z

Young Writers Society

Centurion

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:47 am
blackwings_angel says...

I'm thinking of joining in.... mind if I be a centaur? I'm pretty sure they are really common in Greek& Roman mythology.
Glory is like a circle in the water, Which never ceaseth to enlarge itself, Till by broad spreading it disperses to naught. -William Shakespeare

join my Storybook, now would be a great time for a new character to come in. :wink:

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:46 pm
Thriving Fire says...

Skuller woke up not a second later than he intended to. Night was upon him, and somewhere above, the stars twinkled like little diamonds. How they warmed his heart. So welcoming, so forgiving, so damned beautiful. Inside, Skuller sighed. He would reach them one day. No troll was invincible, after all.
A chilly wind brought Skuller back to his senses. Not the coldness, for he felt cold like he felt happiness; very little. No, not the cold, but the noise: the gentle creeking of metal bars. Bars he, Skuller, had made creeky. Well, now was the time to finish them.
Like the breaking of a dam, Skuller let his anger pour into his brain and engulf him. This was common practice among trolls, but Skuller was special; he had learned to control it and make it a weapon. In a few painful seconds, every single essence of positivity in Skuller's soul was washed away. Somewhere in the darkness, his eyes began to shine a fiery red.
It was time
Skuller made one simple punch and blew the bars of his cage away like they weren't there. Freedom. Freedom at last.
Looking around the troll found himself in an empty courtyard. That is, it looked empty, but Skuller knew better; no fool would leave a fully-grown war troll on his own. How stupid do they think I am? the troll thought. But it didn't matter; any guards in Skuller's way, he'd simple destroy them like he destroyed the bars. Only easier.
His small eyes ablaze, grinning an evil, grimacing grin, Skuller strode out of the courtyard. It looked like the Trojans had a war sooner than expected.
I have an idea about these voices I hear
They're audible to everyone
Everyone but me

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:12 am
blackwings_angel says...

Name: Rolan
Class: Centaur
Looks: Thick medium brown fur and hair, built strongly, with dark skin, hazel green eyes, his mane strecthing down his spinal cord is a shade of dark brown. Wears no armor besides a belt which his sheath to his schimtars hang.
Personality: Cocky and a little angry. He has been sent from Mount Olympus to a fight a war, without even being asked to volunteer. Faithful to the gods and will fight until he returns to them.
Weapons: Two long slender schimtars {Curved blades} (Think of the chronicle of Narnia;s Orious's sword) Past: The Gods have sent him and his brigade as aid to the Trojans who have prayed quite a lot for help in war. Ares sent the Centaur renegade.

Rolan walked out of the temple. The human's around him were in awe, and usually broke out in prayer as he walked by. He gave a signal to his men and they took off in full gallop towards the throne, to show the Spartans, and Trojans, that they had come in aid and were ready to fight. Heaven's gates had closed behind them only to open when they perished in war. Some of Rolan's men, as they all knew quite well, would be there for quite some time. They walked between corinthian pillars, and came face to face with the guards. He had a "Heavenly" voice, speaking smoothly and calmly, almost like a deep bass drum.
"We offer our services to your leaders. Tell them we have came in their aid from Mount Olympus as a gift of their prayers."
Glory is like a circle in the water, Which never ceaseth to enlarge itself, Till by broad spreading it disperses to naught. -William Shakespeare

join my Storybook, now would be a great time for a new character to come in. :wink:

43 Reviews

Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:35 pm
Kyuubi says...

A Spartan patrol walked by the shattered remains of Skullers cage. One of the troops ran over to it.
"Oh no.....Skuller is loose!" the soldier yelled. "Go get Valens! He'll know what to do!" the other soldier ran off towards the Great Hall. He pushed open the doors and ran inside.
"Skuller is loose! Skuller is loose!" the soldier yelled. Everyone got on their feet and stared. Then they heard a crash from outside in the courtyard. Valens walked to the window and saw Skuller destroying everything in his path.
"Not good..."Valens said.

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:56 pm
Shadowsun says...

Name: Domitus
Faction: Roman Empire
Class: Legionnaire
Legion: XIVth Gemina
Equipment: A steel breastplate, steel helmet, two javelins, a steel longsword taken off a Briton strapped across his back, two short swords either side of his belt, a large red tower shield, a long dagger in his right boot and a brace of throwing knives strapped across his chest.
Personality: Aggressive, short tempered, violent, rash, cunning and bright.
Looks: Medium height, strong build, with light skin, deep blue eyes, strong muscles, short black hair with hints of grey and a scar coming down over his left eye.
Past: He was drafted into the XIVth Legion at the start of the Great War and discovered a natural talent for close combat. he quickly mastered every blade in the Legions armoury, but failed miserably at archery and hasn't touched a bow since. He fought mercilessly throughput the war, and watched as his comrades were killed one by one in battle while he survived. When the war ended the remnants of the XIVth was posted near Troy. After a few years a new regiment - the XXVIIth - was merged with the XIVth to bring it back up to strength. Domitus was promoted to Sergeant and was responsible for training the new recruits.

The XIVth marched in a long column, four men to each rank. "Keep in time!" Domitus screamed at the new recruits. "You aren't farmboys anymore! You are legionnaries in the XIVth!"

The legion picked up the pace, marching quickly towards Troy. The thick forest didn't trouble them because they were on a Roman road. The best roads in the world were Roman, they went in a straight line and took you quickly to your destination. A group of horsemen galloped towards Domitus. He could see their gleaming armour and bright red capes. Officers. He thought. Who needs them.

They rode up to Domitus and stopped in front of him. Domitus smartly clicked his heels together and saluted. "At ease Sergeant." The General ordered.

"Sir." Domitus took up a more casual stance and glared at the new members of the XIVth with a look of pure hatred.

"Sergeant, we don't want you scaring the men to death before we get to Troy. Gods know that it's going to be bad enough when we get there." The General told him.

"I'll try not to sir." Domitus said.

"Good. We'll keep an eye on the new recruits, just in case." The General mentioned.

"Of course sir." Domitus saluted again, and the General rode off. He turned to the men. "Alright lads, the General said I've got to be nice to you. So I thought that we could all march double time until we reach Troy."

"Legion!" Domitus bellowed. "March in double time. Quick March!" The Legion set of towards Troy again. "Any man who complains, will have the honour of being impaled on my javelin." Domitus warned.

The origional men of the XIVth who formed the rearguard, watched all this unfold. "Domitus hasn't changed a bit has he" One of the men said. "I don't think Domitus will ever change." Another said. "He was born to be a Sergeant" The twenty men, who were all that was left of the 4000, who had origionally made up the XIVth legion, laughed.
Last edited by Shadowsun on Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Then who cares? You're a mile away and you've got their shoes.

43 Reviews

Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:09 pm
Thriving Fire says...

Thunderous crashes, cries of desperation, and a single, terrifying bellow. Chaos. Destruction. Fear.
Thy name was Skuller
The troll was no longer in control of his own body. His thick, tree-like limbs were merely weapons set to automatic. They destroyed everything, killed anything. Voices, filled with pure terror, echoed in his ears but they were some how removed from their bodies. Perhaps it was mercilessness, perhaps it was hatred. Whatever it was, the troll loved it; it gave him no conciouns.
Destroy everything, kill anything.
And then he heard it; the Romans were approaching. Along with the rest of him, Skuller's ears were super-sharp, and he could hear a pin drop from 100 miles. That was half the reason for his madness, all that pointless noise clogging his head twenty four hours a day. But now, that noise was proving useful: The Romans were approaching.
A thought struck Skuller, one of a million that passed through his head every day. The Romans were approaching. Time to make use of it.

Skuller stopped moving, and went silent. Slowly he turned toward the assembled crowd and raised his hands.
The Romans were approaching.
Everyone but me

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:07 am
piepiemann22 says...

Kaldore watched as the massive troll sweeped through the lower city. The he saw it. The Romans, those of his country. Those you destroied his life.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

76 Reviews

Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:23 am
Shadowsun says...

The lgeion was nearing Troy. Domitus watched the new recruits stare at the tall walls and massive gate. "What are you doing!" Domitus roared. "Keep your eyes front! Legionnaires do not stare!"

Every eye in the column immediatly snapped their eyes forward. "That's better." Domitus muttered. The column stretched back for miles. Surely it must have been an impressive sight from the city walls. The legion was approaching the city walls. "Legion!" Domitus bellowed. "Halt!" Each legionaire, halted at the same time. A massive clang rose in the air as they clicked their heels together.

A voice sounded from on top of the gate. "Identify yourselves!"

Domitus was furious. "Can't you see that we're bloody Romans!?"

"erm..."

"Open those damn gates!" Domitus was practically shrieking now, his face red and veins bulged in his neck. The gates slowly swung open. Domitus turned to the legion. "We are Legionnaires of the XIVth. We are going to impress these damn Trojans. So look smart!"

"Legion!" Domitus bellowed. "By the left! Quick March!"

The legion set off again.Each man held his head high, each mans armour shone brightly in the morning sun, each man marched in time, each man held their bright red shields as if they weighed nothing. The legion passed through the gate and out into the streets of Troy. Domitus halted by the gate and waited for the entire column to enter Troy. he felt a sudden surge of pride when he saw the last man pas through the gates.The old lads couldn't have done it better. He thought.

When the rearguard entered the city, Domitus joined them as they walked up the road. They talked and laughed about old times. They walked through the streets of Troy towards the plaza, where the Legion had assembled. There stood four thousand legionnaires, standing upright, smartly at attention. They had been split into companies. Each company containing one hundred men. Ten men to each rank. The rearguard took up their position at teh front of the display. Domitus marched up to the front of the display. "Alright lads, we've made it to Troy. But this doesn't mean that you're going to be let of easy. Your training routines will stay the same, and patrols will be one company each day, in the streets. You will make Rome proud in this city. No then. You know your dutys, when I fall you out. You will make towards the barracks. Understood? Good. Legion. Officer on parade dismiss!"

Each man turned to the right. Clicked his heels togheter, saluted and then walked away, conversing with friends and heading towards the barracks. Domitus walked over the Company Alpha. The men of the origional XIVth. The struck up another conversation about old times and set of at a leisurely pace towards the barracks.

A group of Spartans approached them. "Have you seen Skuller?" One ssked.

"Who's Skuller?"

"He's a giant War Troll!"

Domitus' expression changed. His face turned red and veins bulged in his neck. "You brought a Troll into this city!!" He roared. "You dare bring a troll into this city then let it loose! You bloody idiots! Do you have any idea how hard it is to capture a loose Troll! Do you?! Do you?!"

"N.. N.. No" One of the Spartans stammered.

Domitus looked like he might explode. "Do you have any idea how many Trolls I killed in the Great War!! You pathetic, idiots! You let a Troll loose in a City!"

The Spartans stared at him with a look of pure terror.

"Trolls are only used by those too weak to fight! You weak, pathetic Spartans! You brought a Troll into the city!" Domitus screamed.

A member of Alpha company, Tiberius, walked up to the Spartans. "Now would be a good time to run before he gets violent." He whispered.

"V.. v... violent?" One of them stammered.

"Yes!" Tiberius hissed.

The Spartans turned and fled. Domitus looked for the Spartans. "Where did they go?" His voice returned to normal. "Never mind. Lads we're going Troll hunting!"
Last edited by Shadowsun on Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Then who cares? You're a mile away and you've got their shoes.

43 Reviews

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:51 am
Thriving Fire says...

Although he didn't look it, Skuller was amused. The Trojan mob that had assembled in front of him were looking on in such shock that he couldn't help laugh in his head. And this lot were meant to be an army. What a load of rubbish.
Out of the cowardly mob, one man stepped forward. His screamed up at the troll as though he was deaf.
'TROLL!' he roared, 'Don't you dare move! If you do, a thousand arrows will puncture your thick hide!'
In his head, Skuller's laughter got louder. A thousand arrows? The troll couldn't see one. Nevertheless, he didn't move. Lure them into a false sense of security. Humans were foolish like that; get them comfortable and they were sitting ducks.
'Furthermore' continued the speaker, 'The Romans have entered Troy, and they are coming for you. They have the city secure, so don't even think about running.'
Oh no, Skuller wasn't going to move.
At least, until the Romans found him. Then he'd move. And he'd move to kill.
Everyone but me

76 Reviews

Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:08 pm
Shadowsun says...

One of the Trojans ran up to Domitus. "We have found Skuller." He reported. Domitus grabbed the man by his shirt. "Where is he?" He growled.

"He's.. He's in the eastern plaza." The messanger whimpered.

"Take me to him."

"Yes sir."

The messanger turned and led Domitus and his twenty men towards the eastern plaza.

"Those damn Spartans." Domitus muttered.

"Vituvious, go back to the barracks and get the gear. Tiberius, take five men and seal of the plaza. Lucius, form the rest of the men up behind me." Domitus gave out the orders. "Everyones ready? Good. Company!" Domitus bellowed. "Company shun! Company! By the left! Quick March!"

The company set off towards the eastern plaza. They marched through ruined streets and destroyed houses. There was rubble strewn acroos the streets at the entrance to the eastern plaza. "Company! Compnay halt!" The company stopped at the plaza entrance. Vituvious and the others were waiting for him there. "Vituvious, have you got the gear? You have? Good."

"Right then we'll enter the plaza and surround the troll before he can react. Then Vituvious will throw the Capture Sphere and the Troll will be encased in a cage of diamond. Got it? Good." Domitus explained.

Alpha Company stormed into the plaza and saw the massive grey-blue Troll standing in the centre. He was immediately surrounded by the grizzled Veterans. Vituvious threw the small white sphere at the Troll. It smashed against his chest and a sparkling cage emerged around him.
Last edited by Shadowsun on Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

43 Reviews

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:18 pm
Kyuubi says...

Valens strode up to Domitus. He had the reddest face Valens had ever seen.
"So, you're the Roman that my men told me about," Valens said.
"Yes I am. And I would appreciate it even more if you adressed me as sergeant!," Domitus replied.
"I don't have to address you as anything. Last time I checked I was a Lieutenent. And what you just did, sergeant, was capture another countries wartime property. That's a capital offence against our treaties. You could be court martialed for this. However, if you were to release the troll and let me deal with it, I will let this incident slide," Valens said. He knew that Domitus would have to let it go anyway. Either in the wild or kill it.
"Fine. I will release the bloody troll," Domitus said as he waved his hand. Two Roman soldiers took the Capture Sphere away and the encasement faded. Skuller stood there with a look of pure rage on his face. He then charged at Domitus and Valens. Valens ran towards the troll and just when Skuller was about to bring his fist down on top of him, Valens jumped onto Skullers arm and ran to his head. Valens jumped onto the trolls shoulders and drew his blade. He placed the edge right on Skullers neck.
"Don't do it Skuller! Don't do it!" Valens yelled.
"He's going to get himself killed," Domitus said to Vituvious. Skuller was heading towards the Great Hall. Skuller was almost to the wall when Valens decided that Skuller wasn't going to stop. Valens slashed his blade across Skullers neck. Skuller tripped and fell.
"Now!" Valens screamed as he jumped off of the troll. 50 Spartans came out of hiding with steel chains. They shackled Skuller to the ground.

76 Reviews

Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:43 pm
Shadowsun says...

Domitus fumed with rage. His face was bright red and veins bulged in his neck. The nerve of that damn officer. He thought. After he and his men had captured the damn thing the damn officer had ordered him to let it go. The members of Alpha Company, slowly moved away from him.

"Spartans!" He spat.

He stromed off towards the barracks. He entered by the main gate and everyone recoiled in terror from him. He headed towards the practice courts. Domitus turned towards his legionnaires. "For the next day, all of you have extra practice. You will show these pathetic Spartans what it meens to be a soldier."

He selected two men and ordered them to train with him. He selected two wooden short swords from the practice weapons. "Show me your best." He grinned evilly at them. One came high, striking from above, both hands wrapped around the swords hilt. The wooden blade was thrust downwards towards his head. He parried it easily, one blade brought up to intercept it, the other plunged forward, towards the legionnaire. The legionnaire turned his body slightly, so the shield attatched to his arm blocked the attack. The other legionnaire thrust his practice blade towards Domitus' gut. But the attack was blocked by the second blade which flickered for a moment as it changed positions. Domitus moved away from the first legionnaire and closed up with the second. He thrust one blade downwards towards the mans groin and the other slashed at the legionnaires side. The legionnaire brought up his shield to deflect the attack and the blades banged of his shield. Domitus thrust both blades past his side and into the legionnaire who was creeping up behind him. He then kicked the others feet out from underneath him. the other legionnaire plummeted to the ground and Domitus thrust his blade downwards, and held it a millimetre away from the mans chest. "Thats a lesson to you both. Always fight dirty."

Domitus stalked away and selected two more recruits to train with him. The process repeated itslef for the rest of the day. At the end of the day Domitus assembled the bruised legionnaires in the main courtyard of the barracks. "You've all done well lads. You've shown promise and abilitie. You have awed the rest of the occupants of this barracks and you will continue to do so as long as we are posted here. You've all made me proud." Domitus turned and walked away, looking for his quaters. The recruits conversed amongst themselves. Amazed that Domius had actually praised them.

Alpha company hung back from it all and watched them. "It wont last." Tiberius said. "he wont stay like this for long."

"I'm surprsied he acually went this far." Lucius commented. "He usually sets them against each other then leaves them to it."

"It's that Lieutenant thats done it." Vituvious said.

"Tomorrow he'll be back to normal." Furius said.

Night fell. Darkness descended upon Troy. The Legion slept, all but Beta company, who patrolled the streets of Troy on the dark night.

43 Reviews

Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:43 pm
Thriving Fire says...

The next thing Skuller knew he was lying face down on a cold stone floor. His vision was blurred, his head felt like it was impaled on a thousand knives, and his whole body ached with some wretched, unholy throb. The pain was unbearable. The troll couldn't think straight, and could barely breathe. For the first time since his existence as a troll, Skuller felt suffering that he couldn't just brush away. This pain laid itself down and stayed there.
And then, as if by accident, a thought struck Skuller's mind. A niggling, unwanted thought, who's voice was quiet it was barely there. But there it was. It's message echoed in Skuller's head like screams in a museum.
'You're going to die', it said.
And Skuller didn't doubt it for a second.

Trolls were one of the only beings to know what would happen when they died. Most races speculated, others pretended, but trolls knew: it was locked in their heads, from the moment of birth, ironically. They knew the sensations, they knew the feelings, they knew everything.
So as Skuller lay on the cold floor, in the dark, he knew exactly what to expect.

First, his body shut down, and all he lost all feeling. He became just an entity, nothing more than a spirit, drifting around in an endless void.
Next, the void was filled with swirling colour, and the former troll began to see things he had never seen, indescribable, incredible things. Colours moved and danced, endless shades of every colour imaginable. Skuller was blown away by it all. Had he not left his body, his eyes would probably have been blown out of his head. But he had.
And one final thing was to happen before death completely took hold. A figure formed from the colour, solid and real.
If he still existed, Skuller would have smiled. Because the figure that approached him as he lay there dying, was the Troll God, Gogunzola.
Gogunzola didn't speak, didn't move, didn't do anything. It was all up to Skuller; he had to make the final wish. For that was the most ancient troll custom of all during death; the dying Troll was to make a wish and Gogunzola would make it come true.
Skuller conjured up the last of his strength, looked into Gogunzola's bottomless eyes and made his wish.
Troy crushed.
Sparta crushed.
Rome... crushed

With that, Skuller closed his eyes and joined the great trolls in the stars.

And his wishes? Over the time that followed, Gogounzola would make them come true.
Everyone but me

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:06 pm
piepiemann22 says...

The next day Kaldore looked as the sargent of the Romens traind his men. His moves were dirty, but effective. profe that he had been in many battles.

"Your the last one are you. What happened to the other one?" Asked the sargent.

"S, sick," answered the soldier.

"If you need another I'll fight," said Kaldore leaping down from the scafalding. He grabbed a wooden sword and held it up.

"Very well."

The sargent strook at the soldier felling him in one blow.

"Lookes like you want a one on one fight."

He charged and thrusted but Kaldore parried. He ducked to doge the second sword and jabbed his hand into the sargents chest.

"Like you said , fight dirty."

Anger and out of breath he drew two swords. Kaldore did the same. For over fifteen minutes they fought until each tried on last charge. After and exchange of blows the blades were at the others neck.

The spectaters to the fight were supprised. The battle was a draw.

"Your good, you have my respect, for now."

Kaldore gave a slight smile and shethed his weapon. "Until we meet again." He left not looking back.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

43 Reviews

Tue May 01, 2007 11:58 pm
Kyuubi says...

"Poor guy." Valens said as he stood up. He walked over to the troll and closed its eyes. He ordered his men to start cleaning up. It had been a long night and day. He was sure that his men were tired but he needed them to clean up the mess they had made. As valens started to walk over to one of his men, an arrow shot passed his ear and hit the wooden sign post near his head. Everyone that heard and saw it turned towards the source.
"You should not have come to this place, Spartan. Nor should have you, Roman." A black creature sat on the roof of a house holding a bow. Domitus started to walk over when he saw that everyone was standing around and looking at the roof. Valens could not make out the definate shape of the creature but finally deduced that it had no definate shape. It was a shadow of dark magic.
"Your destruction will be the will of the Gods. The darkness shall rule over all and you will be powerless to stop it." the creature said as it started to stand. It then diappeared. This sent the city in an uproar of questions and uncertaintes.

“If lightning is the anger of the gods, then the gods are concerned mostly about trees.”
— Lao Tzu