z

Young Writers Society

Journey to The Safety Zone- Started - OPEN

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:55 am
winterbites says...

YAAAAY!
I've got you under a spell and I don't think I'll be letting you out~ If Only She Knew Voodoo Like I Do, Get Scared.

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:01 am
View Likes
therealme says...

Okay who wants to start it off?
"It is our Light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

Reviews: 0
Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:06 am
View Likes
ninjacookies says...

C: Okay, Awesome. You guys are all in! We can start writing tomorrow if you guys wan't.
(Or today maybe... if everyone goes and checks into the DT so I know your all up to date with everything... or just- y'know- here.)

Anyhow Here's a link to the DT, so if you have ANY questions or want to put up random idea's for what you think should happen or anything then this would be the place. :P
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=200&t=97656

I've added a couple more places just in case anybody else wants to join (the more the merrier or something along those lines...) but don't worry, that won't stop us from starting this.

Thanks to everyone for joining. C:

304 Reviews

Reviews: 304
Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:46 pm
View Likes
barefootrunner says...

Me wanna join! Me! Me! Pick me! Is there still a spot open for me? :)
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:50 pm
View Likes
ninjacookies says...

Okay :) There are still 2 spots so just get your profile up and check the DT. (a lot is happening there :D )

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:06 am
View Likes
ToBeMe says...

So Excited!!! :) When Is this starting?
EVERY DAY MIGHT NOT BE GOOD...
BUT THERE IS SOMETHING GOOD IN EVERY DAY.

Don't be sorry your darkness is gone. I'll carry it for you.
Always. I'll keep it with mine.

Gotta catch em all!

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:52 am
View Likes
umaima says...

@ToBeMe It's starting tom. as ninjacookies mentioned before... I am so waiting for it to start
“The strong person is not the one who can wrestle someone else down. The strong person is the one who can control himself when he is angry.”

“It is better to sit alone than in company with the bad; and it is better still to sit with the good than alone.”

304 Reviews

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:06 pm
View Likes
barefootrunner says...

Name: Ayumi

Appearance: Ayumi is Japanese, with straight, black hair cut into a bob with a knife. She has slanted brown eyes and a small, upturned nose. She is of average height, with few curves and a small bust. Her limbs are thin but muscled, with not an inch of fat to them. She wears loose khaki pants and a tank top. She is very attached to her old running watch which she has kept from childhood, which works with solar power and is slightly battered by now. She speaks English with an Asian accent, and often not very well.

Personality: Ayumi is highly biased against men, and regards them with contempt. Since the end of the world, she has witnessed many cases of sexual assault and only just escaped becoming a victim herself. This has given her a deep, ingrained hate for men. Ayumi is cool and sharp, not really a team player and she tends to ignore people she does not consider important, except if she takes a liking to them. She is very tough, and does not break down easily. She considers injuries a sign of weakness and this can lead her to hide any injuries to her own body.

Skills: Ayumi is a skilled medic. She uses a mixture of acupuncture, massage, traditional medicine and conventional medical practice to treat her patients. Her knowledge of acupuncture, however, also allows her to kill with a stab to the base of the brain with an acupuncture needle. She keeps a single, slightly adapted needle at the ready in her pocket for this specific use. Ayumi is fit overall, but not exceptionally skilled in fighting or any other art. She knows enough to get by, though. She is also a skilled sailor and can dive for prolonged periods of time, as well as being able to keep her eyes open under salt water.

Up For Love: Against her better judgement, Ayumi can find herself unfortunately attracted to men. She tries to deny it, though, and will put up a strong fight.

Other: None I can think of.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:48 am
View Likes
ninjacookies says...

Alright. Your in :) Just check out the DT.

304 Reviews

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:05 am
View Likes
barefootrunner says...

I'll post my relationships soon!

304 Reviews

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:47 am
View Likes
barefootrunner says...

Ayumi

Ayumi knelt at the edge of the cliff, staring into the water, trying to deduce what it was hiding. Then, in a single fluid movement, she stood and dived. From far away, she might have appeared as a bird in flight. She plummeted into the water with a barely audible splash and immediately opened her eyes, pulling her body further into the murky depths by the stipes of giant kelp. Kelp could growth to a height of about 60m, but these were in shallower water, she hoped. She squinted through the silky fronds—if she was lucky, she might run into a shark. Sharks were a valuable catch to the remaining inhabitants of the island. Their rough hides, dried, could be used as files, or to increase the grip on shoes. And the extra second bought by the skin of a shark, might be the second standing between you and death itself. The teeth and cartilage were always in high demand and the flesh and intestines had numerous uses.

She pushed further. This was the dark zone, where shapes were indistinct and the rubble of the Old Days might be caught in the algae. Ayumi extended a blind hand onto the rocky seabed and grasped something hard and thin, perhaps a pole. This was a lucky find indeed. She drew it from the seabed, found with disappointment that it was quite short and stuck it in her pocket. She looked up into the lighter waters and saw a movement. Maybe a fish. She released her grip on the kelp and shot with explosive energy from the depths. Her breath was thin in any case, but speed was a deciding factor in catching fish by hand. Its tail slapped her face, she ripped a hand through the gills, and the fish was dead before it knew it.

Ayumi surfaced with a hiss of air like a seal, and a sheet of seaweed on her head. She pulled it off and almost threw it away, but then she noticed that it was a piece of paper with writing on it. She kept it in her free hand. The surf was gentle, so she allowed the waves to carry her to shore, where she examined her prizes.
The fish she threw onto the beach turned out to be a Port Jackson shark of about two feet. The pole she dug out of her pocket. It was an aluminum tube, inside which she found an uncorroded knife. This was her best find for the day. The sheet of paper was next. It had miraculously survived the journey and seemed intact, with the ink still fixed to the page. Ayumi stroked it in mixed reverence and suspicion. The words were English, but she squinted at the letters until she could decode their meaning. Then she whipped her head around. Someone was watching her. She had felt it in the back of her neck, but now she was certain. But hen she controlled herself. This person was going to judge her on her behaviour now. Maybe it was time to show off.

Spoiler! :
This okay? :)

60 Reviews

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:59 am
View Likes
therealme says...

~Alison~

“Come back here you thief!”
Alison sprinted for her life down the quiet, empty street with an exuberant grin spread wide across her face. Behind her came a middle-aged man running furiously after her with a riffle gun. Alison was too focused on getting the hell away from the guy to pay much attention to what he was yelling at her, but she could pick up quite a few swear words.
Not another soul was in sight.
Alison bolted diagonally across the deserted road towards the opposite side of the street. All sorts of rubbish littered the area, clogging up the gutters and blowing away with the wind. Old ruins of skyscrapers towered over her in dangerous angles. Alison could almost hear the buildings beg for gravity to let them fall to the ground and crumble to death. Alison didn’t blame them. The weather in the city could be so brutal.
Alison reached the other side of the road and kept moving. Further down the street she raced, past the shattered glass windows that used to belong to busy little shops.
Bang!
A bullet soared past Alison’s ear and hit the rusty signpost in front of her. Shit, that bastard’s trying to kill me! Alison’s smile was gone, replaced by an urgency to find cover. She forced her feet to move faster.
“Stop! I order you to stop!” shouted the angry man. He was making his way across the road towards Alison.
Alison glanced over her shoulder to see how far away the guy was. It looked as if he was slowly falling behind.
Sure, he had a gun, but Alison was faster than him. She couldn’t help but laugh at how silly the man looked with his exhausted red face and wheezing breath.
Bang!
Immediately Alison regretted laughing at him. The second bullet came extremely close to her left leg and smashed the pathway tile she had just recently stepped on. Damn, he has pretty good aim.
Alison turned a sharp right down a narrow ally way, skidding round the corner and only just missing the third bullet the man shot at her. She looked ahead and her feet screeched to a standstill.
Dead end. Two huge dumpsters blocked off the other end of the ally.
Great, now what? Alison listened to the man’s footfall get closer and closer. I am so dead.
The man chasing Alison came around the corner and appeared in the ally way. His angry expression flipped to one of amusement as soon as he saw Alison in front of him. “Well, well, well… looks like someone got themselves trapped. Who’s laughing now, eh?” He swung his riffle carelessly by his side.
Alison eyed the riffle nervously and backed away as the man stepped closer towards her. “That’s a nice looking gun you’ve got there…” she said to him.
The guy smirked at this. “Yes, almost as nice as the dagger you stole from my collection just a few moments ago.”
“I would hardly call it stealing when it’s already been stolen,” Alison said, reaching behind her back to readily pull the dagger out of her jean pocket.
The man shrugged at her. “Touché, but two wrongs don’t make a right. Here’s the deal, girly, hand the dagger over or I kill ya,” he said and lifted the riffle to a shooting position.
“Look, I’m sure we can just talk this over like civilized people. No one needs to get hurt.” She gave the man one of her most innocent smiles.
For a moment it seemed like he was going to agree with her, then he shook his head as if he was trying to clear it. “Wait a second, I’ve heard of you! You’re that little persuasive bitch everyone talks about.”
Alison’s smile dropped like a hot potato. Uh oh. That was her last resort.
The guy stepped even closer towards her, making her back up until her back was pressed against one of the dumpsters.
“Game over,” the man said, aiming the riffle to the middle of Alison’s head.
Alison gripped the dagger tightly in her hand behind her back. She hated killing people, but it looked like she had no other choice.
Suddenly the man froze in fear. Alison watched his face pale and hands start to shake. What in the world?
Dropping his gun, the man took off at a fast pace straight out of the ally and back the way he came. He was gone just like that.
An unbearable smell took hold of Alison’s senses. It was so bad she felt like being sick. What was going on? Distant moaning sounds could be heard from all around the area. And that’s when it hit her.
Mutants.

Spoiler! :
I've got another part ready to go if no one else has one. I hope this was okay :)
Last edited by therealme on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:46 am
View Likes
winterbites says...

Gabriel sat on the edge of his favourite cliff looking out to the vast sea. The water level had being rising fairly high. Soon he would have anywhere to come and think about his late mother. This is where he buried her, just like she requested. It pained him to think, in just a few short days, this land will have gone down.

His mother was taken over by the "Disease"; as much as Gab loved and still loves his mum, he was happy she died instead of turning into a mutant. From what he had heard, they are monsters. He'd never actually seen one up close, so he wasn't too sure what to think about them.

Gabriel got to his knees a peered over the cliff, it seemed like if he stretched just a little more, he could run his pale hand through the chilling water. But to his surprise the water wasn't as high as he thought. Maybe he'll still have a few more days left.

Gab was about to leave when a small piece of yellowed paper made its way slowly to Gabriel's finger tips. He tried to grab it, but it silently slipped through his fingers, teasing him. Gab lost his balance for a second there, but re-gained it back. The paper floated around him, almost like it was dancing with the wind. He huffed a reached for it again, this time grasping it tightly. The thick black ink had dried and spelt out the works "Safety Zone" Then a small printed list instructions for him.

Gabriel stood up briskly and shoved the pater in his pocket. He wanted to survive this... Even if he had to trust this, stupid bit of paper.

Spoiler! :
Hope diss is alright! c: Sorry its so short compared to the others. I guess, I kinda keep mine short-ish..c:
I've got you under a spell and I don't think I'll be letting you out~ If Only She Knew Voodoo Like I Do, Get Scared.

60 Reviews

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:19 am
View Likes
therealme says...

Spoiler! :
This is the second part i wrote. i didn't put it with the other post because it would have been too long. Please don't hate me :P

~Alison~

Alison ran out of the small ally way and out into the open street again.
She had never seen so many mutants together in her life. It was unusual for this many of them to be in the same place. Normally they travelled solo, or at the most in groups of three. She was looking at twenty or so of the ugly looking things, and they were coming at her from all directions.
They started to circle Alison, blocking every possibility of her escaping. Wow, I never knew they could be so smart. Alison had her dagger fully visible now. She spun around inside the circle of mutants, summing up her chances of getting out alive. Not that good. “What are you waiting for?” she shouted at them, “Come at me, already!”
Probably not the wisest thing to say.
Slowly the mutants broke from their circle and moved towards Alison. They snarled and groaned at her, raising their arms out in front of them stupidly. Alison had to hold her breath to keep the smell of death from overwhelming her.
One of the uglier looking mutants lunged at Alison.
With one slash of her dagger Alison slit its throat, watching the sticky black goo gush out from its wound. The mutant fell to the ground. One down, nineteen more to go.
Alison’s fighting instincts kicked in.
Her movements were a blur as she took each mutant down one at a time. She struck each mutant with epic violence; a violence she’d forgotten she had. Her adrenalin was high.
Alison stabbed a mutant straight in the heart just as another one showed up beside her and tore at her clothes. Alison was officially pissed off. She dove straight at the new mutant and decapitated it in a matter of seconds, black blood spilling everywhere.
A slimy hand came from behind her head and grasped her mouth forcefully. Gross. Alison sliced the hand covering her mouth, removing it from the owner’s body. She spun around to face the mutant and her eyes widened. “Sarah?”
Alison recognized the mutant as a girl she had once known in the Olden Days. They had been friends.
Sarah brought her other hand forward to tear at Alison’s top. Sarah didn’t feel any pain from her missing hand. If fact, Alison didn’t think Sarah had even noticed it was missing. Gripping Alison’s shoulder, Sarah leaned in for the kill.
This snapped Alison out of her shock. Sarah doesn’t exist anymore. The real Sarah is dead. Feeling assured, Alison shoved Sarah the mutant off her with all the strength she possessed. Sarah stumbled back a little, and then started coming for Alison again, letting out a brainless moan.
With one swift leap Alison tackled Sarah, dagger in hand. Alison brought the dagger up above her head a drove it through Sarah’s heart. Sarah stopped moving – she was gone.
Alison stood up and observed the scene, catching her breath. She dragged her long sleeve over her mouth to remove the slime that Sarah’s hand had given her. Alison had managed to kill every single mutant. She never would have thought it could be possible. Sweat trickled down from her forehead.
Looks like you got yourself a new record, Ali. Her father’s voice echoed inside her head. One of the corners of Alison’s mouth quirked upwards into a half smile.
Black goo leaked from the many mutant bodies lying on the road, forming large sticky puddles. Alison walked around these puddles carefully. Last thing she needed was mutant blood soaking through her shoes.
Squelch. She’d spoken too soon.
“You’ve got to be kidding me,” said Alison in exasperation. Her right foot was now covered in sticky blackness. She shook her foot like a cat with a wet paw. What a perfect day this has been.
Alison walked out of the blood stained street and over to an old, lonely park. She remembered how the park used to be filled with children’s laughter. That memory felt like a dream now, it was so long ago. All that remained was the creaking sound of rusty metal as the wind pushed invisible people back and forth on the playground swings.
Before reaching the park Alison stopped. Something off the ground had stuck itself onto her right shoe. Alison sighed. She lifted her right leg to meet her hand and pulled the thing away from the soul of her shoe. It was a piece of paper, but this was no ordinary piece of paper. It was a rare white colour. Brand new. That’s weird. Alison turned the paper over and read what it said. Hope lit up her eyes like a spark of fire.
Someone wanted to save her. All she had to do was give them a reason to do so. This was going to be fun.
Last edited by therealme on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:39 am
View Likes
littleauthor says...

Q

The dirt was wet and gross, but I didn't mind. I sat on the edge of the forest next to Z and we waited for our recruits to arrive. I slowly stretched and reached my hands well past my toes. I swung my leg back and did the splits as Z checked the area for mutants.

"Q, get ready, they're here!" Z screamed at me as he ran back towards out tiny camp. I hopped up as quick as I could and pulled my hunting knife out of my boot. I held it firmly in my left hand (yes Q is left handed), and waited for their attack. Then I saw them.

A huge cluster of mutants stumbling this way, some faster than others, and they looked hungry. Z had a look on his face that told me he was ready to fight. I smirked and ran towards the mutants picking up speed. The mutants didn't stop even when I jumped and sliced the head off of one of them. Z was right next to me shooting his pistol. I slid my knife into my belt and went on to fighting. I kicked and punched my way though the mob killing mutants along the way with my swift moves.

"Q, watch out!" Z screamed at me as a mutant came rushing towards me. I dodged it and pulled out my knife again smoothly slicing off the mutant's hand. It didn't even seem to notice. I kept on swiping off parts of the mutants body till it only had 1 leg, body, and head. I smirked and cut off its head in one single jab. Z had finished off the rest of the mutants so I walked back over to him.

"Well that was fun. " I said bending over to catch my breath. Z nodded as he bent over too. I slowly stood straight up again and slid my knife back into my boot. I sighed and felt something gooey drip down my hand. I looked at my hand to see where one of Z bullets had skimmed me. I groaned even though it didn't hurt and ripped of a part of my already torn tee-shirt. I tied it off and looked up for Z. He had left.

"Z!" I screamed looking fiercely around for him. He came walking out of the forest about a minute later with a smile on his face.

"Z, where the hell where you?" I asked putting my hands on my hips still recovering. He laughed and held up a dead rabbit.

"Geeze Q, I was just getting dinner. " He sat down and started to cut away the fur from the rabbit. I nodded and sat down next to him making a fire. After 20 good minutes of cooking our rabbit it seemed pretty good so we ate. All I wanted for our recruits to hurry up and come already.
It's better to be WEIRD than boring

"Rumors?" "Yes. Terrible things. Grow on men like warts." "Tumors?" "Both. Look, there is talk about you."
— Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings