z

Young Writers Society

Location Unknown: Mission Failed

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Fri May 14, 2010 1:46 pm
sunstarfrozenlife says...

Claudia, Fighters Dock, 6:10pm

Rachell sighed and sat down next to me. "Dang, we need something to do," she said. I nodded in agreement and we fell into silence again.

The man came back with his toolbox and began work again. "You don't have to peer over his shoulder like that," Rachell said mildly, not seeming to care too much but just wanting something to say since she was mind-numbingly bored.

“I’m making sure that he doesn’t do anything to it,” I said, giving the mechanic a warning glance. He looked exasperated but didn’t comment.

“C’mon, Claud, want to go to the Galley? We’ll have a lot more to do up there, the ceremony is probably over so it’s not like anyone’s going to freak out at us, and there are a lot of other reasons too,” Rachell finished all in one breath.

“But-”

“That’s a great idea,” the mechanic said, stressing the word great. “Why don’t you just go and leave me to my job, ok?” he finished.

I sighed. “Alright, alright, let’s go,” I muttered and followed Rachell up to the Galley.

“What do you want?” asked the barmaid cheerfully.

“Nothing,” I said.

Rachell rolled her eyes and ordered a drink. I turned to my left to see a girl I hadn’t met before and then back to my right to see Rachell. I turned back to my left. “Hey, I haven’t seen you around. I’m Claudia,” I said, shaking her hand.

“Lisa,” she said with a nod.

“Nice to meet you,” I said and, to have something to do, I turned back towards the crowd and surveyed them all. We needed something to do.
When your life is based around the face of Sawyer from Lost you know you're officially obsessed.
--
Join Isha's SB, the Shadows!
And mine, Lament of Innocence!
And LDR's, Dark Fey!
And- ok, I'm going to shut up now.
:D

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Fri May 14, 2010 2:25 pm
LastPaladin says...

Hayden MacQuinn: The Bridge - 2100

Out of all the places Hayden wanted to be right now wasn't the Bridge. But hearing about Captain Riggs death, it had shook him unbelievably. He'd been assigned to ship just as it old Captain was replaced. So out of all his time on ship, he remembered Riggs most.

Just being in the room was eerie, he could see some of the engineers working on replacing something, but something struck him as extremely odd. There were about fifty engineers on this ship. But he counted only five here. We had a repair here which was incredibly important and only five engineers.

"Where are the rest of you?"

One looked up, muttered something and got back to work.

Trying again he asked, "Damage assesment, the same one looked up, "We're fucked."

Hayden was alarmed by this.

The doors opened and in came Roan.

He saw who it was, and Roan said nothing, except "This better be good... my second in command in the Hospital wing."

Sighing, Hayden shifted uncomforably, he needed a drink badly, "When I left isolation I heard a noise and investigated... it was a stowaway, young girl. I thought nothing of it, and..." his eyes looked down at floor, "... I used her... I really thought nothing of it, but it was too much to ignore after Captain Riggs death, I apologize for not reporting sooner."

Roan glared at him, "And you neglect this fact, why?! For fun."

Hayden admired his shoes, "It was either that or she get blown out into space. I know protocol Captain Cbosky and must I remind you. I served on this ship much longer than you have."

"This is a clear violation of protocol, you ignored a circumstance and few hours later Captain Riggs was dead." Roan stated his temper rising.

Sighing, Hayden nodded, "Well... I understand if this is isolation again... I'll just get Lancey boy to put me in."

"No... we need all fighters around, that will be all."

Hayden left, saluting respectfully.
You poor take courage
You rich take care
This earth was made a common treasury
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace
The orders came to cut them down

Billy Bragg - The World Turned Upside Down

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Fri May 14, 2010 5:27 pm
PhoenixBishop says...

Elle~ Party~1:32 am

I was worried about Isaac he had left the party in such a hurry, but my concern for him was put on hold for Riggs dead and several crew members hadn't taken to it well. Most of my time at the party consisted of consoling some half drunk person lamenting about how we had lost a great captain. I smiled and took indulged them setting up dozens of sessions that would probably have my schedule blocked up for weeks. I made a note of each session I would have on a napkin and put it in my pocket.

When I got tired of being solicited I left the part and headed to my office. I decided to walk by Isaac's to see if he was ok. Out of all my patients he was my favorite. I was almost to his room when a group of medics ran past me nearly knocking me over. My stomach sank and I ran to follow them.

When I reached the room I saw that Isaac bleeding from his stomach and the medics treating his wounds.

I let out a small gasp. "What happened?"

Roan looked at me. "I just woke up and he was like this."
I nodded as the medics began to put him on a gurney so they could transport him to the medical ward.

"He'll be fine, the wound is rather superficial," on of the female medics said.
I couldn't remember her name although I was sure I had scene her before. I nodded as they began to exit.

I began to look around the room for Isaacs's notebook. I found it and began to rifle through the pages. I told him to write what ever came to mind in this notebook, maybe it he had some clue as to who did this.

"Are you sure you should be doing that," Roan asked.
I glanced at him. "I counsel the man on weekly bases I already know how his mind works." I said.

On one of the pages said What if one of the engineers killed Riggs. I paused on that page. If it were true then someone on the engineering staff would have very good reason to attack him. I closed the book and put it back on his desk.

Elle~ Hallway~3:24am

I felt ridicules creeping down the corridors so early in the morning, but I needed to know if what Isaac wrote was true. I reached the engineering room and looked both ways before punching in a code. A code I had tricked out of a rather drunken engineer.
The door slid open and I stepped in. The room was filled with computers and odd machines that I could only guess at their purposes. I picked the closest computer and used the drunken mans account to log in. I sifted through all of his contents and found a folder labeled Engine room. I was compelled to open it. I clicked on the file and was surprised to find a report.

I have been unable to access the engine room. All contact with those in the engine room at the time has been severed and we assume them to be dead. I told Captain Riggs about this the day of his murder. He seemed shaken by the turn of events and told to tell no one. Although he is dead I have followed his orders. I plan now on telling the new Captain Roan. Something is wrong in that engine room and I can't be silent any more.
I read this several times. Someone was covering up something and the engine room was the key. II wondered if I could squeeze any more information out of the engineer in question. I printed out the report and went to see if the engineer was still at the bar.
He wasn't there so I asked around and tracked his room down. I knocked first. "Mr. Dalton can I have a word with you.

There was no answer.

I wanted to believe he was just passed out drunk but my blood went cold any way as I entered. Lying in a pool of blood was Mr. Dalton, the engineer that I had written the report. I screamed at the top of my lungs.

Elle~Office~7:00am

After I was asked about a dozen questions by security and taking a nap I went to my office and started to organize my book alphabetically. Organizing things calmed me when I was stressed out.

There was a knock on my door.

"Come in," I said. Maybe a patient's problems would allow me to forget the fact that I had seen two bloody men this morning. I made a note to myself to visit Isaac to see if he was feeling better.

The door slip open and a girl walked in. She was probably a little younger then me and she had long black hair and dark brown eyes.

"Dr. Foster?"

"Dr. Foster was my Uncle. Call me Elle." I like to be on a first name bases with my patience so they could relate me as a friend rather then a doctor.

"Ok. I'm Sarah Willar. I work in the Biology department and I was wondering if I could talk to you."

I looked at my napkin from last night. None of my crying over Riggs sessions would start into late in the afternoon so I had time.

"Ok, sit down and tell me what's on your mind."
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sat May 15, 2010 4:46 pm
LittlePetRock says...

Kat - workout room - 8:00 A.M

"...and that's why it's called the fish 'n' chips." I finished my lecture to the young female recruits. Either I just scared the hell out of them, or just gave them some great tips for the right time.
I leaned against the southern wall of the large workout room and looked around. There were several exercise machines to the left, and a couple boxing rings to the right. I stood was where the lockers were, most of us used them to hide things like vodka and cigarettes. A trio of guys walked by us, calling me by my infamous nickname.
"Hey Pussy, you reckon I can get get some?" the short one teased. My face grimaced, I hated that nickname. Curse Hayden for spreading it.
"If it's a punch in the face, sure you can," I drawled my fist back.
"Easy there Kitty-Kat," the young pilot put his hands on my hips and kissed me. I bit his lip and he jumped back.
"Hmm, you got some spice. I like that," he moved in closer.
"Screw you, I don't go for young-guns like you," I shoved him off of me. Like that, his reflexes kicked in and he took a swing at me. I ducked and sent a low blow to his abdomen.
"You whore," he squeaked as he doubled over in pain. His two minions moved in, making sure he was okay. I glanced back at the young recruits, they were long gone. I looked back at the trio, all of them wore angry faces.
"Come on you douche bags. Let's see what you got!" I eased out into the clear, putting myself into fighting position.

**This can be anyone. Sorry I didn't get to start yesterday, it's been a busy but boring week.**
Star light; star bright,
It is time to take flight.
Off I go through the dark of night.
All my hopes and dreams in sight.

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Sat May 15, 2010 7:40 pm
eldEr says...

Rachell Burgess, 9:19am, Hayden's Room

I sighed and rapped on Hayden's door, semi-hoping he was in. He was a great pilot and all, but he was such a little creep. I despised trips to his room.

He opened the door, frowning. "I'm busy, come back later," he muttered, trying to slam the door in my face. I put my arms up and pushed it back open, trying to squeeze inside. This was actually of semi-importance and he was going to listen whether he liked it or not. "No... NO stay out, I've a girl in!" He sounded nervous, frantic even. What was his problem?

“Hayden, this is important! Girl or not, let me in!” I demanded, placing the side of my foot against the door.

He pressed harder on the other side of the door. "I can't... I'm naked... I... got a girl in... the door jammed." What was wrong with him? He was usually pretty confident, but he was having a full-blast panic attack.

I groaned. “You have three minutes to get dressed and kick the girl out! You hear me, Hayden? Three minutes!” I took a deep breath, trying to calm down.

"But... this is my alone time... I need time to unwind!” I rolled my eyes. Like I cared about how much he needed to unwind. So did I, but orders were orders.

“I said you have three minutes. I mean it!” I was getting impatient. I really didn't have time for this right now.

"This can wait, I don't barge into your room!"

I didn't back away from the door. “Last time I checked, you didn't give me orders either! Two minutes left!”

“Please Rachell, don't, please!” Was that a sob I heard in his voice?

I rolled my eyes, feeling rather exasperated. He was impossible! “Hayden, we've got a scouting mission in two hours! Let me in NOW! I don't care if you have a girl with you or not! Put some pants on and hurry up about it!”

"No, it can wait, just um... give me... time." Was he pleading with me?

I sighed. Fine. I would give him time; not much of course, but time all the same. “You have half an hour, that's it, then I'm coming back. If you're not ready by then, too bad for you.” I leaned against his door, crossing my arms. I didn't plan on giving him half an hour. More like half a minute.

His voice relaxed and I could sense him grinning. “Can't wait.” I heard him walk across the floor and took my chance.

I burst in and slammed the door behind me, grinning. Go figure, he was fully clothed. The only thing on his bed was a bunch of scrap paper and a photo of some chick I didn't recognize. I didn't even want to know.

"NO... out... you shouldn't see me like this." he quickly put one of his hands behind his back.

I raised an eyebrow. “Like what? Fully clothed? Give me a break, Hayden,” I muttered. I craned my neck, trying to see what he was hiding. “And what are you hiding behind your back?” I crossed my arms, staring at him intently.

"It's a used condom... yeah a used condom."

I highly doubted it. “From what?” I demanded. “I don't see a girl anywhere, so this must mean it was from an affair with an empty bed?” I smirked and took a step forward. He wasn't winning this one.

"I may be small, but I will hurt you, leave me and Meg alone... I mean me leave me alone..."

My brow furrowed. “Meg?” What was he not telling me? “Hayden...” I whispered warningly, taking another step towards him. I didn't doubt he could hurt me, but now I was intrigued.

"I meant beg... not Meg, not lovely Meg, not wonderful Meg..."

Okay, so now I was concerned. What the heck was he talking about? “Hayden...” I said his name warningly again. I had no clue what else to say to that one. Beg? I mean really! How dumb did he think I was?

His voice was filled with complete fear, "Please... Rachell... don't open this door..."

What door? “Cut the crap. I came here to talk to you about a scouting mission.” I took another step towards him, frowning.

"Ya lied about waiting..."

I smirked. Of course I lied. “You didn't really give me much of a choice. This is important. You lied too, remember? You lied about your state of being.” I took another step towards him.

"He reached his hands out revealing his other hand, "I'm warning you, I'll fight back."

I gawked at his finger. A ring? He was married?! “You little ass...” I growled, uncrossing my arms and balling my hands into fists at my sides.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sat May 15, 2010 8:28 pm
Lumi says...

Captain Chbosky | The Galley | 9:37 AM

"Are you okay, Roan?" The droning voice echoed in my ears, but never connected to my brain. The vowels stretched on for centuries, ringing out in tiny ripples in a shallow pond. In my head, I could see Luna watching over the lake where I had proposed, and the girl's eyes were leagues beyond the beauty of the moon.

And she reached out her hand and touched my face while we just sat there, entranced in the wisdom of the silence between us. And she drew closer, and I held my breath, and her lips touched mine, and I made my final decision that I loved her.

She pulled away from my lips slowly and rested her head on my chest, the chest that held the heart of a god, and she listened to my breath as I let my hold go. And the grandeur of the moonlight overtook us in waves.

"Roan, I'm worried..." The letters were unconnected and individual, sailing on moonlit tides by themselves without any accompaniment. And as they sailed by, they would sing wordless songs in my ears, serenading me as I waited in the emergency room.

That night, the moon of Kuron was watching over my angel, and for the first time in my life, I prayed. And my prayers were all connected, all hovering around the same angelic triplet of syllables in heaven or on earth.

God, save Natalie.

And my prayers slowly became tears and sobs as the hours passed, and the Kuron moon had to look away because watching this man break was just too much for her beautiful orange eyes.

"You seem eons away..."

And the doctors brought out the sparkling gold engagement ring as I had requested. And that was the last thing I had to hold of her after her spirit left to spend eternity with the holy dark.

But words began to reconnect and phrases began to slither into reality, melting the funeral service and the phone call from the Vitality's captain and the years spent succeeding in the fleet...

It all melted away into the dimly-lit galley in the morning light of an unknown star.

Logan sat beside me in Isaac's normal place. He was worried, clearly, but he held business in his hands and that was the last thing I needed.

"Roan... Roan, please..."

The assailant stabbed him and managed to twist the blade before escaping, rupturing a vital or-...

And where had the fearless Captain Roan been? Asleep in the closet, intoxicated up to my neck in inexplicable faults.

"We're dispatching two fighters, Roan."

And when I opened my eyes, I just saw them carrying him off to the medical ward.

"We have to find out where we are."

And I could smell his blood and sweat as he laid there, dying.

"The scouters will leave soon."

But he was alive. My friend had to be alive.

"The officials have requested that you see them off."

The holy dark would have to find a new piece of her heart.

"So we have less than an hour, sir..."

Isaac belonged here with me.

"I really hope this is all registering with you."

I stood up, walking off as a waitress hauled away the bowl of gray syrup. Logan tailed me like a cop paid commission and looked over at me with that same damned expression they all had. The expression that said, "It's completely understandable to be asleep while your best friend is stabbed while trying to protect you. No one blames you. It's completely natural."

"These things happen, Roan."

And I stopped, my lips pursed into a dull, flat line. And I just stared at him, wishing he would've been the one stabbed and in the hospital ward. Or me. Anyone but Isaac. My breath welled in my throat and my blood boiled under my skin in fury, but not a word came out. "Go."

He raised an eyebrow at me, still holding the file. "Go and see the pilots off." My voice was barely audible: a broken, soulless whisper, as gray as the morning light in the ship and as empty as the halls.

Logan stepped back, not sure what to do, exactly. But he finally turned without another word and disappeared as I listened to his footsteps crossing the galley floor.

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
Medical Ward | 9:51 AM
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

"He's asleep right now, so if you could just come back later..."

I held up my new Captain's badge and she came to a soft silence, walking off to tend to another patient hurt in the bridge accident.

I walked over slowly to his bed, still seeing no color other than gray. He seemed so defenseless, so vulnerable.

And the bloodstain on the sheets covering his side made me cringe.

So I can see color...

I reached down, taking his hand from the side of the bed and clasped it in my own, just dwelling in the fact that Isaac was alive.

They had to have given him strong medications. Or would they have refrained due to the alcohol?

I sat there for ages, waiting on his response, but nothing came. The dreary morning chill on the ship wasn't helping, so I called for the nurse to bring him another blanket. Slowly, I gazed up at the clock, letting out a sigh as I did so. It was time to see the fighter pilots off, and Logan would kill me if I missed it.

I squeezed Isaac's hand, smiling at the weak squeeze he returned by reflex. Then I stood, leaving him as he was before any of this had happened. Happy, paranoid prophet, Isaac...
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

121 Reviews

Sat May 15, 2010 10:04 pm
PhoenixBishop says...

Logan~ Workout room 8:00am

After going through all the old transmission files we had on paper I decided to relax myself by going to the gym. So I got there and started my regular exercise routine, which started with an hour long run, hour long weight training, and then an hour long swim. I was only in my running phase for a few minutes when I noticed a slight dispute Kat was arguing with one of the pilots. Kat was one of the female fighter pilots on the ship and tended to attract the eye of many men, including myself, although I never thought of her as her nickname.

The pilot leaned over and kissed her and she bit him. After a few more cross words she took a swing and a fight broke out. Two other pilots flanked him and I could only see this ending badly. Kat was spunky and strong but three against one was still a bit much. I ran over there and jumped in-between the two fights.

“Hey guys, how’s it going?” I said with a smile.

“Get out of my way alien boy,” the one that had been punched spat.

“I would but a fight would break out then people would get hurt and I’ll have to report it and… Let’s just say it would be unwise for a fight to break out.”

I doubted a word even entered his meaty head.

“Pussy was the one not cooperating,” he said.

“You tried to kiss me you piece of crap,” she said.

I mentally scolded her. She would escalate things if she didn’t stay quite. I really didn’t need to worry about some thug pilots when the ship was in such a state.

“We can talk about this, maybe go to Elle’s office and talk about why violence is bad,” I suggested. “She has anger dummies to punch.” I said this like I was trying to convince a child to go to a park.

“I’d rather punch her, but you’ll do.” Before I could react he punched be straight in the face. Blood gushed form my nose and Kat took the opportunity to tackle him to the ground and send a cascade of punches to his face. One of the other guys approached her from behind.

I sighed. I hated violence but this seemed unavoidable. I tackled the other guy and pushed him so his head slammed into the side of a weights machine. The other guy grabbed Kat from behind but she kicked him in the crotch and he crumpled to the floor groaning.

Kat nodded to me. “Thanks I guess but I could have handled it,”

“Of course you could have,” I said with a smile.

She looked at me and grabbed a towel to mop up my bleeding nose.

“You should probably go to the medical ward for that,” she said poking my nose to see if was broken.

“Oww that hurt.”

“Stop being a baby. What were you thinking anyway with that let’s all be friends and talk it out nonsense.”

“I was trying to avoid this,” I indicated to my nose.

She pulled the towel away and through it in the waste bucket. “Keep your head up, most of the bleeding has stopped but to be sure keep you head up.

“What should we do with them I asked?

“Let someone find them,” she said.

I looked at her and noticed that she hadn’t been hurt at all. Not even a bruise on her skin. I could definitely understand why most guys liked her so much. There was no doubt how beautiful she was.

I smiled uncomfortably. “Well I’m going to the medical ward,” I said before leaving.

Logan~ The Galley~9:37am

After getting my nose fixed I found Roan in the Galley and took this time to talk business with him. A lot was happening and for some reason was the messenger between everyone else and our new captain. He seemed very distant as I went over what was being done and what he had to do. I suspected he was thinking about Isaac. In all honesty I wanted to leave him alone and let him be with his thoughts but my new job wouldn’t allow it.

"We're dispatching two fighters, Roan."

Ignored.

"We have to find out where we are."

Ignored.

"The scouters will leave soon."

Ignored.

"The officials have requested that you see them off."

Ignored.

"So we have less than an hour, sir..."

Ignored.

"I really hope this is all registering with you."

Ignored and he got up and started walking away. I followed him, and smiled at him reassuringly. This seemed to annoy him so I let it fade.

"These things happen, Roan."

Out of all the things I had said this one seemed to register. He looked at me with a level of contempt that I was sure his glare lone could boil the skin off my face.

“Go,” he said.

I raised an eyebrow. I was about to point out that he was captain and if he didn’t deal with all of this I would have to. I knew myself well enough to know that I couldn’t make such decisions that a captain had to.

I wanted my old life back with little responsibility. Translate a few hundred alien languages, try to remain out of conflicts, and admire Kat from a distance. That life made sense.

"Go and see the pilots off,” Roan said.

I stepped back realizing my old life was gone and I would have to take command of this new one if I was going to survive. The concept scared me. I turned away from Roan and left. The whole time thinking about how I would take command of this new life. Well for starters I could go see these Pilots off. I would worry about my personal infatuation with Kat later. After my run in with some of the pilots earlier today I was not looking foward to meeting more now.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Sun May 16, 2010 2:37 pm
LastPaladin says...

Hayden MacQuinn: 9:15 am- Day 2

Hayden blanched, "Shit..."

"You're MARRIED?!"

Looking backwards and forwards, Hayden said nothing.

"How can you be married?!" She took yet another step towards him.

"We had a ceremony, and we were married... it's not hard." he replied ruefully.

"We have a mission to talk about," she hissed through gritted teeth. She seemed to be far from happy.

The Hayden said something rather odd, "Don't judge me... why you think I want to return to Ireland?"

Rachell raised an unamused eyebrow. "This has nothing to do with Ireland! We are going on a scouting mission! The thing that started all of this in the first place!" She was shouting now.

“You have no right, no fucking right to barge in here, and judge me as a bad person. I love Meg, I adore her. Hell, I’m married to her. Only time I get peace is in my room, everyone judges as a jerk. When they know nothing about me!”

"Hayden, you were sleeping with other girls! You are flippin' married! Yes, you are a jerk!"

Sighing in exasperation, he yelled, “Don’t ya get Rachell, I’m messed up!”

She crossed her arms, glaring at him. "I sorta noticed that one a while back..."

“But, I’m the goddamn best fighter you’ve got. I love Meg, and if ya had any idea of how much I resent what I do, you’d have no right to judge me.”

Rachell sighed loudly. "Look, I can't leave now because we have a mission to do. Believe it or not, I don't want to do this either! We don't have a choice!"

Hayden said nothing, just looking around, at the whole scene and trying to figure out anything witty he could say, words inscribed in his brain of half finished letters, ‘I love you Meg.’, I’m sorry Meg’, ‘They meant nothing... please forgive me...’ and lastly, ‘I wish could go back and fix this all.’. All these half done letters, never sent or finished. Had he truly lost it all because of his fear.

She was tapping her foot impatiently, Hayden saw, but he kept thinking and wondering. Sex and love, a huge gap in his opinion, no bridge between the others. Kisses of lust were phoney and lies, kisses of desire, rocked his body.

"Hayden..." Rachell said warningly.

“Tell anyone... tell anyone at all...”

Getting lost in thought again, he remembered the wedding oh how beautiful it was, and he swore to stay loyal, funny how he was on a ship now with broken promises and apologies written but never sent. He wouldn’t seek help either. It was all fine until Rachell burst in.

"Hayden...I will tell somebody if I need to...it might not happen, but I wouldn't have a choice. I'm not the highest power on this ship."

Again returning to reality, he pleaded, “Please...”

She sighed and stared at her feet. "Hayden, I won't if I don't have to...But if somebody asks...somebody like Roan or Isaac, I'll have no choice."
“Let’s get this over with... this is going to be a long day...”

"What? The mission? Or are you just testing me?" She lifted her head and glared at him.

“Yes... the mission... just give me two ticks...”
Quickly Hayden began clearing his room hiding his ring and finally his room looked less like a lovelorn moron.

Flinging on his jacket his composure changed, “All systems go.”

Rachell smiled. "And we're off," she muttered.
You poor take courage
You rich take care
This earth was made a common treasury
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace
The orders came to cut them down

Billy Bragg - The World Turned Upside Down

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun May 16, 2010 5:51 pm
Rydia says...

Sorry about the delay, waaaaay too much work to do. Grrrr.

Shaun Paladin; 9:30am; Day 2

All of this trouble was bad for business or rather it was good for the wrong type of business. Half the crew were off repairing or fighting or attempting to solve the trouble in some way. Hell I barely even knew what the trouble was except Riggs was dead - a waste of a fine looking man - and everyone who didn't have a job to do wanted to get drunk as a skunk. They weren't even pretending to be sociable drinkers. Oh yeah and we were headed into the Dead Zone. That there was enough trouble for any ship.

It was barely morning and half my tables were full. Lizzie and Imogen weren't due back on shift for another couple of hours so it was just me and Annabelle behind the bar. Usually that was enough for the morning shift but this was a morning like no other. Still. I wasn't about to shake my schedule up so they could just form an orderly queue and wait for their alcohol.

"Want to take five, gorgeous?" She looked like she needed it. Today's patrons were more than any bar staff should have to deal with. I was tempted to send a few packing. To Anabelle's credit, she shook her head and turned to the next customer. I gave my bar a good wipe with a cloth and nodded invitingly at whoever was next up. My eyes swivelled in that direction and I looked the customer up and down. Tall, wide frame, male, safe. Safe meaning he wasn't drunk enough to be causing trouble any time soon. And mmmmm could he cause some trouble with those muscular arms. Yum, yum.

"What will it be?" I asked with a charming smile. That was what the crew needed: friendly bar staff to get them through these terrible troubles. I leaned toward him casually.

"A pint of Carling," the man ordered.

"Drinking alone?" I filled him a glass and set it down in front of him. He held the money out and I let my fingers brush against his, feeling the warmth of his hand. He looked vaguely surprised but not displeased. He probably thought I was just being friendly.

"Shaun-" The tone of Annabelle's voice made me turn my head quickly and I leaned toward her. "Table four," she murmured. Looking over there, sure enough, a fight was about to break out. I nodded and rolled the sleeves of my shirt up, making my way across the bar. I stopped at the table just in time to catch the arm of a burly man as he tried to smash his glass on the side of the table. He turned to me with angry, half-glazed eyes.

"We don't have an unlimited supply of glasses," I said in a flat tone. "If they keep getting broken, we won't have anything to put the drinks in."
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sun May 16, 2010 6:37 pm
Lumi says...

Captain Roan Chbosky | Flight Deck Alpha | 10:25 AM | Day 2

"Let's get these flight charts down, please?"

The flight engineers ran about excitedly, finally having a job to do. The sound of hydraulic pistons and test engines echoed in the large hangar, reaching almost deafening levels. Logan met me up on the briefing deck, closing the soundproof door behind him and the two pilots, Rachell and Hayden. The two came in arguing, but hushed as soon as the sound of machinery faded from their ears. With just the four of us in the room, the tension rose.

They saluted and I returned it, motioning for them to have a seat. They did, and I took my place behind a large desk that housed one of the few working hologram projectors on the ship. After clicking a few buttons, I projected a map of the ship's immediate surroundings, which housed one planet and a red giant star.

"You two are here today, of course, because of a scouting mission I have set up for you. Before you leave, I'll disclose a bit of information that must not leave this room."

The two kept eying each other, which got annoying while I spoke.

"We are officially in the Dead Zone. But that's no secret anymore. What is shocking about this information," I sighed, "is that our engines completely gave out once we crossed parsec 93.174-Delta." The map showed a glowing red line right behind where our ship idled.

"Bloody He-.."

I cut off Hayden, shaking my head. "As far as I can see, we have no reason to panic." I flashed them one of my 'be optimistic; you're with Roan!' smiles and pointed back at the map.

"The good part about this is that we can now idle without wasting energy and figure out where in the universe we are."

"Have other cruisers not sent for us?" Rachell's squeaked through the silence like a mouse.

"Well, yes... Possibly. Maybe... It's all very difficu-..."

"We don't know." Logan dropped the bomb on the floor and let it tick.

"Our communications tower was destroyed in the Bridge incident."

I smiled, shrugged, and leaned back in the office chair, keeping innocent blue eyes on both of them. "We'll be fine, I swear."

Rachell nodded, looking out the glass walls to the flight deck where both of their ships were ready and waiting.

"Your job is to scout out the area between The Demeter and the planet to the south."

"North."

"South..."

"Sir," Logan whispered, "It's North."

"...Your job is to scout out the area between The Demeter and the planet to the North."

Hayden looked at the hologram map, squinting his eyes. "Aye, it looks to the south t'me."

Rachell continued staring out at their ships. "How long do we have to return?"

"We expect you back in a day, tops. The area isn't that large and, to be frank, there's nothing out there."

The two pilots nodded, taking on the weight of the situation.

"Godspeed."
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Sun May 16, 2010 7:33 pm
sunstarfrozenlife says...

Claudia | Flight Deck Alpha | 10:35 AM | Day 2

I watched Rachell as she got into the scouting fighter.

“Anything I can do, Captain?” I asked. He sent me a glance. “Nothing at the moment, thank you,” he said, looking slightly distracted.

I sighed. I had nothing to do. The more experienced flyers of the fighters were going out on these scouting missions. I had nothing to do except sit here and hope that something would come along for me to do. Like it would.

“Hey, Claudia,” I could hear a voice behind me. Someone walked up that I hadn’t met. “You’ve got nothing to do either?”

“No,” I muttered. “Nothing. At all. For me. To do.”

I watched as Rachell got into her fighter plane to go scout. “Dang, wish I was there,” I muttered.

“Yeah, well, we can’t have everything in life.”

I turned and the person was gone. Hallucinations? Great. What next? I decided to go back to my room. I walked out of the Fighters Deck, and to my room. I sat down and pulled out a picture of my daughter. The one I had left behind with her grandmother.

“I’ll come back to you soon,” I said with a sigh before putting it away and lying down to think.
When your life is based around the face of Sawyer from Lost you know you're officially obsessed.
--
Join Isha's SB, the Shadows!
And mine, Lament of Innocence!
And LDR's, Dark Fey!
And- ok, I'm going to shut up now.
:D

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon May 17, 2010 2:06 am
Octave says...

Isaac Vanderbilt - Medical Ward, 10:20 AM

Isaac stirred, and opened his eyes by a tiny bit. The light burned into them and Isaac squeezed his eyes shut. His head felt sore - a feeling that was vaguely familiar, an old friend he hadn't seen in years. So he turned his head, burying his face in the pillow, and he opened his eyes. Darkness. That didn't hurt.

His hand fumbled with the bedside table. Several things smashed in to the ground as he looked for the light adjustment knob that ought to be there. He just prayed nothing flammable had spilled onto the ground, and that none of the things that fell to the floor was the last vial of some important medicine he would need to recover.

Finally he found the knob, cool metal under his fingers, and he turned it until the lights were barely there. His skin seemed to glow in the dim light of the room. Almost as if he was a ghost. Isaac almost laughed at his own morbid joke. A ghost. Isaac would have truly been a ghost if Roan hadn't woken up.

Was it even Roan who dragged him here? Isaac didn't know. He hoped Roan wasn't hurt, though. Isaac's fists clenched, crumpling his blanket. He must look stupid now, in a green medical gown and with bandages acting as a sort of sash.

Stupid. Mother would be so furious. He remembered way back when he was a little kid living on Earth, and Mother would dress him up in beautiful clothes and nothing else, and how she was insisted in her cold way that she be allowed to dress Isaac as she wanted to even when he was in the hospital. And when they didn't allow it, she brought the doctors and nurses to their house.

A small smile lingered on Isaac's lips. He must be high to be thinking of these things. He didn't think much of Mother these days. Last he heard, a mutated cancer was spreading through her body. His father was spending millions to get her cured, although apparently it wasn't enough. Cancer alpha was the new cancer, unstoppable.

He hoped she was all right. Hoped she would hold out until he could come back home and hold her hand, tell her stories about how other girls neglected to wear the right clothes and hear her laugh again.

A soft step in the dim light, leather shoes on metal floor. Was it a nurse or a doctor coming to check up on him?

Or was it the murderer, coming back for a second try?

Isaac shrank deeper into his blanket, electrifying jolts of fear running up and down his spine. Crawling through his skin. "Doctor?" He ought to be braver now. He was second-in-command now, not third. He couldn't keep hiding behind Roan anymore.

No reply. Just more footsteps heading towards him. Isaac swallowed. His hand wandered to the bedside table again, searching for something he could use. Nothing but the cold light adjustment knob met his fingers. Damn. He shouldn't have allowed everything to fall on the floor like so. Without lifting his eyes off the darkness in front of him, Isaac's hand swooped to the floor and grabbed a shard of broken glass. It was better than nothing.

"As your commander, I order you to identify yourself." Well. That came out right. He actually sounded authoritative. Already Isaac could see the vague silhouette of a man in front of him. "Identify yourself!" Isaac barked. His hand tightened around the glass shard, which cut into his palm.

"Relax, kid. It's me, Roan." And the intruder stepped into the dim light, where Isaac could truly see him, and it really was Roan. "Feeling uptight, eh?"

Isaac tensed again. This wasn't Roan. There was something...off. Especially about Roan calling him kid. The only nickname Roan ever coined for Isaac was "Prophet", and variations thereof.

"Sort of." Isaac didn't dare close his eyes entirely, but he did drop back down onto the bed as if he was tired. He let out a sigh and pretended to close his eyes. "I think I'm going back to sleep."

Roan's hand skirted over the bandage covering Isaac's wound. Suddenly, Roan applied pressure - heavy pressure, which caused the blond to yelp in pain and shrink away. "What the hell, Roan?!"

No response. Roan only picked up the glass shard which was on the floor beside Isaac's bed and approached Isaac. A rather grim smile was on Roan's face, and Isaac knew something was wrong. Incredibly so.

"Roan - what are you doing? Stay away. Roan? Roan?!"

The glass shard came down and Isaac instinctively held up his left arm to cover himself from the attack. It dug into his arm, but Roan pulled it out. Isaac cradled his arm, cursing himself for saving Roan in the first place. But was this really Roan? Isaac wasn't so sure anymore.

Just as the shard would have come down for a second time, footsteps echoed into the ward again. Roan looked distracted for the merest moment. Then he turned to face Isaac, and Isaac glimpsed Captain Riggs again.

A...ghost? What the fuck...

And just like that Roan retreated into the darkness and Isaac turned the light so bright it almost hurt his eyes, but Roan - or was it Riggs? - was gone. That didn't stop Isaac's heart from racing, though. Blood still pounded in his head.

"Commander? Are you all right? I thought I heard you scream." The nurse's uniform was askew and her hand gripped a gun so tightly its knuckles were white.

Isaac looked around, in a daze. Almost immediately he regretted having using his left arm to defend himself. Now he wouldn't be able to write in his worry notebook.

"I-I got hurt," Isaac said. The nurse blinked and walked around the room, gun held up and pointed in front of her. After she was satisfied, she put the gun back in its holster and approached her patient. She gasped at the wound. "What happened?"

"I -I think I saw a gho -"

"Vanderbilt! Are you -"

"All right? Yeah, I am." Isaac shifted uneasily on his bed and tried to regard Roan without suspicion, but it wasn't the same after seeing Roan trying to kill him. Wasn't the same after Roan arrived so suspiciously on time, right after the nurse finished checking the room.

Was it really Riggs' ghost, or was it Roan trying to cover up after failing to kill Isaac?
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

121 Reviews

Mon May 17, 2010 4:14 am
PhoenixBishop says...

Elle~ Her Office~ 12:20pm

As expected my day was filled with seeing people that cried over our former Captain. I wanted to slap half of them for their hypocrisy, these were the same people that talked about him behind his back and now they had the nerve to come in my office and lament about what a great man he was. I never liked the man and I wasn’t going to fake it now.

Despite my feeling towards my two faced clients I remained silent and doodled on my pad. I only looked up and nodded from time to time to make it seem like I was listening. I could be listening to serious cases like Isaacs.

I suppose I got my wish, after my string of sob stories I was requested by Isaac to see him in the medical ward. So I left my room and went in and out to make sure the lights went out.

I was still shaken up from seeing the dead engineer. I wasn’t sure if I was in the frame of mind to handle Isaac but I was worried about him so I went down towards the medical ward on the way I bumped into a distracted Logan.

He still looked distant as he apologized.

I knew very little about Logan. He had never come to my office, unlike 80% of the ships population at least once. Nothing seemed to bother him and thus he never needed my services but now just by looking at him I could tell something was off.

“Logan, are you ok?” I asked thinking I could take a few minutes before I went to Isaacs.

He looked at me and smiled. I knew from gossip that some of the girls liked him and his smile was one of his more desirable traits. I guess I could see why, he had an aura of innocence around him that made you want to coo and pinch his cheeks. Not my type of course.

“I’m fine it’s just I'm bogged down with work and I think I have a crush on…” he trailed off and did that annoying nervous laugh of his. One of the reason he wasn’t my type.

“Well as for the work, just make sure you rest and remember to delegate. You don’t have to do everything. As for the crush, well you can’t gain anything if you don’t try.” I patted him on the shoulder. “If you need further advice, come to my office. Right now I have an appointment to go to.”

He nodded “I think I’m going to go to the bar and think.”

I left him and made my way to the medical ward.

Isaac was lying in a bed staring up at the ceiling.

“You rang,” I said while pulling a chair up to his bed.

“I need to tell you something,” he said without looking at me.

“Of course,” I said.

“I was asleep and then I woke up.”

“Yes,” I said.

“When I woke up Roan was there but it wasn’t Roan.”

“Ok,”

“Then Roan started to hurt me,” Isaac said.“He started to cut me and then I saw Captain Riggs,”

“The Captain was there too?”

“No he was Roan. Or Roan was him.”

“I see,” I said.

“And then he just disappeared like a ghost.”

I looked down at Isaac trying to think about what to say.

“It’s been awhile since you called for me. Have you seen this apparition since?”

He shook his head.

"Either I saw a ghost or Roan tried to kill me. I’m not sure which.”

“Think logically Isaac. Humans cannot appear in and out of a room. I assure you it wasn’t Roan.”

“So it was a ghost,” he asked.

“I didn’t say that. I’m merely pointing out what it could not be. I don’t believe in ghosts and I believe this vision was merely your mind playing tricks on you.” I said while undoing my ponytail.

I had a feeling this could be a long session.
Last edited by PhoenixBishop on Sat May 22, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Death~

Reviews: 0
Mon May 17, 2010 7:23 am
Visionaire says...

Name: Dr. Marmalade "Marley" Beauregard

Job: Head scientist and analyst for extra-terrestrial matter. She specializes in the study of 'dark matter,' or the state of a substance between subatomic solidity and liquidity. This substance is extremely valuable and proves as the perfect fuel for the light-speed engines aboard the Demeter.

Description: You know that girl you meet in high school who gives off an aura that overwhelms you? That choking feeling she gives off is her success and potential energy. The girl who was drop-dead gorgeous, but still smarter than the president? Marmalade Beauregard was that girl. With black hair, hazel-red eyes and an IQ that makes the national deficit look childish, Marley has it all. But she's modest, and will only flaunt what talent is needed to complete a task. That is, unless she's trying to impress.

Height: 5'11"

Appearance: Between the short-cropped hair and slender figure, no one would give a second guess that this woman had brains. And if her thick-rimmed glasses, clipped fingernails and pale skin didn't give it away, her wordplay certainly would. Her OCD for appearance and orderliness keeps everything about her--from lab coat to almost-invisible lipstick in perfect proportion. She believes that everything is best in small portions, so she dresses herself accordingly.

History: Marley was born in the deep south in the USA of Earth. Her mama and daddy raised her to be a fine catch for any man with wealth and a promising future in business. But Marley wanted more. Sure, she loved flirting with the boys at the local university, but she didn't know what she wanted to live for until she fell in love. And fall in love, she did.

His name was Johnathan Tanner, and he was the newest, handsomest, most promising cock of the walk on the university highway. Marley found herself thinking night and day about Johnathan and how to get her hands on his heart. She found out he was into space travel and loved the promise of a greater future beyond Earth.

So that's when she decided: Marley, you're goin' to space!

Luckily, this decision came right before graduation, in which she graduated as valedictorian of her class with four degrees in science and engineering. Being the rational lass she was and is, Marley waited what little time it would take to get her Doctorate Degree in Bio-Chem. She always was a smart one!

After her collegiate graduation, she took a job for a government office, analyzing 'space matter' for any sign of alien life nearby. Imagine her surprise when she found herself in the center of a major scientific discovery: Dark Matter.

She made her incredible fortune selling her research on Dark Matter, along with auctioning off samples of Dark Matter for just a bit over $4,000,000 per milligram.

Needless to say, Marley was a major driving force behind the initiative to quell the raging wars among the stars.

Once the fleet distributed scientists and captains and fighters and medics, the world leaders chose Dr. Beauregard as the head scientist of one of the lesser ships (to keep a decent cover up). Her job was to continue her frozen research on Dark Matter and learn what makes the universe tick.

So when the Demeter launched, Marley was on board, working her fingers to the bone in the labs. Her subordinates were hard at work following her commands, but all work and study suddenly halted when a thunderous roar and a blast shook the floor. Sure, there were a few panicked screams, a few vials of acid knocked over, and a few minor cuts, but nothing a trip to the infirmary couldn't fix.

But Marley paid little attention to the most pressing matter at hand that, regretfully, not even the new captain had noticed. At least, that's what she thought. Marley wasted no time continuing her research, even though the word passed around that Riggs was dead... and she found herself retching into the lab toilet every now and then.

But two days had passed, and Marley assured herself that things would become well again.

Little did she know, her assurance was a grave miscalculation.

So, in the name of her research and for the chance of harvesting fresh Dark Matter, Marley entered the Flight Deck at 10:30 AM one day after the ship had stopped...

Dr. Marley Beauregard - The Flight Deck - Day 2; 10:40AM

The canister, the one in her hands, it would be the key to survival; of that she was sure. Whether that survival would be on Earth or lost deep in the void of space, Marley had a mission to accomplish. And that mission did not include dying. She nervously tied and re-tied the belt-sash on her lab coat, twisting the canister awkwardly around her hands as she fidgeted. But no, her nerves would not get the best of her.

Not in front of The Captain, not in front of the pilots; she would be calm. So when she saw McQuinn heading briskly to his fighter, she stopped him in his tracks, taking a moment to compose herself, which gave him just enough time to size her up. "Pilot McQuinn?" she asked, her head turned up just slightly enough so that she could see him clearly through her glasses.

"Aye, miss?" His brogue took her off-guard. All of her associates had teased her about having such a thick southern accent, but she had never heard anything like this before.

"I have something for you, for your mission..." She held up the canister in her hands, following the cylinder with her fiery hazel eyes. When she looked up to see McQuinn's face again, she frowned. "Pilot? Are you alright?"

"Aye, Doctor, but I'm a bit confused as to what you want me to do with this?" He chuckled, taking the canister into his palm. "What, do you want a sperm sample 'r something like that?"

She reached out, snatching the cylinder back from his hands swiftly, her eyes burning holes in his temples. Speechless, she stood and gawked at him. Surely, this pilot had to be kidding. Surely, he had to be teasing her.

"If you'd give me a chance to explain myself, pilot..." She recomposed herself, shuffling her feet before standing up straight and properly, raising the canister to eye-level. "This canister is a magnet of sorts," she began, pointing at the polarity marks on the ends. "I've designed it myself to draw in matter from the void around you."

He chuckled, taking the canister back from her. "Ya, you want an alien sperm sample..." He chuckled and tossed the canister up, only to have Marley snatch it back, mid-air.

"Pilot, please!"

He sighed and put his flight gear down on the floor, crossing his arms. He was tired of waiting, clearly, but her mission was important!

"This gathers dark matter from space without you having to do anything at all." She nodded, pointing to the plus-mark on the top. "Just install this in place of one of your guns and all the work'll be do-..."

He hushed her, grabbing the canister and heading swiftly for his fighter. She crossed her arms, letting out three long, drawn-out sighs. He wouldn't know how to use the device and he'd botch up her mission.

But not all was lost. There would be other pilots. Other missions.

Please clear the flight deck. Launch in T-minus 300 seconds.

Marley grumbled to herself and re-tied her sash, hurrying off to the area behind the thick layer of glass-- the viewing platform. I'm surprised anyone trusts glass around here anymore she thought, peering around at the others in the viewing room. The new captain was there, and the translator, she remembered from the briefing just before the launch. She wormed her way through the lesser pilots and stood beside the captain and his translator, standing proudly as the fighters ignited their engines.

"You know," the captain said, looking over to his friend, "it surprises me that anyone on this station trusts this glass anymore."

The translator gave off a chuckle and shook his head, knocking on the thick material. "If anyone should be afraid of the stuff, it should be you."

Marley thought to herself for a moment, watching the first pilot-- the female-- take off. Her departure was slow at first, but once her takeoff gear left the deck, her jets kicked in and she soared off into the abyss. The male pilot ignited his engine shortly after, but didn't follow the same procedure.

"What's he doing...?" the captain asked no one particular, his eyes widening in disbelief.

"I... I don't know, Roan." His assistant placed a hand against the glass, his breath fogging the view. The pilot kicked in his engines and released a blinding flash of white fire that filled the launch pad and licked at the glass in front of everyone.

Marley stepped back, throwing up an arm to cover her eyes. When she looked back, the fighter was gone, and probably with any hopes of her research returning.

Her ears perked up at the captain's final comment.

"You know, Isaac gave these two a fourteen-percent success probability in his notebook..."

121 Reviews

Tue May 18, 2010 1:48 am
PhoenixBishop says...

Logan~Hallway~12:22pm

Long after I watched to two fighters leave I decided to walk around the ship. During my walk I bumped into Elle briefly and she told me to take it easy. I wanted to tell her the same since she looked dead tired but I kept my mouth shut. She didn’t seem to be in the mood to have her own medicine thrown back at her. So I parted ways with her and headed to the bar.

I didn’t go to the bar much. I didn’t drink so I never saw the point. But for some reason I didn’t want to be alone, or with Roan for that matter. The idle chatter that floated on the air calmed me.

The bar owner came to take my order. Being as that I never came here regularly I had no clue what his name was. I only knew he was the owner because I had heard that the owner was a male and right now all I saw were women staff and him. So my assessment seemed to be a logical one.

“What can I get you,” he asked.

“Umm I looked at the list of drinks. Mountain Dew please.”

He nodded and quickly gave me a glass filed with soda.

“You don’t drink?” he asked.

“I shook my head. My mother was a drunk. So I avoid the stuff,” I gave the various bottles a dirty glance as if they had bit me.

He nodded.

“I like the sober ones better anyway. They don’t break stuff.”

I smiled. If I got any more stressed out I might be breaking stuff too. I banished the idea. Then this nice man would have to clean it up. I suppose I could break my own stuff. I had a rather ugly turtle figurine that I could break.

I took a sip of the Dew and handed him my money. I was drummed my fingers across the counter and went off to sit at one of the table. That’s when I noticed one of the fighter pilots I had gotten into a tussle. His drunken eyes found me and he stumbled over.

I smiled at him hoping to defuse the situation but that didn’t work last time so I prepared to dodge his drunken attack.

“You know I have the authority to lock you up?” I said.

“Is alien boy not so tough when Pussy ain’t around?” He lunged forwards and I jumped to the side so he punched my table.
I prepared myself to move out of the way again but the bar owner had the pilot in a head lock. “I suggest you get out of here,” and he shoved the drunken man out the door. The bartender helped me to my feet by hoisting me up by the hand.

“Thanks,” I said.

I looked down mournfully at my Mountain Dew.

“I’ll get you another, no charge,” he said.
Last edited by PhoenixBishop on Tue May 18, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Death~

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
— Martin Luther King Jr.