z

Young Writers Society

Journey Into the North Discussion Thread (Old 4T thread)

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:20 am
Ego says...

It would work--especially with Rio's backing.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

375 Reviews

Reviews: 375
Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:28 am
Dargquon Ql'deleodna says...

Huge open brainstorming session, we thought we should share it, so here it is:
ChatLounge/save.php?id=affa11dbdb8776eb13fbb7287a2bf7ce&font=Arial&size=13
Life's a B*tch, slap it upside the head.

Dargquon Ql'deleodna: (n) "Dar-qu-on Kel-del-ode-na" something i made up that sounded cool, partially based off of the Drow Drizzt Do'Urden's name style

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:24 pm
Fand says...

...maybe it's just me, but that link doesn't work. At all. :lol:
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:52 pm
sabradan says...

same for me.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

576 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:55 pm
Ego says...

Meh--you're right.

Which is a very large bummer, because there were some really good ideas, there. Damnation.

DQ, Jenna, Grif and I were all in chat last night, and we began to discuss ways that we might make this next part of the storybook more exciting.

This is the general jist of it--

The battle we are in right now is just a skirmish. The priests were having trouble opening the doors to the First Wizard's Mausoleum. We kill them, and have to find a way to open the door (Henry's Blade is the key, and it reacts when the sword is presented near the door).

Once inside, stairs lead down and into a crypt. which is filled with traps and baddies.

At the end of the catacombs is another door. This one requires more than a simple key. It requires a phrase, as well. This phrase was taught to Becky by her mother, as a lullaby. w00t.

Once the door is opened, and the tomb retrieved, however, the group is ambushed by the High Priest of Bane and his most powerful priests--we were set up. The priests and elves at the surface were merely bait to get us to open the doors and clear the path for them.

If they slaughter us with their magic, the Tome is likely to be destroyed. If we attack them, we're likely to be killed. So it's a stalemate. Then the Harbingers show up, and demand our unconditional surrender. We do so, because now the odds are distinctly against us.

But, as it turns out, the Harbingers are loyal to the crown, not the council that killed the king and queen. Which means loyal to Valin. They turn against the priests, killing all but the High Priest, who manages to escape with the book.

The party leaves in hot pursuit, alongside the harbingers.

When they reach the surface, they see the High Priest standing in front of them, a grin on his face. A portal stands open behind him, and even as the group watches, a clawed and reaches through and a Demon of Bane steps through the portal, followed by another. And another. Soon, there are a score of the things.

The battle is hard, and many of the harbingers are killed while defending Valin and his companions. In the end, though, the demons are killed, and the High Priest is shot through the heart by Henry, or one of the other bow-wielders. He falls into the portal, which, no longer linked to the material plane, collapses in upon itself.

But he dropped the book before he fell in. The party has reclaimed it! w00t!

News of the harbinger's betrayal spreads quickly, and OH IDEA. What if the Harbingers are the ones to execute the elves that betrayed Valin's Parents? Then they could spread the word to the elven kingdom that they've been duped by the priests, and that Valin will return to reclaim the throne soon!...or something. Anyway, thats was off track a little.

Alden flies off to tell Harris that we have the book. We get a little downtime while we're waiting for his return. When he does, we're informed that we are to return to Harris immediately. We do so. From there, there were a few ideas floating around the chat. Maybe we're ambushed on the way back? Maybe HARRIS takes the book and leaves some of her men to try and kill the group?

Anyway. That's what the chat was about...how does that look to everyone? Please comment ASAP, as we're in the fight that will set the whole thing in motion if it's approved.

ALSO, a NOTE: We need opinions on whether a or not an election should be madew to determine a leader of the storybook. Please respond to this question, if nothing else.
Got YWS? I do.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:34 pm
Firestarter says...

I do actually like that idea :)

Anyway, Grif -- I'd just like to apologise for attacking you. It's not all your fault, just some things you have done/said in the past have irritated me, but it's not all you and it was out of line for me to say all those things. I keep my opinions, but I realise it's also my fault for not trying hard enough to contribute. I'm the sort of person that prefers someone to come to me and say, "Hey, Jack, do you wanna help with this plot idea?" rather than go ahead myself and think of something -- that's just who I am. I'm not usually that confident so I do better when someone expresses confidence in me, I can work off that.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:25 pm
Jennafina says...

About Becky's lulluby phrase, she doesn't know it's magic, she just thinks it's a song. I don't know why she'd randomly start singing it.

Maybe someone could be injured and she could sing it to try and calm them? (Or herself?)

Harris trying to take the book would be cool.

About the election, I don't really like the idea. It seems like they'd get a lot of hassle, and might be blamed for any problems. We could all just try to post in the discussion thread more, or have JiN discussion chats on a schedule. That's just my opinion, though. :)
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

147 Reviews

Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:58 pm
sabradan says...

I like it. And agree with Jenna and Jack.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:10 pm
Bobo says...

Two words: Boo Yah.

Dono, I couldn't think of a better way to say it, so I stole your catch phrase lol. Sounds awesome!

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:30 am
Jennafina says...

I was just talking with Sieg andn Grif in the chatroom, and here's some of what discussed. What do you think?

Valin could have some trouble getting on the throne. There could be a task he has to complete that wouldn't be easy, like retrieving the tome. The tome could be necessary, because the reason elves are immortal is because they give birth magically. They had a stockpile of arcane magic, but it's gone, so the elves have become sterile. That way, Valin would have to hurry.

Alden could not really be gone. He could come back on a divine mission.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:19 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

That is, he would kind of execute what I like to call the "Gandalf Maneuver" in which he appears to die, only to come back later.

In the meantime, I'm going to post Becky and Alden arriving at the cemetery in the middle of intense fighting.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

147 Reviews

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:34 pm
sabradan says...

I dont like the whole "Elves give birth magically and thus are sterile" thing. Elves give birth normally. They have both genders, thus reproduce as any other species does.

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

576 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:24 am
Ego says...

That particular decision should be ebtween Dan and whoever, I think :) Let us know what you decide :)

Ok, a battle update.

9/12 elves are down. (Henry killed 2, Henry and Valin killed 4, then Henry and Valin killed 2 in melee)

Valin is engaged with 1, as are Cyrus and Carmenia,each with one opponent.

3/6 Priests are down. (Seraph, Finn, and Urakii with a kill each)

I figure Becky and Alden will kill a Priest each, and Sirloaz will get teh final kill.

Feel free to end the fight, guys--it's only a minor battle anyway.

Sound good to everyone?
Got YWS? I do.

Random avatar

Reviews: 82
Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:07 pm
misspriss says...

Fine with me. I'm going to try and finally post!

Random avatar

Reviews: 82
Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:59 pm
misspriss says...

*starts to breath hard*

Oh. Oh! OH! OHHHH! OOOHHHHHH!

*breaks down into tears*

My stupid, stupid computer! I had the best, largest, most wonderful post, finished, when my computer screwed up.

*getting hysterical now*

I want to curse! And curse! And curse!

But I won't. OH MY GOSH! I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!

I can't even remember what the beginning was about...

CRAAAAAPPPPPPPP!!!!!!

*shaky sob*

Okay. Okay. I'm afraid I don't have the mental capacity to post right now...

But I will...someday...

If food is poetry, is not poetry also food?
— Joyce Carol Oates