z

Young Writers Society

Journey Into the North

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:07 am
sabradan says...

Valin lay awake on his bunk in the officers quarters, although he pretended to sleep. He say Carmenia enter--he also knew where she came from and what had happened, as he had followed her. Due in part to boredom, in part to mistrust, and in part...some reason he couldn't put his finger on. Either way, he heard the conversation between her and this Rio, and what he was asking her to do. He had also gotten back to the bunks before she had.

Now he heard her giving some lame excuse to Finn about some comb or something or other. She was a bad liar, but Finn seemed to buy it. Valin, still not completely tired, layed awake, watching the others, especially Carmenia, who after sometime, roused herself and walked out of the bunks again.

Valin let his training kick in after that, throwing on his cloaks, waiting a minute or so, and left the bunks, following her blending into the shadows of the night. Carmenia walked over to the dying fire, and prodded it with a stick, blowing onto it, making the glowing embers kick up and have flames jump back to life. She threw a few more logs onto the fire, so that the fire would maintain its size. It seemed as if something was troubling Carmenia, as if she was tormented by inner thoughts, or in someway just engulfed in her own thoughts, as she just sat there, on the rocks and stared at the fire.
Valin saw a moment of opportunity, and silently moved next to her, sat down on a rock, and removed his hood, allowing himself to be seen to her.

"You know that I know what you were doing a little bit ago," Valin said, matter-of-factly.
"No, I didn't know that," Carmenia replied, her tone matching his.
"Are you going to do as Rio asks?" Valin asked her.
"I'm not sure," she said. "He makes a lot of sense, but yet, this group has become the closest thing to freinds I've had in a long time--I don't want to do anything to hurt you guys," she said.
"Well, I will say this to you Carmenia: I am doing all in my power to not have to fight our people. As you can probably guess, killing Elves is not a good way to get back on the throne," Valin said, chuckling slightly.
"Yeah, that would probably not be good," Carmenia said. She continued, saying,
"So what do you plan to do?"
"Alden, Seraph and I will be going to the Elven camp in two days' time to try to negotiate a truce. This has three purposes: The first, to try and stop this oncoming war, the second, to show them that the King has returned, and the third is to attempt to turn at least some of them to my, or our, side, even if the entire army doesn't go for it," Valin said.
"Sounds like a good plan," Carmenia said. "I hope it works"
Valin just mumbled some kind of indestinguishable affirmative grunt.
"Besides, Rio doesn't know the first thing about treason," Valin said.
"What, what do you mean?" Carmenia asked, slightly annoyed.
"I mean, Rio would be the first person to accuse others treason, although he should be the last person to do so, seeing as he was involved in an act of high treason, just like...well, like...." Valin paused, not wanting to finish the sentence.
"Like WHO, Valin?!" Carmenia demanded, visibly and audibly perterbed.
"Like your PARENTS, thats who, Carmenia," Valin said, forcefully.
"You are a LIAR, Valin Norovir!" Carmenia said, raising her voice slightly. "You have no proof of that!" Her voice steadily raising.
"I have all the proof I need, Carmenia. Your parents were inner sanctum members of the council, and as such were masterminds in planning, if not excecuting, the murder of my parents," Valin said, his voice level and even, but with enough force to carry the authority of his title.
"You are a liar, Valin! You have no proof!" Carmenia said, fully yelling now. "Furhtermore, you are the most arrogant, stuck-up, unproven bastard I have ever met! You keep claiming to be a prince, and the heir of our people, but how can I be sure you aren't just some brigand and a con artist working a job?" She called, her voice sure to wake the others any moment now.

Valin, intent on making sure the entire camp didn't overhear their conversation silenced her the best way he knew how. He quickly moved his hand over her mouth, muffling her yelling.

"Carmenia, shhh. I will show you all the proof of my lineage you will ever need, if only you be quiet so we don't wake the entire camp. Do you promise to stop screaming?" Valin asked in a clearly perturbed tone. Carmenia spoke a muffled "uh huh" through Valins fingers, and he let her go. Before she could resume her ranting, he spoke, saying,
"Now, Carmenia, I will show you all you need to see as my proof of lineage," he said, matter-of-factly.

Silently, and very slowly, Valin reached into his multiple cloaks and layers of other somewhat shabby clothing, to withdraw a magnificent, shining medalion attached to a long chain. Both of which were made of Elven Ever-Silver, the most precious, long lasting, brightest precious metal in existence. The medallion was a long tear-dropped shape, inlaid with precious stones, and in the very center, a tiny vial that contained water said to be from the very shores of the "First Land" where the Elves first dwelt in the dawn of creation. Ovverlaid above it was the Elven runic symbol for their Patron Goddess, Isha, and around the edges in Elven proclaimed "The Norovir Family, Chosen of Isha, heirs, rulers, and Lords over all the Eldarion". This was the royal crest, so to speak. The only people permitted to wear this item was the King himself, and his heir. This was all the proof Carmenia needed. She just gasped, and mumbled, rather incoherently, before managing to speak one sentence:
"Is it...really....true...?" Before she fell to her knees in shock.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

Random avatar

Reviews: 82
Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:44 pm
misspriss says...

Valin is a prince. Her parents committed high treason. The truth hit Carmenia like a thunderbolt, and brought her to her knee's. She bowed her head.

"Thysoli ti, o eisi shai o mae o eisi." Forgive me, you are who you say you are.

Standing up, she touched the palm of her hand to her forehead, in sign of respect, and returned her bunk without another word. Her mind was in such a disarray, she decided it was better not say much at present. She wrapped the blanket closer around her shoulders, staring up at the crumbling ceiling, in deep thought.

So, Valin was truly a Prince, heir to the Elven throne. She wasn't sure if this was good or not. He had known so much, everything, really, including things she herself did not know.

Her parents were involved in treason...she could not fathom the thought, it was too much to think about. She let her mind skip to something else. Rio.

He was indeed, a very handsome elf, but when she had met him last night, his character seemed shallow and cruel. Nothing at like Henry, who, though not nearly as handsome as Rio, was very good-looking for a male human.

But it was Henry's kindness that had attracted her, and no matter how many walls she built around her heart, the mere glimpse of him brought them all crashing down.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:47 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

When Alden left Valin, he was about as confused as when he first found him. Why did he want him to go South? That was back the way they came.

Scout the camps again? To what point? Alden had all ready told Harris the elves were going to march.

Alden walked by a bunch of instructors, who were trying to be agile in full armor, and were failing miserably.

"What the heck is going on here!" Alden demanded.

"We're practicing being more spontaneous, sir."

"Stop this immediately. Who told you to do this?"

"Prince Valin, sir. He told us that elves fight in a less regimented style and that once they get into close quarters, they're lethal."

"That's how elves fight. When we fight the elves, we're going to have shields from our feet to our stomach, we're not going to be flying around the battlefield like Elvish warriors."

"But Elven agility!"

"Agility only works when you are engaging in close quarter combat. We're going to be engaging the elves at range. When an entire line of elves is coming at us, we're going to lock shields and launch a volley of arrows so thick, that the elves won't have any place to dodge out of the way. If you want to win wars, you fight as a team, not a loose group of screaming barbarians! Get back to your drills now, or you'll be digging trenches," Alden yelled.

"Alden?" Seraph said.

"What!"

"Take it easy, I just want to talk."

"I'm sorry. Valin's driving me nuts. First, he wants me to do another recon patrol, then he starts ordering Harris's men on how to fight like elves."

"What?"

"These men were practicing elvish tactics for which they're completely unsuited. First of all, they're going to be going out in about one hundred pounds of chain mail, a long shield, and a short sword. They don't have elvish armor or weaponry, so they're less agile. Not only that, but Valin wants them to charge into the enemy like barbarians, instead of as a battle line. Except they can't do that and if they were to do that, they would be attacking an army twice as big as them!"

"Calm down. Valin's not used to human armies. He can forget those sort of things."

"That's just it Seraph, if he's not used to human armies, then why the heck does he think he can command them! He may not like General Harris, but she knows how to fight the elves."

"Valin wants to lead elves into battle, it's how he knows to win. Go on the recon patrol and cool down, I'll go talk to Valin," Seraph said. Alden considered it and decided it made sense.

"I'm going to take Becky with me, perhaps I can teach her something constructive while I'm on patrol," Alden said.

"Good idea. We'll talk later," Seraph said.

Alden was still fuming, but the prospect of flying with some company made him look forward to patrol.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:58 pm
Jennafina says...

Becky Stillman

"I'm going to the Elven camp, to see what's happening."

"But sir, you said you'd teach me somthin' once I was done with this! How long will you be?" Becky added spices to the giant pot of stew she had been preparing. She and the griffin were in Harris's kitchen, where Becky had been for the better part of the evening, cooking dinner for the army crew.

"It smells nice. You're better at this than you are at chopping. What's that, though?"

"Pudding," said Becky testily. "It's supposed ta look like that. You didn' answer my question, sir."

"Not long, I think. We'll be gone two or three hours."

"But sir, that's too long ta wait! Can't ya jus' teach me a bit so I'd have somethin' to work on besides all these chores?" Becky frowned.

Then she froze, her hand hovering over the pot of stew, about to add a potato. Something horrible had occurred to her.

"What do ya mean, 'we'? Ow!" Becky pulled her singed hand back from the fire.

"You're coming too. Finish up, then go fetch your sword. You can bring some of this, if you like."

"Sir," Becky said, looking everywhere but at the griffin. "Sir, I can't."

The thought of walking along side of him, alone, for a day and a half made her blood run cold and her palms start to sweat. They'd find her carcass full of claw marks and her insides ripped out and eaten, and no-one would mind. Not Adrian, not Finn, not nobody.

"That's alright then, you can eat when we get back. Be ready in an hour!" He started to walk away.

"No," Becky cried. "I can't do it!"

The griffin turned to look at her. "Are you serious about avenging your parents, Stillman?"

"Yes, sir."

"Then you can, and you must. Be ready in an hour."

---

"We'll be going a long way, so you should get on my back."

Becky paled. "That's alrigh', sir. I don't mind a bit of a walk."

"Stillman," Alden said.

"Yes, sir?"

"Remember the part of this arrangement where you do as I say?"

"I- er-yes, sir, but-"

"Good. You can hold on to my flying harness." The griffin crouched down in front of her and folded his wings. Hesitantly, Becky took a step closer.

Becky was frustrated. Fear was slowing her down, keeping her from growing stronger. She had to do this, if not, she might as well have been burned to a crisp. Becky grabbed the leather harness, and in one motion, hoisted herself up onto Alden's back. His feathers were softer than she would have expected, and quite comfortable, but she didn't feel solid, as if she was about to slide off.

"But I don' know how t' stay on, sir! Is it like ridin' a horse?"

Slowly, he turned his head to look back at her. She took in his curved beak, feathered crest, and glaring eyes.

Becky cringed. "No, no, not like a horse, sorry sir! Well, that's good, en't it, I don't much like horses neither!"

Alden extended his wings. They were gigantic, at least ten feet across from tip to tip.

"Wait! Wait, I thought we were walking!"

In answer to that, Alden bounded forward, then leaped into the air. Becky's stomach dropped. With a few flaps of his great wings, they were clear of the treetops, looking down on Harris's camp. She was jostled between his wings, clinging to his harness ton avoid sliding off his feathers.

"Could you please stop that? It's hurting my ears."

Becky hadn't realized she'd been screaming. She closed her mouth and hunkered closer to Alden, trying not to look at the tiny camp below her. Tents turned to playing cards, trees to green marbles. It was like a toy box had been spilled.

"It's nice weather for flying!" Alden called, over the wind.

Becky wondered what bad weather looked like, and turned her eyes to the horizon. The griffin spread out his wings and glided, coasting on the air, and suddenly, like a curtain being parted, Becky's fell went away and she saw the world stretching in front of her.

It was amazing. In the distance, mountains jutted into clouds. The sea was far away to one side, vast and glittering in the twilight. Her heart was beating in time with the griffin's wings. Becky felt herself smile, then she laughed. She sat up, letting the wind run through her hair.

"Enjoying yourself?"

"Yes!" Becky said. She meant it. "It's like I can do anythin'. Anythin' I want, an' not nobody can stop us 'cause we're up here, above 'em all."

"That's flying."

Soon, the sun set and they were speeding through almost complete darkness.

"It's the Elves' camp. Don't get bored now," Alden said. "We're going a bit closer." He folded his wings and dropped.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:50 pm
Firestarter says...

Henry had spent the morning waiting impatiently. Soon, soon, everybody kept saying. Soon we will do something. For hours Henry had sat around, practised with his crossbow, joined in some sword training with the army: anything to keep him from being bored. He wanted to get out and revenge the bastards that destroyed Sedgeley.

Running his hands through his hair, he sighed. He wasn't sure if he could take much more of this waiting. His fingers constantly moved to his crossbow unconsciously.

"Henry?" a deep voice called. He recognised it as Seraph's and stood up, seeing the tall warrior looking for him.

"What?" he asked with a bored tone. He would probably be asking if he wanted some food, or something mundane like that.

"Just to let you know -- we're staying the night here. Alden and the new girl are off on a recon mission, and Valin wants us to stay at the camp so he can prepare for negotiations with the Elves."

Henry felt the heat burn in his cheeks. "Negotiations?? What sorta rubbish is this?"

"Valin wants to talk to the Elves. Prevent bloodshed," Seraph answered clamly, ignoring Henry's outburst.

"Blood 'as already bin spilt, whether 'e likes it or not," Henry fumed. He pointed towards the ruins of Sedgeley. "There. There. That's where they died, and I don't give a frog's arse whether Valin don't wanna kill some Elves, 'cos I do. I wanna watch them suffer, Seraph, like the whole of that village. I wanna see them scream."

"Please," Seraph said. "Calm down, Henry. There will be time for revenge. Later."

"Later! Later!" Henry shouted. "It's always fucking later! Valin can do his own thing. You lot can do your own thing. I got other priorities, m'lord."

"What are you saying?"

The blood was boiling now, his cheeks on fire, his senses left him. "If you lot aren't prepared to do what's neccesary to 'elp, then I'm goin'." He paused. "Yeah, I'm goin'. You 'eard me. I can't sit around 'ere while those bastards roam the woods. 'Oo knows 'oo they'll kill next? An' all we do is sit around. Fat lot of good that'll do."

"Henry." Seraph said quietly. "Henry, this is no time for rash actions."

"This is exactly the time for rash actions!" Henry shouted at him, grabbing his backpack up from where it had been lying on the floor. He made sure his sword and crossbow were securely attached to his belt. Brushing past Seraph, he aimed for his horse that still had Sirloaz's blades and bow on it. He tore them off and threw them on the floor. "I've 'ad enough," he added, turning back to look at Seraph, who made no real effort to stop him. He just looked sad. "I 'ated you at first, y'know. For what yer are. Tall and lawful and domineering. But now I realise you're not so bad. In fact, sometimes you can be a good man and that. I'm sorry, Seraph."

"Henry-"

"No," was all the thief replied, as he made his horse gallop forward.

"Henry!" shouted another voice, piercing and female.

He pulled back the reins and flicked his head back, seeing the confused figure of Carmenia watched him go. There was Cyrus too, looking sullen.

Taking a deep breath, he left for the exit. The guards didn't stop him. Instead, they were glad to open the doors for him. Without another look back, he rode into the distance.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:51 pm
Ego says...

I watched him go.

There was no point in trying to stop him, for doing so would only cause more resentment. Besides..he was right. There could be no room for negotiations, not after what the elves (...was it the elves?) did to Sedgeley.

I held my head high, and looked around the camp. I caught the eyes of most of my companions, and then finally the eyes of General Harris, who had happened to be walking by.

Nodding my head to her, I raised my hand high to call the camp's attention.

I took a deep breath, and, in my best voice of authority, bellowed, "We ride for the cemetary within the hour. Followers of General Harris: you are to accomadate my men in any way they ask. Upon our return, you will be compensated for any loss. Elites! Saddle up. There is death to be dealt."

With that, I let my arm fall to my side, and I set off at a brisk walk for the barracks to put on my armor. Finn ran up to me, more than a little confused.

"Seraph, what--"

"Come with me, Finn--I need you to help me with my armor," I said, taking her arm lightly and pulling her along.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

Random avatar

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:55 pm
misspriss says...

Placeholder. Am working on it now.

Random avatar

Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:23 pm
View Likes
misspriss says...

Carmenia stared, motionless, as the figure on the horse became a speck in the distance. He was leaving. Henry was leaving. He had left.

She just stood there. In her ears, the rumble of white noise reverberated, if someone was speaking, she could not hear it, if someone was moving or even touching her, she would not have felt it.

A gust of wind teased her inky black hair, the slender fingers of the breeze coaxing it from its usual spot where it hung down her back, but she did not tuck it into place. Her face was like stone, and chiseled there was grief, and hurt.

He hated Elves. He hated her. A single tear of liquid diamond slid down her pale cheek like ice on stone. Did she love him this much? No. The thought rebounded in her mind, like some booming echo. She did not love him. She would not love him. Her hand came up and carefully wiped any trace of the tear away.

She turned back to camp and watched as people hurriedly packed their things. We are leaving, she realized numbly. Mechanically, Carmenia went and started packing, putting the few Elvish items she had left, in the bag she had carried with her since the Goblin camp.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:49 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Alden dove towards the trees.

"By flying low, I minimize the time I'm seen. I'm exchanging altitude for stealth."

"Okay," Becky said. Five minutes went by in silence. Then, Alden said.

"All right, we should be approaching the camp. No screaming. I want you to look down, I need to keep my eyes on the trees. If you see any elves let me know."

Another five minutes passed.

"Do you see anything?"

"Nope."

"I don't like it," Alden said. He took several strong strokes and gained altitude. He looked down. The elves had definitely been here, but they were gone. They might even be heading for the camp.

"Let's get back to camp. I have a bad feeling about this."

Alden flew high over several elvish columns, before landing in the camp. The attitude in the camp had changed. The men were more tense, the pages were all running with a purpose. Catapults were being set up and the recruits were being turned into men.

"It doesn't look good. Go back to the quarters, pack your things, and meet me at the gate."

He promptly went towards General Harris's HQ. The door was opened and Alden entered. Seraph and Valin were there as well.

"The elves are moving towards us, they mean to attack."

"My men have been reporting the presence of scouts, it's likely they'll attack within two days," General Harris looked at Seraph.

"You're sure this cemetery is of real importance?"

"Yes. It may be the key to the priesthood," Valin said.

"In that case, go quickly. We might be flanked by elves by nightfall. We'll try to hold them off as long as we can."

There was nothing more to say. Seraph, Valin, and Alden left.

"Is the group ready to go?" Alden asked.

"I sent them to pack the moment I got summoned, they should be ready," Seraph said.

"Good. Let's go." They approached the others.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:11 am
Ego says...

Sirloaz

The ranger followed Henry out of town on his own horse. The bastard still had his dagger, and his bow.

Sirloaz felt naked without his weapons. He knew he was good with his fists, but aginast Elven warriors, without any weapons, he'd be helpless. He made sure to keep a good distance between himself and the rogue, not wanting to startle the man into shooting him.

Soon, the wreckage of Sedgely was in sight. Sirloaz kept his gaze averted. He hated to see a waste of life, especially on that scale.

He spurred the chestnut mare on harder, wantig to pass the destruction as soon as possible. He let his mind drift a little, to what he would say to Henry when he caught up to the man.

He shook his head. Nothing came to mind that would possibly make Henry feel better.

Sirloaz hoped he could tihnk of something before Henery got himself killed.
Last edited by Ego on Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got YWS? I do.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:44 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Rio looked at the elves in front of him and shivered. There were twelve of them, a single one on his own would be able to defeat ten men simultaneously.

They were the Harbingers, the elite soldiers of the elves. All had war records, and all had a long list of classified activities as well. These warriors would be perfect for the mission.

"Harbingers of Tor Arcana, we face a dire point in the history of the elves. In no other time has our race been so close to annihilation, but yet so far from our goals. We need leaders to bring us closer to our goals and farther from our death, we need the Harbingers," Rio said.

"What is your command, Lord Rio."

"Are you familiar of the ex-Prince Valin Norovir?" Looking at the Harbingers was like looking at a wave of purple, every other surface was purple, save for the metal they carried.

"The Norovir's were the Kings of Old."

"He's leading a detachment, known as 'The Elites.' They're supposed to be a match for any foe, however large. They have not met a Harbinger before. I need you to take special care of these elites."

"Ask it, and I shall obey," the lead Harbinger said. Rio asked.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:42 pm
Ego says...

Seraph

I had been pulled away from getting ready by the reappearance of Alden, and the appearance of the little man named Urakii. After Alden's debriefing, I quickly excused myself and jogged back to the barracks to finish preparations.

I found already in the barracks, packing her things carefully, but quickly. I took a quick inventory. Henry's things were, of course, gone, as were Cyrus', Sirloaz's, Valin's, and Carmenia's. Adrian's pack still sat on his bed, as did his armor.

Walking past Finn for the moment, I unbelted my sword and laid it out on the cot. I snatched up my breastplate and threw it over my head, buckling the straps at my sides to secure it. I dontinued with my grieves and gauntlets, but needed additional help with my paldrons and backpiece.

"Finn," I grunted. "Help me with this."

She looked at me, her expression unreadable, and then walked to to me.

"Wha' d'you need?" she asked quietly.

"Put this on my back, and buckle these two straps to their place on the others already at my side. Then attach these two buckles--" I pointed out the two at the top of the back piece. "--to the places on my shoulders. Hurry--we don't have much time."

My voice was curt. Sharp.

I stood still as Finn gently buckled the piece in place.

"Tha' alrigh'?" she asked.

"I shifted slightly, and flexed my back and shoulders.

"It's fine," I said. I then tossed one of the paldrons to her. "These next. Put it here," I guided her hand to my shoulder. "And then buckle it under my arm. The same with the other one."

She did so tentatively.

In the mean time, I set to adjusting my gauntlets , and then reached down to grab my belt once more. Adjusting it slightly, I wrapped it over my shoulder to form a baldric, instead of the normal swordbelt. Reaching into my pack, which lay on the bed, I pulled forth a second belt to go about my waist. I transferred all my pouches to the waist belt.

Finn started on the second paldron, and finished more quickly. Then she stepped back.

"Anythin' else?" she asked.

I shook my head. "No. Just be ready to leave."

With that, I turned my back on her to finish repacking my things.
Got YWS? I do.

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:08 pm
Fand says...

I watched him go, jaw set and eyes narrowed. Be ready to leave? Just, be ready to leave? He grabbed me, dragged me in here, had me dress him, and then gave me an order like that? Was this the man I'd cried to not so long ago? ...Was this the man I'd woken up to?

I felt my cheeks burn with shame and indignant anger, and stalked the few steps to where I'd left my own things. A worn pack with the detritus of my life before leaving Sedgeley, a change of clothes, my daggers... I hefted it over my shoulder and tightened the strap securely. I grabbed my quarterstaff, running my fingers down from the cold metal head to the wood that warmed quickly beneath my touch. Be ready to leave.

Oh, I was ready to leave, all right. I drew myself up, hooking one thumb under the strap of my pack, and moved towards the door.

I stopped after a few steps, though. Sure, I was ready to leave -- sure, I had no reason to stay, especially not if I was going to have to put up with that sort of back-and-forth treatment. But where would I go?

I bit my lip, looking back over my shoulder at the bed I'd shared with Seraph. My cheeks heated again, both at the memory and the thought of his more recent treatment. No, I didn't have anywhere else to go at all... and waking up in his arms....

"Damn you, Seraph Belfas'," I muttered, stalking out of the barracks. What was he doing to me?
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:53 pm
Firestarter says...

Although it was suddenly strange to be alone again, stalking the woods as an individual, rather than moving as a group, Henry adapted quickly. For years he had worked alone, lived alone, fought alone. It had been simply enough to slip back into that routine.

He still missed the casual camaraderie, the jokes and the company. Even more he missed Carmenia, and the way she could calm him down at any point. But he wiped away these things from his mind and focused once more on his destination and his plan -- get to the cemetery and wipe every damn elf he set his eyes on. He'd snipe them from the bushes and the trees, everywhere.

There was a sound to his left. His head twisted urgently, and his crossbow was out before he realised it was in his hand, his other quickly loading the device until the bolt was locked in place.

Watching with eagle eyes, he studied the disturbed bush, the leaves still vibrating.

A hare darted out from them, bolting out across the path.

Without thinking, Henry fired his crossbow. The shot was perfect -- it took the animal in the head, killing it instantly. The thief sighed, knowing the death was a waste. But he knew inside that it was better to err on the side of caution, rather than risk ambush. Not willing to waste the death of the animal even more, he got down from the horse and scooped up the dead hare and secured it onto the horse's saddle. No point wasting a good meal, he thought.

He mounted once more and rode forward. To go kill.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:28 am
misspriss says...

Placeholder...I'm working on it now...

Writing is my soul made tangible on paper.
— bluewaterlily