z

Young Writers Society

Hell On Earth

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:14 pm
Kelcia says...

Sasha

Sasha sighed and pulled the dagger from the tree. He took a moment to look at the names. He recognized a few, but there were many more he didn’t.

“It’s the way things work,” he said, turning to Paige. “When there’s a war on, at any rate. Sometimes even the most cautious plans can go wrong. And sometimes,” He stopped and glared pointedly at her, “More caution and clearer wits are needed.”

“But, you know,” he said as she was about to make an angry reply. “I’m sure, if this was a war movie, we’d both be enjoying it.” He laughed and handed her dagger back.
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Is it just me, or are the plot bunnies taking advantage of my ADD?

OmnomnomRandomPlotDetourOmnomnom

Right.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:31 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Paige:

I took the dagger off him and put it back where it belonged. He was right.

"I guess," I mumbled and sat down at the base of the tree again.

Sasha watched me sulk for a moment. We didn't say anything for a long time.

"I won't get plastered before a raid anymore," I muttered and looked up at Sasha. "I should be sober if we're going out on a raid....so I don't screw up again..."

I looked away, suddenly nervous and hugged my knees.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:54 pm
cosby says...

Anthony

Anthony knelt on the ground, feeling the wet earth press against his bare skin where the jeans had ripped. He was blinking back tears, desperate for no-one to see them; it wouldn't be a good impression for the Vipers to see him crying.

In front of him was a giant mound of fresh earth. Next to him was a piece of wood, carved with dozens of names. The second to last one read Edward Devon.

Anthony dug into his shirt pulling a small cloth, wrapped tightly against something. Unwrapping it, he pulled out a small photograph. It showed a man and woman hugging with two young children playing by their feet. It had been taken when Anthony was four, before his mother had become ill. Before the war.

Looking at the wooden board with it's names carved on, he wondered how many more people would die before the war ended. How many would be children? And then there would be the after effects of the nuclear bombs that everyone was threatening to chuck at the other. People would still by feeling the affects of this war in hundreds of years; the thought made him shiver.

Putting the photo back in the cloth, back in his shirt, he stood up. His eyes searched the field for a glimpse of Paige, and saw her with another boy next to a tree. His fingers were fingering his new gun again, but he pulled them away and started to walk towards the girl.

He was going to ask exactly how his brother had died.
- From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it -

- If the doctor told me I had 6 minutes left to live, I'd type faster -

I laugh at my own signature. Sad? Yes.

24 Reviews

Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:56 pm
Kelcia says...

Sasha

Sasha smiled down at Paige. He was always glad when someone gave up a bad habit. He had been in a cheerful mood for a week straight when his father gave up smoking.

Of course, Sasha knew that alcohol withdrawal would kick in a few days after Paige stopped drinking. He knew she would be even more edgy and delusional then than she had ever been while drunk. He would have to keep an eye out for her… just in case.

Out loud, he said “Good. I’m glad,” and offered her a piece of gum. She hesitated.

“Great time to start,” he said winking. “I hear this stuff can be a real pick-me-up. But that’s just a rumor.” He laughed again and went back to his post a few feet away.
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Right.

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:23 pm
AliceRose says...

*Regan*

I left the boy with the others to go and make sure everything was going smoothly. I walked for a few minutes when I saw Paige and Sasha. Paige was sitting on the ground, with her knees to her chest and Sasha looked like he didn't quite know what to do.

I gritted my teeth. Paige wasn't doing as she was told. She was supposed to be watching and she wasn't doing shit.

I stalked over to them. "Get up." I bit out at Paige.

She looked at me with wide eyes and did what I told her to. "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

She blinked, trying to clear her head. "I...I was j-just-"

I shoved her back and she stumbled. My Irish temper was showing its ugly face. "You're supposed to be watching the camp borders!" I shouted. "Since you weren't doing that, some kid showed up and was able to cross them without so much as a scratch on him, and your sitting here, drunk and whining to Sasha!"

"Um, actually, Regan-"

"Go back to your work, Kozlov." I said, cutting him off. He nodded stiffly and walked away. I turned my attention back to Paige. "You know, maybe you aren't cut out for this."

She shook her head. "No, Regan, I am, I swear I am!"

"Then why the hell are you getting drunk before a raid?!" I practically screamed at her. "All the cogs have to be in working order, Paige, or the machine doesn't work!"

"I know. I'm sorry! I promised I wouldn't get drunk before a raid anymore."

"You won't be getting drunk for a while now, period." I said coldly. "The only reason you'll be getting a drink is if you're badly wounded. You're on probation."

With that, I turned on my heel and walked away. I walked back underground. I saw Bettina working on her plane. "Hey, Betty, you gonna be able to run this for the raid today?"

"Yeah,Reggie, I should be able to use it." she said with a grin, using the nickname I hated and usually beat someone for using. But I liked Bettina, so I didn't think I would be doing that too soon.

"Alrighty. I need to go on back up."

"M'kay." she said, going back to work.

When I emerged again, I saw the boy, Anthony, over in the cemetery area. "You, Anthony!" I called out to him. He stopped. He had been walking in Paige's direction, but he now turned and looked at me.

I walked up to him and put my hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry about your brother." I said softly. "He was a good soldier, and he was extremely dedicated to the cause." The kids eyes got teary, but he turned away quickly so I wouldn't see.

I sighed. "I have something for you."

I took him under into the living area. I went over to Eddie's bunk, which hadn't been cleared of his stuff yet. I reached under his bed and pulled out two books. I handed them to Anthony. "He talked about you a lot, and said that if anyone was going to get here, it was you. He told me that if he died before you got here, to give you these."

He opened up one of the books to see a photo album of him and his family. He choked back a sob as he looked through the pages. "And this is an American History book. He said that you would understand how important it is."

He took it and nodded. "Our mom used to read it to us when we were little before bed."

I touched his shoulder. "I can't let you be a Viper yet, Anthony. You're too young." Before he could say anything, I continued. "But, I would like to have you around. I want you to stay here and guard camp. I usually leave one or two people around because we have some really valuable stuff around. Would you be up for that?"

He thought about it for a minute, and then nodded. I smiled and slapped him on the back. "Then get you're ass in gear and come and help us get ready for the raid!"
We're all a bit mad...

16 Reviews

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:43 pm
cosby says...

Anthony

"Then get your ass in gear and come and help us get ready for the raid!" Regan said, slapping Anthony on the back. She turned to go, but he spoke before she could.

"Wait! Can I- can I have my brothers bunk?" he asked. It felt like a silly request, but it felt important to him. Regan seemed to understand, although she shook her head.

"I can't," she said. "Everyone is sorted into different dormitory's, then into special bunks. They're split into boys and girls, then age, then temperament - you know, its to make sure the kids don't murder each other in the night." she shivered.

"You mean, some of you have murdered each other? On purpose?" he added, remembering Paige.

Regan nodded. "Yes. That's why sleeping arrangements are so carefully planned. I suppose you will have to go in D block - that's with the sixteen year olds. You should be all right,"

Now Anthony shivered. He was beginning to realize that being with Vipers was just as dangerous as standing in a field of landmine's - perhaps more so, as he was in a field full of landmine's. "Okay. So, uh, what do you want me to do?"
- From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it -

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:20 pm
Scion of Fangor says...

Gonna be away for a couple of day, so if someone could talk control of Alex for me it would be greatly appreciated. :D

"Then get you're ass in gear and come and help us get ready for the raid!". Alex could hear Regan from the other side of the camp. He'd always liked her method of leadership. Tell them what to do and scream at them if they don't. As he slowly began to wonder towards Regan he began stroking the notches in his rifle. He called his rifle Gaurdian Angel and each notch represented a kill. There where twelve notches. Thirteen time lucky eh?

He wondered where they'd be attacking today. He wondered how many more notches would be carved onto the barrel of his Gaurdian Angel. One notch, two notches?
GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:36 pm
Threnody says...

Bettina:

Anthony looked really lost as I rolled my plane into position. I got out and went up to him.

"Hey kid... havin' fun already?" I asked him grinning. I twirled my pistol and stuck it into my boot.

He looked at me and I could see he was having second thoughts.

"Bettina... we're leaving in T minus 34 minutes. Ya ready?" Regan asked as she ran up behind me.

"Yep... I'm going to paint my plane with some more of that fire proof stuff. At least it'll stop it from catching on the outside. It won't do anything if the engine blows though..." I tried to look cheerful but I was worried as hell. The operation was going to take place a few miles from here in the outskirts of New York, the axis had little bases set up for arial attacks as well as ground based.

"All you need to do is keep an eye on us and shoot down whatever's in our way." Regan said. I saluted.

"Anthony... I'm gonna need you in my plane with me." I said after she left.

"What?" He said surprised.

"Yeah... just grab a gun and shoot stuff from above. You've had the training. I need to focus on blowing things up." I put this as simply as possible. He nodded and started to get his stuff together.
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

24 Reviews

Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:44 pm
Kelcia says...

Sasha

Sasha jogged into the base and began to get ready for the next assault. Heading to his bunk, he strapped his Uzi to his back, put his 9mm in its holster, re-loaded the glock, and sharpened his jackknife. True, it was probably more than he really needed, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

He hurried from his room to meet the others of his group at their station. He passed Paige on the way. She looked extremely careworn, so he paused a moment.

“Chin up, bottle down. You’ll be fine.” He grinned and slapped her on the back. “See you out there.”

“Yeah,” she said. “Thanks.”
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Right.

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:28 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Victoria

I listened to the conversations outside. A new kid, apparently, who wanted to be a Viper. I smiled inwardly as I twisted some metal into the shell for a bomb. He had no idea what he was getting into. I twisted some wires together, and polarized a battery with magnets. I put it inside, and used my knife to make a notch in the shell. I slipped in as much gunpowder as I could fit, and a mini Colorado screen, which I hooked to the battery. I screwed it in, careful not to touch the timer. Bombs away. I added it to the small pile I had going. I would do all I could to play my part, even if I couldn't walk. Not yet, anyway.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

16 Reviews

Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:54 pm
cosby says...

Anthony

"Yeah... just grab a gun and shoot stuff from above. You've had the training. I need to focus on blowing things up." said Bettina, looking just a tiny bit stressed. Anthony nodded and started getting ready. Every now and then, he looked dubiously at Bettina's plane. He had seen her repairing it, and even now it didn't look up to much. And hadn't he heard her saying something to Regan about the engine blowing?

There was a queasy feeling in his stomach, and he was sweating hard. Nerves were jingling up and down inside him, making him jump at the slightest noise. He thought briefly of running and hiding somewhere in the field, and not reappearing until everyone had gone on the raid. Then he remembered his brother; 'He talked about you all the time...he said if anyone got here, it would be you,' was what Regan had said. Well, he was going to do his brother proud.

And, he thought grimly, if died on the raid today, at least he would have been doing his bit in the war effort. Maybe he would even in join his brother in heaven... or hell, or wherever you went after you died.

He straightened up from where he had been bending down, putting stuff into a pack. All he needed now was gun - the small pistol in his jeans weren't going to be much use. He looked around him, searching for someone to ask where to get a gun suitable for shooting from a plane. Once, he would have thought this task impossible. Now, looking around him, he realized that it was be as simple and easy as picking up a spare pair of clothes.

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:10 pm
Scion of Fangor says...

Heh I have an internet connection woo! But I won't have tomorrow though.....

Alex was meditating in his hut. It wasn't something you'd tend to associate with a killer. But he found that it helped when you reached combat. He heard Regan calling out "T-Minus Ten people! Get in gear and ready to go!". As he scrambled to his feet his rifle fell to the floor. He picked it up and kicked his bed with hos good leg. He hated his other leg. With it he couldn't be the hero. He couldn't sprint past machine guns with pistol blazing. If he went out into the open he was dead. If he strayed to far form the cover - he was dead. He was the one thing you don't need in a combat situation - slow.

Now his foot hurt. He limped towards the Plane, where he could see Bettina and the new kid. Today would be the test. If he lived today, he'd probably survive for a while and obviously if he didn't he'd be dead. As he wondered past he made a pointed effort not to look at the new kid. Better not to make attachments. If you make attachments then the person gets killed. Then they can take one more thing away from you.

He glanced at Regan.

"What we blowing up today then?"
GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:48 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Paige:

I picked up the machine gun and watched Sasha walk away.

"Yeah," I muttered to myself as Regan called out a t-minus ten warning. "Chin up, bottle down."

I looked back towards base and sighed. It was pointless. I didn't the need to drink to be brave. I tore my eyes away from base and started cleaning the gun. I was not going to drink, not unless I was injured or something...
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:47 pm
Threnody says...

Bettina:

"Anthony? Get your ass over here." I yelled at him from across the field. T minus 5. Anthony ran over and he wasn't holding a gun.

"Here, take this." I handed him a .5 calibre rifle. "This has something like a 1,000m range." He took it and examined it carefully.

"C'mon Bettina, we need you in the air now!" Regan yelled. Kids everywhere were scrambling to get suited up and make last minute adjustments.

"Anthony, this isn't Girl Scout camp, you need to hussle." I told him, I got into my plane and hooked up the transmitter to the kids running the op at the base. And to Regan and Nate for backup.

"T-minus 1!" Regan yelled lining everyone up in formation. "In the air Betty!"

"Let's go kid." Anthony jumped on board and braced himself against the side of the aircraft, buckling himself up for take-off. The engines started and we started moving down the make-shift runway.
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

16 Reviews

Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:28 pm
cosby says...

Anthony

It was hot; it was noisy; it was uncomfortable. Anthony had only been in the plane for about two minutes, and already he wanted to get off. The makeshift runway wasn't that flat, and the plane didn't feel like it had that good suspension. He winced as the hard chair he was sitting in dug into his back. He looked out of the nearest window and saw the ground rushing past - the only problem was that they were still on it. In front of him, he heard Bettina swear.

Anthony got the feeling that something had gone wrong. He lurched sideways suddenly as the plane started to do a sharp turn. The floor tilted alarmingly for a second, and a particularly uncomfortable bounce followed. The planes front end was starting to lift up, and the engine was making loud noises.

"No! Not now! Come on, Ares!" Bettina screamed, pounding the controls. Anthony deduced that 'Ares' was the plane. The nauseating feeling in his stomach was growing until he wanted to throw up. Finally, with an even louder engine noise that Anthony was pretty sure the engine wasn't supposed to make, there was one last jerk, and the plane propelled itself into the air.

Anthony sighed with relief.

"No!" Bettina shouted again.

"What?" Anthony asked, confused.

"I haven't got the coordinates," Bettina reached forwards, and flicked a switch. "Regan, you'd better be listening! I need the coordinates, or we're all dead."

There was a burst of static, and the sound of laughing came over some invisible speakers. "You forgot the coordinates, Betty!"

"If I was on the ground right now Sasha..." Bettina growled. Anthony sat back in his seat and smiled weakly.

Nobody wants to see the village of the happy people.
— Lew Hunter