z

Young Writers Society

The Chosen [Started!]

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:15 pm
Moo says...

Okay Skins. I'll see what it's like when you get your profile up. ;) Like I said, I'd prefer it if it were an element.

This is a rough profile, I'll come back and fix stuff later.

Name: Tobias Smith Jr. Goes by the nickname ‘Tobi.’

Order Name: Psyche.

Age: Seventeen, though he looks at least a year or two younger.

Appearance: Tobi is average in size for a teenage boy his age, standing at about 5"6'. He has an overall lean and gangly appearance; he finds the food in Nox disagreeable and sometimes goes a whole day eating very little. His eyes are similar to that of his mother, an intriguing shade of bright, cerulean blue. His hair is an unusual yet natural shade of silver, something that links a Chosen to powerful psychic abilities. It sits in a state of constant disarray - Tobi seems to have long given up trying to tame it.

Picture:

Spoiler! :

Personality: Tobi tends to stick to those he knows; mostly because of fear of judgement. He is nowhere near as fearless and as daring as his father, and will try to avoid any confrontation, be it physical or verbal. This means that others tend to use him as a doormat; being rude and harsh as they know Tobi will not react to them. He has terribly low self esteem, and feels most content when around his friends who do not judge or criticise him.

When it comes to an unavoidable confrontation, Tobi often gets easily frightened or panicked if the situation becomes highly dangerous. Most think he is a coward for this. However, it is because of the loss of his mother and older brother that he dislikes combat; he feels he could not bear to lose another close to him. Though Tobi feels fear, he is by no means a coward when it comes to protecting his friends. He will act in any way possible to protect them, his actions often being not well thought out or extremely dangerous for himself.

It takes a lot to truly anger him; though once such method of doing so would be to call him a coward. When thrown into a rage, his abilities surge to massive levels, often spinning beyond his control.

History: Tobias was born in New York City. His father, Tobias Senior, was one of the first Chosen to stand up for his people, often organising talks or peace rallies in the hope of stopping the violence towards powered families. This meant that he became a big target for opposing hate parties. The family spent much of their time in hiding with relatives and other protesters, until the Chosen were tricked into the purge. Whilst being forced into the boat to Nox at gunpoint, a Nocturne guard attempted to separate Tobi from his older brother and mother. In a panic she lashed out at the guard. Without a hint of mercy or warning, they shot her and his brother dead before their very eyes. Tobi was only four at the time, but it is the clearest memory he possesses.

His father managed to stay calm and not attack for the sake of his son. For years he grieved the loss of his wife, throwing himself into intense, secret training for the time when he would strike. His leadership qualities were recognised by others, and he soon became both the founder and the leader of the Order. Tobi still feels like a failure because of his father’s success; he is by no means heroic or a warrior. However, he is an active member of the Order, and tries his best to live up to his father’s reputation.

Ability: Tobi possesses the element of Psyche. All of his abilities are mind controlled. The powers he is able to use include: Psychokenisis*, mind reading*, weak shielding,* mental blocking, memory alteration, memory reading,* and very weak mind manipulation.* He can also overwhelm and toy with another person's mind to cause a brief, excrutiating headache.*

Elemental familiar: A blue eyed, silver Serval. Note: Edited this picture myself.. don't steal :P

Spoiler! :

Strengths/weaknesses: His main strength is the versatility of his powers. He has proved himself useful within team missions because of this. He is also good at stealth and recon. Because of his ability to move objects with his mind, he is a dead shot with a sniper rifle. His biggest weakness is his fear of losing people, which causes him to go into a blind panic and make bad decisions. He is also terrible at hand to hand or close up combat due to his lean, wiry frame. He also takes harsh words to heart, and tends to hold a grudge if someone insults him. He also finds it difficult to kill, and thinks himself weak because of it.

Serial Number: 717431009

Other: Up for love/friendship. Also, he carries a dagger in his belt, though has never had to use it.

If anyone would like to be Tobi's friend/love interest, PM me. For now, I'm off to bed. Night all. x) We'll be starting this tomorrow night, hopefully, if we have enough writers by then.
Last edited by Moo on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Poetry is old, ancient, goes back far. It is among the oldest of living things. So old it is that no man knows how and why the first poems came.”

--Carl Sandburg

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:07 pm
Sins says...

Name: Finn Franchot (Fran - sho)

Order Name: Ash (Simply because Finn was obsessed with Pokemon as a child). He doesn't actually like being called this though because, basically, he finds it embarrassing.

Appearance: Messy dark brown hair, rather pale skin due to lack of sunlight and food, often a bit of stubble and he has quite a fit body because he does a lot of physical activities. The lack of food effects his body though so he isn't as fit as he could potentially be. He isn't awfully muscley at all, he's simply fit. It surprises everyone, but Fin hates his eyes. They are such a clear blue, they almost look white with a bit of a blue tint. He thinks they make him look like a girl.
Spoiler! :

Personality: Finn is the most talkative teenager to ever exist; he never shuts up. This wouldn't be so much of a big deal if what he talked about wasn't a load of pointless stories. A lot of people tend to find the way Finn constantly talks rather amusing, but for those less patient people want to smack him in the face. Since Finn was a child, he has improved an awful lot on the constant speaking thing. If he realises that he's annoying people, he will shut himself up.

Finn puts himself down an awful lot. By telling people that he's an idiot, stupid, annoying, etc, he makes them believe that he's perfectly happy to joke about himself. The truth is though that he genuinely thinks that he's these things. He just jokes about it so that others think he couldn't care less about who he is. As a child, he was always told that he was these things so that's what he believes. He doesn't trust people easily at all but can easily convince them that he does in fact trust them, making them often confide in him.

History: Finn was about six years old when he was sent into Nox. Unlike most of the other people that were being sent to Nox, Finn did not have any family at all. While he was sent away, his mother and younger half brother stayed because unlike Finn, they didn't have any kind of abilities. He has never really known why, but he believes it is because of the fact that his father had abilities. He hates the fact that he's never known his father or any of his family. During the time he spent in Nox, he's searched for his father but has never been successful.

Once arriving, an apparently kind man took Finn in, telling him that he'd always wanted a son. Considering he was six years old, he didn't really think much of it. From then onwards, he was brought up by a man named Richard Gatwick. Richard Gatwick constantly told Finn that he was stupid and useless. Using his power (inflicting excruciating pain on another being), Richard threatened to throw him out if he misbehaved. At 16, he finally got away from Richard and isn't really living anywhere at the moment. He just drifts around a bit, often sleeping on the streets.

Ability: Finn can swap bodies with other living things. To be able to swap bodies though, he must touch the person or animal he wishes to swap bodies. He must then keep hold of that person/animal for an average time of ten seconds. It's very hard for him to swap bodies with someone unless they are willing fro him to do so, which means that he can't really use his power to take advantage very often at all. He can only stay in a body that's not his own for an hour.

Elemental familiar: An electric blue swallow with silver tinted wings and a jet black beak. It's eyes are a bright, pure silver.

Strengths/weaknesses: Strengths: Finn's fearlessness. He will be willing to do whatever it takes to make things better and won't run away. Although he can come across as immature, Finn is actually extremely good at handling problems. When everyone else has given up, he'll be the first to make everyone realise that they need to be more optimistic. Weaknesses: Because he never stops talking, and the only thing he really talks about is rubbish, he can annoy an awful lot of people. You have to be patient to be around Finn. He absolutely hates using his power; he doesn't like being "different". That can cause some problems.

Serial Number: 260219964

Other: Up for love/friendship/relationship/anything else. Finn has a few scars from when he lived with Richard Gatwick. He always hides them with clothing, his hair, and anything else he can think of. His weapons are just whatever he can find on the street.
Last edited by Sins on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

72 Reviews

Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:25 pm
Moo says...

Skins: Your power and profile is approved. :)

Spork: I'm sorry, but Jamie claimed Pyrokinesis first, we discussed it in the YWS chat. Would you mind changing? Thanks. :)

Note: Added a picture for Tobi's appearance on his profile. I changed his familiar to a serval, picture included there too.

I'm also going to add a DT, so we can discuss plot. I've got a few ideas, so you guys should think up some too. :3

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic68890.html

We also need more characters. Ask around guys if you know anyone who might be interested. I'm going to do the same. :) We can't start until we have at least eight, and that would be two more.
“Poetry is old, ancient, goes back far. It is among the oldest of living things. So old it is that no man knows how and why the first poems came.”

--Carl Sandburg

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:52 pm
AquaMarine says...

Name: Jason Roberts

Order Name: Arctic

Appearance: Jason is tall and wiry, with short, white hair (a colour he was born with). His skin isn't shockingly pale, but certainly more than average. He doesn't smile all that often, and has a pretty grim look. He has a scar running down past his left eye - a relic of an attempted escape.

Personality: To say the least, Jason is serious. For him, every day he is locked up at Nox is horrible, and mostly he's focused on trying to get out. As said before, Jason does look quite grim, and this exemplifies his current mindset. He isn't very good in social situations, and finds it hard to connect with people - this was hard for him even before he was brought to Nox. That isn't to say Jason doesn't have friends at Nox: he does befriend people when they have a common purpose or interest as him. As you may have guessed, he is extremely introverted and keeps emotions under lock and key, excepting the times when perhaps his anger will get the better of him.

He's never been put into a group situation before, but when he is in this rebellion, Jason will probably find it a very hard experience. His previous plottings and attempt to escape have all been alone, and trying to reason of compromise with other people will be new to him.

Jason is also pretty intelligent and logical. He can think clearly in a chaotic situation, as it's easy for him to block out what's going on around him.

History: Born in England. When the battles between the Chosen and normal people broke out, Jason's family hid him away from them, moving around the country and trying to live a normal life amongst the chaos. His mother died in childbirth, and neither his older sister or his dad have any special abilities - the assumption is his mum did, but either never knew about it or didn't show it to anyone. Jason's remaining family were very protective of him, and have been since he was very young. His family encouraged him to go to Nox, believing the ruse and hoping it would be a new start for them all. Jason hasn't heard from them since.

In Nox, Jason has kept himself to himself. He, like many others, has tried to escape from it twice. Both times obviously failed, and one left him with a very visible scar.

Ability: Jason can control ice (think Frozone from The Incredibles.)

Elemental familiar: Arctic Fox.

Strengths/weaknesses: Strengths: Focused, intelligent, logical, calm. Moderately fit and unafraid of most things.

Weaknesses: No idea how to work in a group, his anger can get the better of him, shuts himself off entirely, can lack empathy with others.

Serial Number: 000-273-090

Other: Up for friendship right now. Possibly up for love later, if you're in for a long time. Has a few crude weapons created from what he's been able to scavenge - not that he's any great shakes at using them.
Last edited by AquaMarine on Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

213 Reviews

Reviews: 213
Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:26 pm
SporkPunk says...

No, I don't mind at all. :)

How about machine manipulation? This includes anything from computers (making him essentially the world's best hacker) to washing machines to weapons (making him an excellent sharpshooter.) Can that work?

I'll alter my profile after (if?) it's approved. xD
Grasped by the throat, grasped by the throat. That's how I feel about love. That it's not worth it.

REVIEWS FOR YOU | | Uprising (coming soon!)

72 Reviews

Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:11 pm
Moo says...

I have a feeling the characters will find that power very useful, so yes, that seems great. :D Thanks for cooperating.

Females are now permitted. ;) The ratio has evened out nicely. We'll be starting soon, either tonight or tomorrow morning.

--Carl Sandburg

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:12 pm
Dr. Jamie Bondage says...

Name: Adam Asher

Order Name: A code name used by the Order in the interest of protecting their identities.

Appearance: He has fiery red hair, and deep hazel eyes. He is 6'5 and tanned from hours in the sun. His hair is short and shaggy, and always a bit messy. He has muscles, but is still developing. He has a scar that starts at the top of his chest and runs all the down to the other side.

Personality: He is very hot headed. He can be really sweet and endearing at times, but has a horrible temper. He is very stubborn and head strong and wants things his way. He tends to take leadership positions and question anyone in authority over him. He's your typical bad boy rebel. But there's another side to him that no one sees unless they dare to get close enough...

History: When he was little, he grew up on the streets. The only way to survive was learn how to fight and steal, or be killed. He hated this life. When he was eight, the institution found him and dragged him in and branded him. He started seeing signs of his powers, but never really understood what was going on. As he got older, he started experimenting with his powers, to the point that he would burn down private property. He hated the institution and can't wait to escape. No one knows where his scar came from.

Ability: Fire element. Minipulate fire*, fire balls*, forest fires, fire walls*, heat*, minipulate the sun's energy source, burn things, etc.

Elemental familiar: A pheonix. He has never seen it or called it to him.

Strengths/weaknesses: 1. He has an impressive knowledge of his fire skills; however, he has a very hot temper, so he has problems controlling them. 2. He is very intelligent; however, he normally acts before he thinks. 3. He is good with a sword, but let's his temper get the best of him. 4. He is very sweet and caring, but falls in love with girls too easily.

Serial Number: 000-000-007

Other: He has two twin swords and is DEFINATELY up for love. :D

Is this okay, Moo? If not, I can change it.
"This kind of love is not a product of reasonings and statics--it just comes-none knows whence-and can't explain itself. And doesn't need to." Mark Twain

333 Reviews

Reviews: 333
Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:33 pm
retrodisco666 says...

Name: Eric Thomas
Order Name: Neptune
Appearance: He is around six foot two. He has very thick wavy hair which is a dirty blonde colour. He has a slight overbite. He has very bright blue eyes. He has very broad shoulders and is muscled well.
Personality: He is very calm, but if someone gets on his bad side they will know about it. He is very good with his words and tricks people easy, although he is generally nice to people. He comes off as bold, but people tend to want to get to know him.
History: His mother died in birth to his sister, who died as well. He lived with his father underneath the floor of a tavern working as a pickpocket for the owner to buy food and pay for rent. He robbed a wealthy man, but got caught, so to protect him, his father sent him to nox.
Ability: Water creation. Water wall creation* Water ball* Whirlpool* Water sword* Other water related creation things like tsunamis ect.
Elemental familiar:A strong, larger than life kingfisher
Strengths:Very good with hand weapons, very sneaky, manipulative, high stamina
weaknesses: distracted easy, is not to good with off hand combat, does not follow orders perfectly, thinks he is better than others
Serial Number: 734500269
Other: A claymore is his weapon of choice. He is not up for love. He is a small scar to the left of his left eye.

Tell me if I need to change anything.
'I have loved to the point of madness, which for me is the only true way to love'
~Francoise Sagan

72 Reviews

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:05 pm
Moo says...

Everything seems okay. I'd like it if Aqua could finish her profile soon, I've got too more joiners currently working on their profiles now. So we'll be starting tonight hopefully. ^^
Last edited by Moo on Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--Carl Sandburg

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:07 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Fix it how? It's done.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

72 Reviews

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:12 pm
Moo says...

Sorry, should have checked that. Last time I looked there were still blanks. No matter. :3

--Carl Sandburg

169 Reviews

Reviews: 169
Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:26 pm
Lethero says...

Name: Zeki Zaman

Order name: ZZ or The Hacker or The Strategist

Appearance: Tall, thin, with sleek black hair in a pony tail, round glass with a dark tint, and blue eyes. Usually wears black dress clothing, but if he ever has to fight he usually wears camouflage.
Spoiler! :
Except he has longer hair.

Personality: Usually has the air of someone who thinks he's smarter than everyone else (mostly cause he is). Doesn't take well to be bothered when he is thinking. Can be rude and mean, and shows no signs of respect for anyone.

History: Zeki, didn't have a normal childhood, because it was apparent at a young age that he was extremely intelligent. He graduated high school at the age of ten and by sixteen he already had several Ph.Ds in Engineering, Chemistry, and Electronics. By eighteen he discovered his abilities. He was caught breaking into a bank without setting off alarms (was caught by a patrolling guard). When it was apparent how he did it, he was transferred to Nox.

Ability: Intelligence isn't Zeki's ability, which is only a natural talent. His real ability lies in his touch. Zeki is like a human computer, just by touched anything with software, he is able to hack into the computers hard drive undeterred by firewalls, and "download" its contents into his brain. Also he can then in turn, touch another computer and copy over the data into it. He is also able to manipulate the programming of the computer or create an unstoppable virus to wipe a computer out. When he's in a computer his mind usually interprets the inside as a hallway with a bunch of doors, each door named after a program or file in the computer. In real time terms, it only takes him thirty seconds or more depending on the size. To him, he feels like he's in there for hours because things are going faster than human thought.

Elemental Familiar: Hasn't seen it yet, but his is brown barn owl whose name is Athena.
Spoiler! :

Strengths: Using his intelligence he can device multiple strategies and scenarios of how things will play out. Cannot be stopped by any thing that has a computer chip.

Weakness: Zeki is a brain, not a brawn. He isn't athletic or strong in anyway. His high intelligence makes him arrogant sometimes. Zeki's brain can store only a max of one Terrabyte of information (1000 Gigabytes). Anything more than that can send him into an information overload, putting him in a coma until he can transfer the data to another computer. Is left vulnerable when he's touching a computer because he cannot see or hear anything around him.

Serial #: 112233445 (hacked into the register when coming in and put that in for fun)

Other: No scars. Carries a PDA which he uses to transfer data wirelessly to a bank of computers. The PDA can take pictures, make videos, take X-Rays, thermal video, ion detector, and a lot of other things. Carries a low caliber gun mostly cause his wrist can't handle anything to strong.
Last edited by Lethero on Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Fly, Fight, Win . . . in Air, Space, and Cyberspace.
-Air Force Mission Statement-

Integrity First
Service Before Self
Excellence In All We Do
~Air Force Core Values~

*Lethero*

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:02 pm
Pernicious says...

Totally new to this stuff :smt003 Let's hope I didn't screw this up ^^'

Name: Remorse Ford.

Order Name: Friction.

Appearance: Remorse has an overall timid yet generous appeal. Her pasty flesh gives off an essence of constraint; the almost invisible freckles upon her nose area topping this effect off with a fragile look. An auburn hue conducts her irises and goes very well with her pallid skin pigment. Her pupils that are located in the center of her irises seem to be always small, despite the light sources around her. This fact is generally hidden though, for her tawny fringe is frequently in the way of her eyes and most of the time impairs her vision. To prevent this, Remorse has adhered her forehead with a classy ribbon, which ends dangle behind her. Preferring to dress lightly, Remorse finds shorts, three quarters and sleeveless shirts her favourite forms of clothing as they enable her to move fluently.

Personality: Although her appearance gives her a timid appeal, Remorse is actually quite normal when it comes to attitude. She does at times live up to being shy, more than she lives up to being aggressive, but when it comes to her own belongings and rights, Remorse can be known to snap instantly.

History: During the savage times of which the Chosen race were being slaughtered mindlessly; Remorse was still quite young. Left with only her hostile father, who was not only cruel to others and was one of those Chosens that used their powers for bad, but to her too. Several times her father had almost been killed and endagered the life of Remorse continuously. It was his faults that had lead to the death of Remorse's mother. Although she was aggressive but not as much as him, Remorse would still prefer to have her mother than her father. Fortunately, she does not have to cope with her sire anymore, since during the line-up for Nox, he attempted to escape and dragged Remorse with him. Remorse stood her ground and stayed put, whilst her father was shot dead on the ground.

Ability: Remorse is in possesion of the element electricity. This enables her to short circuit electric based machinary, restore electricity when it ceases, activate minor or abnormally large lightning storms, et cetera.

Elemental familiar: To suit her personality, Remorse's elemental familiar is a jackal; of which is abnormal to it's species due to its nebulous canvas and alabaster eyes.

Strengths/weaknesses: Strength; the fact that Remorse will be underestimated due to her timid appearance is classed as one of her advantages. She will be classed as a minor problem during spars and such, giving her the ability to at times acheive her goal since nobody will be there to prevent her from doing so. Weakness; Remorse is easily knocked when it comes to both concentration and confidence. If she does something wrong, it will take a substantial proportion of time until Remorse can do anything right again.

Serial Number: 697782221.

Other: Weapons; Remorse prefers to use the weapons of which she was provided with at birth- tooth and nail. Relationships; Any of the sort is accepted such as kin, love et cetera. Scars; Like previously stated, her father endagered her life a lot, and due to his idiotic behavoir, Remorse has gained an ample scar underneath her ribbon. It is unknown as to what scheme her father was pulling to cause such a large scar though.
"Lost time is never found again."

-Benjamin Franklin

72 Reviews

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:25 pm
Moo says...

We're starting. :) Posters, please follow this format for your replies.

Tobi Smith // 'Psyche' // 11.00 PM

The world knew no darkness the same as that of Nox. The sprawling dystopia had settled into a grim silence as dusk fell outside her walls; cloaking the city and her residents in a thick, black blanket. It concealed the form of a nearby boy perfectly, casting his body in an inky, invisible cloak.

The thoughts of the nearby guards hummed quietly in the back of his brain. He shifted his weight onto his other leg, stooping slightly to rest his weight against the cool stone of a building. As their thoughts became more vulgar and less relevant to what he wished to hear, he instinctively tuned out. The Gate was poorly guarded tonight; two babbling idiots and a couple of sleepers where the only men standing sentinel by Nox's only exit. Hope twisted in his chest, long buried and forgotten, but he quickly pushed it aside. Tonight was not the night.

With a disappointed sigh he hauled himself into an upright position, slouching dejectedly along the empty streets. City dogs crooned a soft lament to the concealed moon, their howls stopping abruptly as Tobi passed their gates. He twitched nervously at the ominous lack of sound as he quickly changed direction, slipping down a tight alleyway with rough walls that scraped his skin.

The alleyway dived into a tight space, crushing his chest as he tried to get through. Grunting and thrashing against the concrete, his head turned painfully fast as footsteps sounded not far from him. Panic clawed up his ribs like a frightened cat. He stopped dead. The footsteps subsided into nothingness.

"Who goes there?"

The voice was sudden and sharp, and it rattled his bones in alarm.

"Psyche," he called out, the hairs on the back of his neck bristling. Their reply was hesitant.

"Ah. You were supposed to be back at HQ an hour ago," it called back eventually, after some apparent thought. Tobi sagged with relief, his chest slipping down the rough walls of the alley slightly. He slowly edged himself out, peeping his head around the corner to spy his ally, their form fringed by dingy streetlight.

"I just wanted to see..." With a frustrated sigh, he tousled his hair roughly. "It's just that they're so careful with their thoughts..."

"I know. Come on, there's a meeting starting soon." With a shrug he tossed his silver hair from his eyes, shoving his hands into his pockets and following their lead.

*This can be anyone. Just so you know, Tobi was listening in to the guards thoughts, to see if he could find the pass-code to open the Gate or find out when a shipment was arriving.*

--Carl Sandburg

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:29 pm
SisterItaly says...

Ugh I hate to ask this... but I have no clue what to post... can someone bring me in?
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.
— Albus Dumbledore