z

Young Writers Society

Circus Outcast (Starting, but still accepting!)

Reviews: 0
Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:04 am
Undertaker says...

Ember; fire-bending

I woke up to the sun shining in my eyes though the tent canvas. Smiling I got up, opened the flap and looked outside. It was still kind of early but the sun was clearly out. Glancing around I noticed that some people were up getting ready for the big show tonight. Closing the tent flap, I decided that I should practice too. I changed into my practice clothes, which was just a black tank top and a pair of long shorts and stepped outside.

I grinned as the felt the heat of the sun automatically warm me up and the grass lightly sway around my bare feet. Opening them I started off to find a place to practice. Easily dodging the hustle and bustle, I found where they were putting up the tent (it looks like they just started). I stood and watched as Nick, the leader, made sure the tent was being put up right.

Suddenly I found the prefect place, it was sunny and there was nothing around it. Swiftly walking over I stood in the sunlight. As the heat hit my skin I felt the energy move. It traveled up my arms, down my legs and then to the ends of my fingertips. I started to gather it from everywhere, harnessing it in the palm of my hand. I concentrated on it and willed it to life, fire sprang to life in the palm of my hand. It took me a total of five seconds to do that.

I had been practicing for a while when a sudden presence appeared. Quickly glancing over I noticed that it was Mae. Smiling a little, I continued with my dance. It was not long before Nick came over and sat down. I waited for a little bit, then decided to take a quick break, walking over, I sat down with them.

((Sorry for the longness...^^')
"Show me a "first rate laugh"."

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:58 am
RedBird says...

Nick, teleportation,

Underneath Mae's uncertainty, I sense a deep sadness, full of unknowns. She's been through a lot, I can see that, and I want to help. I'm about to say as much, when Ember stops practicing and comes to join us. I'll talk with Mae later. I grin at Ember.

"Nice work. It always gets me, your act does," I say.

Ember laughs, "Thanks! Fire tends to have that effect..."

Mae nods, a faraway look in her eyes, "It sure does. No one forgets fire."

"Anyway," I continue, slightly disturbed by the tone of Mae's voice, "It looks like you're almost ready for tonight, right?"

Ember nods, "Totally. 'Course, I could always add more, but..."

"No need. Unless..." I say pensively, looking at Mae, "Mae, do you think your powers will work on plant life, like grass, or something?"

Kili, controls emotions,

I run around a tent, thinking hard. Nick, I'm sure, saw me, but I don't really care about him, or anyone else. There's a show tonight, and I really, truly do NOT want to do anything. At all. Even selling tickets. Actually, scratch that. ESPECIALLY selling tickets. All the people who go through aren't any fun at all. Too weak. To malleable. I need something hard, a challenge. So. A plan. To put off the show AND find someone to, ah, work with. I grin to myself. Oh, yes, a plan. One that I already have.

I turn around and head back towards the main tent, picking up my bow and arrows on the way. Nick is NOT going to like this.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:11 am
fictionfanatic says...

Torrey, creates things out of thin air just by drawing it (idk what to call it):

The sun pierced through the tent. I tried to just lay there and make it go away, but soon I got too hot to sit still. With a sigh, I got up, quickly changed into some ratty old ripped jeans and a black t-shirt. When I got outside I squinted my eyes a little bit so I could see.

I spotted Ember and was about to go over to her and say hi but then she started fire dancing, so there was no way I was going to go over there. Ever since I got trapped in a house fire when I was eight and lost my parents in that same one, I've been sure to stay away from fire. I waited until she was done, trying not to start freaking out. Yeah, fire makes me uncomfortable. But at least I don't try and hide it.

As I waited I watched the fire, and my memory came back to me. I had been stuck in my room, practically coughing up a lung. Something had fallen infront of my door and the room had no windows, so I had no way out. The next thing I knew, the door broke down and someone grabbed me. I screamed, yelled, punched, and kicked to get them to let go of me. When they finally did, I ran away from them. For three weeks I was living on the streets with hardly any food or water. I slept in the alley's and steered clear of the police.

It was on a rainy day that Nick found me. I was balled up on a piece of cardboard shivering and starving. I had heard a noise and when I turned, he was there just looking at me, water dripping down his face. He asked me what had happened, and for some strange reason, I told him. I was describing my house to him, drawing it out in the air with my hands to give him a better idea, and then a little doll house that looked like my house clattered to the ground. I still have that doll house in my tent.

When Ember stopped dancing, my memory stopped too. I went over to them, trying to ignore the smell of smoke, and said cheerily to them all "Goodmorning! Ready for tonight?"

Ashley-Marie, invisability and moves through solid objects:

I came up ehind Torrey as he said "Goodmorning! Ready for tonight?" I laughed a little, and when he turned around I went invisable. He looked confused for a second, but when everyone else chuckled he understood. I walked a few steps to get behind him and made myself reappear. I said quietly "Yes, I suppose you cuold say I'm ready" My arm started tingling and I put it through Torrey's chest when he turned around "Yup, I'm ready."

He chuckled a little but then said "Don't do that, it makes me feel really weird." Blushing a little, I pulled my arm back.

I turned to say goodmorning to everyone else, making sure to give Nick a smile. It's because of him that I am here rather than dead. It was three years ago. I had known I could turn invisable ever since I was a little girl. But some people found out three years ago. They were chasing me in the woods, trying to destroy me because I was 'different'. Nick was just standing there. I noticed him at last second and couldn't stop myself from running. I put my arms up to protect my face but I just went right through him. He was incredibly shocked.

He told me to follow him and I'd be safe, so I took my chances and followed him. And here I am, in an entirely different state than my home.

As I came back to the present, I asked "Should we practice all of it together?"
Live, Love, Laugh

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:13 am
MilkNCookies says...

Luke- Dragons

Jeb's giant wings swooped, slowing his fall. In the air following Jeb, Nack seemed smaller. When at the same level, though, Jeb was the small one.

"Jeb, Swoop attack!" I called. He shot up, higher into the air. He suddenly curved down, an advantage of his small size. Infuriated, Nack used his bulk and weight to plummet even faster. Mere inches from the ground, as it seemed, Jeb curled upwards, and lands farther away. Nack collided with the earth.

"Nack, tumble shake!" I cry. The earth trembles slightly around Nack and Jeb. Jeb keeps falling, and can't get steady footing after.

"Jeb, come!" I call. training was over for now. "Nack, you deserve rest. You did good, old fellow." I coo, as Nack disintegrates into a gray wisp and disappears into the earth. The clamor of people draws me from the woods. I saw Nick, Mae,Torrey,Ashley-Marie and Ember chatting. Probably about tonight's show,when I would show everyone Nack's new moves and Jeb's agility. It was nothing compared to Jadie, but it was good enough for a dragon.

"Come on over!" Mae calls. Her eyes dart towards me, and her eyes are pleading for something.

"Really, I'm fine."

"Come on over!" She insists. Sighing, I tread over to the group, Jeb following like a puppy.

"Hello." I announce, sitting on the fringes.
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:22 am
Funkymomo says...

Ella- telekinetic

" Hey! Let me down!" Jadie yelled with a hint of hysteria.

I struggled as I lowered her down. " Hey, calm down, I am," I said. " You're heavier than you look."

When she touched the ground she immediately bounded towards me. " Why did you do that!" She hissed.

" Hey, calm down, I was just practicing. you weigh more than 115, by the way." A hint of a smile appeared on her lips.

" Ok, I forgive you, just don't do it again. I have to practice."
Last edited by Funkymomo on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Light one candle instead of cursing the darkness.

61 Reviews

Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:25 am
RedBird says...

>>>Umm, just a point, but let's not jump ahead so quickly like that...it's not fair to others who are in the middle of other storylines...Thanks. Also, I'm setting up a DT, so that's where we should discuss things like this.<<<
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."

61 Reviews

Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:26 am
RedBird says...

Here's the link for the DT...

topic71567.html
~Snape, AVPM

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:40 am
fictionfanatic says...

Torrey, draws objects (Okay to call it that?):

I looked at myself in the mirror. I wore a silly outfit - bright purple pants and coat over a red shirt and a large red top hat and red shoes. I also had a red cane and a bright green tie. A completely insane outfit, but costumes like these make the audience feel like it really is just pretend when my shadows turn into something real.

I whistled a tune I've heard on a cartoon once. I peered out of the curtain into the large audience. Our little circus was pretty popular. I saw a crying little girl. When she looked at me (I mean, who wouldn't? I'm wearing these bright colors against a black curtain.) I smiled at her and quickly drew a butterfly. Blowing on it a little before turning it solid, I sent it her way. "Mommy, mommy! It's a magic man!" The girl said.

The mother sushed her and said "That's called a magician sweetie." I went back behind the curtain before the girl turned around again.

The lights began to dim and Nick went out, introducing himself and welcoming them to the circus. I watched him on the screen we had set up back here. He shifted from place to place as he talked to them, and then he introduced Ember. I wacthed her act with anxiety. I could feel the heat of her fire back here. I pulled on my tie a little. I couldn't break down right now, I was next.
They all applauded Ember and then Nick transported me into the middle of the room out there with a puff of smoke. I let out a loud enough laugh so they could all hear. I walked up to the banister seperating us form the crowd and ran my hand over it, smoke weaving in between m fingers as I made flowers appear on them. They all ooed and aaahed. Okay, off to a good start. But they hadn't seen anything yet.
Live, Love, Laugh

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:43 am
Kaywiia says...

Mae

"No need. Unless... Mae, do you think your powers will work on plant life, like grass, or something?" Nick asked me.

"I've never really tried. I mean, I'm probably not strong enough. Here," I pulled the flower out of my hair and handed it to Ember, "Burn it, but don't completely incinerate it." She concentrated for a minute, and under her hand it began to wilt and die. "That's enough!" I said quickly after a minute. She handed it back to me.

I pt it in my hands, stared at it, and willed it to heal itself. Concentrate....concentrate.....nothing. I looked at the still charred flower with sadness.

"My powers might work on it, I probably just don't know how to chanel them for plants yet." I shrugged, and tossed the flower on the ground beside me. "In fact, I'm going to go practice with that a bit," I said, standing up, "maybe if I try hard enough I might be able to do it." I smiled at the thought, waved, and turned to walk back to my tent.

When I got in my tent, I pulled a flower out of the vase on my side table and shredded off its leaves and ripped a few of it's petals.

I tried a different aproach to my thought process, but with another failure. Maybe I can only heal humans. I thought with a shrug. Nonetheless, I tried focusing on diffrent types of energy and kept on attempting to heal the little flower until I heard the music for the show start.

I ran in and took my usual place backstage, ready to rush out at any time of danger.
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:32 pm
Ladyofthedeathroses says...

Cat shapeshifter
I walked over to the lion cage and stepped inside. 'Hey guys.' I said cheerfully. 'Hey Rina.' Caesar replied happily running over to me like a little kitten. I giggled and stroked him along his spine. 'You guys ready?' I asked. Brutus looked at me his face and eyes full of contempt that anyone else would've missed. 'I'm always ready.' He said shortly. 'Good.' I replied calmly. He growled at my playfully and then rubbed his head against my arm. 'You better get going.' He said nudging me towards the cage door. 'Alright.' I replied laughing as I stepped out. I ran to get changed in a red and black tuxedo that was the only thing I really insisted on. I twisted my hair into a bun. I put on black ankle boots and zipped them up. I leaned my back against the cage. I saw Nick walking around. "Nick!" I shouted running towards him. He turned towards me his expression slightly pensive. "Hey Cat." He said smiling. "Hi. So are you going to transport me and the cage together or seperately? I wasn't quite sure about that." I said curiously.
"You are without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But you have heard of me."

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:18 pm
Funkymomo says...

Ella- telekinetic

"Ok," I thought. " Don't panic, you've done this before," I was having my usual pre show angsiety. I pricticed lifting the chalk to the board over and over again, until it finally broke. I sighed and sat down, trying to calm myself. I lifted a puppet from the ground and played with it in the air for a minute, when I heard a sharp intake of breath. I turned to see a young boy, maybe six or seven, staring at me.

" You magic?" He asked, wide eyed. " Aw you like Harry Potter?" I chuckled. Harry Potter, as if he could do anything without a wand.

" Yeah, i'm just like that. Why don't you go back to your parents? I'll see you in the show," he smiled and ran away. Good thing he was so young, anyone older would have realized that it was real magic. I felt for him though, being young and believing anything, that's why my powers are limited, everyone older than me told me I was being silly when I said I had powers. I sat down and sighed.

" Are you ok?" I turned towards where the voice came from, and wasn't surprised when there was no one there. Ashley-Marie appeared. I smiled, she always did this.

" Yeah, just nervous, as usual," I said. " I always worry about silly things, like what if no one in the audience wants to get lifted, stuff like that. I-"
I was cut off by a loud thud and a loud scream of " OWW!"
Light one candle instead of cursing the darkness.

Reviews: 0
Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:32 pm
View Likes
Undertaker says...

Ember; fire bending

After practicing for the most of the day I, walked back to my tent to get ready for the big show tonight. Walking in, I strolled over to a small pile of cloths and pulled out a red tank top and a pair of red puffy pants. I then fixed my hair so that I was tied back in a braid, it was much easier to dance when it was not in my face anyway.

By the time I was done, the show was getting ready to start. I calmly stepped back stage and waited for the show to begin. Suddenly the lights came on and Nick was standing in the middle of stage. It was not long till Nick introduced my act to the stage.

When my dance was done, I signaled to Nick and he teleported me backstage. I stood there for a second and watched as Torrey’s act was introduced. After a second, I decided to see how everyone else was doing. Turning around I wandered back further into the back to see who was practicing.

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:10 am
Jas says...

I'm a jerk. A terrible, horrible, unreliable jerk. You know why I'm one? Because I have to give this up :( I have Nano and homework and I can't do everything at once. I'm sorry D:

~Jas
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:35 am
Cspr says...

Name: K.J. Chance

Power/Circus Act: Power: He's oddly good at controlling shadows and maybe the breeze, a tiny bit. He's not really sure what to do with the shadows (other than make his own solid and lounge on it--they're rather fluffy when condensed), but it's fun to freak people out. Act: simply, scaring the snot out of people (he seems unusually good at it, too). Tends to help others with their acts, rather than focusing on his own.

Appearance: Tall (6'5"), lanky. He's leanly muscular, rather cat-like. He has gray eyes, shaggy, yet short, dark hair that sticks up at odd angles, and he also has permanently tanned skin (unless you count the absolute dead of winter--then he gets a bit pasty like everyone else). His facial features are pretty angular as well, with slightly sunken eyes. He has a scar down the right side of his face, from his right eye, and he has a slight limp (right leg).

Personality: He could've been just about anything he wanted to be, he had the brains and cunning, but then he had to be a freak and mess it all up--oh, and he's not likable. That would be his opinion. Normally he's pretty decent, not exactly human (think C3PO if curious), but he leaves everyone else alone. He likes his space and he doesn't want you in it, especially if you're trying to chat him up or trying to sell him something (he has long wished to be able to shoot at telemarketers, "Like those two old dudes in that movie I watched with my Mum once!"). He's generally a little bit, well, for lack of a better word "odd" (if you hadn't figured that out yet). But he's nice...sometimes. Known to push people until they fall, but, still...

Weaknesses/Strengths: He's easily convinced to do things he normally wouldn't, but then he sticks with his goals. His personality is a little too abrasive and rough to be a team player. He can be pretty jealous or annoyed of/by people. He also has a deep-set fear of dogs. He, um, isn't the best companion as he's a self-proclaimed "non-team player"/He's independent and can stand on his own two feet, he won't back down from a challenge, he's willing to do what it takes to get what he wants in life. Oh, and, as far as physical strength goes, he's been known to throw a punch and break a nose...

Likes/Dislikes: Chocolate (like the normal person), that pink wine (he had some once at a wedding he crashed), sometimes cats, horses, the outdoors (when it's daylight), neatness, drawing/painting, 80s-90s music./Dogs, some cats, people in general, children, messiness, bright colors, loud noises, not knowing what time it is.

Other: He dislikes talking about "inane" things; but that's mostly because he doesn't want to talk about his history or family. He's very closed mouth about it all--except, ironically, the most inane facts about his life previous.

^Hope that's good and not too odd--but it's a circus!
My SPD senses are tingling.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:09 pm
MilkNCookies says...

Luke

Ugh. I hate preforming, but it was the least I could do for Nick. After all, he took me in when Da saw my dragons. he said I was 'interesting and useful'. I changed into a white suit, so they could see me. It only worked at night, for the fire and all. We rehearsed; I could call out 'flying monkeys' an Jeb would still loop right. Yes, it would end with smoke from fire, and Nick would bring me back. Sighing, I brought out Nack to do the performance again.

Again? He sighed. I felt a bit of pity for the old dragon, but he lived to puzzle our audience and amaze them. We ran through the whole thing, loops and corkscrews and fire. Oh, lots of pretty fire. I saw Ember in the distance and waved to her.
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

Don't aim at success--the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one's dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself.
— Viktor E. Frankl