Young Writers Society

Lincoln Wood Private College Prep

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:10 am
AlmondEyes says...

Hawthorne

Spoiler! :
Sorry it took so long!! I wasn't really sure what part of the week we were in, so I just started the next school day.

I kept my head down as I made my way through the hall. I hadn't spotted Dafnie, or been spotted by her, and I hadn't seen Cole either. Hopefully once the bruise on my face was completely gone, they would forget about it. Dafnie didn't really seem like the type though. I'd just play stupid like I always did. There was still a little discoloration, but other than that, nothing would remain of the incident. I scanned the surrounding area as I opened my locker and grabbed a notebook.

Locking up, I turned, rounding a corner and bumping into someone. A very hard and very large someone. Had it not been for him catching me, I would have fallen flat on my ass.

"Oh!" I look up. "I wasn't watching where I was going. I'm sorry."

I catch sight of the most breath taking forest Green eyes, and i'm frozen in place as he looks down at me. That's when I realize how enormous he is. His hands on my waist are big and warm...

My heart leaps in my chest, and he says, "No worries."

"Yo man," Rupert appears from behind him, stopping short when he sees me.

I looked away from him, pulling back from mystery man. "I'll make sure to keep a look out from now on."

Before mystery man can say anything, I brush past Rupert, feeling his gaze on my back as I rush away. Chances are, if he was friends with Rupert, I didn't want anything to do with him. I'd heard stories about Rupert, but I didn't take it from the horse's mouth. In my opinion, that's just blind ignorance to take someone's word over something. It tends to make a mess of things.

"Ms. Snow to the Guidance office please," came over the loud speaker. "Mr. Snow to the Guidance office."

I head off towards the guidance office.

"I don't know how it slipped through the cracks," Mr. Eller said. "but it looks like you're missing a Physical education credit, and with out it, you could end up not graduating."

I felt my stomach sink. How could this have happened? When grandmother finds out about this....

The images of what she would do to me began to take form in my head, and my entire body began to shake. What was I going to do? What could I even do?

Mr. Eller must have seen the look of panic on my face, because then her said, "So I've arranged your schedule and talked to Coach Tomson, whose agreed to let you in and give you credit for this semester if you start today. I've also notified your teachers of your schedule changes as well, so there's no need for your alarm. There's also no need to notify your grandmother."

The tightness in my chest dispersed, and I breathe a sigh of relief. Mr. Eller had always done what he could to help me. Especially with my grandmother. I was pretty sure he somehow knew about my home life and that she was abusing me. I could never really tell for sure though, because he never said anything to me about it. It was just the looks in eyes when he talked to me that made me think he did. He just looked so sad sometimes.

"Thank you so much." I say in earnest. "There's no telling what might have happened if she found out."

She would have beaten me until I couldn't walk and then lock me in my room. Or worse.

"It's no trouble," he waves his hand, the softest smile forming on his face. "Just let me know if there's anything I can do for you."

He always said that, and he certainly meant it. Not that I would ever ask anything of him though. It just never felt right to ask. I look at him. He was older, looking to be in his early thirties, his thick dark hair graying slightly where his temples were. His strong jaw, usually clean cut held a five O'clock shadow. He also had the palest grey eyes I had ever seen. He was handsome. Looking at him often reminded me of my father, which made me sad inside. Mr. Eller is what I imagined my father would be like if the mother i'd never known hadn't died giving birth to me.

As I stood, he moved to open the door for me. I threw him a soft smile as I walked out, feeling his eyes on me as I turned the corner. Sagging in relief, I leaned Against the wall with a sigh. Being in the clear felt good. For now at least. Turning and making my way to class, I run into someone else, this time falling down. Who ever I ran into didn't catch me. I didn't know what to expect when I looked up, but it wasn't cold and flat black Eyes. The sight had me stuck in place.

He cocked his head to the side, looking down at me. The first thing his eyes zeroes on were lips, and going south from there. It made me feel sick to my stomach as he sneered. Getting up as quick as possible, I say, "I didn't mean to run into you."

I tried to move past him, but he blocked my way with his body. "You can bump into me as many times as you like."

His voice made my skin crawl, and I had to suppress the shudder that came over me. I shoved passed him, nearly running like a bat out of hell. I hoped to never see him again was all I could think as I slowed, nearing my class. The bell rang just as I took my seat. For the next while, I listened absentmindedly to the lesson.
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

271 Reviews

Reviews: 271
Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:45 pm
Gravity says...

Cole
I laid in bed, the thin sheets felt like rocks, holding me down to the mattress. I stared blankly in front of me as I woke up and came to my senses.

Hunter was there and so were my host parents. Of course they were.

"Colette," Tina said, "I'm so sorry. Your parents are coming soon." her usually cheery and perfectly made up face was somber and wiped clean. Dave was staring at the floor, his head in his hands.

"I'm so sorry," Dave whispered so softly I could barely hear him, "I shouldn't have let you drive my car without me there. Maybe this wouldn't have happened."

I was numb. Only half of my body was supposed to be numb, but I'd sunk into this state of oblivion. Hunter was sitting on the floor with Dave in the chair. His blonde head with his straw colored waves was leaning against the bars that held me in. The bars of my cage.

But he stood up and kissed me. At least the paralysis was only from the shoulders down.

"Can I have a moment with Hunter, alone?" I asked. He was the light in this situation even though I'd been hit while on the phone with him. He was what mattered and I didn't want to lose him.

"Cole, I'm so sorry. I feel horrible. You were on the phone with me when you were driving..."

"It's not your fault," I said, awkwardly taking his hand through the IVs and the heart monitor strapped to my finger. "I remember being at the intersection and some truck ramming into me. I think they ran a red light?" I looked to him for confirmation and he nodded. Tears came to my eyes but I pushed them back. I didn't want to be sedated again.

"Baby I'm so sorry," he was crying now, kissing my cheek and wrapping his arms around me over the bars. He couldn't have been comfortable but I was crying too, holding on to him.

"What's gonna happen?" I asked this through the tears, sniffling. "Hunter, I need to wipe my nose." I felt a pang in my heart. I had to ask my boyfriend to stop hugging me because half of my body was useless. He pulled away and handed me a tissue.

"People are finding out. There are rumors going around that you're in the hospital from a car crash."

"Do they know I'm...?" I looked to the left side of my body, choking.

"I don't think so. They're going to find out, though." I nodded and closed my eyes.

"Are you tired?" he asked,

"No, I just don't want to see..." I trailed off, but he seemed to understand me even before I spoke.

"Dafnie and Hawthorne definitely heard. They've been blowing up my phone all day," he chuckled without humor. I could feel him move his hand to his jean pocket.

"Tell her. I don't really care who knows now, they'll find out soon enough," And that was the first lie I ever told him. I did care. Because people finding out made it real.The painter who couldn't use her hand. The teenage girl who was too young for this to happen to her. I was a tragedy, suddenly, not a person.

I opened my eyes and looked at his beautiful face. There were dark bruises under his eyes, like he hadn't slept in days. His hair was mussed and he was wearing the same clothes as he was when I woke up god knows how long ago.

"You need to go home and shower and get some sleep," I said.

"No. I'm staying here with you."

"Hunter. I will have you removed from this room if you don't at least go home, get a shower and change your clothes. I need you to take care of yourself. And get some food, too. You can't live off a vending machine or all those pretty muscles will go to mush." I cracked a joke, trying to smile. I didn't want to be miserable. Didn't want him to see me cry again. He nodded but then the doctor came in.

"Mr. Lexington, I need you to please leave the room. Ms. Roux's parents are here."

Hunter left the room but my body froze. This would not be good.

And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:41 am
Nike says...

Dafnie Serena Leto
Spoiler! :
I apologize for the no posting, I've been extremely busy. Work and the holidays! I hope you had a happy holiday guys!!

I was in my room when everything went off course. It was, let's say, around three in the morning. The next day is Saturday, so I wasn't too worried about sleeping in. There was some weird tapping noise coming from outside. Normally, I can't sleep, but I've never heard anything like this before.

Sitting up in my bed, I peered out the window. It was dark other than the street lights and the moon. You could barely see the stars here.

And then I saw it. A figure. It was standing just by the fence of my apartment block. I couldn't tell who it was but it definitely sent a chill down my spine. I took my phone from my charger dock and clicked to turn on the flashlight.

Now the figure was more visible. And it was Paul.

I smiled at him as he waved.

"What's with this being creepy at this late?" I asked once we were in his car.

"We only live once Daffy..." he sighed, turning on the ignition. I rose an eyebrow even though he wasn't looking. "You heard about Cole, right?"

I held my breath for a moment. That silence answered his question. He started to drive off into the empty streets.

"Well, what happened to her was a tragedy and it made me realize, you really only live once. And we should do all that we can in this lifetime."

"Are you high?" I asked.

He shut his mouth and I felt this tension grow. I've said the wrong thing, obviously I did. I ran my hands down my thighs, looking away from him.

"Cole was hurt and you think I'm high? The fuck, Daf?"

"Alright... alright... it's just..." I took in a breath. "It's three in the fucking morning. Can't we live life in daylight?"

He hit the power button on the radio and some rap started to play. Jesus, him with his music. I rolled my eyes, sure he didn't look.

"No, Dafnie. No. We are young. We can do this."

I recognized the streets we were going down. It was a route I've took times before. It seemed like we were headed to Collin's. As we approached the house, somehow, I was surprised it was dark. Every time I drove by, there were lights on. Probably because it was not three in the morning. He shifted the gear to park and picked up his phone, tapping away at the screen.

"It's always the three of us, isn't it? Living life?" I asked.

He finally looked over at me. His eyes had this somber look to them that made the back of my throat feel dry. He looked back at the screen and nodded.

"Cause you are the only ones that will hang."

"Well, when you come up to my place and throw pebbles at my window... I have no other choice." I laughed.

"Could've said no! You always have a choice Dafnie Serena!" He barley calls me that, only when he wants to be funny.

I was laughing when the back door opened and Collin came in. I looked over to the back and smiled at him. A whoosh of cold air filled the car as he shut the door behind him. He nodded at me and Paul shifted the gear back into drive.

"Good to have you join us, Sir Collin. How was your night?" Paul asked.

"Well, I was at Jessie's, you guys were too... can we not be separate for an hour or something?"

"Obviously not." I smiled.

The music changed to some pop. Better than Lil Wayne.

"So, was it only me, or was seeing Rupert there just wrong?" I asked.

"It wasn't just you." Collin jumped in. "Everyone thought it was weird. And did you see how Jessie and him were just having eye sex the whole time?"

"Oh, they had sex. Heard it!" Paul laughed. "That's when I decided to look for more beer... they were in the basement. I'm telling you guys, it was crazy."

"We sound like girls, let's stop." I suggested.

"You brought it up." Paul said.

"Yeah, I don't have a penis... I get it."

And I knew it was coming up.

"PENIS ENVY!" both Paul and Collin yelled.

I just shook my head and turned the volume dial to drown them out. We kept on driving. The Seattle skyline was getting bigger, which meant we were going to downtown. There wasn't much to do there when you're underage. But if you have a fake, it's great.

Which I don't, so I wouldn't know.

"Dafnie, what happened with that Danny kid?" Paul asked.

"Nothing," I huffed, feeling my heart skip a beat. "Let's forget I ever did anything with him."

"That bad?"

"No, that wrong."

My phone vibrated in my pocket, so I pulled it out. Collin texted me. He could've spoken to me, I mean, we are in the same car. I unlocked my phone and read.

Sorry about Paul

What do you mean? I replied.

A second later, he wrote back.

He asked about Danny. We agreed that he was forgotten. He's just worried about you.

I sighed. I am not surprised and I do not blame him. But I'm a big girl.

Yeah, a big girl with a terrible Freshman past.

I thought you wouldn't bring this up.

No one forgets about it, we just ignore it. It still affects what happens now. You may have changed but, he's still scared. I'm still scared.

I put my phone into my pocket and did not reply. This really wasn't something I wanted to talk about. My heart was racing and I was thankful it was dark cause I was sure red in the face.
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

267 Reviews

Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:19 pm
Nike says...

Rupert Jean Franza

Right when news went around that Collete got into an accident, the school was all gloomy. It seemed all too real. No one had gotten into an accident, well not recently or we haven't heard of it. And all of a sudden, driving in a car felt like a risk I was willing to take.

I swallowed down the lump that stood in my throat and found my way to my locker. It was the end of the school day and everyone has left already. From the corner of my eye I saw Hawthorne. She looked slumped, like she was upset, but trying to hide it. Can't say she was doing a bad job, she could hide things, but since we were alone, she was vulnerable.

"Rose," I spoke up.

I'm sure I was the last person she wanted to see. Her head rose and I saw her eyes get wide. I smiled, a soft smile to not scare her off.

"Hi," I added.

She took a wary step towards me and I guess waited for an explanation.

"I'm sorry about Cole," I said.

"It's okay... I mean, it's not okay. But, like, it's not your fault." she managed.

"Yeah, but, she's your friend and I'm sure you're scared for her."

She just nodded. I ran my hands through my hair and watched as she gripped her books tighter. I saw The Great Gatsby in her arms. Honestly, what a terrible book.

"You read?" I asked.

"Yeah, I love to read." she replied.

There was a thick tension between us that made my body feel heavy. I didn't know what to say to her. She was pretty awkward, but in a good way... if there was even a way to be awkward. I don't know, I guess we don't work together. Like our chemicals fight each other or something.

"I gotta go... I'm gonna go see Cole. It was nice talking to you." Somehow, her voice wasn't wobbly. And her eyes were on mine the whole time. She gained confidence in like two seconds.

"Yeah," I mumbled, trying to ignore my shock. "See you... tell her I said... or don't. She doesn't like me."

"I'll say you wish her well," she smiled.

And I liked her smile.

It was late, like, twelve o'clock in the morning late. I was in downtown Seattle, this was the only place with a 24 hour Starbucks. I know there was a whole week left of school and everything, but, I didn't feel like going to school at all.

I drove up, for passing the shit drivers and the careless pedestrians. The city lights were on and the temperature was decreasing. Dammit. Winter was a-coming.

The radio was on, I wasn't really listening but I didn't seem to mind.

There was a small spot just in a side street. My car should fit. Thankfully I had a gift with parking. I shifted the gear to reverse, turned the wheel, and squeezed myself in without a scratch. Perfect.

Hoping out, I felt a cold gust of wind blow against me. I held my shiver and walked on towards the big green sign. Starbucks. It was packed with students and hipsters, all ready for the night.

Or studying. Just, studying.

I walked in, letting the door swing shut behind me. The soft music played and the smell of fresh roasted coffee jumped in my nose. It was time for my coffee.

I made my way to the line, which was just a few people, and stood. My phone vibrated in my pocket, so I pulled it out. Philip's name flashed on the screen. I slid my thumb over the screen and got to the message.

Where did you go?

Should've mentioned I left his house. He was having this party, to replace Collete's party since she was, hurt. Nice of him to make people happy again, yet, it made me sadder. No idea why.

I put my phone back and did not reply. Somehow, I didn't want to even now his existence. Wow, I'm rude.

The line moved up and it was my turn. I smiled at the barista and she cheekily smiled back. I had that effect.

"Hey, how's your night going?" I asked.

"Eh, like every night... what would you like to drink?"

I wasn't gonna push it. I mean, she was pretty. Long black hair, pale skin. She didn't look all vampire, she looked like a porcelain doll. But, she was at work and I wasn't going to wait until her shift ended and... it felt wrong to even do this.

"Just an Americano, tall, thanks." I said.

"Coffee, this late?" she laughed, and continued the flirting.

"Hey, you guys need money, no?"

"Sadly, this one's on the house."

I took in a deep breath. Not that I didn't mind a free coffee, it's just. God, I was in such a shit mood. I'm happy I don't have to pay. But, why do I not have to? I'm like everybody else. And she's not going far with this at all.

"You don't have to..." I started.

She waved her hand. "No, it's fine, I'm Susan by the way." I figured that one out by looking at her name tag already.

"Cole," I lied.

I knew people behind me were getting all frantic to get their coffee, so I nodded and walked over to the pick up area.

267 Reviews

Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:40 pm
Nike says...

Spoiler! :
WHOA NIKE A NEW CHARACTER?! Yeah, I liked Paul so much, I made him real.
Spoiler! :

Paul Jenkins

Dafnie told me that Collete is severely injured and... she can't get a hold of herself. She had just started hanging out with her, and yet, it still has a strong effect on her. Dafnie cares too much sometimes. I'm upset too, but I'm not sobbing. She keeps saying that she can't believe it.

People get hurt. That's life. I mean, look at me.

"I'm scared." Dafnie sighed.

I looked over at her, seeing that she was already looking at me. The pit of my stomach burned as I watched her warily.

"Of what?"

"Of life." She said. "I mean, she got hurt and now she can't draw... life is so cruel."

It's not that I was a mean person and that I didn't care, cause I did. It's just that her talking about this makes me so tired. But what she said does have a point.

"Life is like that," I smiled.

She managed a soft smile back and we were silent again. We happened to be at her apartment. Her mother was in the living room watching some Polish drama and her brother was at work.

"Hey, are we going to Philip's?" She asked.

I rose my eyebrow at her. "Philip's means Rupert."

"And?" her eyebrows arched together.

I shook my head. "Right, let's go then."

Philp's was loud. It would be like something I would throw, except a change of music. I hated this dance-y stuff with all the dubstep. But, everyone else did. I had my third beer in my had as I walked around the grand house, looking for someone to talk to.

Dafnie disappeared on me a few minutes back. She saw one of her old friend, think her name was Teagan. And I wouldn't mind getting to know this Teagan either.

"Paaaaaul!" I heard my name being yelled.

I turned around and saw Dafnie with her arm draped over Izzy's shoulders. Oh, I remember Isabelle. She's a great one. She was giving me this goofy smile, showing that she's trying to control Dafnie being drunk.

"Hey," I smiled.

"Come join us! Izzy is such a good dancer!" She laughed.

"I'm really not..." Isabelle replied sheepishly.

I titled my head to the side for a moment and gave her a smile. Her cheeks grew a soft pink as I walked over to the both of them. Dafnie was all blushed, she drank too much.

Taking a sip of my beer, I crushed the empty can and tossed it behind me. "Shall we?" I motioned toward the dancing area.

Isabelle gave me a wary look as I took her hand in mine. The music did not fit the mood, but I walked to the middle of all the sweaty teenagers and spun her around. I could see Dafnie talking to a few people, one of them was Merrick. But thankfully, Rupert wasn't in sight. And Jessie was here too, so he's missing out.

I was definitely in the lead and we were laughing the whole time, cause it's not like I was any better at this. Once the song finished, I took her hand and lead us to Dafnie. Her hands were on Merrick's chest, she was trying to seduce him whilst drunk, so it's not going well. I walked up to her and pulled her into my arms, feeling her body go limp against mine.

"Sorry man, she gets horny when she's drunk." I smiled at Merrick.

"It's cool man,"

With Dafnie in my arms, I took her to the nearest room. When I opened the door, I realized it was a guest bedroom. Man, I'd hate to be a guest on the first floor with a party going on. But once I shut the door, the music faded away. I placed her on the bed and sat next to her, watching her eyelids fall.

"Thanks," She mumbled.

I smiled, "No problem. What are friends for?"

A lazy smile grew on her face as she gripped the pillow that was under her head. I ran my hand through her hair, feeling something sticky at the ends. She must've gotten alcohol on herself again.

"You like Izzy?" She asked out of nowhere.

My stomach churned at the say of her name. But I didn't have feelings for Izzy.

"Yeah, she's cool."

"No," she opened her eyes, finding mine. "Like like her... do you wanna fuck her?"

"Not any more than I wanna fuck you." I held in a laugh.

Her smile got wider as she started to sit up. I felt this tension grow between us, heavy and threatening. Her eyes met mine with more seriousness, as if she got sober in those two seconds. I help my breath, addicted to the blue of her eyes.

"Kiss me," she commanded with a whisper.

271 Reviews

Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:49 am
View Likes
Gravity says...

Cole
"Colette!" My Mother gasped. My Dad's mouth was set into a grim line, his brow furrowing the way it did when he got angry.

"Are you okay?" She said this in French, the way we always spoke.

"Yes Mom, I'm okay." I replied in our language, the lofty vowels drifting through the air like streamers. Or IV cords.

But I wasn't okay. I'd only said that to appease her.

The Doctor came in and began to explain my condition. My parents speak English, but they aren't fluent. So I translated.

"What is he saying?" My Mom asked.

"I'm paralyzed on my left side because when I got hit in the car, the door caved in on me and partially injured my spinal cord. They operated on me when I first came in to do what they could. I have a few broken rips as well but other than that, it wasn't fatal. The paralysis can be reversed in time with doctors and physical therapy, but at the most I'll only gain back 70% of my motor skills. Until then I'll be in a wheelchair."

I said all of that at a polite level so I could still hear the doctor speak. Mom clutched Dad with both hands, her eye twitching. That happens when she tries not to cry.

"Thank you," My Mom said, her accent ringing through even those two words.

"Did your host parents condone this? What happened?" Dad demanded this answer, speaking firmly and abruptly.

"I was going to get my license, it wasn't their fault. I was driving across an intersection and some car ran the red light. They hit me on my side of the car." I didn't mention the fact that I had been on the phone with Hunter.

'We came here straight from the airport. We aren't sure what will happen as far as your studies and living situation goes, but the other girl is staying in France with a friend she made. We love you, we'll be back as soon as we get a hotel."

The day passed and a few minutes after school, both Hunter and Hawthorne entered the room. Hunter came in and gave me a peck on the lips before sitting down.

"Thorne, I'm so glad to see you," I said, holding out my arm as un-awkwardly as I could manage. She gave me a gentle hug before stepping back.

"How are you?" She asked.

"Hey Hunter?" I interrupted, "Would you mind giving us a minute?" He nodded and exited.

"I'm fine," I said.

She didn't buy it. "How are you, really?" I paused but she spoke for me. "Cole, you don't have to lie around me. You just lost movement in half your body and the ability to draw or paint. I know that's tough."

Tears pricked my eyes and I nodded. "You're right," I said, "I'm not okay."

We chatted for a while and Thorne comforted me until I asked her to tell me how everyone was doing at school.

"Oh, Rupert has a thing for you, I guess."

"WHAT?" My eyes got wide and I laughed in disbelief.

"Yeah. He looked like a sad puppy dog when he came up to me and asked for me to wish you well." Thorne tried to hide her smile and failed miserably.

"No way. He was just being nice." I laughed, I really laughed since the accident for the first time. "He's kinda scared of me, I think."

"Why?" Thorne looked puzzled.

"Well," I chuckled, "I kind of pushed him against the lockers a few weeks after school started and threatened him. I told him if he hurt you I would do a lot worse." Thorne and I burst into giggles, her mouth opening.

"No," she said, "You didn't!" I nodded, my cheeks getting sore from the laughing. "But you're so tiny!" She said, and we burst into another fit of giggles.

"I have to go. I'm sorry," she said abruptly, glancing at the clock. "Get better, okay?" She gave me another hug before leaving. And I drifted off to sleep.

I was woken a few hours later by soft footsteps in my room.

"Is she asleep?" A low but distinctly male voice whispered.

"Yes," said the nurse, softly before leaving the room.

I opened my eyes and sat up and before me there was a very startled looking Rupert, standing with his hands clasped in front of him.

"Rupert?" I almost smiled, remembering the conversation with Thorne.

"Uh, I thought you were asleep. I can go," He said, turning to the door.

"No, no. It's fine. Where's your posse?" I asked.

"Nobody really knows I'm here." He looked at the floor, embarrassed. "Like I said, I can go-"

"I'm glad you came," I said, without really knowing why.

"How are you?" I asked.

"How am I?" he said incredulously, "You're in a hospital bed with half of your body paralyzed, and you're asking how I am?"

It stung a little, but I tried not to show it. "You're the one who came to see me, remember? So what are you here for?"

"I just," he sighed, "It's really scary. You and I don't exactly know each other that well, and suddenly you're in a hospital bed. We've never had an accident, nobody has ever been seriously hurt while at Lincoln Wood. We're all kinda shaken." I could see the circles under his eyes.

"I'm scared," He said softly, but then shuffling his feet as if he regretted saying it.

"I'm scared too," I said back, and he looked up, meeting my eyes.

"How are you so calm about all this?" He asked, his voice barely more than a whisper,

"I don't know," I said back, "All I know is if I fall apart now, I'll never put myself back together. And half of me is already gone."

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:19 am
AlmondEyes says...

Merrick

Lunch had just started, but I wasn't really hungry. Word had gotten out around school about Cole's accident. Not too many people had gone off campus for lunch like they usually did. It's easy to understand why after hearing about her. There were still parts of the school I hadn't seen, so this was the best time to have a look. My phone buzzed in my pocket, but I didn't bother looking at it.

It might have been Dafnie. She might not have remembered what she did last night, and someone might have told her. She had gotten kind of drunk last night and hit on me. Not like it would have gone anywhere, but i'm glad Paul showed up when he did. I would never have sex with a girl when she was drunk. I was raised better than that, and it just didn't seem right. I'm also pretty sure that would technically be considered rape in the eyes of the law because she wasn't in state to consent.

Besides, I would much rather have sex with a woman who was completely coherent and pliable in my hands. And my Mother would probably chop my balls off when she found out. There was no 'if' with my Mother. Only when.

Just as I turned down another hallway, I heard the sound of music coming from somewhere farther down and went to investigate. It looked like one of the older music rooms in an older part of the school. Rupert told me people came here to skip classes and smoke weed and whatnot. He also told me someone came to the music room regularly, but he didn't know who because he could never find out. The door was always locked. It didn't look like it had been locked as I drew closer. Whoever it was must have forgotten for whatever reason.

The music that was playing was stopped, and I froze. Just as I thought to turn around and leave, another song began to play. Moving towards the door, I peeked inside to see who it was. That long curtain of dark hair seemed familiar to me, though I couldn't place it. The only thing I could make out about her was her long legs as she moved along to what was playing. The mirrors lining the wall suggested it was a dance room. It looked old, but in good condition, though that's not really what I was paying attention to. Even with so many, I couldn't see mystery girl's face. It was covered by her beautiful hair.

As I listened more to the song, I recognize it. Wicked Games by The Weekend. I watched her as she danced, moving like she was one with the song, lost in it. She moved with the every beat. Teasing and seducing. Slow and sensuous. Heated and passionate, her hair billowing around her like a cloud of sinful darkness. Like Seductress. I would have loved to touch it. I'd never seen anyone dance like this. I followed the trail of her long legs, wishing I could touch them. I didn't want the music to end. I didn't want her to stop moving, but there was an end to everything.

It wasn't until the song had finished and she pushed her hair out of her face that I saw who it was, and I almost fell over. Just then, the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch. I dodged out before she had a chance to see me, heading to Gym.

I'd been sitting in the locker room waiting for Rupert to change. I got here before he did, and changed just as he came in. I don't know how long i'd been sitting there, just thinking about who i'd seen in the dance room. It must have been a while since Rupert was waving hand in front of my face.

"Anyone home?" he said. "Are you seeing into the future or something? Get off your ass dude. You might be able to handle what coach dishes out, but most of us can't."

"Right," was all I said and stood, following him out of the locker room.

"You alright?" he asked. "You're even more silent and brooding then usual."

"What do you know about Hawthorne?" I ask, and he frowns slightly.

"Not much. She's just well know around school for being an amazingly helpful hand and shy. She's also hot as hell, though she's oblivious to it. Why?" He looks at me.

I would have said, but coach's whistle beat me to it. He called everyone over, and as always, told us to hurry the hell up.

"Alright everyone," he yelled. "We've got someone joining is here in Gym. Introduce yourself, Ms. Snow."

I moved forward until I could catch sight of the new girl. It was Hawthorne. I would recognize her long dark hair anywhere. Though it was still around her as she stood in front of everyone, I could remember the way it moved around her as she danced. She was wearing a plain grey shirt and black spandex shorts that showed off her long legs. It didn't go unnoticed how her shirt pulled against her chest, from the way the guys were staring.

"Hi," she waved, visibly uncomfortable with being in the spotlight. "I'm Hawthorne."

Everyone started murmuring as she stood there looking like she wanted be anywhere but here, and coach must have picked up on it. He blew his whistle. "Alright everyone! On to the track. Eight laps!"

Thankful for the diverted attention, she took off like a rocket.

"Damn," Rupert's gaze followed after Thorne. "I never noticed how long her legs were. Or how big her boobs were. She always wore clothes that covered everything up. And did you see that ass? I think everyone did."

I rolled my eyes, but he was right. Instead of saying anything, I took off, running after her and left him in my dust. She was kickin' out the lead, her legs cutting through the air like a pro. I was impressed. I didn't try to pass, more than happy to just watch, which I guess was every guy's plan in Gym class, or at least the ones that could keep up. Thorne and I were at the front. Before I realized it, we were done.

Everyone headed back into the Gym as they finished their laps, all sweaty and tired. The front of Hawthorne's shirt was soaked in sweat, clinging to her more than generous chest. Her face was flush, and the matted hair to her forehead said she was tired, but not like everyone else. Stretching her arms over her head, she breathed in deeply, closing her eyes, and then dropped into a vertical split. I heard people behind me spitting out water. Probably the guys checking her out. Dumb asses.

She was completely oblivious to them as stretched her legs out. Just then, Rupert came up beside me, huffing. His eyes my line of sight, and he said, "Damn if she can't move. And stretch like that..."

"Finish that sentence," coach came out of nowhere like he usually does. "and I write you up."

He saw Thorne, and stopped short, shaking his head. "Though I wouldn't blame you."

As everyone finally finished their laps and come inside, Coach spoke. "Alright. You guys didn't suck as much as usual, so that's something. As for Hawthorne," I nodded at her. "Great job. Now that you and Vail are here, I now know I've got two people who aren't disappointments. No offense. Go wash up. You all stink."

With that, everyone dispersed. Thorne had since then stood back into an upright position, heading back to the locker rooms. Knowing now would be my only chance, I called to her. She turned as I reached her, looking up at me. Her eyes catch my attention, so bright and stunning. Then there were her lips. I pulled my gaze away and back to her eyes.

"You bumped into me the other day." I said. "I didn't catch your name. Everyone calls me Merrick."

"Oh," she worried her lower lip as she took hold of my outstretched hand. "Hawthorne."

The moment our hands made contact, it sent a jolt up my arm. A small gasp came from her, and she yanked her hand from mine like she'd felt the same thing, trying to play it off like she was wiping sweat from her hand. She cleared her throat.

"So I now know," I look into her Eyes . "It was a pleasure meeting you."

With a small wave, she headed off, and I watched her as she went. Rupert came to walk beside me as I walked to the fitting room. "What was that about?"

"I saw her dancing in one of the old dance rooms." I told him. "She was amazing."

"Really?" he sat down on one of the benches and began taking off his shoes.

"She was like a completely different person." I pulled my shirt off. "You said she was shy and sweet? There was nothing shy or sweet about the way she moved."

Rupert raised an eyebrow. "I don't believe you."

"You 're gonna have to see it for yourself," I shrugged.

Before he could reply, someone off to the side said something that caught our attention.

"Man. Did you see Hawthorne out there?" one guy said. "Damn."

"Did you see that body?" someone else piped up. "Holy shit dude. What I wouldn't give to get my hands on that for a night."

"I know I would give it to her good." came a familiar voice.

I see the ass hole from the other day twirling around his towel as everyone started whooping and holler and whistling. What was his name? Derek something. As if he sensed me staring, he turned to look directly at me, an ugly sneer on his face. I turn away from his disgusting face and finish dressing.

"What about you?" he calls out. "What do you think?"

I just shrug, ignoring the question. Rupert picks up the pace as he gets ready.

"Aw c'mon!" he holds his hands up. "Nothing?"

"Let's get the hell out of here," I don't even wait for his reply and start walking.

I wasn't going to let that bastard ruin a damn thing for me.

Spoiler! :
Hope you enjoyed! @Nike
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

267 Reviews

Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:13 am
Nike says...

Rupert Jean Franz

So Hawthorne was in our gym class. That's a plus. I could talk to her now, maybe she won't hate me as much. But her presence here is causing a ruckus in all the guys boxers.

Merrick and I left gym, knowing that we were the ones who didn't look like assholes. Who is this Derek kid anyway? Merrick mentioned that that was the guy who spoke to us. Who does he think he is? He can't go around talking about taking advantage of her.

I may be a guy who gets around, but I respect the girls.

I wonder if Hawthorne knows that I went to see Colette. Just thinking about her in that state... she looked so pale, so, dead.

"Hey, are you listening?" Merrick asked.

Snapping out of my train of thought, I caught my breath and looked at him. He rose an eyebrow at me. I looked away and focused on the teacher. She was talking, but yet I couldn't hear what she was saying. Thank God Merrick and I had the same class, he would make sure I'm concentrating.

All I could think about was my uncle. He was in a car accident when I was eight. They had him in the hospital for a day before he died. At first they said he was going to be paralyzed from the neck down... and then his brain started to malfunction. And seeing Colette in that state just brought back memories.

And fuck, I'm worried for her.

Losing feeling in half of your body is just unthinkable. I mean, imagine it. You can't, can you?

She's an artist, from what Hunter told me. So her left hand is now useless... she can't be an artist.

"Hey, man... we can go now." Merrick said to me.

I looked up and saw that the classroom was empty, other than Merrick and I.

I got up from my desk and grabbed my backpack, swinging it over my shoulder. Merrick led the way out, into the crowded hallway. Voices stung my ears as we walked out. It was out last period, so we were headed to our lockers which were conveniently next to each other. Once we reached them, I swung mine open, shoving some books in. I shut it and waited for Merrick.

Just at the corner of my eye, I saw Dafnie. She was talking to Hawthorne, they were both smiling. Dafnie had her hair up in this messy bun that somehow caught my attention, probably because she always wears her hair down. Hawthorne had her full attention on her. And all I could think about was how she looked in that gym uniform.

No wonder I was hitting on her. I knew she was hot, but whoa.

I turned to Merrick and saw him eyeing the same thing, Hawthorne... or...? He was looking at Dafnie, something passed his eyes, a memory. He faced me and saw that I had my eyebrow raised at him.

"At the party... she hit on me." he answered.

I nodded, looking at Dafnie again. And now, she was looking back at us with a straight face. I felt my heart jump as I smiled at her.

She had an unsure look to her face as she smiled back softly, looking from both me to Merrick. Hawthorne caught on and followed her glance, her eyes got wide once she noticed it was us.

"... and did you flirt back, or...?" I asked Merrick.

He didn't reply in time, because the girls walked up to us. The hallways were still stuffy, people were saying goodbye before they left to go back home. Dafnie first smiled up at Merrick and then softly glowered at me. Hawthorne was the good girl, smiling at the both of us.

"You guys doing anything right now?" I asked.

Dafnie's eyebrows had risen in surprise and Merrick was looking at me.

"We aren't doing anything, maybe we could chill at my place?" I added.

"You're serious?" Dafnie asked.

"Yeah,"

It was a moment before anyone said anything else since a thick tension was growing between us. I took a second to look at Hawthorne. She had her eyes on the ground as she rubbed her shoe against the linoleum floors. I looked back up at Merrick and saw him running his hand through his hair.

"I think you guys need the fun anyway, to forget about Cole for a while. You guys worry about her so much already, some fun wouldn't hurt. I have a hookah," I kept on going. "It'll be chill. I promise," I met eyes with Dafnie and felt my throat dry up.

She looked at Hawthorne and Thorne looked back. It was like they were talking to each other telepathically.

"Doesn't sound like a bad idea, I'm in." Merrick shrugged his shoulders. "You guys?"

Spoiler! :
Last edited by Nike on Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

271 Reviews

Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:48 pm
Gravity says...

Cole

"Okay, here's the deal," My Mama says to me in French. "Since you and the other girl switched but you're seriously injured you have the option of staying here and going to physical therapy with doctors more familiar with your case. But we would have to go back to France and your host parents would have to help you with everything. Dressing, showering, eating. Or you can come back with us and we can take care of you, but you would go back to your old school and continue physical therapy with doctors still getting to know your case."

For me it was a no brainer. I wanted to stay with Hawthorne and Dafnie and Hunter. They were my friends and and my boyfriend and I loved them. And then there was Rupert. Rupert who I couldn't quite figure out. Rupert who came to see me.

Speak of the devil. My parents left and a familiar boy came into my hospital room. I was a little more comfortable since I had been brought legitimate clothes and looked a little more like me. Dafnie and Hawthorne had even done up my makeup a little bit. I was still pale and I was still sad, but I looked more like me.

"Hey, Rupert," I said, hesitantly, pushing myself up a little bit the best I could.

"Hey. You look better," he said.

"Thanks," I said sarcastically, giving him a little chuckle. The IV has been removed with wires still monitoring my heart right and vitals. Which he noticed.

"I get to go home tomorrow," I say, interrupting the increasingly awkward silence.

"Really?" he clears his throat, "That's great!"

"Yeah, I'm excited. I have an idea about a way I can continue my art. But I need help. You in?"

he pauses before saying...

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:42 pm
Ciblio says...

Jessie

The Swine Flu. You're kidding, right? When was the last time I was sick? Uh, never. That's when.

I lifted myself out of the chair in my living room and shake my head, I couldn't even go to school. I'd have to have somebody bring me my work from my classes. Mh, I'll text Val.

"Life sucks, school sucks, people suck, everything sucks," I mumble as I attempt to make it up the stairs without sneezing. I failed halfway up them as I took in a deep breath, and released a body-jerking sneeze. Ouch.

As I climb up the rest of the stairs, I droop one of my eyes closed, and try to make it to my room as I rub at the closed eye. Why're my eyes itchy? The doctor didn't say that'd be a side effect. Maybe I'm just tired? Hm.

It was a miracle that I found the room with only one eye open, so as soon as the bed came in reach, I collapsed on it, trying to smell the sweet scent my comforter always carried. Though, my stuffy nose held me back from what I wanted.

With a heavy sigh, I tilt my head to the side and stare at the peach wall. What an odd color. Did I pick that? I think I did.

I spent perhaps 5 minutes just staring at the wall, trying to remember when I'd chosen that color, but gave up and closed my eyes. I should sleep. Sleep sounded good right now. Yeah.

Right when my thoughts began to fade and I started to drift out of consciousness, my bed began to vibrate, and my eyes snapped open. Phone? Where's my phone?

It took about a minute for my hand to graze the back of the cold surface of my phone, and once it did, my fingers curled around the object and pulled it to my face where I lifted it up and unlocked it.

I'd gotten a message. From...Rupert?

'Hey, you okay? Didn't see you at school.'

Oh. Oh, you care, do you? I'm sure you do. I'm sick, but is that your business?

I snort at myself, then feel a pang of guilt rise up in the pit of my stomach. He's only being polite, and I'm making fun of him. I'm being hostile. I know better. I was raised better.

'I'm just sick.'

It was a plain text, but what else was I supposed to say? Was I supposed to go into detail about what I had and what was going on? Uh, I think not.

He didn't reply for awhile, and I was beginning to think he wasn't going to until my phone began to buzz again. Sniffling, I unlock it again, and read the message.

It wasn't...a lot, but for some reason, it made me feel better. The short five worded sentence brightened my eyes, and for that reason, I smiled. It only took 5 words to make me cheer up. Only 5 words that were used a lot when talking to sick people, but still...it just made me perk up. It made me glad that we were friends.

'Hope you feel better soon.'

Just 5 words. 21 letters. That's all it took, and that makes me wonder. Does it only make me happy because it's from...him? Rupert? The guy I've had the biggest crush on since elementary school? If Val were to say that, I'd pass it off as just something she'd usually say. Like, to me if I were sick. But Rupert?

I didn't reply to him, I just simply locked my phone and closed my eyes again, hoping I could fall asleep. Though, fate decided that right now wasn't time for a nap, because just as I was beginning to doze off, my phone buzzed again. Was it Rupert? Hopefully not. It'd be slightly awkward if we were talking on the phone together, because I sound like a dying cat, while his slick, deep voice is...well, slick.

I lifted my phone back up to see that I was actually getting a call from my mother. Why was she calling me?

I slid my finger across the screen to answer the call, and pressed the phone to my ear, "Hello?"

"Jessie? What's wrong with your voice?" Mom's usual uninterested voice asked bluntly from the other line.

"I..." I paused, trying to think if I should tell her I'm sick. No, no. She'll just tell Dad, and he'll overreact and tell me to go to the ER, or something. At least he'd care. "Sore throat."

"Oh," She hummed, sighing loudly, "Well, your father and I will be in town soon, and-"

"Wait, why are you coming to town? You're supposed to be in Paris for another month." I question with a frown, wincing a bit as my voice cracked.

"What have I told you about interrupting me, girl?" Mom asked, her words sharp and painful against my ear.

"O-oh, right...sorry." I mumbled, sitting up. "What were you saying?"

"Right. Your father and I will be in town soon, and we want to set up plans for dinner with you. Get better by next Friday." She spoke so sternly. It sounded like she was demanding me to clear up my sickness by the time they got here. How am I supposed to do that? Ugh, this woman. "Oh, and your father will call you to make the plans."

"Yes, ma'am."

No matter how much I wanted to fight for myself, to stand up to her, I knew I couldn't. She would win. She always wins.

"I'll see you then, Jessie. Goodbye." And the line went dead.

I wonder sometimes if...she cares. For me. I don't ever recall her telling me she loves me, or showing any sign that she even remotely cares for me. I've done everything for her. Tried to be the best daughter I could be. But she never showed anything but...dislike towards me. It's like she didn't want me. Dad, on the other hand, loved me. I was his princess. He was always nice to me, and after mom would yell at me about something I did wrong, he'd come right in after her and protect me. Save me.

"My fault, right?" I scoff to myself quietly, laying back down on the bed and burying my face into the blanket, "Love you, too, mom."

What's today? I can't remember. I've lost track of the date. Since the day my mother had called me, I'd decided that I should get up. Get out. Stop wallering in my own sickness.

With a white knit hat pulled over my hair and ears, I tug my boots on, slip on my jacket, grab my keys, then leave the house. It was a little chilly out, though the sun was showing up in the sky. One of those days.

I pushed my hands into my pockets and, from inside of my pocket, pressed the 'Unlock' button on my car remote thing. Whatever they're called.

As I reached the reddish car I pulled the door open and climbed into the driver seat. It was cold in here too. Why did I decide to do this?

With a light shiver, I pulled my hands out of my pockets, and lifted the keys to my eyes, trying to decide which was the key to the ignition. It probably wasn't a good idea that I'd taken my medicine before I left, but oh well. I could still see. Kinda. Meds are kicking in.

Once I picked a key, I shoved it into the ignition, and twisted it, raising my eyebrows as the car hummed to life and the familiar buzz made me bounce in excitement. Cars were fun.

"I think...is that me?" I gasp, pulling my head back as I stare at my reflection in the mirror. "Woah, when did I get so ugly? Haha."

As I giggled at myself, I pulled out of the driveway, nearly knocking the Garbage Can over. Oops.

Where did I want to go? I could go get something to eat. Ever since I'd gotten sick, I'd been munching on random junk food, and that was all. I was too lazy to cook. Too tired to get out. But now, I could. I think it's cleared up a bit.

Leaning forward, I squint my eyes, and push my foot down on the pedal harder, "Speed limit...ah, it's 45? What am I going? Oh, 70. I'm fast!"

Though, once I hit the busy streets, I slowed down, and scrunched up my nose, "Chinese? Yeah, no. I could...ooh, Starbucks? Then...Chinese food! Didn't I say I didn't want that? Eh, I want it now."

Am I crazy? No, I don't think so. My vision is just a little blurry.

Once I found Starbucks, I pulled into the parking lot, and parked. The store was only slightly busy, so I trudged in, and waited behind a tall woman as she ordered whatever she wanted. Once she was finished and moved, I took a step forward with a small giggle and stared at the cashier, "You look like my bubble."

"Um...can I help you?" The woman asked, her eyebrow cocked.

"I wanna cappachi-chi." I laughed, pushing my hip out to the side. It was cold, cold, cold in here!

She suppressed a smile and rested her hand on the counter, "How do you want it?"

"Tall and vanilla-y."

"Name?"

With a dark, distant look, I stared behind her dramatically and mutter with the best voice I can, "Voldemort. Lord Voldemort."
Last edited by Ciblio on Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'we have lingered in the chambers of the sea /
by sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown /
till human voices wake us, and we drown'

previously:
GuyFieri

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:06 pm
NicoleBri says...

Isabelle

Dafnie had been so drunk the night before, I remembered how crazy she was and couldn't help but laugh, but my oh my Paul was quite the hottie. I flushed as I got out of bed, my dad had went to work early so yay, I didn't have to run into him and let him ruin what should be a great day.

I got my pink sweater and pulled it over my pink and blue striped tank top that I would be wearing today along with some fitted flared jeans. I always loved the way they fit around my butt and so I just stared into my mirror for another moment. Today didn't look like it wanted me to feel pretty. I sighed and dug into my purse to get my lip gloss, I didn't wear make up other than that which I don't even consider make up.

It felt great today and I hopped into my car and turned on my air conditioner. I couldn't afford to be sweaty so that's definitely why I quit taking gym.

I looked out my rear mirror and saw Paul and Dafnie with some others in a car that was passing my house. I smiled to myself, hopefully no one would mention anything from the previous night.

Flashes kept going through my head, I remembered that after Dafnie left to go upstairs with Paul that I might have gotten a little crazy myself. Daf was sort of one of my great friends and I needed her to be by my side so I could be the good girl too. I sighed and then it hit me, oh lord, I hope I hadn't done anything crazy.. like kiss other people, again..

I slapped myself in the head and just kept driving. I needed an iced latte.
Words are a lens to focus one's mind.

- Ayn Rand

267 Reviews

Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:28 am
Nike says...

Dafnie Serena Leto

Hawthorne and I agreed. What would hurt? I mean, it's a hang-out... with a guy I used to hook-up with and I really hot guy. Thorne seems to have her eyes on Merrick, and it's making me a bit uneasy because, well, I have my eyes on him too.

The hookah was on the table. Rupert was standing just in front of it, placing some coal on the head. The lights were dimmed and a chill mix was playing through the room. He took us to his basement, his 'chill pad'. We were seated on this comfy couch, I'm sure it's aged with how when you sit in it, you sink right in. Merrick was on his phone, I guess texting someone. I was just watching Rupert, remembering how a year ago we were in the same position, except that there was less tension.

My phone 'dinged' in my pocket, so I pulled it out and read the text.

Hey! I'm home! Just thought you should know :)

It was Colette. I smiled at the phone and replied. Great, I'm so happy you're feeling better.

I placed my phone in my lap since I was sitting criss-cross on the couch. Looking to my left, I saw Hawthorne watching Rupert as he set up the hookah. I guess she has never done this before cause her face was all scrunched up in question. I tapped her arm and her eyes fell on me.

"You know what that is?" I asked.

She just gently shook her head.

"It's a hookah, I will show you how to smoke it. If you don't wanna, just tell me, kay?"

She nodded this time with a soft smile.

"It's ready, Daffy, wanna start it?" Rupert asked.

I looked up and met with his eyes. Direct contact that sent shivers down my spine. It's like I forgot who I was in that second. I swallowed hard and took the hose that he handed to me. I placed the tip of the hose in my mouth and took in the smoke. It flew rapidly into my mouth, filling it with a peach-mint taste. Great. I softly opened my mouth, letting the smoke fly above my face. Once it evaporated, I saw Rupert's eyes on me. My heart stuttered as I handed Merrick the hose.

Hawthorne had shifted in her spot so I looked at her, she had her eyes on Merrick. I watched as he professionally handled the smoke, letting a thick cloud hide his face. Honestly, I was surprised.

Rupert had sat down across of us on his own love seat, texting away on his phone. My phone had 'dinged' again so I picked it up and read the screen.

Is it weird that Rupert is talking to me?

What? Colette had written that and yet... what?

I looked over at Rupert and saw him placing his phone down next to him, accepting the hose from Merrick. He took in the smoke, letting it out through his mouth and sucking it back through his nose, creating a waterfall affect that flew back out of his mouth. I looked back at Hawthorne and saw her jaw slightly dropped.

"You gotta know what you're doing to do that." I smiled.

Getting back to my phone, I replied.

Kinda

Hawthorne had the hose now, and it was in her hands. She held it away from herself, as if it was poisonous. The music shifted to a song I knew by the High Highs.

"Just place the tip in your mouth... and let out all the air that's in you." I instructed.

She let out some air and looked at me. I smiled reassuringly.

"Now, close your lips over the tip and suck. Don't suck too hard, you don't want it going to your lungs. Just suck enough that it fills your mouth. It might be hard." I finished.

I watched as she did as I said, the familiar sound of water drumming against the container filled my ears. She opened he mouth, letting out a swarm of coughs. I held my laughter and took the hose from her. Hawthorne found me in the cloud of smoke and... smiled?

She smiled.

I took in the smoke then passed it to Merrick.

"It'll get easier," I said.

"You've never smoked before?" Rupet asked Hawthorne, his eyes on her. I could see it made her uneasy as a blush softly grew on her cheeks. He looked at me for a second, making sweat prickle just on the back of my neck.

He still makes me feel the way I felt. Maybe because he was my first everything.

"No," she replied.

"I think that's good," Merrick joined. After we didn't say anything, he kept on talking. "I mean, I think that it's good that she didn't smoke before. It keeps her clean."

Somehow, that made me like him even more.

My phone 'dinged' again so I looked down at it.

"Yeah, some of us start so soon with doing these things that it ruins us. I totally agree with you," Rupert replied.

He came to the hospital to see me for the days I've been here. Dafnie, he came everyday. Rose says that he likes me.

If he's acting like that, I'd think so too. WTF. I replied.

This time when I looked back up at Rupert, my body felt different. Sort of, angry? Like when Merrick said it was good Thorne didn't smoke. Was it... no... was it, jealousy? It couldn't be.

His eyes met mine and somehow, it was like we were telepathic. I wanted to kiss him. The memories of us flooded my brain. He was my first and he will never be nothing to me. And that sucks.

He licked his lips, "I'm going to the kitchen to grab some drinks, you guys want anything?"

And then I remembered Paul. And his kissing me. Sometimes I hated the fact that I never got hungover and I remembered everything I did whilst drunk.

"I do, I'll join you." I suggested.

"Awesome," He said.

it was like we were in our own world as we walked up the steps. Everything felt so familiar, it's like I knew what was going to happen because it was supposed to happen or because it did happen once before. We got into the kitchen since the entrance to the basement was there. It was large and resembled a modern home like the ones you see on HGTV.

Rupert walked over to the island and leaned against it. I followed over, feeling my body was on edge.

"God I want to kiss you." He said out of nowhere.

His words stung my ears and I couldn't reply since my heart was on overdrive.

He looked up at me and our eyes met. What I did next was automatic. I walked over, placing my hand on his neck and closed the space between us, feeling the heat just grow rapidly. I couldn't catch my breath and my lips were dying for his. He pulled me close, his hands on my waist and kissed me, leaving me breathless and my hands pulling his sweater.

Our tongues danced as a swarm of tingles flew on my skin. Our lips touched like soft pillows and then, it was rough and the panting came and I wanted more.

And then, it was like all of that was a second and he pulled away, his eyes trying to meet mine.

We've messed up.

And we both know.

It's like we silently agree that this never happened and walk back downstairs. And yet, now all I could think about was kissing Paul and how kissing his felt completely different.

Spoiler! :
Don't worry, this means nothing... though not really nothing. It won't happen again. Rupert actually likes Jessie. He's becoming friend with Colette. But him and Dafnie just can't be near each other. There's too much tension. This is their lesson learned.

Spoiler! :

271 Reviews

Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:38 am
Gravity says...

Colette

"You don't have to do this, you know," Dafnie said, gently shaking me awake. She helped me sit up as I moved my right side.

"I know," I said.

With a sigh, she helped me undress and get in the shower as well as wash my hair. And when I got out, she had a shower wrap and my chair waiting for me and she blow dried my blonde locks. Her gentle hands helped me dress and she allowed me to do what I can with my right side, like pulling a shirt over my head and running the brush through my hair.

"Why are you going to school so soon?" She asked.

"I need to get out of this house. It's been a week since I got back from the hospital. I'm paralyzed, not an invalid," I joked lightly. Dafnie looked slightly uncomfortable but began to smile when she sawme chuckling.

I was ready for school, but we still had a little bit.

"Cole, you look kinda..." She holds up a mirror and I see what she's talking about. My hair is sleek and shiny but it contrasts with the gaunt paleness of my skin and the dark circles around my eyes.

"Do you want me to help cover that up?" I nod, wiping a tear from my eye with my right hand.

Dafnie dabbed foundation and concealer on my face before adding blush, making my face come back to life. The way she blended the makeup, you could hardly tell I was wearing any.

She held eyeliner and lipstick in her hand, "Do you want natural or fierce?" She asked.

"Fierce."

Her hands applied dramatic eyeliner to my eyes and then she smoothed red lipstick over my mouth, making my teeth look even whiter and my eyes look larger and, well, fiercer.

And then I went to school, Dafnie and Hawthorne by my side. People were nervous around me, staring and looking as if my condition was a virus and they'd catch it any second. And I wanted to cry, but I knew Dafnie will kill me if I messed up her masterpiece.

French came. I'd been doing my assignments on a computer, typing slowly but surely and my teachers emailed me copies of the notes. I was getting around. And then I had to sit next to Rupert. I couldn't believe him. He wouldn't look at me or even talk to me.

At least I had Hunter and Dafnie and Rose.

"Thanks guys," I said, as the bell rang. "I would die without you."

What they didn't know as they smiled and hugged me was that I was serious. If I didn't have them, I would be dead. Or at least, I wouldn't have the will to live.

267 Reviews

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:08 pm
Nike says...

Paul Jenkins

I wasn't the bad guy and no matter how badly I would've done what she asked me to, I didn't. The would be taking advantage. That would hurt both her and I. Honestly, it wasn't worth ruining our friendship. No one but us would really know that it happened if it did. Or rather, only I would know, cause she'd be too drunk to grasp the idea.

So what I did instead is tuck her in and shut the door, joining the party. I managed to find Isabelle in the crowd and I joined her, dancing around and drinking some more.

The party died down after around three and we all left.

It was the next day of school, a few days after the party. I was in Astronomy when I realized that there was something happening with Dafnie. She's late to class. We took this class for college credit, it was one of the only classes we had together.

When the bell rang, I noticed that I wasn't concentrating on the lesson at all. I walked out with the rest of the class behind me, roaming around the hallway until I saw Colette. She was in a wheelchair and standing just in front of her is Dafnie with a smile playing on her face.

I walked over, making my way through the crowded hallway, and joined them. Dafnie looked up at me, her eyes seemed glassy, making the blue brighter.

"Hey," she said.

I looked down at Colette and smiled. She needed a smile to forget her pain. She smiled back, as if nothing was wrong, pain was hidden in her eyes though.

"You missed Astronomy," I commented.

All Dafnie did is nod and look past me. I turned my head and saw Isabelle walking towards us. My heart leaped into my throat as I smiled at her approaching figure. Her eyes found mine and she smiled back.

"Hey guys," Isabelle told us.

"Hey Izzy," Dafnie replied. "You wanna go with us to class?"

"I'm actually on my hour break... I can walk with you."

I feel like Dafnie was trying to avoid the word walking in any way. But it didn't seem to bother Colette cause she just nodded and started pushes the wheels of the chair herself. Dafnie followed behind with Izzy and I.

"So, that party..." I laughed. "We should do that again."

"Yeah, I happen to have this condition where I remember everything and don't get hungover. So yeah, I can do it everyday." Dafnie said.

"That's impossible!" Isabelle protested, looking at Dafnie with wide eyes. As was I, because I was sure she told me before she was hungover and doesn't remember a night.

Dafnie simply shook her head. "If I tell you I don't remember something, I'm lying just too make myself look better. I remember all the embarrassing things but I will tell you I don't just so I could pretend I didn't even do it." and that's when she looks at me. She did remember, she knew. Her eyes said it all.

A tension flooded my body and I swallowed hard. It's not like I did anything, she said those things.

"... and I'm so sorry I made it awkward." Dafnie held back a laugh as we walked. "Why would I even say that?! God, alcohol makes me a whore." she laughed.

I just laughed along, hiding my uneasiness. Isabelle caught my eyes and I saw something pass them before she laughed too.

"I wouldn't kiss you on a normal day." Dafnie kept on reeling on, ruining my chances with Isabelle. "You're a good friend for saying no." and I guess, this should have fixed it.

I didn't want her to think there was anything between us, cause if anything, I would want Isabelle. There would never be anything for Dafnie and I, no matter how much I'd want it.

We reached a room that read 107 - Math. Colette stopped just in front of the door and nodded at Dafnie. This was her class and the rest of us had to find our own.

"Hawthorne should be in your next class Cole, she'll help you. Now you've got these two losers." Dafnie smiled, walking into the room.

I waved her off and we kept on going, taking a left at the end of the hallway. And right then, Rupert came around the corner, smiling at Colette. Some tension set in, leaving me wondering what was going on.

Isabelle and I stopped just behind Colette and Rupert walked up closer, looking from Isabelle to me and back to Colette.

"Hey Cole, how are you?" you'd think this was a terrible question to ask, but it's like they had their own language and it made her smile, even a little pink grew in her cheeks.

"I'm doing great actually, enjoying the whole idea of being able to be late for class. You?"

He smiled back. "Okay, I wish I could not be here, ya know?"

"Same," she gushed.

I looked at Isabelle and saw that she was already looking at me with her eyebrow raised. She was just as confused as I was. We looked back at them. Their eyes were linked with some sort of magical force because they couldn't look away. And standing behind them made me feel so... intruding.

"Where are you guys headed?" Rupert asked us, looking away from Colette for once.

I looked back at Isabelle and she shrugged her shoulders in reply. Turning back to Rupert, I replied.

"Isabelle and I have a free period, so we are helping Colette to her next class."

"I got her, you guys can go have your fun." he suggested.

What the fuck?

He saw that I was thinking that, I knew, cause he laughed out loud.

"Seriously, I got this." He made his way to the back of her chair, placing his hands on the handles. I rose an eyebrow at Isabelle and waited for more. Nothing came, so he pushed her down the hallway and I heard Colette laughing.

"The fuck is going on?" I finally asked.

Isabelle was silent.

Spoiler! :

267 Reviews

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:33 pm
Nike says...

Rupert Jean Franz

I wasn't that bad of a guy, was I? I mean, the way Paul looked at me felt so judged, but I ignored it.

So every Friday we had to come to school in uniform, thank God it wasn't Friday. This is the one and only time any student will say this. Trust me. So keep it in memory. It was a Monday and my attitude was so great, I couldn't stop smiling.

I was with Colette. She had her next class in the Einstein building. But me being me, I made her ditch this one time. I took her to the Hemingway building, it was the one with all the Art and English classes. There was an area just in front of this building with benches for classes to have a breather. No class was outside today. From here you had direct view to all four buildings.

Einstein
Curie
Hemingway
Hitchcock

The owner of this school must have a thing for names of these people. Like, why not names the buildings just Art, Science, Math and Extras? Like any other school? We have to be all fancy.

I was sitting on the bench and she sat next to me on her chair. It must have been hard for her, I know it. It's just a few days after she left the hospital. I mean, if I was her... I don't know what I'd do with myself.

"Never have I ever killed a man." I said.

Looking over at her I saw that her eyebrow was raised. A smile pricked at her cheek as her eyes met mine.

She paused. "Never have I ever stole candy from a kid."

"Never have I ever gotten drunk."

"No!" she held her breath for a moment, looking at me in disbelief. "Yeah you did! You had to!"

I just shook my head back. "Nope," I popped the 'p'.

"I'm serious." I said after she kept her jaw dropped for a few moments longer.

She looked at her lap and her phone lit up. Hawthorne was written on the screen, there was a text message. She ran her finger passed the screen and looked at it with her good hand. I watched worry shape her face. then, she looked at me.

"I'm no pro at one handed texting yet, can you reply for me?"

I nodded and took the phone from her, suddenly realizing again that she's so hurt. I looked over the screen and waited for her to say something.

Hey, are you okay? You're not here yet... Dafnie said you'd be here. Didn't Isabelle take you to class?

Hawthorne was acting like any good friend. It made my heart swell up.

"Tell her I'm okay and that I'm with you."

I hesitated, of course I did. I don't think Hawthorne wants her with me. I looked at her and just just nodded, urging me to write. I ran my fingers passed the keyboard and wrote what she told me, hitting send.

"Thanks, I don't want her to be worried." she smiled.

Spoiler! :

here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a treee called life; which grows higher than the soul can home or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
— e.e. cummings