z

Young Writers Society

New Humanity

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:39 pm
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

Stephanie grabbed the only male among the opposing group and head butted him.
He retaliated instantly with a viscous kick to her shins.

She doubled over in pain, feigning pain. As he approached to finish her off she thrust out a foot, hitting him were it hurts.
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:57 pm
Light_Devil! says...

Carus

Carus drew one his daggers, still bent over in pain, and gripping the hilt in his palm, threw his hand upward. The dagger sliced some of the woman's hair off.

He grinned and hopped backwards. Stephenie glanced at the lock that fell to the floor. Her eyes widened in anger, "How dare you?! That's my beautiful hair!"

She was all fury as she lunged at him. Carus counter-attacked and managed to knock her down to the floor. She growled, reaching her shotgun around to face Carus' back and was about to pull the trigger when he seized her wrists.

And pushed them into the air. The bullet went torpedoeing off into the sky. She hissed and kicked to get out of Carus' grip. However, Carus' grip was very strong. With his dagger held by his teeth, he flipped the woman on her back and proceeded to sit on her back.

He looked down at her and her furiously embarassed face, she was screaming obscenities at him and he grinned, "You're much nicer when your quiet." He then looked away to watch the others.

BANG!

Her shotgun went off, taking off a bit of Carus' hair. As she had been screaming she had dislocated her shoulder and had managed to change the shotgun she held in it to an usually impossible angle so that it faced Carus' face. It had been only Carus quick reflexes that had saved him.

As she pulled her shoulder back she pointed at his hair on the ground, "An eye for an eye."

Eyes wide, Carus hopped a few metres back gritting one dagger between his teeth, and two magically appearing in one hand each. His grin grew larger as he spoke pass the blade, "You're a feisty slippery thing, aren't you?"

The other's had begun to fight as well.
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

A computer once beat me at chess. It was no match for me at kick boxing.

"I wish Homer was my father," - Ned's son.
"And I wish you didn't have Satan's curly red hair," - Ned Flanders.

182 Reviews

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:05 pm

The angry Carus growled something about how he hated being spoken to in quotes.

Stephanie took the time to poke him in the eyes. As he clawed at them in pain she rolled out of the way, returning to her fellow Harlots.

She pointed her shotgun at one of the Devas, and pulled the trigger. There was a clicking sound, the gun had jammed.
Last edited by AspiringAuthorA..M. on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:41 pm
Kaywiia says...

I wont be able to post for a little while, grounded, sorry. Bring me in a little though so I have somewhere to start when I am un-grounded.
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:51 pm
Knurla says...

Amy laughed under her breath and backhanded the shot gun out of Stephenie's hand. Stephenie pretty much growled in fury at her, then lunged at Amy. She jumped to the side, Stephenie clipping her on the right, sending Amy into a spiral to the ground. They wrestled each other for a moment, kicking and screaming at each other. Amy could hear Carus laughing at the two of them, but she didn't care. A fist came flying at her face, and she jerked her head over just in time.

Carus snatched Stephanie off of Amy and threw her a good six feet. Helping Amy up, he laughed again, "You shouldn't let her knock you down like that."

"It's funner that way." Amy wasn't too picky about proper vocabulary, being that she rarely spoke. Amy adjusted her large framed sunglasses, which had been knocked sideways during the scuffle. Only Deva knew that she was completely blind.
Formerly known as AmberAngst

182 Reviews

Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Landing with a thud, Stephanie cried out in pain. Blood was seeping out of a large scrape along the side of her forearm. Her vision was blurry, and the people around her swam in and out of focus.

Scooping up the shotgun Stephanie madly tried to unjam it. When there was a satisfying a smile was on her face.

By now the fighting group was a good thirty yards away. Much too far for a shotgun to be effective. Never the less, Stephanie pointed the gun at Carus. She pulled the trigger. Even with both hands on the gun, the recoil thrust back on her joints until it was almost painful. The boom echoing in her eardrums.

Carus was peppered in pellets and stumbled back.

Suddenly thunder cracked, muffling all the grunting and moaning of the fighters. Stephanie trembled, her teeth chattering.

The others had stopped fighting, and they too were trembling.

The fighting would have to end. Nobody was permitted to fight when the supreme deity of the Devas decided that it was time for a storm. If they dared shed blood during a rainfall it would slaughter them all.

"Go in peace, Deva does not wish for us to fight today!" Carus said, gesturing for his people to leave with him.

The Harlots nodded their heads. Stephanie shoved her shotgun back in it's rain proof bag, and gritted her teeth in anger.

Her hands shook with pure rage. She had planned to kill them all. And now, she would have to wait. The question was, how long would it be?

She looked up as her fellow Harlots approached, lighting blazed in the purplish black clouds. It was going to be a long storm.

"I was going to slaughter every last one of them," Stephanie said as the Harlots gathered around her.

"Our time will come," the Harlots said, putting an arm over Stephanie shoulder.

rain pelted around them. Stephanie scooped up her copy of Twilight off the ground and shoved it in her shoulder holster. It was her treasure.

she and the Harlots faded into the storm. The storm pounding the Earth with the ferocity of an angry god.

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:39 pm
WritersBlock says...

HEY I WANT TO JOIN!!!

I will refer to the DT in a sec and post there but here is all of my character stuff...

Name: Korah

Team (Devas or Harlots): Deva

Appearance (Pictures are fine): Young looking, with shaggy brown hair and ruddy red cheeks. He is usually dressed really simply, wearing a black cloak with the hood pulled up. Has golden eyes that seem to glow when the light catches them, kind of like a cat!

Personality: He is kind, quick to smile, though he can be a tad bit sarcastic at times. Easy going, but also seems to go through mood swings. Overall a fun guys who likes to tell stories, joke, and laugh. But can be serious when the time calls for it.

Power (Not manditory, but recommended): His power has to do with death and decay. He can kill people by basically sucking the life, or their "souls" out of them. Once he does this their souls are converted to energy for his body and they are never "reborn" into the cycle of life. He can also see death on people, how long they have to live, or the chance of them dying in a battle that is being fought. He hates his gift, which is one reason why he fights for Deva, some part of him believes in redemption, and that him fighting for the side of good will make up for his "gift".

Favorite Weapon (Again, not manditory, but recommended): He uses a staff of sorts. It can change its shape and size, and is hard like metal. Also has a pair of pistols

Other: Fights for the Deva's, though Harlot has always believed that he should fight for her. His gift suits her side more, but Korah believes strongly in redemption so he fights for Deva, believing he is making a difference and perhaps saving his soul for the next cycle. He also just wants this all to end, and he is willing to do almost anything to see the fighting stop.

Okay is this all good?

Random avatar

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:14 pm
View Likes
WritersBlock says...

Okay so it is a bit long, but after all it is the introduction to my character so it should be, right? :)

Korah

Korah watched the Harlots leave, many of them with frowns or sneers of disdain on their faces. But if the God had decided they should stop fighting, who were they to question it?

Carus motioned for all of the Deva's to follow him, and they did, turning away from the Harlots and making their way toward the nearby cliff that overlooked the floating city below. Korah followed behind, his mind wandering and dancing in numerous thoughts. None of them were knew, most of them were things he had been thinking about for years, maybe even centuries with how far back his memory went.

As he approached the cliff he paused, staring down at the city below. A spiraling path poked out of the cliff side and descended below. The others were already starting down, they knew the price for fighting when it rained.

"The irony is so rich," Korah muttered to himself as he pulled back his hood and closed his eyes. A faint smile tugged on his lips as the cool drops of rain landed on his cheeks and slid down his face. "Water is the sign for life, and each time it stops us from dealing death. And yet we serve to gods, both who kill and save at their own whim."

It wasn't knew to him. He had often puzzled over the god he served and the one he fought. How could he call Deva a savior? That was how she played herself out to them. Someone who had come to save all the New Humans, who was fighting to protect their souls. Yet how much truth was in that? Did she truly care for each soul that was out there? Or did she merely seek to win, to not loose to Harlot who hampered her every step? "Both are saviors, and yet both have killed thousands..." he murmured softly. "Was it not Deva who first struck the earth? Who started the apocalypse to destroy the humans? And was it not Harlot who saved us, who brought us down here? But she saved us to use us, to have us fight for her. So now Deva seeks to be our saviour, but for what end? Is her goal not the same, to use us to defeat Harlot?" His words trailed off, floating in the air, before being carried away by the wind. They sounded empty, felt empty. "What should the mann seeking redemption do?" he asked softly to no one in particular.

"Trying to puzzle it out yet again are you?" a smooth voice whispered from behind.

Korah knew that voice, and it still made his blood run cold and his heart quiver with fear. Turning he slowly stared at the woman who was approaching him. She wore a simply white gown that wrapped around her perfect body before cascading to the floor in a white train that trailed behind her. Soft, honey colored hair rippled down her back, and two piercing blue eyes cut into him, seeming to see into his soul. She was beautiful, more beautiful then anyone. Yet her beauty was not normal, it affected not only his emotions and his body, but his very soul. "Hello Harlot," he whispered softly/

"Korah," she purred as she stepped forward and kissed him lightly on the cheek. "Your dark thoughts are as strong as ever. I can feel them echoing and twisting through the wind. And yet... you still cling to your decision, to serve Deva over me!"

"I seek redemption," Korah answered meekly as he turned to stare at the city below. "So I serve the light. What other choice is there when both gods pull strings and manipulate all like puppets? When the dark and the light seem so close in comparison, but the light is still the light is it not?"

Harlot didn't answer, she just stood beside him in silence. The rain didn't touch her. It almost seemed to slide through her body, leaving her form perfect, and untouchable. "The light," she whispered, "the light does little Korah. Deva would drag the confrontation out forever, keep us locked in a battle that would drag on for centuries. I wish to see it end," she motioned out toward the city below, "I wish to see everyone freed from Deva's schemes. To have peace."

"Peace?" Korah asked mockingly, "Is that what you call it when they serve in your dark army?"

The lighting in the sky suddenly flashed and a loud peal of thunder shook the ground. "Be careful how you speak to me," Harlot warned quietly, though her voice dripped with venom. "Asking them to serve in my army for one life time is hardly cruel, especially when they get to spend the next cycle here in the New Earth. Ponder it all Korah, but know that I only speak truth."

"Hey Korah, come on!" someone yelled, and Korah turned to see Carus jogging up to him. "The others are already heading down toward the city, we should get in doors and wait out this bloody storm." Carus paused for a moment, studying Korah as he asked, "Are you all right?"

"Of course," Korah answered as he forced out a smile. He knew Carus hadn't seen Harlot, no one ever did. Maybe she hadn't even been there at all. Maybe he was loosing it. "Let's go, this rain is soaking me to the bone." Carus nodded as the two turned and made their way down the spiraling pass to the city below. Korah was silent for most of the walk. He could still here those words echoing in his head, Ponder it all Korah, but know that I only speak the truth."

182 Reviews

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:48 pm

*Wow, that is the longest single storybook post I have ever seen. I on the other hand won't be able to write much today. I'm about to go out into the snow again :D *

Stephanie and her Harlot sisters were resting in a run down mall. Thunder clapping outside. The ceiling was drumming with a billion raindrops. The storm had been raging for what Stephanie estimated to be about two hours.

"I'll see you girls later," Stephanie said, leaving the others sitting on the comfortable couch's of a furniture store.

One of the Harlots asked her were she was going.

"I need to get myself another gun," Stephanie said without turning back. "This one has disappointed me."

The Harlots waved her off.

Stephanie smiled. Such little girls.

Outside the furniture store all was quiet. All had been silent in the world after the apocalypse. No more was the laughter of children, no more was television, no obscene music blaring from stereos, no Twilight fangirls screaming about the release of a new movie based on the book series. No more people telling her that her writing style sucked.

She relaxed, inhaling the stale air of the mall. Life was good.

Random avatar

Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:07 am
WritersBlock says...

So since we know so... little about this world I took the liberty -which I hope is okay -to kind of create an environment and a feel for this "New World"

Korah

Korah followed Carus's example and quickly slipped up the hood of his cloak as they came down from the spiraling pathway and started heading towards a large bridge. People were everywhere, milling around and hurrying along. Most of them hardly looked around, merely pulling their coats tighter around themselves as they muttered about the rain and the horrible weather.

Men in white uniforms patrolled around, eyeing people and yelling at some to hurry along. Korah unconsciously pulled the hood of his cloak down further as him and Carus passed one of the uniformed men. They were Harlot's men, the police of the the New Earth. Most people, if not all of the New Earth were clueless to the battles that raged on all around them. They were content to go about their business, hurrying to and fro, trying to scratch out a living in this bleak world. Some however did know of the battle constantly raging between heaven and hell. There were pockets of resistance scattered all about, those who were loyal to Devas. And while those who were loyal to Devas moved in the shadows, sabotaging, and striking from the shadows, Harlot's men moved about in the light. Her followers controlled most of the government and powerful political parties, as well as all of the law enforcement. Most of the people were merely puppets, with no idea who was pulling their strings.

Of course those who served Devas weren't labeled "followers of a God! Shoot on Sight!" Instead other things were made up to cause people to fear them. Korah had once seen a poster with his face on it. The words scribbled on the bottom of it read "Mentally Deranged Prison Escaped from Psychiatric Ward!", he had found that funny then, though now he felt it was more true then anything else.

As him and Carus slipped by the guards they came to the large bridge. Hundreds of places in New Earth had bridges. Places that covered the gaps between the floating continents and cities. Some if the continents were small, no bigger then a few miles. Other floating continents stretched hundreds of miles. Many, though not all were connected. The bridge was made of a metal worked with magic and other things so that it never rusted, and water would never stick to it. The bridge was wide enough for nearly twenty people to walk side by side across it.

Korah glanced to the side and saw Amy walking with Renaheid a few paces off. They both had their hoods up as well and were weaving their way through the crowd of people, seeming to blend in with everyone else.

"We should stay with Vera," Carus said. Vera was one of the New People who was loyal to Devas. They had stayed with her numerous times before, taking shelter in her tiny apartment. "We should be safe with her until we find out what to do next, or at least until the next skirmish."

"I want to go to a bar," Korah muttered with a slight yawn, "A stiff drink would do me some good."

"Ha!" Carus laughed, "me to. Once were inside the city I'll tell them were going to be at Vera's and they can decide to go their now or to go to the bar, will be a fun night either way!"

182 Reviews

Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:39 am

Stephanie's foot steps echoed throughout the vast open area of the mall. The storm was still going hard, and showing no sign of ending. She smiled when she came to what she was looking for. A weapons shop.

She picked up her face and entered the store. Surprisingly, unlike other stores the mall had been relatively free of looters, during the initial after math of the apocalypse. Stephanie unzipped her pack, and pulled out the standard double barreled shotgun.

It's a nice weapon, but it's just not fast enough, she though searching the store for a new toy. Many gun racks were empty, but there was still a diverse amount of fire arms. Here yes locked on a silver automatic shotgun.

A devilish grin forming on her face, Stephanie spoke the ancient words, summoning a charcoal black monkey beast to materialize on her side.

the creature peered up at her with bright green eyes that were as luminous as rubies.

"Go get me that gun Molech," Stephanie said, pointing to the silver shotgun.

As her summoned beast hopped away to retrieve her weapon of choice off the rack, she tossed aside her old shotgun. It clanked on the ground, and slid a few feet, before it became still.

As Molech returned, Stephanie bent down and took the weapon out of it's hands. Stephanie was surprised at how heavy it was. But, she would be sure and have it become as simple to use as any of her limbs. She was going to kill that Carus. She pouted her lips, almost tasting victory.

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:19 pm
View Likes
Light_Devil! says...

*Sigh*

Perhaps, I didn't make it clear in my post when I said that new-comers were to ask to be included in this SB on the DT; and not just suddenly burst in with sudden all-knowing knowledge of all things of this SB. Oh, well. WritersBlock, I have very little complaint with your posts - though, I think your character may have a bit too many weapons. Please take at least one off him.

Also please delete -
Some however did know of the battle constantly raging between heaven and hell. There were pockets of resistance scattered all about, those who were loyal to Devas. And while those who were loyal to Devas moved in the shadows, sabotaging, and striking from the shadows, Harlot's men moved about in the light. Her followers controlled most of the government and powerful political parties, as well as all of the law enforcement. Most of the people were merely puppets, with no idea who was pulling their strings.

Of course those who served Devas weren't labeled "followers of a God! Shoot on Sight!" Instead other things were made up to cause people to fear them. Korah had once seen a poster with his face on it. The words scribbled on the bottom of it read "Mentally Deranged Prison Escaped from Psychiatric Ward!", he had found that funny then, though now he felt it was more true then anything else.

Reason: New Humans don't know of anything much about the Goddesses. They are about as aware of the Goddesses as we are of "our" God - some people don't even believe in them at all. No one, except the warriors of Deva and Harlot know enough about the battle of the Goddeses to take sides; to New Human's they are only mysterious things. I will however accept your White Police theory. The Goddesses can put their warriors in the real world to act as "humans". In sync with the no-side-new-humans, your "Vera" will have to either disappear - or be a link from one of your character's lives, or something along those lines.

Sorry, if that sounds harsh, but the belief of New Humans plays a big part in the plot I made. :D

--

Carus

Carus shook his head with laughter, "You know you shouldn't really trust Vera that much. She's . . ."

"Not one of us?" Korah filled in.

Carus nodded his head as he entered the bar, flicking his hood off, he continued with, "You just "know" her, right? It's not as if she's sworn to Deva like we are. I would so like to trust her, but . . ."

Amy piped in, her voice still soft, "She's not one of us."

Renaheid, eyes aflame, muttered, "Oi, stop discriminating. We are them. Perhaps oneday they shall be us. Let it be."

Carus rolled his eyes and the bartender served them, "The usual?"

The four nodded. The bartender served up their drinks. Carus usually got a lemon-lime bitter. As it was set in front of him he lapped it up. As the liquid disappeared within seconds, he finally let up and took a breath.

"That's what I needed. A little rest after that scuffle. Gonna have bruises from that twi-hard." He rubbed his shoulders, then looked at the holes the Harlot's pellets had put through his shirt.

He moaned, "This was my favourite vest as well."

Underneath his shirt, as was standard, he wore a diamond-kevlar vest, which now, would need to be replaced. Korah chuckled a little bit, "They're all your favourite."

Amy put in her small word, "You get a new one every month, Carus."

Ren grinned in agreement. There they sat in comfortable silence when suddenly, a soothing voice spoke into their heads.

"Sons, daughters. I despise myself to call upon you so soon after a battle, but I need you all to urgently head to the Southern Summer Continent. It is matter of great importance. I urge you all to make haste."

Carus rolled his shoulders, and cracked his neck, then grinned, "It looks like this vest will have to hold out for a few more days."

Korah frowned, "It's not normal for Deva to call upon us like this. I have this weird feeling."

Amy smiled nervously. Ren waved a hand in front of Korah's face, "Oh, feeling schmeeling. Come on. We need to get there like . . . yesterday."

Carus laughed, "I couldn't have said it better myself."

Amy was the one to ask, "Sky or crust transport?"

---

The four Harlots, each doing their own things, were suddenly interrupted by the vicious cold voice of their Goddess.

"Southern Summer Continent. Now. Go!"

---

The countdown for a new altered eternity had begun.
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

A computer once beat me at chess. It was no match for me at kick boxing.

"I wish Homer was my father," - Ned's son.
"And I wish you didn't have Satan's curly red hair," - Ned Flanders.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:21 pm
CelticaNoir says...

Sorry I replied so late! Here's my two-cents to you guys. :P

Renaheid

"Sky transport. Won't mind the wind blowing in my face for once." Rena muttered as she sipped at her glass. The glass of the window she was staring at was glazed with drizzling water, each color and shape more obscure than the last. She grimaced. So many layers of frustration, so little time to think.

The redhead licked at her lips as she finished the last of the cranberry-red wine and set it down on the table with a lousy CLANK, causing the others to look over at her. Amy was the first to speak up.

"Hey...you alright, Rena?"

"Hm? Oh, yeah." Rena shook her head for a moment, trying to clear it. "Just a bit tired, is all."

"You sure that wine you just drank wasn't poisoned, Ren?" Carus drawled. Rena turned her glare full-force on him.

"Shut up, Carus. I thought you knew these people better than I did."

"..."

"Whaaat?"

"You told me to shut up."

"Gah!"

Rena stormed off into the next room, fuming as the others stared at her back. Sometimes she hated being stuck as a warrior.

Lenneth:

Lenneth stared at Stephanie's back as the latter sauntered away in a jaunty manner. She wasn't a fan of Stephanie in anyway - an opinion she took care to keep secret. After all, the less people knew about her, the better. That way, she could keep herself protected.

A squirrel had perched on her shoulder. And while Ame had been busy giggling at the ridiculous sight for the last few minutes, she'd stopped when the young illusionist had sent her a level stare. After all, it was so easy to break a person's mind with just a flick of her harp...

For some reason, her power didn't work as effectively as she had hoped when it came to the Devas. Not even with a full-scale complicated melody was it easy to break them - Lenneth supposed they had some sort of protection against illusions.

Ame was leaning forward towards her, her eyes shining with uncontained glee. "You look funny."

"Thank you for that observation." Lenneth replied dryly, returning to feeding the little squirrel with pieces of this and that. "I hadn't noticed."

"You know, Len - "

"I have to go now. Bye Ame - or not."

"Huh? Where are you - wait, Lenneth!"

Lenneth quickly hurried away from Ame towards another part of the derelict mall, her eyes on the squirrel as it looked up at her. She stared at it.

"Sometimes I wonder if anybody understands me at all. Do you ever?"

The squirrel chirped at her. Lenneth patted it gently before setting it down slowly back on the ground. Well, she didn't have to worry about understanding right now. What she needed to do was to fulfill her purpose.

She needed to defeat those Devas.

(Yay! ^^ I did both characters. By the way, did anybody notice that there are more girls than boys? Just an observation.)
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

Random avatar

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:15 pm
WritersBlock says...

Hahahah, just so you know I did post in the DT and ask if I could join. AspiringAuthorA..M. PM'd me and said I was welcome to join so i figured it was all good. And I didn't claim all knowledge, I said I was going to give it a go and I am totally cool if you don't agree or want to make a correction, its just hard writing when we know so little about this "New World". So I have no problem with your corrections. It all sounds fine to me :)

182 Reviews

Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:16 pm

I thought it would help in addressing the balancing issue. :(

Oh, and look here for something shocking.

topic58810.html

Added later:

It was proven to be a joke. :lol:
Last edited by AspiringAuthorA..M. on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Okay, first of all, who names their dinner? I don't want to know my dinner's name. This potato--is this potato named Steve?
— Rick Riordan, The Sword of Summer