z

Young Writers Society

Lord of the Flies

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:51 pm
TNCowgirl says...

*Darchoo, I think you got my girl down, she'll get nice to him if he keeps being nice, if he breaks that trust she'll be mean :D After she sees him as a friend she'll just pick on him. **

"Not many," She wispered to his unanswered question, they were all thinking it though.

"Sadly," he muttered,

"If we can find food, shelter and the such we might be able to survive until help shows, but until then we will slowly die off. If only I hadn't hurt my leg I would be able to do more. We just need to get them busy. Split up and have some look for more people others to build shelter and a few to search for food." She sighed, So many times she had practiced survivle at home, making shelters and everything but never did she think she would have to really do it.
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:53 pm
kokobeans says...

<Wiki>

My mind is shaking between calm and fearful. Everytime the tension falls there is another uprising.

I slow my pace and walk behind the rest of the group. Safety in numbers?

I'd rather play tag with lions.

Up ahead we find another girl. She's sitting a little away from us, shaken up, but very much alive. She waves us towards her, though only half the group follows.

Fair skinned and pretty, a dash of clear skin under her eyes from almost-fallen tears. I like her. A gentle air surrounds around her, though that could possibly be because she hasn't yelled at anyone yet.

'Is this it?' She asks, her bold voice shaking.

'We're checking the area for any more survivors', John answers.

'What about them?' She nods behind us and I turn to the others who had lingered behind.

One of them is Peter, who's speaking with a beaming, smug grin.

'Leave them', Mike says. I continue to stare. Peter, isn't a threat exactly. I don't know what it is about him, but his entire posture rings out with a tainted kind of sophistication. Mike puts his hand on my shoulder and tugs lightly to turn me back round, bringing my focus to the new conversation. 'Leave them', he mutters.

Pehaps he's... Not so bad.

Mike. Hah. What a cliche name.

You've got to love self assurance.
Last edited by kokobeans on Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:00 am
MadHatter says...

*okay, I was talking to Ivan. Stop putting me in places I'm not. I'm going to start it back with Ivan.*

"So, what are you exactly proposing?" Ivan asked.

"Oh...just starting our own society."

"And how do you suppose we do that? They won't listen to us."

"And how do you know that? I have plenty of tricks up my sleeve. Disunity will run amuck on an island filled with children going through puberty. Heck, when they start to hate someone, we use it to make them join us."

"And what it that fails?"

"I have a backpack full of my fathers hunting knives and about three guns. That won't fail. We're a primative society. The one with the power rules. You in or out?"

"Give me some time to think."

"Suit yourself." Ivan slanked off. He had him. Ivan couldn't turn down an offer like this. Now, what to do about the others? He had to find the weakest one, and turn them into the perfect follower. But who would fit that cateogory?
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:54 am
seeminglymeaningless says...

*** darchoco, back when this was set, 150 people couldn't fit on one plane. we're talking one of those really old planes - in the original book there where, what, 30 survivours, tops? so we'll try and keep it down to that, agreed? i also agree with madhatter - we need clear distinction groups - we can't have mike talking to wiki, when mike in the last scene was carrying on a conversation with ivan. . . so far these are the groups CLEARY defined: jenny and hyley (this can change if hyley's owner doesn't like me), mike and senna. peter seems pretty much stand alone, wiki is still mulling things over, will (actually. . . will's not in here that much), there's the new girl (so three girls in total) and if i'm missing anybody, i apologize. ***

Hyley turned to Jenny, "Hey, it's getting dark. . ."

Jenny squinted at the horizon, grimacing, "Your're right. . . We should really find a place to sleep."

"And light a fire."

"Yeah - that too."

The two children started heading off towards the thick jungle about 100 meters from the shoreline.

"Ay!" Will cried, "Where are you going? We should stick together."

Jenny called back, "It's getting dark, and I think we should have a fire going as a sign that we're here!"

Hyley tugged at Jenny's sweater, looking up into her round face, "Do you think they'll find us?" he whispered.

Jenny drapped an arm acorss his slim shoulders, "We're gonna find out."
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:01 pm
Charlie II says...

*Mad, you wanna have your character pick on mine before he realises she isn't the weakest member? Might give a chance for our characters to get to know each other.*

Charlotte

Wiki was nice.

"You're going to want to be careful of them," he said and pointed at the pair she knew as Michael and Ivan. His gaze seemed akin to her own, but after only a quick glance she could tell he was wrong.

"Careful of that one," she gestured at Ivan. Her light tone betrayed none of the dark aura she saw around Ivan. It was intangible, just a feeling, but Charlotte knew it was the truth. "Michael doesn't seem too bad."

"Why do you say that?" He asked 'why'. It was the characteristic narrowing of the eyes that only young children could perform without being told to shut-up. Wiki was clearly a thinker too, but not in the same way as Charlotte.

"I just," she said in undertones, "I just feel it." She looked into Wiki's eyes with a pleading stare. She prayed he would accept it. Just accept it...

He murmured incoherently and looked away. Oh God. I can't lose him just yet. I don't know who I can trust.

"Silly, isn't it," she lied and let out a fake laugh. It wasn't very realistic, but the circumstances made it seem like she was simply shaken up.

Wiki smiled. It lit up his face and Charlotte released her breath, unaware she'd been holding it. "Don't worry, how are you anyway?"

For the first time, Charlotte considered it. Mentally, she scolded herself; it would do no good to worry about what the others would do if she couldn't take care of herself! Her mind ran over her body, ticking off each part as if on a checklist.

"I'm... fine," she realised with a smile, and everything was good again.
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

104 Reviews

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:40 pm
kokobeans says...

*Sorry, a tiny request. When people start writing can they put the name of their character in brackets or something, i think i'm getting people muddled up. Same if people decribe who they interact with instead of using the name, or refering to a 'group', it's hard to be sure who exactly it is. Hopefully this should avoid some of the muddles*

<Wiki>

The way Charlotte looks at the others, it's if she can see something I can't. Maybe she's a reader, like people who play poker. Is she trustworthy?

Yes.

Are her instincts?

'Careful of that one,' she gestures to Ivan. I know Ivan... Or at least I know of him. She looks at him with such distrust that I can't ignore.

'Why do you say that?'

'I just...' Just what? I'm intrigued, but still, am I expected to believe her? 'I just feel it'

She stares into my eyes, pleading. If she's a reader, she's a good ally to have, and she seems nice enough.

'Womans instinct, great,' I grumble under my breath. I glance around. Surely there's someone else nearby.

'Silly, isn't it,' she laughs. The ability to laugh whilst being potentially stranded on a potentially deserted island, with some potentially homocidal maniacs. I think... I'll take my chances with this one.

The thought makes me laugh silently to myself, though I can't hold back the broad smile that forces its way across my face. She relaxes a little.

She seems level headed enough. Maybe she just hit her head.

'Don't worry', I try my best to assure her. 'How are you?'

She glances down in thought for a few seconds. 'I'm... Fine.' She smiles. 'Are you okay?'

I remember the slight sting on my forehead. 'I'm alright. Just a scratch'. Another glimpe of the brief, bloody image of the pilot flickers through my mind, making me wince. I guess the water and sand cushioned our landing'

'We should round everybody up,' she says. Incredibly thankful to be once again distracted I glance around. Somewhere in the distance Hyley and Jenny are strolling along. Senna is limping with the aid of Mike. Peter and Ivan are still talking, looking round occasionally. It seems I'm not the only one looking for alliances.

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:06 pm
piepiemann22 says...

(You forgot John)
I will always fight back, no matter what.

377 Reviews

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:42 pm

EDIT - what the hell!?!?!? Why did this post all the way up here?!?! Sorry for the confusion guys!

**pieman - yeah *bites lip* but he hasn't come back yet, and that's why i forgot him**

<Jenny>

"Check them ouyt." Hyley said, glancing behind him.

Jenny looked, "Still not budging, eh?" She continued walking, only about 30 meters before they would have to brave the jungle, "Idiots. Maybe if we start the fire without them, they'll come over."

Hyley grimaced, "Does that mean we have to collect firewood?"

"What else are we gonna burn, you nut, if not wood?"

"How are we gonna start it?"

Jenny looked unsure, "Well, I was planing on using my glasses, but as the sun is nearly gone, I don't think that will quite work out. . ."

Hyley folded his thin arms, "Why don't we build up a shelter instead then?"

Jenny blew hair out of her face, knowing her head looked like a red fuzz ball, "Or we could look for food; dunno 'bout you, but I'm starving."

"Yeah, me too." He grinned, and Jenny loved how white his teeth were, "But. . ." His smile faded, "How do we know what to eat?"

Jenny glanced back at the planewreck, "Unlikely to be anything left on the plane. . . I guess we'll just have to be gatherer's. Like back in the prehistoric days."

"That'd be bully." Hyley beamed at her, and Jenny felt bad about making this a game.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:40 am
Kylan says...

{Ivan}

Ivan crouched underneath a palm tree and looked out onto the ocean, watching the waves glisten with crystalline irridescence. The sun was setting. The sea roared. And Ivan felt an alien feeling of calm pulse through his body like blood, beginning at his feet and lapping over him as if he was lying in the ocean at that moment, face up, arms spread out, with salt water seiving through his hair like scintillian fingers.

Incredible calm after incredible disaster.

He thought for a moment about what Peter had said to him. He had liked the concept on one hand - a united microcosmic society of kids - but hadn't liked how Peter's idea had been so...sweeping and across the board. Ivan knew the things Peter was talking about took time. People - children no less - didn't crave control and authority for the most part. A leader needed to prove himself, needed to display his devotion to the public, to the cause. No one liked a self-appointed dictator. Whoever was to unite the children needed to understand the children. Be the children. They had to be strong, smart, and be able to consumate justice.

Two wrongs make a punch in the nose.

Peter had the firepower. Peter had the ingredients for martial law, but he didn't have the ingredients for a successful government: devotion and patriotism. Sure, people would do what you say when you point a gun in there face, but as soon as you lowered your guard they would go for the jugular. Threats were last resorts. Threats lead to backstabbing

Ivan knew what he had to do: he needed to gather them all together. Especially now that it was getting dark. The children would be more... accessible in the dark. They would listen more closely with the unknown looming behind them.

Light.

Ivan needed to build a fire.

He stood up, turned his back on the ocean, and began scouring the base of the tree for something that would produce sparks. Stones, branches, anything. Digging in the sand, he unearthed two egg sized rocks and hefted them in his hands.

He could dent a skull at fifty feet with one of these babies. Immediately, he imagined a head wound, thick and clotting, with fragments of bone jutting out like cracked shell and easily pulled apart. He shuddered and knelt in the sand, gathering armfuls of dry, dead palm leaves. Not today, not now.

Wait.

He struck the rocks in his hands together. Nothing. Again. Nothing. A third time and light cascaded in shards from the stones and ignited the palm leaves below. They began to smolder, smoke rising from them like coiling snakes. Ivan added more palm leaves and shielded the guttering flame from the wind with his back. He smiled.

As soon as they saw the fire, they would come. They would all come.

And Peter's government could come to pass.
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

141 Reviews

Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:38 am
MadHatter says...

Peter watched as Ivan tried to make the fire. He would prove more useful than he had previously thought. But even a fire would not be able to create the government. He had to make sure he had supreme power. Power to the food, to the shelter, and to the guns. He already had one of those things. Peter was sure the wreck might contain some food, and maybe a tent or two. He headed over to check it out.
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

104 Reviews

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:50 am
kokobeans says...

<wiki>

Dark is falling fast all around us, whilst a cool breeze starts to prickle my arms. I've been so concerned with the other people, I've completely forgotten about the elements. That's what we need it all for, isn't it? Leaders, alliances, safety, it's all so we can get from one day to the next.

I think this over, it sounds right, though I can't help feeling terribly uneasy. Sitting here now, we're not actually doing anything, getting nowhere.

That's how it goes in the stories. Half the people sit around and wait to die, the others try to mimic civilisation, they end up arguing and fighting, then someone finds a weapon... Then someone comes along and turns off the television.

Somewhere along the beach I see a spark. Then another, the third one turns into a tiny flame that slowly grows.

'Look,' Charlotte points up ahead. 'Someone's started a fire'.

So they have. But what now? I stand still, relaxed. I watch. I wait to follow her lead. I don't know what to do, though my guess is as good as any. The sun has almost faded, and I can feel my whole body turn to stone. I'll get through this, I won't be the first to fall, nor the last. I won't fall at all.

If I go towards the fire, other people will gather. At least then I know what I'm up against. Slowly my feet start to move.

141 Reviews

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:55 am
MadHatter says...

*Kylan, is Ivan working with Peter or not?*

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:43 am
Charlie II says...

*Looks like Wiki and Charlotte have teamed up for the moment. Probably because neither are trying to take control right now. Actually, that's quite good with the intellectual and spiritual kids working together...*

Charlotte

"Wiki!" Charlotte caught the boy by his shoulder and he stopped walking.

"What?"

Charlotte sighed. How could she express the terrible aura that surrounded the boy with the fire? How could she make him understand that Ivan was wrong? The wrong choice.

"Are you scared?" he asked; his dark blue eyes made contact with hers.

"Yes," Charlotte said, the admission releasing some of the tension, "but there's something about him. Something--"

"--wrong." Wiki finished her sentence and she gasped aloud. He smiled and tapped his forehead with his index finger. "I know, I see it too."

"Can't we stay here?" She pleaded, but they both knew what the answer would be. Out of the corner of her eye, Charlotte saw dribbles of children collecting around the fire. There was a powerful attraction in the fire. It radiated warmth, light and, somehow, good feelings.

"Of course we can't," Wiki laughed gently and he reached out to take Charlotte's hand. Cautiously she took it and he led her towards the flames. "But, if we're aware of him, then we're one step ahead."

"Thank you," she whispered before they got too close to the other groups of kids.

"No worries," he said, and they stumbled across the beach together.
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:14 am
View Likes
Katharsis says...

((Sorry I haven't been able to keep up, it was the last week of school and I haven't been around at home. But I'll try and keep up from now on, but bear with me.))

(Hyley)

Hyley and Jenny reached the forest and without a second glance, Hyley took to running and jumping around on the fallen logs and branches. He shivered, the air was beginning to cool off and his clothes were still wet from the crash. He couldn't help but giggle when he saw the stern look on Jenny's face. Running in circles for a few moments had warmed him a bit.

Jenny finally piped up irritably. "Hy! Stop it, looks like someone else built a fire." Hyley stopped and looked off in the distance. Just as she said, there was a fire. Smoke billowed off the browning palm leaves as the subdued orange flames agonised for their escape. Hyley could smell the smoke, almost smell the warmth of the blazing fire from their distant outpost.

"Lets go!" Hyley almost squealed, abandoning the logs for contentment by the fire. He ran as fast as his legs would carry him, feeling his breaths burning his throat icily in the cooling air, but he didn't care. He wasn't shivering anymore, soon it would be warm.

Jenny cursed under her breath, trying to keep up.

377 Reviews

Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:55 pm

<Jenny>

"Are you high, Hy?" Jenny called out to the running boy in front of her, "Or just insane?" She stopped and placed her hands on her knees, already out of breath, "Bloody - "She gasped out, "Bloody hell. . ."

Hyley came back and ran circles around her (literally), "C'mon - don't you want to be warm from the fire?" He gave her a puppy dog look, and Jenny sighed crossly.

"Look, boy, the fire's not gonna die if we don't get there in 20 seconds, 'kay? Just slow down a little - I'm not that athletic, ya know?"

Hyley looked momentarily sheepish, then said, "We'll you're gonna have to be, to keep up with me!" He dashed off again, and although Jenny would rather them sticking together, she reluctantly allowed for the fact that, boys will be boys.

Sensible sandshoes dragging in the almost pure white sand, Jenny heard her stomach rumble and wished she was back at the orphanage, cooking meals.

Instead she was here, wherever here was.

"Oi, Jenny! You coming, or what!?"

Surround yourself with people who are serious about being writers, and who will tell you, ‘Hey—you can do better than this.’ Who will be critical of your work, but also supportive. And who will not be competitive in a negative way.
— Isabel Quintero