z

Young Writers Society

Robin Hood Gang Five: Times Changed (Previous Members Only)

Reviews: 4
Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:02 pm
MayApple says...

Maitea

It felt wierd, having a gun in my pocket again, and another under the seat of the car. A vial of poison in a little glass bead around my neck, it was almost de ja vu. Everything except the ring around my ring finger on my left hand.

"Maybe," Ace smiled, and turned back to look at the road. A good choice, in my opinion.

"Well," I shrugged, "I most certainly wouldn't mind. And I wouldn't have to lie to Shelia so much," We both laughed, and I played around with the radio a bit until I found a song I liked.

"2 thousand music, really?" He raised an eyebrow.

"My grandma was a big taylor Swift fan, she used to play it on her cd player all the time, and her music isn't half bad," I pointed to the radio, "just listen." Ace rolled his eyes with a smile, and his grin grew even more profound as he found out I could sing along with every word.

"Nice, can we put on something from this century now?"

"Go ahead," I ran my fingers through my hair. One of the many perks of working at a hair salon is the fact that my hair always looked perfect. Of course, it tended to get on Ace's nerves when I got on his case for a split end or too.
Life is a door, and I hold the key to happiness.

Reviews: 0
Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:31 am
Guess says...

Jack

I had no words for how I was feeling. I felt bad for her, and for what she had gone through; but I was also digusted in her for even getting herself in that situation. So she refused to do it with me, but another guy comes along and she's just fine with him. I would have been more careful with her, unlike he had been. And it was just so ironic his name was Nicholas.

"No, Riley, I understand," I took a deep breath, "we all make our mistakes. I've made mine, and I'm still living the consequences." I knew what I meant, and it was killing Carmen. Riley hd probably taken it some other way, but I really didn't care.

I sat down at the table, and she took a seat beside me.

"How old is she?" I asked, meeting Riley's eyes for a moment.

"Five, but she'll be six soon," so the gang had been split up six years....I quickly did the math. Less than three months after leaving the gang. Lovely. I sighed, and looked back towards the window.

"What are you thinking about?" she asked me after a minute.

"It doesn't matter," I hesitated, "just how soon you forgot about me and the rest of the gang, to run off with some other guy." I stood up, and began to walk towards the door.

"It's wasn't like that, Jack," she stood up, and followed me. She grabbed my shoulder ,and I turned around. Before I could evn think about what I was doing, I kissed her full on the lips. For once in the longest time Carmen didn't cross my mind.
Life's just full of questions....stop asking me and go find some hippie on a mountain.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:48 am
Kaywiia says...

Warning, this gets slightly graphic.

Riley

Why the hell was Jack kissing me? And why wasn't I pulling back?

Instead I gripped his shirt and pulled him closer to me as he wrapped his fingers in my hair. It seemed like I couldn't get closew enough to him, no matter how tightly I was pressed against him. He pressed me against the wall, and I made no move to push him back. His lips stayed glued to mine, and I couldn't help but want more, somehow.

In that moment, I felt so young and wild again, like when I was sixteen and Jack was the only thing that had mattered to me. When a gun was my constant companion, and a racing heart was a norm. He placed both his hands on the waall beside my head, trapping me against him. Not like that point that I really cared anyway.

We pulled away from the kiss, and I pressed my forehead against his. I ran my hand down the side of his face, and quickly brought my lips to his again. I loved this, I couldn't help it. Then, reminders of the little girl sleping in bed upstairs and the reason she was there flooded into my head.

"What am I doing?" I whispered, "I never learn,"

"Im not Nicholas," Jack promised. He put his hands down, but I brought my lips to his for another passionate kiss again.

"I know that," I spoke softly.

For another moment he brought his lips to mine.
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:51 pm
BenFranks says...

Reg Carter

I pulled up outside the gang's old apartment and sat in the front seat of the 4x4, just watching it. There were definitely people inside - I could see that by the drawing of the curtains at the front and the faint pull of a silhouette up against the far wall. There was also another man - must've been just a boy actually, 17 odd? He was carrying milk and fumbling with some keys on the way down the road, looking up at the apartment nervously. I decided to take my chance; he must've been one of the gang-impersonators, no doubting that. I got out of the 4x4 and confronted him about 5 feet before he reached the front of the house. I grinned at him and looked him up and down.

"Shit-" he began.

"What's your name kid?" I grunted. He looked panicked and thought about running, but I wasn't the same person I used to be. I couldn't care less. That was Jane's fault. She was my sister, but she'd forgotten I'd saved her life. I pulled out my pistol and shot the boy in the back of the head, his body flopping to the ground in a spray of his own blood. It seemed merciless, but it also seemed like a necessary impulse. I hadn't thought twice.

Then I looked around to the apartment building surprised to see Jack and Riley burst through the door, Jack's shirt slightly pulled open. They looked surprised at the sight of me, gun in hand, and a small black haired boy's body lying on the ground. His head practically inconceivable.

They were speechless, for whatever the reason. They'd seen it all before, but obviously something gripped them about this event - or perhaps the running up to it. I wasn't in the mood for welcome back greetings. In fact, I'd kind'a hoped I'd never have to run into these people again. Even Riley, as after all, she was the one who broke up the gang and cut me off forever, just like my sister. Instead, I walked up to the body, picked up the bottle of milk and unscrewed the cap. I took a good swig of it and then held it to my side. Then I met Jack and Riley's eyes once more.

"Evenin' Riles," I grunted. Then looked at Jack momentarily, but said nothing. Time to revive the past...

42 Reviews

Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:54 pm
Kaywiia says...

Riley

"Evenin' Riles," Reg spoke, somewhat curly. His eyes met Jacks, and then he looked back at me. My heart stopped for a minute, but I took a deep breath and managed to form a half decent response.

“Reg, it’s been a while,” I said, and bit down on my bottom lip. Jack looked at me, and then back at Reg. He frowned for whatever reason I could only guess at, but didn’t say anything. “Why don’t you come inside?” I offered after a second of silence.

Reg followed close behind me, with Jack trailing behind. They sat down at the table, and I made three cups of coffee. When I put them down at the table, though, they remained untouched by both men.

“What have you been up to lately?” I asked, taking a sip from my cup and almost gagging. It was stale, and tasted like seawater. I put my cup down, and tried to muffle a cough.

“I went down south for a while,” Jack spoke up, “made some money down there. I joined the army a couple years after that, and then ended up working in Chicago with my uncle. I came down here when I saw the news story. Jack looked at me, and gave a slight nod.

“Well-“ I began, “I’ve sort of been playing it down. Changed my name, lived a basically normal life. I work, I have a nice little house in New Haven, and-“

“Riley, just tell him, he’ll find out anyway,” Jack looked at me.

“And I have a daughter named Charlie,” I finished. I looked to Reg for a reaction, a part of me had a feeling I wouldn’t like whatever his reaction would be.

42 Reviews

Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:08 am
ridersofdamar says...

James~~

I pulled up at the old shack that Reg had been living in for the past years, and left without going inside. I could tell it was empty from the look of it. I doubt it looked any different than it had during his habitation, but now it lacked something. I sped off down the highway, trying to figure out where they would go next.

I went through a mental list of all of the places we had stayed, and only one was a possibility: the apartment. It would take me all night to get there, but I had nothing else to do. I turned up the radio and sat back in my chair. It was going to be a long night.

*I'll let you guys work things out before I hop in*
Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

411 Reviews

Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:40 am
BenFranks says...

Reg Carter

I was taken aback by what Riley had said, but from resuming our normal lives something had just told me that perhaps this wasn't a surprise. In actual fact it was a settling thought. It meant that the chances of having to bring the gang back together were slim and that meant the stupid rehibiliation of our past doings would stay where they belonged. However, her concerned look told me otherwise. Thing about Riley is that no matter how normal something in her background was, I could always seem to tell she had a massive urge for getting back into the rhythmic flow of leadership.

I shrugged at the idea. I knew that she had feelings for me before the gang split up, but my assumptions were that those feelings had long gone. "How things change," I grumbled and sipped the coffee while taking my gaze anywhere but onto Riley or Jack's faces.

I knew she'd be thinking thoughts about my response; probably the calmness of it or the snidey underlying tone of what I'd just said. I'd only realised after I said it that it sounded as though a jealousy had peered on through; like whoever she had the baby with was someone she'd just picked up and pushed me aside. It was an odd notion, since I didn't really return the feelings as much as I used to before the gang split up, but there was clearly a tint of jealousy in what I said. For some reason, I'd also made the assumption that Jack had the kid with her.

"So. How long you lovers been together then, eh?" I faked a smile and looked at them both once more.

Reviews: 0
Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:28 pm
Guess says...

Jack

"So. How long you lovers been together then, eh?" I saw that Reg was faking a smile, and I decided to have a little fun.

"Since a month after the gang split. The wedding was beautiful, really, too bad you couldn't have-" I was cut off when Riley slapped me on the back of the head, "Dammit, Riley,"

"This is the first time I've seen him since the gang split. He just got here about twenty minutes ago, it was as much of a shock for me as it was for you finding us here." Riley corrected, "Charlie is a long story, but lets just say I made a few mistakes with a guy. End of story," She couldn't play along for one damned minute, could she? Oh no, of course not, she couldn't hurt her precious little Reg...

"Do you have any idea what to do about the posers?" I asked her, avoiding looking at Reg.

"I'm not sure, but I need to go check on Charlie, make sure she's asleep, Riley began to walk upstairs, and I turned to Reg.

"You blew your chance big time. Riley's mine now," I whispered, smirking. Reg narrowed his eyes, but didn't comment right off. Two long minutes of silence passed, and then I said, "I'm goin' to go check on Riley, make sure everything's okay."
Life's just full of questions....stop asking me and go find some hippie on a mountain.

411 Reviews

Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:19 pm
BenFranks says...

Reg Carter

Jack's sudden burst of anger in claiming that Riley was his was mildly surprising. I once thought he'd be more of a grown up son of a bitch next time I ran into him - which I had hoped would've been never - but no, he was still the inpregnated 2 year old flushed with steroids and a queer Mexican approach on everything. I shrugged when he'd insisted on going to go and check on Riley. It wasn't my problem, and I wasn't sure if I could care less. Instead, I went to the window and noticed the body of the boy still out there, untouched and unmoved. It was unusual really that no-one had phoned the police or gathered around his remains, but it kind of showed that the impersonating gang had their ties right 'round here.

I picked up the phone and noticed a number scribbled on a piece of paper. I picked it up and dialed the number exactly as it was into the phone. It rang momentarily before some young and youthful woman picked it up.

"Hello? Steve that you?" she started. I thought quickly of my response and knew that I could never pass as a seventeen year old, nevermind with someone who was familiar with the voice.

"No," I replied.

"Who is it then? Eh?" I heard her voice trail off... "Shit, George, I think the cops are on us-"

I interuppted her. "No, I ain't a cop, love," I grumbled into the receiver, still eyeballing the dead body of 'Steve' the kid. "M'name is Reg Carter. And I'd like to join your gang." I smiled at the thought; the girl, on the other hand, swore and hung up. I did manage to get a short snippet of her saying "It's worse" to her friend before she put down the phone, and the sudden feel of power made me feel good again.

I was a Fisher, after all. One of the first.

Reviews: 4
Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:51 pm
MayApple says...

Maitea

“Okay, let’s just get the first hotel we see, I’m tired,” I put my head back against the seat with a yawn. It was getting dark, and Ace and I had been alternating driving all day.

“Okay,” Ace quickly agreed. I had a feeling he was getting tired too; he had done more than his share of the driving. I took a sip from the coffee that rested in the cup holder beside me and then closed my eyes, just feeling the wind running through my hair.

Houston was pretty, I had to admit, and it was warm down here despite the fact it was October. The jacket I had needed in San Diego was now tossed in the back of the car. I opened my eyes again and saw a Hilton sign appearing from behind the skyscrapers.

“Let’s stay there,” I pointed and yawned. Ace took the exit towards the hotel and soon enough we were in its parking lot.

We pulled our bags out of the car, and we went to check in. As soon as we walked into the lobby, though, my eyes widened and I dropped the bag I was carrying.

“Tia?” I asked. She turned to look at me, and her facial expression was a cross between amused and confused.

“Ace, Maitea, what are you doing here?” She raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms over her chest. She hadn’t changed a bit, at least not personality wise.

“We saw the news story and came down here to check things out. I didn’t think we would run into any of you, though,” I walked up to her and gave her a quick hug accompanied by a smile. “So where’s Riley?”

“At the apartment, it was base for the Fishers before the mansion.”

“Will you show us where it is in the morning?” Ace piped up from behind me.

“Sure, whatever, I’m warning you, you’re in for a shock though,”
Life is a door, and I hold the key to happiness.

123 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 123
Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:14 pm
Vanadis says...

Ace

It was starting to get hard to keep my eyes open, even with the five energy drinks I'd had that day. Maitea kept insisting that I slept, but I couldn't, not being that hyped up on caffeine. Now though, I didn't argue about the hotel. She pointed out the Hilton and I smiled. I'd just get the nicest suite possible, with the biggest, fluffiest bed available, and flop down on it and sleep. For a week, or at least until Maitea decided to wake me up somehow, preferably by calling room service for Belgian waffles and organic orange juice or something but I'd leave that to her...

"Ace, turn in here," she said.

"Oh. Sorry. I'm...I was a little distracted." I pulled into the hotel and found a place to park before grabbing my bag and heading to the lobby. I was almost to the concierge counter when I heard something drop to the floor, and one of the two words I dreaded. "Oh...fu--sh--d-- kuso." I fumbled around with trying not to swear in the middle of a hotel lobby; there were a few kids around. Um...so since when did I really care about kids? When I was a teenager, I reveled in offending them, and now that I was twenty-four, I was seeing babies in line at the supermarket and going stupid over how cute they were.

There I was, being a space cadet again. I was staring out the front window, right past my wife, right past the lesser of two evils. Could have been worse, I suppose. It could have been The Lady Cthulhu standing there. No, no. That was giving Alis too much credit. Not to mention too many tentacles.

"Ace, Maitea, what are you doing here?" Tia asked.

"Nice to see you too, Tia," I smiled, picking my wife's bag up for her. After Maitea was done talking, I asked if Tia would show us where the apartment was. I'd been there before, but...well, I'd been sick. Remembering details like that was just too much to have asked at that time in my life.

I raised an eyebrow. "A shock? Um, then maybe I should...um..." I made to turn around. "I'm...gonna go get a room, uh, you guys... keep doing what you're doing." I walked back up to the counter to get the suite.

I hoped Alis wouldn't show up. If she did, I wasn't going to be held responsible for what I might do to her. Right before we'd left, I'd had Isabel Taitague, my trainee, and my high school friend Gwen Ellis agree to take my jobs. Both of them made me promise not to shoot anyone while I was away--well, Gwen said not to shoot, and Isa said to at least leave them alive. If Alis showed up, I'd have to break my promises to both of them.
Last edited by Vanadis on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
We've got deep-fried water bears and horse wigs!

If you're slapped in Guam, you're slapped in real life. --chibibo

Need someone to review your novel? Why don't you try checking here? Buddy up!

Last time I checked, love had no gender.

Reviews: 2
Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:13 pm
RedSun says...

Alis

I didn't exactly have a plan. Quite frankly, I didn't need one. I had a gun in my hand and that same vial of poision Maitea had given me six years ago in the pocket of my jeans.

I was almost in Texas now, after driving nearly fifteen hours. And it was still another three hours drive to Huston. A drive I wasn't looking foward to.

My cell phone rang, and I looked at the caller I.D. Jeanie Marsh, my boss, lovely. I flipped open my cellphone.

"Carso speaking," I said, "What can I do for you?"

"Captain Williams told me you were going to take a look at what was going on down south-"

"And?" Of course he would tell her.

"I want all the Fishers dead. The real ones, if you see any of them, and the fake ones. If you have a chance get me one of their cell phones. It will make tracking down any connections much easier,"

"I won't disapoint," I assured her.

"You never do, Carso."

42 Reviews

Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:27 am
ridersofdamar says...

James~~

I pulled up to the curb at three o'clock in the morning and rubbed my eyes. I pulled the lever on the seat and laid back, waiting for the sun to rise.

- - -

The sun shone through the tinted window and my eyes fluttered open, my hand shooting for the gun poking out of my belt buckle. I pushed the door open and stepped out into the morning sun. It wasn't too early for the others to be up. Specially Riley, unless something drastic had changed.

I walked up the stairs and knocked on the door, hoping someone would open the door, then try to shoot me.
Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

42 Reviews

Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:38 pm
Kaywiia says...

Tia

I rolled my eyes, "You wouldn't believe what's happened to Riley. But anyways, I can assume you and Ace found a chance to get married?" I didn't really care, I just knew she would want me to ask. She held up her wedding ring proudly. I tried not to roll my eyes, Ace had really outdone himself, but still my eyes met the cieling.

"Well that's just great for the both of you," I sighed, "I'm going to go get a drink. I'll see you both in the morning." I walked out the door and into my truck.

Riley

I was already up and braiding my hair, but Charlie was still fast asleep on the bed. I had put on my old leather jacket and a pair of skinny jeans to match, leaning mroe towards what I had worn before the split. If I was going to need to take control again, I might as well have looked like my old self. I pulled on a pair of black boots, and went to go get Charlie up.

I turned my head when I heard a knock on the door, before I was able to get Charlie to wake up. I pulled open the door, and my mouth fell open when I saw a very familiar face.

"James?" I asked, stepping out and shutting the door behind me, "what are you doing here?"

"Same as you, most likely," He grinned.

"It's so good to see you again, here, come down to the kitchen, Charlie is still sleeping," I said, forgeting that he had entirely no idea who Charlie was.

42 Reviews

Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:11 am
ridersofdamar says...

James~~

I followed riley down the stairs, trying not to ask who Charlie was.

"So, do we know anything about this imitation gang?"

She shook her head, "No. But Reg killed one last night when he got here."

I laughed, "Wonderful. Glad to see he hasn't changed at all. I went by his place on the way here but he must have left before I landed."

"How did you know where he lived?"

I gave her a look that said 'remember what I did for a living' and kept walking.

"So what now? Should I lie low? Pretend like I never came by and act as an emergency backup, or do you want me in on it? I know I'm not the most reliable member..."

Look, a good poem is a poem that exists. Any poem you write is better than the poem you don't.
— WeepingWisteria