Young Writers Society

The Mirror's Curse (full!)

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:24 pm
Shadowlight says...

(Griffin it's good to see you posting!)

Itaeo Haruon:

I hated reaping multiple souls. I'm not a pure blooded Reaper like my mother. I'm only a halfbreed so I don't handle soul reaping as well as she does, I find it exhausting.

I released my wraith form and slumped against a tree. Rosalie was gathering all our things trying not to look at the bodies strewn about, Alekan was going over them looking for something and Hector was nowhere to be seen.

“Hey Alekan,” I called “what are you doing? Looking for loose change or something?” he gave me a avian glare but answered calmly.

“Those soldiers had to have a reason to be out in these woods in the middle of the night. I'm merely trying to find that reason.” I shrugged and joined him in digging through pockets and packs. I didn't find anything that might give us a clue. I found plenty of military paraphernalia and a few personal items. One man carried a woman's locket, another carried letters from his mother and still another a small sketchbook filled with drawings.

“They didn't tell me anything.” I told the griffin as I searched. “I asked every one why they were here but they all forgot. It's a common side effect of dying, you forget. The second to last one might have know something. He was the captain and when I asked him he told me to go to hell.” I thought I saw a ghost of a laugh ghost on Alekan's beak.

“Yeah , that's what he said. I told him “Sorry captain I'm not going just yet, you are!” he wasn't too pleased about that.” at this Alekan actually chuckled.

“No I'm sure he wasn't.”

Rosalie just then threw my bag, narrowly missing my head.

“It's horrible that you can joke about such things!” she said sitting down near us, she had Kylar's bag in her hands and was obviously upset.

“Sorry Rosalie, but it's either that or I break down and cry my heart out.”
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:39 pm
SubjectBlue says...

I came out of the trees, still on man's form, in my hand a human's leg, bitten.
"hey, anyone wants a bite?" I offered cheerfully, killing usually gives me a good mood, their faces were full of spite and detest. "I was just being nice, you know" I said.
Well, more for me then
'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.' -Stephen G. Tallentyre

"Great minds think alike- idiots are unpredictable"

For Free!
topic86079.html

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:00 pm
gleek456 says...

Rosalie Levia

I tried my best not to throw up when Hector offered the leg. He began eating it without hesitation.

"I need water," I said, exhausted. I picked up the canister, which was lying beside a fallen soldier, and drank from it. It helped power me up, and hold in the upchucks.

"I'm gonna try to look for Aritha and Kyler," I said. I begin to walk farther away from them, hoping to find the other two.
YOU'VE GOT THAT ONE THING

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:06 pm
Shadowlight says...

Itaeo Haruon:

I almost had to laugh in spite of myself, when Hector came jauntily out of the woods chewing on what was left of some poor souls leg.

"Want a bite he offered." Rosalie looked sickened and Alekan turned his head away slightly. "I was just trying to be nice you know." he said sounding rather hurt. "I can be nice once and a while."

"No thanks Hector." I said grinning, he was trying after all, he gave me a sideways glance.

"You look like crap farmer, your eyes are all bloodshot." I was surprised that he could tell in this darkness, but he is a dragon after all.

"That's what happens to me when I reap too many souls, it's sort of like a hangover." Hector made a face then shrugged. Rosalie looked about purposely from where she stood then began walking away.

"we should go find the others." she said. I stood up and grabbed several packs.

"Lead the way."I said falling in behind her.

"Their over their." Alekan said pointing a claw. "Kylar,Aritha and another creature are over that way just beyond that black pine."

(Sorry it's so short. )
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:39 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Alekan

The soldiers didn't carry any obvious clues as to their purpose; but what they didn't have was telling. The soldiers didn't carry any provisions or water skins, they had attacked on foot, without even attempting to talk, and none of their communications mentioned anything about their missions or duties.

These soldiers had good discipline and had decided to attack them after hiding their supplies. They had advanced without fear. They were unfamiliar with combat, but they were well trained regardless. But that hardly made sense. What kind of professional soldier didn't know combat?

There was a sound behind us. I turned to track it. A bush had rustled, but there was no way to tell which bush had made the sound.

"Coming Alekan?" Itaeo asked. I continued to scan the area where the sound had come from, but I saw no one, nor did the sound repeat.

"Alekan?"

"I thought I heard something. It was probably nothing. Let's keep going," I said. I didn't like to say that. In all the stories that were told "probably nothing" was the last phrase a guard said before getting his throat slit. After we had gone a hundred feet, I turned to Itaeo

"Go ahead and keep going. I'll catch up later. Look for me if I haven't come back in two hours," I said, before jumping up into a nearby tree. Itaeo nodded and continued on after the others. I took my position in the tree and flattened myself along the branches. It would be very difficult for anyone to spot me in the darkness. I lay still, then I began to memorize the shadows. It was not a windy night, so the shadows were still. All I had to do was look for movement.

I settled in and waited, for what I did not know.

(Noelle, I think the sound Alekan heard should be Felicia. Perhaps you can move her, Alekan can track her, she can overhear the group talking with Rhyder, then Alekan can catch her. If you had something else in mind, let me know and Alekan will return empty-handed.)
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:06 am
icebender28 says...

Okay, guys, I'm leaving for my trip at 5:00 in the morning, so I won't be able to post until Saturday night. Talk to you later! :smt003
Life is to be lived, not survived.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:06 am
SubjectBlue says...

I'm leaving ti'll august, I'll connect when I can' but don't expect much
'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.' -Stephen G. Tallentyre

"Great minds think alike- idiots are unpredictable"

For Free!
topic86079.html

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1417
Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:56 pm
Noelle says...

Griffin, I was going to bring her in then anyway. :)

Felicia

I ran from bush to bush as the group moved. They eventually scattered which made it harder for me to follow them. Suddenly, and very uncharacteristic of me, I tripped and landed against a bush. One of the group members started and scanned the bushes.

'Great, he heard me.' I thought. I crouched close to the ground, not daring to make another sound.

"Coming Alekon?" one of the members asked. I sat, praying they would both just leave.

"Go ahead and keep going. I'll catch up later. Look for me if I haven't come back in two hours," Alekon responded as he climbed a tree. What was he doing? Had he really seen me; heard me; sensed me? I couldn't take anymore chances. I crawled along the bushes, still hidden from view (I hoped), trying to find a good place to hide until morning.

And that's when I heard the footsteps.

They were soft at first, far off. But then they grew louder, and closer, and that's when I started freaking out. Was it Alekon? Was he somehow able to track me? No, I decided. That would be impossible. I continued on my way, trying to block the noise from my ears. I couldn't. No matter how hard I tried, I heard them; the footsteps, as if they were the beating of my heart.

I was being followed, tracked, stalked. And for the first time in my life, I had been seen when I didn't want to be.

Oh, and my internet is being stupid and I won't be able to use it at times. Hopefully it'll work or I can get to the library more often. I might not be able to post.
Noelle is the name, reviewing and writing cliffhangers is the game.

Writer of fantasy, action/adventure, and magic. Huzzah!

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Steven Wright

YWS is life

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:33 am
sylverdawn says...

*I have a hard time writing in first person. I'm used to third person so I'll stick to that.*

Rhyder:

"In the meantime, I'll start searching these bodies. These soldiers came here for a reason; perhaps there is something here that will tell us why." Rhyder's ears twitched as he heard the Griffin speak in the clearing not far off. No doubt if he found the Captain he might find something about Rhyder and who he was.

"Not something I want to deal with. Time to get out of here." Rhyder decided. Nodding in silent thanks to the Fae boy who had freed him and his companion. The girl was pressed up against a tree trunk. For an instant Rhyder wondered whether she sensed what he was carrying, then he dismissed the thought.

He spread his wings, preparing to take off through the sparse trees of the forests edge. Before he could leave the girl spoke up. "Where are you going? I don't know who you are but no normal person would be carrying around something that emits that much negative energy."

Rhyder smiled the girl was pretty smart and it seemed the boy was no fool either as he added to her reasoning. "For that matter what would a bunch of soldiers want with a halfling Skylord? We just saved your life I think you owe us some answers."

"That is not your concern." Rhyder murmured. He turned again to take flight but swore as the rest of their group emerged from the trees. Great. Now he was even more outnumbered. Worse, the Griffin and Dragon could follow him into the sky.

*Also I figured I would post the Relics and what each one grants. I haven't come up with the curses for the other Relics though, just the mirror's.

The Dark Glass- Mirror- grants magical power- curse of madness
The Dark Band- Ring- grants immortality- curse of ??? (To be clear you can still be injured the Ring simply prevents death)
The Dark Blade- Sword- grants invulnerabilty/assorted physical enhancements- curse of ???
The Dark Book- Book- grants command over all things, legend has it the Dark Book contains the True Names of all living things in Faerie. Like the Ring and the Sword its curse is a mystery.*
DANCE- Like no-one is watching
LOVE- Like you've never been hurt
SING- Like no-one is listening
LIVE- Like it's heaven on earth.

Please read and review my novel. The title is Fireborn. Here's the link.

novel.php?id=1157

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:10 am
Iggy says...

Name: Violet Chamberlain.

Race: Vampire.

Appearance: Long, chocolate brown hair, green eyes, pale skin, willowy figure.

History: Made a vampire over 500 years ago, she is smart and wise. Standing at five feet, six inches, she is a petite one, but don't let that fool you. She's not one bit weak; she's stronger than most men: humans and vampires alike. The most beautiful and ancient of all vampires she's near impossible to call yours. It's been many years since she loved anyone. Living for half a millenium has made her immune to love, compassion, trust.

Personality: She's a polite, anti-social one. She hasn'tfelt love or compassion in 300 years; she's not used to it. She's a drifter, she travels alone. She's awkward and shy around others. She's short-tempered and trusts no one. She's kind and wise, often advises people to do the right thing.

Magic: She can perform all kinds of magic, but she prefers to control water.

Skills: She can ride a horse, fight with a sword, hot-wire a car, shoot an arrow, perform magic on the spot, and pick a lock.

Other: PM if you're interested in dating her.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

863 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:44 am
Griffinkeeper says...

(Mockingjay- You should really read the story before you post a profile for it. An anti-social teenage vampire that can hot wire cars? Consider that there are no cars, the quest involves a group, and that they travel by day. That profile is closer to Twilight than Tolkien.

Noelle- Did you mean "Yes, Alekan can track her and bring her in?" or "No, I'll introduce her myself at a later time?")

Alekan

A warg emerged in the clearing. It sniffed in the air and smelled something. But not me... instead it was tracking something else. I focused on the warg. If it was tracking the group, then I'd take it down. If it was tracking someone else, I'd use it to find them.

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:02 pm
Noelle says...

Griffin- I meant, yes Alekan can track Felicia. Sorry for the confusion!

YWS is life

863 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:28 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Noelle, go ahead and write the scene. I'm going to be out of contact for the next week or so.

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:48 pm
gleek456 says...

(Sorry I didn't post sooner! I was on vacay and didn't get enough time to post.)

Rosalie Levia

As I emerged from the trees, I found Aritha and Kyler... with another person. Although, I'm not sure if it is a person... maybe a demon or angel? He had black wings, but looked like a regular person. Halfling, that's it. I gaped at the sight. Aritha looked at me with a weird look.

"Are you okay?" she asked. I nodded, closed my mouth, and smiled.

"Yes, sorry. I see you made a new friend," I said teasingly to Aritha. She glared at me.

"Not like that. We're trying to find out why this guy is here," Aritha explained with a tone. I nodded like I understood, and turned to the Halfling.

"Who are you?" I asked.

(Hope my portrayal of Aritha and Rhyder is okay! If not, just tell me and I WILL edit.)
YOU'VE GOT THAT ONE THING

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:48 am
Noelle says...

Felicia

I crawled faster, trying to get away from the footsteps. But every time I thought I had lost them I heard them again. What was following me? They didn't sound like human footsteps at all. And that's what scared me the most. What kind of creature was following me?

A squirrel suddenly ran in front of me and jumped through the bush. The footsteps paused for a second, giving me a chance to move. The farther I got, the quieter the footsteps were. I paused, listening, but I couldn't hear them at all. They were gone! I was just about to celebrate my victory when I ran out of bushes to hide behind. What was I going to do? I had to take a chance.

I stood and scanned the area. It didn't look like anyone was around, so I stood. And that's when it jumped down from the tree. I yelped and backed away. Standing in front of me was a gryphon, definitely not what I was expecting to see.

"Well, hello there," he said. "I thought I heard something in the bushes..."

I didn't give him a chance to finish. Turning my back to him, I ran faster than I ever had before. I didn't know who that guy was, or why he had followed me, but it couldn't have been for a good reason. And what if he was from that group of soldiers I had seen earlier? They definitely weren't the good guys.

"Hey, wait up!" he called after me, but I kept running. Maybe I could lose him. I ran for a while and then paused to catch my breath. Bending over, hands on my knees, I stared at my feet. They were blistered and cut from my attempted escape. A pair of tallons wandered their way into my vision.

"You're a fast runner. Too bad you ran right into my camp."

I looked up to see the gryphon staring at me. Looking around, I see the group I had watched fight earlier. They were scattered around the clearing, but everyone was staring at the same thing; me.

"I'm Alekon," the gryphon said.

"Felicia."

"What are you doing here?" someone else asked. I took a deep breath and led into my story. I told them how I had come across the mystical object, how I went into hiding and then left my hiding spot. I told them how I had been following them for days now, wondering if I would ever be brave enough to introduce myself.

"So," I said. "Can I join you guys?"
Last edited by Noelle on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YWS is life

they say money can't buy happiness, but what they don't realize is that money *can* buy novelty socks.
— blueca