z

Young Writers Society

Virals Rising (accepting characters!)

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:36 pm
Funkymomo says...

Gaia

I watched with everyone else as the virals killed the poor people. They were so close, maybe I could have saved them if I was down there. . . But i'm not. I'm stuck in here wasting my life. Well, not wasting, I helped people, but I want to be out there, helping more people. The virals started running towards us, another attack.

" Everyone into positions!" someone yelled. The guards started shooting while I ran down to the hospital. The clean scent welcomed me, an old friend. Something normal in this chaotic world. Putting on gloves, I waved at another healer who was my friend. She smiled and turned away to prepare for the hoards of people soon to be here. I knew that soon enough there would be dozens of guards in here, wounded. Better get ready.
Light one candle instead of cursing the darkness.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:03 am
Threnody says...

Angie:

Below the walls of of fortress night fell. It was dark when we spotted our first virals. They emerged from the trees, repelled but interested by our light.

"Oh my God!!" A guard shouted suddenly. "There are walkers down there!" I ran over and looked over the edge of the wall. Clear as mud were two terrified looking people backing into our steel reinforced entry.

"How the hell are we supposed to get them up here?" I shouted. My friend Nick, stationed on Night Guard at last minute, rushed into the fray.

"Ropes... we need ropes. The virals might not think to climb up, they're just after their prey." He said breathlessly.

I turned and looked for a lower level guard. Finding a younger guard I told her to get the healers ready, we had two live people we were trying to fish out from the maelstrom of virals below us.

Another guard came up with a rope and we dangled it over the side yelling like retarded fisherman.
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:26 am
Cspr says...

Jax:

"We're so going to die," I lament, glancing over at Naomi. She's swirling her pipe, eyes narrowed as she watches the virals.

"Not on my watch," she growls, but I can see she's terrified.

I glance up at the guards at the wall, hoping they'd be willing to help us out.

Suddenly, ropes are falling down from above.

"Oh thank God," Naomi murmured, doing that crossing thing she did (she was Catholic) over her chest and pushing her pipe down one leg of her pants.

I was already trying to shimmy up the rope by then and I grabbed her shoulder and got her started as well.

We managed to get pretty far before I felt something grab my shoe.

I glance down to see one of the virals gasping and clinging to my foot. My nerves were shot...I hadn't felt a thing.

I swear and start flailing.

I hear a dull thud and see the thing fall. Naomi got herself another head shot with that pole again...

"Thanks," I say and she just glares.

"Just KEEP CLIMBING, moron!"

((Hope that's good...))
My SPD senses are tingling.

324 Reviews

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:30 pm
Threnody says...

Angie:

"No, wait the virals are actually climbing up the ropes." Nick sighed.

"I'm afraid to shoot, I might accidently hit one of them though..." I replied, I was dead scared but I was never going to admit that.

"Just do it, an arrow in the leg ain't as bad what's going to happen if we leave them."

I let go of the rope and started aiming at each viral, getting a careful head shot every time. That was the only you you could actually kill them. In the mean time, the group with the rope was now attempting to haul the two over the side.

Another guard came over to help after more virals got attracted by the struggle.

"We're screwed over aren't we..." She muttered.

"Nope, we're not, they are if we can't get them over the wall."

"Hey!" Someone shouted," You have to get the big one on the bottom, we can't pull them up when he's dangling there."
They motioned with their heads to a huge viral, about 250 pounds and 6 ft. tall. Probably quite an eater when he was alive. Now too I guess...

The only problem was, one of the walkers was dangling dangerously by his head.

"Just shoot, one of you!" Someone screamed. We raised our crossbows at the same time. An arrow sprouted in the virals head and another in his neck. One of the arrows just grazed the walker's leg.

A second later, both were over the wall and breathless. The virals were still running around moaning about their lost prey.

"Gaia... check these guys out." One of the healers was already ready and took them down off the wall.
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:05 pm
Skull3670 says...

Mikael aka Subject Six

I watched with glee as the gibbering horde charged screaming at the compound, those with half a brain smashing lights as they went. It was not long before the sound of gunfire peirced the night. Some of the virals were clawing at the walls whilst one of the larger ones simply rammed the door, denting it with each run. Finally there was a sickening crunch as the door caved in, closely followed by a hail of gunfire and one big dead viral. Thankfully the breach was soon filled with gibbering snarling virals desperate to feast.
I have looked into the eye of the storm and stared it down. I am an adrenaline junky and i know no fear.

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:32 pm
Funkymomo says...

Gaia Fiore

Immediatly I changed from nervous girl to fearless healer. I always did when someone was hurt. The boy wasn't to badly hurt, the crossbow only went about half an inch into his leg before hitting the viral. By his moaning you would have thought he was dying, though. Once he looked down at is leg, ad nearly fainted. I cleaned the wound and drowned out the snarling and yelling around me. Soon, the boy stopped his moaning and spoke.

" Is my leg OK?" he said, worry in his voice. " Is Naoni OK?" he said with pain in his voice.

" The girl walker? Yeah she made it. They pulled her up. What's your name?"

" Jax," he said. " What's yours?"

"Gaia. Why don't you go to sleep now? Your legs gonna be fine, you just need rest now." He nodded slightly and closed his eyes in sleep. I almost laughed. Ten minutes here and he was already asleep, his chestnut hair messed up. He looked about 10. I set him off to the side and started tending more wounded.
Light one candle instead of cursing the darkness.

324 Reviews

Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:57 pm
Threnody says...

Angie

"Gaia... ouch... God!!.... ow... damn... do not touch that part on my arm. It's not a big deal!" Gaia, one of the best healers in our compound, was the only one who would deal with me. She laughed as she poured this treacherous liquid on my open gash.

"Angie, just be quiet and stop being a baby. You could get an infection and die within the hour, you know how much crap floats around this compound." She said, mock preachy.

"But it hurts." I whined. Gaia was the only one who's I'd expose my inner weaknesses to.

Another guard stepped in for a moment and I straightened up. Gaia just smiled and rolled her eyes. "I'm going now, I have to check on the other walker."

When she was gone I pretended my arm didn't hurt, got up and went back outside.
~ The Little Prince~

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:51 am
Cspr says...

Naomi:

I sighed quietly as I sat on the cot they'd put me on. I fidgeted with the sheet and looked around. I'd made it. We'd both made it--Jax and I. Well...I hoped he was okay.

My heart was still in my throat from it all, though, and my palms were covered in rope burns. Otherwise, I think I was okay.

A woman came in seconds later and started moving around. She checked my vitals and did some other stuff; even put cream on my hands. I wasn't sure where she'd got it from.

"Hey, um, is my friend Jax okay? He's kind of...odd about blood and..." I gulp and finally just spit out what I'd wanted to say. "When the viral grabbed him, he didn't get bit, right?" I ask.

He'd said once that he'd been bitten before, but nothing had happened. But in general he was kind of off, so I think he might have thought a homeless guy so...

Ugh, my head felt crazy. All the desert heat.

I shook myself slightly and just looked up at the lady.

((Hope that was okay...again...))
My SPD senses are tingling.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:34 pm
Pundit says...

can I join?
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
George Orwell

I see no reason to celebrate the random timing of natural events by eating poison and singing.
— Dilbert