushed voices to die down before proceeding. "Activity in the mirror world has been rising and the rebels are growing in strength. We need your help. Each one of you could make a difference..." I blocked out his voice as he slipped into the age old speech and I could see that Jill was paying just as little attention. Afterall, why would such things interest two ordinary girls who had grown up in a small village far from the inner city?
Writing Gooder

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:16 pm
Saphira says...

Clarissa continued to follow the human with the shard. She couldn't follow for long though or it would get harder for her to leave the mirror world.
Picking up a piece of shadow wood she held it in front of her as she walked. She didn't want to use her daggers if she didn't need to.
Looking around she saw no inclination at what time it was and if she didn't hurry up she would be late for the meeting. Non of the rebels knew that she joined these meeting but she couldn't help wanting to know what was going on in the outside world.
She followed the human until she saw her stiffen and slightly turn her head. Had she been heard? Clarissa quickly dropped into a low crouch and stayed still, hoping the human girl hadn't heard her. She hadn't talked to humans in along time and it could get awkward.
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!

I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights