z

Young Writers Society

Outcasts of Rolmar (discussion thread?)

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:00 am
AWritersFantasy says...

Rules:
-No controlling other people's characters unless they're NPCs (or minor characters, basically the same thing).
-Try to keep it in third person, past tense. If you have to write it in present tense, keep it in third person.
-No mixing of eras in terms of technology or otherwise (so no modern day weapons that wouldn't fit in to a medieval/fantasy setting).
-Try not to write anything shorter than a paragraph.
-No God characters, and no God-moding/autoing (assuming that a person's character takes a hit when in combat).
-If needed, we can make this a non-turn bsaed RP, so that we don't have to wait X amount of days for someone to post.
-I'm personally not a huge fan of vampires, so I'd like to avoid bringing them in to this as much as possible.
-Magical creatures are allowed, just don't go overboard in creating them (especially if they're not an all ready known species, like dragons, unicorns, etc).
-PLEASE spellcheck posts before posting.
-I reserve the right to add on to these rules at any time if needed.

As far as magic goes, I'd say you can have the basic elements (water, fire, air, earth) for abilities, but also things such as shapeshifting, becoming invisible, and talking to animals as sort of sub-elements.

As far as the plot goes, the only basic idea I have is that the Outcasts of Rolmar are a group of magic users that have come close to extinction. If needed, we can turn this in to a discussion thread in order to get some plotting done before we start writing. There could be like...I dunno, factions of magic users or something. I really don't have that many ideas, so help me out. :|

Character name:
Character species (human, elf, half-elf, etc):
Character age:
Appearance:
Weapon(s)/any itmes (staff, necklace, etc):
Personality:
Magic ability(ies):
Background:

Feel free to add on to the profile information if you need to.

At the moment the plot is pretty open, so if you have any ideas and want to be part of this, feel free to give them. Once I have more of an idea of the story, I'll post the information about my own character.

Sorry for listing so many rules. I get kinda nitpicky about stuff. XD This is my first storybook thing, so yay! :D

Reviews: 1
Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:30 pm
Rasi says...

This sounds cool, I like the story idea.. and would be willing to join it if you start it up!
I would rather you hate me, than love me.
If you never really know me.

59 Reviews

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:08 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

I don't have many ideas for this thing. >.> So if it gets started up, I'd like to have more of a general idea of what's going to happen so that people don't get lost and the story kinda goes dead because we run out of things to do. >.> So if you have any ideas, feel free to share them.

Reviews: 1
Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:20 pm
Rasi says...

How about the kingdom is falling apart, in its time of need this small group of 'magicians' approaches the king in hopes of helping. And instead the king outcasts them for blasphemy...... ( they said he cant do it alone )
I would rather you hate me, than love me.
If you never really know me.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:38 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

I'd like to join, my character will be a shapeshifter :)

Character name: Saeran
Character species:halfling
Character age: late teens
Appearance:Being a halfling, around 3 1/2 feet tall, loose pants, leather sandals, tunic and white undershirt, special forearm and shin bracers. Has bone-white chin-length hair and vivid green eyes. Skin is a slight tan.
Weapon(s)/any items: Is a very good martial artist, but uses a staff that can change length when she is in human form. Special locket around neck in the shape of a closed book (no magical properties).
Personality: Calm, forgiving, very knowledgable, prefers to use wits rather then fists to duke out a bad situation.
Magic ability(ies): Shapeshifter
Background: Comes from a city to the north, where she is a outcast because she is a halfling and shapeshifter. Is constantly moving. Enjoys talking and learning about places and people. Never talks about the northern city- if someone brings it up, she will glare at them and slip out of conversation.
Main phobia: "Those giants." Saeran is very afraid of orcs or anything taller then a normal human. Afraid of heights when not in a animal form.
Battle Form (Speed or Strength): Speed.

Anyway, for story ideas: the King puts up a reward on the severed head of a evil sorcerer who has been harassing food caravans, report to the royal palace for information. XD
That way we get to deal with other teams searching for the bounty and magical creatures and a massive bad-guy hideout XD
ohmeohmy

59 Reviews

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:50 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Rasi wrote:How about the kingdom is falling apart, in its time of need this small group of 'magicians' approaches the king in hopes of helping. And instead the king outcasts them for blasphemy...... ( they said he cant do it alone )

Mmm, that could work for the reason they're outcasts. I was imagining that they've all ready been outcasted. Like...for maybe 20-50 years or something, and they're close to extinction so they have to make a come back and stuff. Or something. o.o That's basically all I thought of. I'm having trouble coming up with other ideas. >.>

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:14 pm
Dark Lordess says...

What if the kingdom is being invaded/attacked and the King, like Rasi said, is too arrogant to get help, so the people are pretty much doomed. The mages could be trying to help secretly or something.
If you have to ask me why I write, you would never understand...

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:14 pm
Dark Lordess says...

What if the kingdom is being invaded/attacked and the King, like Rasi said, is too arrogant to get help, so the people are pretty much doomed. The mages could be trying to help secretly or something.
If you have to ask me why I write, you would never understand...

59 Reviews

Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:22 am
AWritersFantasy says...

Mmm. That could work. I think in the back of my mind I'm trying to turn these people in to Jedi-like-people, which isn't really what I want to do. x.x Bah.

I really need to get some more ideas for this thing to play around with. Right now it's just kinda "eh."

280 Reviews

Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:12 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Jedi? 0_o You mean like a order of people who are hired out?

Here's an idea: the kingdom is split into four major provinces, and the lord of so-and-so province is killing off his people and bringing in new ones, so a rebellion arises? That would be perfect excuse for mercenaries such as ourselves:)
ohmeohmy

59 Reviews

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:39 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Mmm, no, not really. o_O I need to attempt to rethink this a bit. Maybe it should be more like...the group isn't already estableshed, but Event X happens, thus making so-and-so begin to form the group to rebel against the bad guys who are causing Event X...

...which is a bit cliche/overused, but, eh. It's all for fun. (Sorry for the late reply.)

280 Reviews

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:51 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Cliche can be fun for RPG groups, because everybody twists it. Well. Whenever you decide to start it, PM me :roll: :)
ohmeohmy

59 Reviews

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:19 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Very true.

I dunno. I'm having a hard time thinking of many ideas for my latest story, never mind this. X.X I've attempted to get some ideas, but I haven't gotten many outside of these:

- A sword of power hidden in a small, hunble shrine. The Monks know the sword's abilities and have vowed to protect it against evil for generations.

- An older, tough rogue with ties to the royal family.
- An Elven queen whose kingdom was completely destroyed by evil and now she is on a quest for revenge. She carries a bow, a magical amulet and wears a golden circlet and has minor healing abilities.
- A huge, ancient forest filled with forgotten mythological creatures.
- A vast desert that was cursed by a vengeful god. The heros must cross it in order to get wherever they need to go.

-Creature: Beings with bodies composed of crystal. They are "born" when a dead human's soul "attaches" to the crystal. (This one was an alien I never used ('^^)

...which aren't so much RPing ideas, really, as they are story/character ideas.

I particuarly like the rogue ideas, but again that's more of a story idea rather than a RP idea at the moment...the forest might be interesting. But beyond these, I've got nothing, really, besides the original idea. x.x

I guess if I had a fairly detailed background idea for what's going on in the world this is taking place in, I'd be able to go from there, but I don't. We could always skip the original idea, change the title of it, and think of something new along any of these ideas. Or something. o___o

Gaaaaha. At least I'm only having writer's block with this and not with my Watcher story. >.>

280 Reviews

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:46 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Why don't you let me start it?

I personally very much like my rebellion idea :) but...yeah. Just start it whenever :P
ohmeohmy

59 Reviews

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:35 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

You're free to be the first one to post, but I'm not 100% sure about the rebellion thing. I'm actually thinking that I want to skip the orignal idea I had and sort of bring in some of my ideas from my Watcher story in to it instead. I have some basic enough ideas about the Watcher story that there's room to work with it, and maybe I'll get some ideas to use towards it.

Would it be better to just start a new thread or edit the title of this one and edit the first post, or edit the first post but also reply with the new ideas? o.O

uwu
— soundofmind