Young Writers Society

The Grangor

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:37 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The smell of the food should have brought a smile to his face, but he kept his mouth in a thin line as he entered the dining hall. The smell made him feel nauseous; he couldn't help but imagine what the effects of ingesting food that would conflict with his essence would be. But he had become quite good at ignoring the growing sense of nausea, so he silently made his way over to the table set aside for their little group and sat down in one of the empty seats.

He grabbed a variety of different foods. A glance around the dining hall gave him a clue on what was considered the most socially acceptable food to eat - or, at the very least, the most popular - so he made sure to grab mainly foods that he saw being eaten by other people. He grabbed a few less popular ones as well, wanting to give the illusion that he had a decent and somewhat normal sense of taste.

He grabbed one of the pastries from his plate and took a quiet bite out of it. His essence recoiled in disgust, but he forced it to deal with the influx of foreign material.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:55 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Tasha smiled despite herself as she took in a breath of the warm meal. It'd been forever since she'd eaten something real like this; even before the grangor she'd been on the move.

"Thank you, Bo," she said with a gracious dip of her head, trying to keep the apprehension out of her tone. The large man - dragon - still made her a bit nervous.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:13 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo smiled down at her. "Of course! What kind of hosts would we be if we didn't feed you?"

Spoiler! :
@Lael i know you're super busy but i want to give you a chance to reply if you'd like! <3
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:43 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

Spoiler! :
I’ll try to get something in this week, but feel free to keep going without a post from me.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:26 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"Feeding is one thing, and feeding well is another," she answered with a chuckle. "Even the barracks back home don't give us food that smells this good."
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:36 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Seung's stomach growled as he eyed the food, and he blushed, glancing self-consciously at the others. Although he was eager to dig into breakfast, as a medic he was especially aware that he could still pass germs to others and get them sick, so he tried to avoid touching common items as much as possible.

Tavis, on the other hand, called out "Thank you!" and dove for all the different options in an unreserved manner, despite the fact that he'd never seen most of them in his entire life. These people were nice, so no need to get suspicious of their food; therefore, there was no need for hesitation in helping oneself. Food wouldn't eat itself, after all.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:00 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

As the other members of their little group chatted, Maahes slowly ate the meal he had put together. His gaze lingered on James. He wouldn't outright ask if he would sit beside him; it would reveal just how uncomfortable he felt here, and weakness was something he couldn't afford to show.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:03 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo seated himself at the table beside Seung and Tavis, piling enough food on his plate fit for a man of his size. So, a lot.

James, however, slid in quietly between Tasha and Maahes, taking more meager portions. It wasn’t that he was ungrateful, or even that he wasn’t hungry. He just hadn’t had meals of that size in… well, he couldn’t remember when, and he didn’t trust his stomach to just take it in stride. That much, he’d learned about himself.

He was glad that Tasha looked happy to be fed, and sent her a small smile before his eyes drifted over to Maahes’s plate, which looked surprisingly full. When was the last time Maahes had eaten? James couldn’t even remember a time he’d seen Maahes eat… but then again, he’d only seen Maahes twice, and each in very odd circumstances where stopping for lunch wouldn’t have made any sense whatsoever.

Maahes though, out of all of them, looked the least thrilled about eating. Though he’d filled his plate, he almost looked uncomfortable.

He leaned in towards Maahes, trying to be subtle.

“Is the food okay?”

Meanwhile, Bo started to chat as the others began to eat.

“So! Tasha. What’s your favorite food? Maybe we can make it for ya tomorrow, depending on how long you all stay.”
Spoiler! :

THIS DREAM THAT WE THOUGHT WE WERE SAFE TO FORGET, TO BURY AND SAY OUR ADIEUS

ON THE DAY OF THE FOOL, DEATH WILL TURN A BLIND EYE, AND YORICK WILL DUST OFF HIS SHOES

WHEN THE REAPER DOTH LAY DOWN HIS TERRIBLE SCYTHE TO FOLLOW THE WARM WEATHER WEST

YORICK, PUT BACK ON YOUR DANCING SHOES, AND RISE UP TO CALL FORTH THE NEXT.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:28 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"The food is fine," Maahes said, giving a smile he didn't really feel. He took a casual bite out of another pastry. It was difficult ignoring the way his essence recoiled in disgust and mild indigestion at the foreign substance, but he had years of practice under his belt.

...At least, he thought he did. The wince he gave when he took another bite said otherwise.

Spoiler! :

ON THE DAY OF THE FOOL, DEATH WILL TURN A BLIND EYE, AND YORICK WILL DUST OFF HIS SHOES

WHEN THE REAPER DOTH LAY DOWN HIS TERRIBLE SCYTHE TO FOLLOW THE WARM WEATHER WEST

mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:56 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James watched Maahes closely. He noticed the wince.

"...If you don't feel well, or you're not hungry, you don't have to eat it," James whispered. He knew there could be a number of reasons why someone wouldn't want to eat - he'd probably experienced most of them.

"I can just tell them either of those reasons. If they give a fuss about it I'll - well, I'll shut them up. One way or another."
Spoiler! :

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:56 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"I'm fine," Maahes reassured him, a little more emphasis behind it this time. "I just was surprised by the taste."

He took an ambitious bite out of the pastry to prove that he had absolutely no problem with eating it-

-Only to stiffen when his essence resisted it more than it had resisted the other, smaller pieces. For the love of Altera, why couldn't his essence just let him get away with eating food once?
mage

queer and here.

People ask if I ever experience writer's block and I just have to laugh... that's my default position.
— Aaron Sorkin