z

Young Writers Society

Lucky Thirteen (Started)

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:35 pm
wonderland says...

Kaede

My horse, Kimmer, stood still as I mounted him.
"Good boy." I murmured. Then I turned to look at Shadow and Ashrae, the two who would be under my command. I got shivers whenever I thought of it. Me, being in charge of two other people. I smiled ruefully. I could handle them, I knew it.

Rhos
I idly played with my hair, proudly sitting on top of Moonlight. I was ready to go, now just inspecting my perfect self for any flaws. There weren't any. I conjured up a small blue ball of magic and played with it as I began to sing, quietly.
'We will never believe again, kick drum beating in my chest again, oh, we will never believe in anything again, preach electric to a microphone stand.'

*Formerly wickedwonder*

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:42 pm
Dragonet says...

Ashrae~Fighter

Michiko wasn't the only one who didn't feel comfortable about the carriage, only, unlike her, I was hesitant because I didn't trust the horses. For some reason, I didn't like the beasts. Maybe it was because of the several bad child memories I had of falling off of them, or maybe it was because they smelled, or because they weighed hundreds more pounds then me, or because they could kick someone hard enough to break bones. Well, whatever the reason, I wasn't comfortable being in a carriage drawn by them. But I suppose there was nothing I could do about it, and besides being in a carriage was somewhat safer then riding one.

So, I managed to drain my face of fear, and stepped into the bunk. It was pretty crowded, holding thirteen people and all, and I looked around for a place to sit. I caught site of Shadow, my fellow fighter, and I moved to sit on one side of him (the other side was occupied by a girl that was rumored to be deaf). I didn't know Shadow to well, but at least he was in my rank, and I felt closer to him then anyone here.

A couple more people piled in, and then the doors shut and the driver gave the command for the horses to go. When they jolted to a start, I flinched and closed my eyes. When I opened them again, Shadow was watching me. It was then that I noticed that I had squeezed his knee. I quickly jerked it away, and blushed, "Oh, sorry."

He laughed airily, "It's ok. Did the horses spook ya?"

"What? No. I'm not-" but he gave me a look that said he didn't believe one word of it. I bowed my head to hide my face in my bangs, "Well...kinda." He must think I'm such a chicken.
Just then we hit a bump in the road and one of the horses winied. I started to go for his leg again, but stopped myself and clenched my fist instead. He laughed again.
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

Do you have any idea why a raven is like a writing desk?

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:31 am
Calligraphy says...

Shadow

I studied the girls face again as I chuckled at her. What was her name again? Ashrae, Ash. She was pretty with a slim body, silky hair, and beautiful yellowy green eyes. Her lashes were a mixture between blonde and brown almost a silver. I wanted to hold her and protect her from the world, but I felt that way about almost every beautiful girls I saw. Not the 'hot' ones though. The difference between a hot girl and a beautiful girl was that the hot girls knew they were hot and used it.

Ash tucked her bangs behind her ear playing nervously with the sleeve of her shirt and she fidgeted.
"Hey, calm down. I don't bite too hard." She looked up and gave the tiniest smile. "Better. Now just sit back and enjoy the ride. We have a long way ahead of us." I glanced over at Upala. She was staring out the tiny window. I pulled a small strand of her hair and she looked over. I gave her one of my lopsided smiles and she laughed at me for being such an idiot.

"Whatcha looking at?" She pointed at the smoke in the distance. It was coming from a town a few miles away. They were known for their factories. Upala's face was cast downward her lips sort of pinched together. Was it sad? Or bitter? I wasn't sure and she didn't say anything. I wondered if she just wanted to be left alone. She pointed again, and then to the place wear her heart could be. I saw her hand tremble a little and I took it. "What's wrong?" She shook her hand and pulled her hand away. She met my eyes for a few seconds and seemed to be searching them, but she turned away to gain stare at the distant place. I just stared at the back of her head for a few minutes wondering what was wrong and why she turned away. Girls usually didn't do that to me. Or well the girls that trusted me. Maybe that was it. Maybe she just needed some time to get to know me before she told me everything. I on the other hand usually told all. My problems were open for the world to see. I slowly turned back to Ash. She was watching me.

"So she is deaf?"

"Yeah. But, she lip reads pretty well. I wonder how she learned magic though. That would be really hard." Ash paused, she seemed to think how to say what she wanted to.

"But, when you want something that bad, you will do anything to get it. I am sure she worked long hours you know. I glanced at the other people to make sure they were having their own conversations. I never wanted something that bad. I only practiced what I found myself good at and even then it was minimal. When I got to the point where it really took effort I would stop. I hated doing the same thing every day and reaching goals. Not just because it was work, though I was lazy it was also because of the grind. Failing, failing is the part I just hated. Not reaching those goals, and my reaction was to not make goals. But, of course I would look stupid if I said this so instead I gave the short,

"I guess," then after a second, "have you ever felt that way about something?"
Last edited by Calligraphy on Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

25 Reviews

Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:48 pm
Dragonet says...

Ashrae~Fighter

"Have you ever felt that way about something?" Shadow asked.

I shrugged, "Fighting, I guess. I mean, even before I knew I was to be one of Protectoribus, I knew I was a fighter. There was just something about fighting that made me feel whole." I shrugged again; I wondered if what I said made any sense.

>Sorry it's so short, but I have to go<
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:23 pm
aweqs says...

Spoiler! :
Haha! I thought that post from Shadow was from Blake and I was like, whattt? xD Dont forget to label your posts guys, like below :3

Upala | Carriage

Ugh. I hate them -them being the Yidan Factories. The excessive smoke which poured out of the huge chimneys, smothering and choking the world. I could almost feel the pure air trying to get away from the pollution. Also, since atleast half my magic relied on clean air, I was restricted in especially polluted places. My mouth formed a pinched, straight line of dissaproval.

Anyway, I was happy to be by the window; it meant I could pass the time by watching the scenery slide by. Being deaf was pretty bad, but I'd always been grateful that I'd lost that sense rather than my sight. Sight was everything in this world- especially a mage's world.

I felt a small tug on my hair, and spun round to find Shadow giving me a goofy smile. I chuckled.
"Watcha looking at?" his lips read. I pointed to the factories, the frown reappearing on my face and the anger back in my heart. Although he seemed to understand, I tried to explain more by pointing again, then with a shaking hand I held my necklace.
I'm not sure how he took that, but he took my hand in his, and said, "Whats wrong?"
I just shook my head lightly, and pulled my hand out of his, returning to the window.

I avoided the pugent smoke which drifted above the town of Yidan, and focused on the hills and flowers beside the track. Im not claustraphobic, but I've always prefered being out in the air, rather than inside a stuffy room-- or carriage in this case.
Ofcourse, the seaside wins hands down against the countryside. I felt a pang of guilt and regret at the thought of my old home, and my non-official foster father. He had always been so kind, so knowledgable.

Without the old mage, I would not be here today, I thought. I had never even thought about my parents, or missed them, I had been so content.
The only way I knew that I had royal blood, is from the brief note from my mother which was found with me on the beach. To be honest, I've always been happy that I was abandoned in that boat; who would want to live with parents who didnt want you, just because your handicapped?
I realized then that me and Blake, the princess, had a something major in common- we had both started life unwanted.

I turned to look at the miserable huddle, whose heaving shoulders showed she was sobbing. I saw a little glint of her eyes through the crack of her folded arms, so I gave her a quick smile, although I knew she would think me a pompous, fake person for it.

/Isha:/= To be honest, we are talking about mostly nothing which in its own essence is something. But somethingness can't be nothing if there isn't nothing in the first place. So really, we're talking about meaningly somethingness that's technically caused by nothingness.

The Smiley Spammer

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:05 pm
Sassafras says...

Octavian

I watched with a smile as everyone conversed and interacted. The only person still sad was the princess next to me, she was huddled in the corner and her shoulders were shaking slightly from what I knew was crying. With a small fown that didn't last long, I put a hand on her shoulder as a sign of comfort. She jerked away from the touch and crumpled in more on herself. I just sighed and turned to Primula.

"She's taking it tough," I whispered. Pri nodded and punched my arm lightly.

"Of course she is," she replied. "Wouldn't you?" I nodded in understanding and pulled out my flute again, blowing a few notes in another attempt to comfort the child. We were getting closer to the mage's shop and before long-

"We're here," I sang. Everyone turned around and the carriage stopped. I was the first one out, stretching my legs and back. Oh, it was so cramped in there. Michi pulled up on her horse and hopped off, Mikael found his place beside me and I waited until everyone was out and ready. Damien, the leader of all leaders, got off last and walked until he was standing near me, Upala not too far behind. Everyone grouped around their leaders and once everyone was situated I opened my mouth to speak.

"This is the shop of the old mage, she will give us the jewel and from there we will go to the country to start our journey. If I could, I would like to ask everyone except for the Princess and Leader Damien to stay and wait out here." Damien nodded before starting inside the shop and the Princess just grumbled before walking forward. I followed behind them and walked inside.

The shop smelled strongly of cinnamon candles and some other strange smell that I couldn't put my finger on. The mage was sitting in a tall brown leather chair that was way to big for her, the case was in her hands and he was smiling gently. She already knew of our arrival.

"Greetings," she said. Her voice was dry and cracked. I bowed.

"Lady Kagame, it's nice to meet you." The mage stood and slowly made her way over to where the three of us stood.

"The same. You must be Damien," she said, walking up to the Leader and patting his face lightly. He scowled briefly before fixing his expression and bowing.

"That I am." Kagame moved on to the Princess and put a hand on her shoulder.

"Any you, the sacrifice." I flinched at the way she said it, so plainly. I thought the term but would never call the Princess that to her face.

"Ah, Lady Kagame-" She just laughed at me and shook her head.

"Hold your tounge, child. Now, shall we get this thing open? You have lots to do and a long ways to go and wasting your time in my dusty old shop won't be good for your mission." And with that, she turned and walked into a back room walled off by strings and beads. I sighed inwardly before following her lead.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

Random avatar

Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:59 pm
Calligraphy says...

Blake Savage

I frowned as the carriage jerked to a halt. Blake, suck it up I told myself. When I told myself to do something I usually do it for some unknown reason, and this time was no different. Though everyone had seen me cry already, something I had not planned to let them see, I wouldn't let it happen again. I stepped out of the carriage wishing there was some way to fix my slightly puffy eyes. I gazed at Upala the quiet girl who had smiled at me in the carriage, then I had only given her a scowl in return, but I hated owing someone and I felt burdened with this girls kindness if not the others. I wished I had some way to repay her.

Every one was so awkward around me. They are went into their groups leaving me alone. I glared at Octavian, unlike Upala there was not even a twinge of guilt or the feeling of debt towards him. I hated when people talked about me when I wasn't there. Did he think just because I was gonna get killed I was deaf? I perked my ears for the other voice that had spoken about me. I heard it and locked eyes with the girl for a second. Her eyes were light, but when she saw my expression her eyes turned cold. But, then her eyes flitted away, obviously she wasn't going to give me the fight.

"This is the shop of the old mage, she will give us the jewel and from there we will go to the country to start our journey. If I could, I would like to ask everyone except for the Princess and Leader Damien to stay and wait out here." Octavian said forcing me to look at him. Ugg I was stuck with these two? Really? I swore under my breath cursing them to vent my anger.

As son as I stepped into the shop I was calmed. It smelled of cinnamon, spices, vanilla, wool, fresh baked bread, hay, and a mixture of a million other things. The old woman I assumed to be the mage was sitting in a brown leather chair. It completely enveloped her thin and bony frame. She looked completely malnourished but I was sure it just came with her old age. I looked around the shop in wonder. Freshly baked bread was laid on a table, books lined the walls, not on shelves, but in random stacks. There were bottles of all shapes and sizes with all sorts of things in them from blue liquid to buttons. Yarn trailed out of baskets and there was a large loom in one corner. A fireplace slowly burned in another. There were piles of different weapons, shields, and armor as well.

"Greetings," she said. Octavian and Damien bowed, but even if this shop calmed most of my fears I wasn't gonna bow to an old lady that was part of the group. The group that wanted me killed.

"Lady Kagame, it's nice to meet you." The mage stood and picked her way towards us.

"The same. You must be Damien," she said, walking up to the Leader and patting his face lightly. He scowled briefly before fixing his expression and bowing.

"That I am." The woman walked over to me.

"And you, the sacrifice." I stood stalk still afraid I might punch her in the face if I moved a muscle.

"Ah, Lady Kagame-" Only my eyes moved to see the speaker. I tried to tell him that it didn't matter I didn't want his puny help, but the old lady laughed shaking her head,

"Hold your tongue, child. Now, shall we get this thing open? You have lots to do and a long ways to go and wasting your time in my dusty old shop won't be good for your mission." I actually smiled at the woman who called me a sacrifice. I loved her more for saying that to Damien then I hated her for being so unthoughtful. Maybe I would rather have them be unthoughtful than walk on glass around me. Nah I thought if anyone else said that I would have to punch them in the face. She turned and walked away and I followed after Damian and Octavian.

Before I passed through the beads that sectioned the other room off though my hand slipped into an open glass bowl. I pulled out three sticks of some sort of candy. I looked up to find no one looking so I slipped my other hand into a wooden bowl and grabbed a small brown package of some sort. I stuffed everything into my pocket and quickly caught up. We passed through more beads, then went down a very small old stairway that creaked, and through another sires of rooms until we reached a very small one. It like all the others was completely cluttered, but perfectly clean. We had entered through the only actual door so far and it had been locked. Once inside I realized why. This room was full of beautiful jewels and rocks. Some on jewelry others were engraved in chairs, cups, tables, dolls, anything you can think of. There was one corner with big rocks that were still jagged and untouched. I searched the room looking for some special place where a jewel of such great importance would be, and when the mage stooped down and opened a box full of all different sorts of rocks I was surprised. She dug around for a moment searching then pulled out two rocks. They were both blue. She held one up and my breath sort of sucked in. It was truly beautiful and it somehow shone from within. The jewel went right past my face and into Damian's hands. I scowled as he tucked the rock into his cloak. "azurite" She said, "maybe not the best of rocks or even the most rare or expensive, but as we can see it is by far the most important. and," she held up the next rock, "turquoise. For you, the sacrifice." I held out my hand and she dropped the rock in. It was cool and smooth. "Now get out." She shooed us out the door back through the rooms up the stairs and into the fresh air again. With only words like "go" and "now". But, as the other two stepped out she pulled my arm back. Then she pulled the candy out of my pockets and the brown package. She slipped the latter into her pocket but she handed back the candy, "For you" she said. I smiled knowing that any old woman would have done the same. "Enjoy them." Later I realized if she had just added three words "while you can." it would have caused me to topple off the cliff of life into depression, but she only kissed her fingers and pressed them to my forehead then pushed me out of the door.

I clenched tightly on to the candy and took a deep breath.

Note the jewel:
Spoiler! :

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:13 pm
Skull3670 says...

Mikael

I stood quietly through the kings speech and when the time came i opted for the carriage, my unstrung bow and arrows in my quiver wrapped up and placed under my seat.
The fear in the girls eyes upset me somewhat. I had seen that look. The inescapable knowledge on her innocent face that she had to die. I had seen it before before on the face of the boy i had killed. I had held him cradled in my arms while the light went out behind his chocolate brown eyes.
I was pulled from my melancholy with a jolt as we pulled up outside the womans shop. As the other clambered out i surrepticiously checked the knife in my boot.
"Better to be safe than sorry" i chuckled to myself and followed the others inside.
I have looked into the eye of the storm and stared it down. I am an adrenaline junky and i know no fear.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:52 pm
aweqs says...

Upala | Camping | Night

The day went quickly; the clear blue sky turning into a pink and purple sunset, then a star-spotted nightsky.
We had set up our tents ontop of a hill, in a circle. Two people in each tent, sharing. I would of shared with Damien, him being my closest friend here. It wouldnt of been awkward- Damien and I have had to share in alot worse conditions in our time. However, he was first on patrol.

Two of us were left on patrol at all times throughout the night. Damien and Ashrae were up first, and after they had done fours hours they would go to sleep, leaving the guarding up to Michi and Rhos for the rest of the night. We would sleep eight hours every night, the patrollers- just four.

Ofcourse, the patrollers would be different every night, and each pair would share a tent that night, as to not wake others.
This night, I was sharing with Blake, since a mage had to be near her constantly. She didnt seem too happy about it, but didnt make much a fuss, just the occasional glare.

To be honest, it was uncomfortable. I didnt know if I should make conversation, or just leave her be. Should I try and spark up a friendship, or will my friendliness be thrown back in my face?
I was quiet. If she wanted to be friends, she could make the first move, and break the awkwardness.

Spoiler! :
Introducing new character. His profile is in the DT :3

Walter | Forest Clearing | Night

The dark smoke swirled infront of me, showing a scene of earlier today, within; an old dusty shop, two men and a girl, and the blue jewels shining brightly, its colour so vibrant it pierced the smoke and glowed. So beautiful.

"The Thirteen had reached the mage's shop, and retrieved the jewel." I announced, to no one in particular, " It is finally unprotected, and ready to capture." An evil smile grew on my face, and I snickered.

The group... were well equipped, to be sure. The physical side of the protectoribus would be no problem for me, but the mages worried me, epecially with my army. The leader was strong and sharp, well educated in magic. The black-haired girl was vain, but also powerful and capable. The blonde has the potential to be extremely powerful and has more magic within her, but it is undiscovered and undeveloped. But the leader worried me most; he uses a very special type of magic- that of sunlight. I am inexperience in defending myself from it, plus, light always wins over shadow and darkness. Unless, ofcourse, it is taken by suprise...

I crumbled the dry soil beneath my bare toes. The tall trees were immense around me. It was pitch black; fortunately, my eyes have been long adjusted to darkness, so I could see perfectly.

In the dark there are no limits. In the dark the possibilities are endless. You can let it overwhelm you, and wonder... wonder what the world would be like if it was yours. How could you not love it? There has always ben a dreamer inside of me; I dreamt of a world of death and pain, where I ruled, and the glittering Dragon's Jewel fed me its power. A world I would soon have.

The smoke dispersed and I started walking. I liked to travel by night, and sleep in daytime. I was a vampire, or atleast in the real sense of the word.

I walked briskly, and determindely. I was going to get this jewel, I was going to get my power, and I was looking forward to the pain I would have to inflict to get it.
My first stop was Grudan, infamously known for its brutal warriors in the Civil War of M'derta, 200 years ago.

Yes. Those warriors would be perfect for my army...

/Isha:/= To be honest, we are talking about mostly nothing which in its own essence is something. But somethingness can't be nothing if there isn't nothing in the first place. So really, we're talking about meaningly somethingness that's technically caused by nothingness.

The Smiley Spammer

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:26 pm
LaceyDreadth says...

Michiko

I adored being on watch alone. It was a time to use what I’d learn from experience and become absolutely silent and virtually invisible. Being stuck with the vainest person in the entire world was not my idea of a good time. Not only did she know she was the best but she knew the best way to annoy me: making noise.

If she couldn’t blast me with magic, I would have told her off in the scary whisper I’d acquired after years of threatening dangerous criminals. As I was a girl, big, scary men didn’t find me intimidating so I needed to find away. So I didn’t have many friends and I sat in a lot of dark corners, staring. The mystery surrounding me gave me credit. The fact that I never lost it and just screamed at people helped.

This chick, though, I was glad when we would patrol on my own. Unless she used magic, Miss I’m-better-than-you wouldn’t be able to find me. Ever. That’s why I wasn’t very fond of mages. I knew it took years of practice to master magic, just like with my archery, but it felt like cheating.

The thought stoked a small ember of anger which I converted into energy, which I used to scan the area. My ears caught everything and I used pure experience to identify the makers of the sound. I heard a snap and winced, freezing in place. It was definitely human and I let the trees and the darkness be my cover and the mage walked a few feet in front of me, muttering about mud and her dress.

“You do know that you’re telling EVERything here that you’re here, right?” I kept my voice down, barely stirring the air.

Rhos flinched, then turned, in the same moment, with something akin to anger and shock.

“Is that a hobby of yours? Scaring people and provoking them into hurting you.”

“If I say yes, is that a bad thing?” Again, my voice was quiet. Rhos screwed up her nose, which I had to admit was kind of cute on her face, and tried to glare at me. It was amusing to see a girl who was older than me yet looked younger try to intimidate me after dealing with hardened criminals swearing me out and throwing random objects at me.

“I believe so.”

“Okay. Good to know. Now, please stop stomping around like an angry bull?”

“Did you just call me a bull?” She sounded more enraged than when I’d freaked her out.

“No, I compared you to one. If you keep stomping around like that, if there is someone in these woods, they’d know you were there.” I was about to give her advice but I knew it wouldn’t help: it takes practice. Sighing, I turned and

Then I remembered something insanely important and turned back. My voice was barely a whisper, “And hey, if you do actually find something, don’t run. Just freeze. The human eye sees movement more than anything. When whoever it is, is gone, find someone who can defend you. I know you guys can attack like nothing else but your defense sucks almost as much as mine. Apparently that shiny rock is important so some very powerful people are going to want it. Don’t make noise, don’t move and don’t breath to hard or it’ll condense.”

I stopped before I went into an all out rant. Now that I had thought about it, I didn’t want to leave this chick alone. If I hadn’t trained myself to not make much noise, I would have groaned but I just sighed.
"A poet is someone who stands outside in the rain hoping to be struck by lightning."
-James Dickey

"It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent."
-Dave Barry

25 Reviews

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:02 pm
Dragonet says...

>Hey guys, could we put our rank after our names? At least until I know everybody. It'd just make it easier for me.<
Ashrae~Fighter

I crawled in my small, single tent and munched on some crackers that I personally carried with me. After eating a couple, I buried myself in my sleeping bag and hugged my knees to my chest to contain as much heat as possible. I never fall asleep right away, so after the usual 30 minutes of reviewing various memories in my mind, I am finally asleep.

Three hours later, I'm vaguely aware that I'm being shaked and I realize that it's my turn to keep watch. Slipping on a warm cloak, I walk to the edge of camp and pull up my hood. My guard buddy is man that I remember as Darius. His dress atire informs me that he's a knight and I try not to judge him instantly; I consider all knights vain. But I know not to judge a book by it's cover, so I introduce myself. "My name is Ashrae." I say matter-of-factly as if he had asked. He turns toward me and I add, "I'm one of the fighters."

He nodds, and gestures towards himself "Darius, I'm a-"

"Knight," I say for him, and smile.
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

161 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:36 am
Sassafras says...

Octavian- Archer

My arrow stabbed into the tree, splitting clean through the previous arrow and hitting the bark with a thump. Bullseye again. I smiled to myself and laid down my bow, that would be enough praticing for tonight. Soemthing rustled in the bushes just as I was sitting and pulling and pulling out my flute, immediately, I leapt back up and grabbed my bow, aiming it at the offending piece of shrubbery.

"Show yourself," I demanded. Shadow came out of the bushes, hands raised and a sly smile on his face, I lowered my weapon but kept my guard up. "State your business, Fighter." He nodded, almost sarcastically, before standing up straight and showing his hands in his pockets.

"Just wandering." I scoffed at him and smiled, my serious expression melting into a puddle at my fight.

"Just wandering? Well then, make yourself useful and assit me in praticing. I was just about to retire from the action but, since your here..." I put my bow and arrow aside as Shaodw assumed a fighting stance. He was first to make a move, charging at me with pure strength. I sidestepped his attack and landed a swift but soft blow to the back of his neck. "Dead," I said with a smirk. He turned back to glance at me but righted himself and putting up his arms.

"Just testing waters." I laughed and blocked another one of his moves but, in doing so, I left my right side open and he jabbed his hand into my side. I flinched and stepped back to meet his wide smile.

"Well then." No more words were spoken as we sparred on, but, in the midst of doing so, I swear I could sense something up in the mountains. Something disturbing the trees and rustling the bushes. Maybe just an animal or maybe not. Even so, the guards would raise an alarm if whatever it was pose a threat until then-

I quickly blocked one of Shadow's advances and swept out my leg in an attempt to trip him. Until then, all I could do was to focus on my training until it was actually time to fight. Hopefully that time wouldn't be soon.

Random avatar

Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:06 am
Calligraphy says...

Shadow - fighter

I watched Octavian for a while wishing I was watching a girl. Wow, what a thought, but I just didn't enjoy dudes company. It just didn't work for me as well. His arrows steadily hit bullseye and I wondered why he didn't try something new. Something farther away, something moving anything but the same old same old. I quietly felt the dagger that was hidden under my jacket. I barley ever took it out. No one probably even knew I had it. It was nice to have something up your sleeve, something you could use to surprise someone, but you never found the perfect time because then people would know you had one and it would be worthless. How stupid I sounded.

Octavian was pulling out my flute now I stepped forward to come out when he jumped and turned my direction all at the same time his bow already drawn. I was instantly crouching in hopes he would aim to high if he shot.

"Show yourself," He sounded super freaked out so I came out my hands raised. I hoped I kept my cool, but I am not really certain. Octavian was obviously still very annoyed,

"State your business, Fighter." I nodded and stood up straighter,

"Just wandering Sheesh." I was happy to see his steel jawline turn into a smile.

"Just wandering? Well then, make yourself useful and assist me in practicing. I was just about to retire from the action but, since your here..." Now I was slightly annoyed. Who did this guy think he was, and who says retire? Oh well, I crouched lower and spread my feet out. Then when I saw that Octavian got my meaning and was following suit I took the first move. I wanted to see what this guy was made of so I gave an easy to block attack and when he side stepped I didn't give him a side swipe. I felt his cold hand on the back of my neck.

"Dead." I didn't mind, he wasn't worth me getting mad or my real fighting moves anyway. I didn't really like practicing anyway it just felt so fake to me. Plus a lot of my ability seemed to come from adrenaline not actual skill.

"Just testing waters," he just laughed and I gave him a fake swipe to his left side he promptly blocked it and I gave him a slightly hard jab to his right side which he had unwisely left open.

"Well then." Was all he said and we fought on. I was surprised when I realized I was actually getting into this fight. Sweat stuck to my skin and my breathing was coming hard. I was giving my all. We were pretty much matched in strength though I knew a few more moves than him and I had slightly faster reflexes, though of course if he had a weapon he could have probably beat me easily. He gave me a roundhouse kick and I dogged just in time to slam into the leg touching the ground throwing him off balance. We both ended up toppling to the ground. I laughed, and after untangling myself from him I spread out on the cool grass.

"So, what do you think about his whole deal?" I asked.

161 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:14 am
Sassafras says...

Octavian- Archer

"What I think about it? I hate it, actually and I feel bad for her."

"Blake?"

"Yeah, she has to die. That must suck." I stood up and grabbed my bow, stretching before turning towards Shadow and giving a mock salute to him. "It makes me feel dirty," I said with a smile. "Filthy, knowing I'm one of the people to lead her safely to her death. An oxymoron if there ever was one. We're murders too, you know. Just for doing this." I turned and started walking away, letting the smile drop from my face. "This is murder, but, just because it was for the "good of the people" it was acceptable. I didn't even sign up for this, Lady Elizabeth, my princess, voulnteered me for the job. Who was I to say no to her? She told me to pick my two best archers and be on my way."

"Feh." I smiled weakly before letting it drop. "There must have been some reason she sent me here. Lady Elizabeth knows I hate killing, and this isn't too differnt from that. It hurt so bad, hurt my heart that is. That poor child, only thirteen. At the age of thirteen I was chasing after my cat Thumper in the castle garden, not preparing to die." No, I needed to stop talking but I couldn't.

A tear slipped down my cheek and I quickly wiped it away. Warriors don't cry, leaders dont either, but it's just so bad. That's my weakness, my emotions. I'm too emotional. I'm a man! I need to toughen up but- "Damn." More tears spilled over and I pressed the palm of my hands into my eyes. I shouldn't be doing this, not here. Too emotional, too much emotion. Suck it up, Tavian. "Dammit..." You don't even know her! You just met her, but still. The way her father just gave her up. Did he even hug her? That must have hurt, but she's so strong.

I drew in a deep ragged breath before laying my head against the tree trunk behind me. Ignoring Shadow's stares.

"I hope you know what you've done, Princess."

(Octavian's a baby :P)
Last edited by Sassafras on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:31 am
LaceyDreadth says...

Michiko ~ Archer

I held up a hand, glaring when Rhos barely stopped. Of course I'd taken her along. Though she generally hated listening to me, being below her in rank, she was intelligent enough to know I knew what I was talking about. "Stay here," I whispered, replacing the 's' with a 'th' to make less noise. What I was about to do was generally immoral, completely unethical, and exactly what I'd been doing for years.

Eavesdropping is reallly too easy. I was going to ask Octavian where he wanted a scout specifically but the conversation was too interesting. Silently I watched them, slowly clenching my fists. The words hit me to my core. I did feel a surge of pride when he said he grabbed his two best archers. Of course he was right but...it wasn't the right time to be so egotistical. Though I knew he adored her, I hated his precious princess.

So I took a deep breath and walked straight over to him and sat down next to him. He glanced at me, then closed his eyes. Shadow, on the other hand, had wide eyes as I seemed to suddenly seperate from the darkness. I'm sure he sensed something but couldn't describe it. fell away from my own normality and sat down next to him. As he couldn't see me, I gave Shadow a look that was supposed to tell him to not say anything and I think he got it.

I layed my head down on his shoulder. I sat there in silence, simply being with him. What I did next was completely insensitive but having brothers doesn't help a femine side grow as easily as one might think. "I think you should tell me what to do, you big baby."

Shadow looked a bit surprised on how I decided to go around this but I stood up, long bow in my hand, I reached down with my other one and grasped his arm, pulling him up. One upside of being an archer was the upper body strength.

"Michiko..."

"Where do you want me and the mage that thinks she's the world's gift to the mirror?"

"Rhos is with you?" He wiped his cheek with the back of his hand.

"I couldn't leave her alone in the forest...she doesn't know how to read it and I've heard mage's defense is far below acceptable standards." Octavian shook his head and I shrugged. He seemed to think and I was glad I gave him something to do rather than think about Blake.

"Concentrate on the direction of the mountains."

Tavian didn't explain himself and I didn't expect him to. I merely nodded and followed orders, disapearing into the forest once more. Why the mountains? I poked Rhos, who jumped, a ball of plue flame in her hand.

"Calm down, Rhos. Octavian says to concentrate in the direction of the mountains. Any objections?"

"Well, Octavian seems like a smart person."

I grinned, pulling back my hood so she could see it, then puttint it back around my head. "That he is." And a complete sap...
"A poet is someone who stands outside in the rain hoping to be struck by lightning."
-James Dickey

"It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent."
-Dave Barry

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.
— J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye