z

Young Writers Society

A Child's Fantasy (Accepting)

Reviews: 4
Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:35 pm
MayApple says...

Barric

What was the meaning of this? I wondered to myself as the prince, in the flesh, strode into the room. I would have said that Ren captured him, and he was at a death sentence, but his gait was confident. Not a gait of someone about to meet the blade. On instinct, my hand went to my sword. After Ren spoke, mass chaos commenced. I wondered at them all, acting like this in front of the captain, one would think they were all drunk.

I held my hand up, and Ren looked at me.

"Silence," she commanded of the crowd. Though there were still hushed whispers, mostly it was silent. I approached her, and then took her hand. I kissed it softly, then looked into her eyes. After a second, I began to speak.

"Do you realize who he is?" I asked her. She frowned, and I clarified for her, "Of course, I mean, but he is the prince. His father is the reason we are here, do you even realize...?" I trailed off. I didn't want to offend her, but I wanted to make myself clear.

"Of course I do, Barric, and you would do well not to judge," she said this to me only, and opened her mouth as if to continue.
Life is a door, and I hold the key to happiness.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:48 pm
Kaywiia says...

Ren

I opened my mouth to continue, "Who are any of us, in fact to judge? Barric, you yourself are worse than the prince. You are the kings best knight, are you not? What you all may not know, what I am sure you don't know, is Enyalius is not welcome at the castle. As far as I know, he is against the king as me. Maybe for different reasons, but he is disliked by the king as much as us. We cannot judge someone by whom they are related to. I am a duchess, a daughter of the top advisor to the king, and I stand as your leader. Are there any questions?" Although my speech must have sounded impressive, it was planned. Much of what I had said was carefully prepared in my mind. No one had to know that, though.

The whole room was dead silent. Not even the crickets outside could be heard. I turned to the larger crowd, "Take your seats," a large table had already been put in the middle of the tent. All the officials took there seats. I gestured for Enyalius to take a seat on my left. The seat had at a time been reserved for my co-captain, but he wasn't at camp at the moment. Barric was on my right, as my top spy. Until today, I had thought he deserved that position. But I had seen a very different side of him, and it worried me.

"Now, we have a map of the castle. All secret passageways are marked," I watched as Gris stood up in the back, "and Gris will tell you of his plan. I myself haven't heard it. I have a feeling this will be very entertaining. Gris, the stage is yours." I sat down in my chair, and watched as the heads of the officials all turned towards the back of the table.
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:44 am
RayneChild says...

**I'll bring you in, Ladyofthedeathroses

Nightfall

I ran through the forest, back to the village where I had left the girl. I could still feel Elizabeth gripping the belt that was fastened around my neck. When I finally began feeling tired, I slowed to a stop and Elizabeth, taking the hint, stepped off. I changed back into my hybrid form and took the belt off my neck. I tightened it around my waist and we continued walking.

Suddenly, from somewhere beside us, there came a rustling in the bushes. Great. Now what? I morphed into a tiger and stood in front of Elizabeth.

"You may as well come out," I growled quietly.

After a couple of seconds, a fairy fluttered out of the leaves. Her hair matched the color of the deepest part of the ocean, and flowed down her back like a dark waterfall. I raised an eyebrow as I watched her. Elizabeth seemed to be breath taken, but I was always on guard. The dark fairy smiled mischievously.

---

There we are :) Fox, does Cassie need to be saved? Because I could work out a rescue, if you need.

~Rayne
Singing: It's more than my forte; it's my fortissimo
---
They say "Guns don't kill people. People kill people."
Well, I think guns help. If you just stand there and yell BANG I don't think you're going to kill too many people...

Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:50 pm
MayApple says...

Barric

What was this fool doing in the co-captains seat? I shot a nasty glare at Enyalius. I regained composure when Ren looked at me, and put on a blank expression. I still couldn't believe he was even here. I, of course, respected Ren's decision, but did it have to be him?

Gris wove a plan, and I listened intently. I had my part in it, of course. Most of the officials did. It was a risky job, but worth it. Being the top spy wasn't easy, but I did it, for Ren. I turned to look at her, she was studying Gris, listening intently as I pretended to be. Her finger drummed on the table, impatient for her part in the scheme. If I knew nothing else about her, it was that she hated sitting around. She was a do-er, she wanted something done, and got it done herself. Unlike the last captain, she didn't sit around and give orders. She worked harder than any of us.

I turned again to look at her. She caught my eye, and I winked at her. she gave me a bemused smile, then turned back to look at Gris. I turned around, ignoring the glare the prince was giving me. That was for his benefit anyway, he had to stay away from my girl.

42 Reviews

Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:13 pm
Kaywiia says...

Ren

"And," Gris continued, "We even have bait." He pointed a long, bony finger towards Enyalius with a half-evil grin. He had gone too far. The rest of his plan was crazy, but this was over the line.

"Over my dead body!" I slammed my hand down on the table. There was a collective gasp from the audience, but I ignored it. "And, Gris, I think I will give you some time to re-think this plan. Until then, you are all dismissed. Except you, Gris."

He hobbled over to me. "I have upset you, milady?" He looked genuinely worried. I wasn't sure if saying that was to test me, aggravate Enyalius, or something else entirely. Who knew what was going on in his twisted mind? I put my hands on my hips.

"Yes, you have. I wonder, in fact, why you chose Enyalius to target. until less than five minutes ago, you didn't know he was with us." I glared into his beady little eyes, and my own narrowed.

"It made since, and the plan would have gone along smoother," he made excuse after excuse. I leaned closer to him, my every movement threatening and challenging.

"Well, re-think...your....plan." With that, I strode out of the tent. I masked my anger well, but I didn't hesitate as I went directly to my tent. I wanted nothing to do with Gris, now, or any plan he came up with.

Reviews: 1
Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:30 pm
Fox says...

Cassie

I was beginning to get worried. One of the guards that had taken me was the one that tried to take me before. That was, until that girl mauled him. I dared not giggle at the memory, but it was kinda of funny. His face was scratched from her attack on him. I hadn't realized I was smiling until the guard spat, "What you smilin' at girl?" He shook my arm.

"N-nothing." I said. Ow! That hurt. What was wrong with that meanie! I didn't know how I was going to get out of this. I wasn't a fairytale creature, so they would have no reason to take me. Why did they? My face went blank as I realized it. The king must know about me.

I thought hard. How could he have known about me? And, what all did he know? How am I going to get out of this? All these questions and more raced through my head. I didn't know what was going on, but we were suddenly in a large room. In front of me was a large red chair, and in it sat the king.

Oh no! I thought. The guard threw me onto the ground. Again, I repeat: he was a big, fat meanie! People like that really irritate me! I got up and stood before the king. He was one greedy person. His chair was huge, and around him there were guards. I noticed a small girl with long black hair on his left side.

I waited for the king to speak. He had an evil grin on his face that made me sick.
Last edited by Fox on Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am a fox, sly and quick.
I never give up
I never quit

I do what I can
I stand and fight

I strategize
I stand tall
throughout the night

I am a fox

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:41 pm
View Likes
Jetpack says...

Enyalius

He wandered out of the tent with no sense of direction, only wanting to go back inside and hear what Ren was saying to Gris. Enyalius had seen the man cower under the same hateful stare Ren had only a day before directed towards Enyalius, but now, she was defending him, much to the annoyance of the blond knight, Barric. Barric had spent most of the meeting darting glares at Enyalius and winks or flirtatious smiles at Ren, both as often as he could. The prince had reacted with a blank expression.

"Prince!" Barric's voice carried across the camp, and Enyalius winced. "May I speak with you a moment?"

"Barric? My name is Enyalius; my title is Prince. Would you prefer it if I called you Mister?" Enyalius could see Ren out of the corner of his eye, leaving the tent and striding straight over to her own. Sera was hanging about near the meeting tent's entrance, and Enyalius saw that she was watching him.

Barric sniffed and straighted up. "It's Sir, actually, but no matter. I wanted to ask you a question, then, Enyalius. Will you answer me truthfully?"

"Of course. Do I strike you as a liar?" Enyalius smiled as Barric reddened, but it didn't last long.

"I know nothing about you, Prince Enyalius. All I have to work with are your... family values," he finished, grinning himself now as Enyalius flinched.

"Ask your question, Sir Barric. In case you haven't noticed, we're planning to overthrow a tyrant in the next week. Time is of the essence."

Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:50 pm
MayApple says...

Barric

I know nothing about you, Prince Enyalius. All I have to work with are your... family values," I fingered a ring on my finger, being careful of how I worded my question, lest he get the wrong idea. I thought through each word carefully. I couldn't afford to make a mistake.

"Ask your question, Sir Barric. In case you haven't noticed, we're planning to overthrow a tyrant in the next week. Time is of the essence." I didn't like hos demeanor very much, but I knew what I was about to ask was best for Ren. Otherwise, I wouldn't have granted him with my presence. I didn't think he deserved to be at this camp, but Ren seemed to think he did. I sometimes wonder what went on in that beautiful head of hers.

"Do you know of how Ren feels for you? No, let me rephrase that; do you have feelings for Ren? " I asked. I looked him over, wondering whether his actions might give him away. His face was carefully unsurprised. I grinned, waiting for his answer. This was going to be very interesting. I waited to see if he would dare lie to me. My hand went to the sword on my belt.

197 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:16 pm
Jetpack says...

Enyalius

Underneath his calm demeanour, Enyalius was panicking. He couldn't put any feeling he had for Ren into words when he wasn't entirely sure what he felt for her himself, but Barric was clearly expecting an answer. He's in love with Ren, Enyalius thought, and I'm the son of his enemy, who's travelled alone with her for a while. More than enough reason for him to hate me.

"Does it matter?" Enyalius asked, his voice rising in pitch slightly.

"Of course it matters!" Barric snapped, letting his hand linger near the sword on his belt. He drew breath. "Yes, it matters. I don't want Ren's decisions to be compromised -"

"You'd question her leadership?" Enyalius said, scrambling for the loophole that was appearing.

"I'm questioning you, and you've yet to answer," Barric replied, hand firmly gripping the sword. He'd raised his voice and now the whole camp was aware that something was going on. Sera was watching with interest from her vantage point. "Are you, or are you not, in love with Ren? Answer carefully."

"I don't know, Sir Barric." The words felt alien in Enyalius' mouth. It was rare for him to admit he didn't know an answer. "It couldn't work, even if I am... in love with her, due to who and what I am. Nothing can happen. Does that satisfy you?"

42 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:05 pm
Kaywiia says...

Sera

"Gentlemen, please, behave," I stepped closer. I was doing this for the sake of preventing an argument. Ren wouldn't like that, as much as I would. "Clearly neither of you are worthy of her, so both of you can just give up now," there were snickers and laughs from the onlooking crowd. I continued, "And why Ren would even co-exist with scum like you is beyond me." I put one hand on my hip, and used the other to flip a strand of hair over my shoulder.

I set my red eyes on Barric. There was only one person I hated more than the king, and that was Barric. Enyalius followed in a close third. I grinned, "If you ladies will excuse me." I walked away, putting a swagger in my step.

I walked up to Ren's tent. I opened the flap as I stated my question, "How much did you hear?"

Ren

"Hear of what?" I played innocent. I heard every word exchanged between Barric and Enyalius, but more than that, I was surprised Enyalius' words had hurt me. They had no reason to. I was being stupid, and letting my heart rule my head.

"They were shouting, and your lying to me. There is no way you didn't hear."

I avoided her question, "Even if I heard it, why do you care?" I always left room for doubt, so my words couldn't be used against me. It was a skill I had learned a long time ago.

"We were friends, Ren. I don't know what's happened to you. Actually," she snarled, "I know exactly what happened." She strode out of the tent with a huff, "You have a visitor."

I watched as Barric entered my tent.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:31 pm
MayApple says...

Barric

"I don't know, Sir Barric. It couldn't work, even if I am... in love with her, due to who and what I am. Nothing can happen. Does that satisfy you?" No, it doesn't. There was an implication in his words I didn't like, but I didn't need to quarrel with someone as worthless as him. I opened my mouth to speak, but the little fire-witch came over to us.

"Gentlemen, please, behave, clearly neither of you are worthy of her, so both of you can just give up now, and why Ren would even co-exist with scum like you is beyond me." Sera grinned. "If you ladies will excuse me." I had never hated her so much.

I followed after her, in a right state to give her a piece of my mind. She walked towards Ren's tent, and therefore that was my destination as well. When I reached Ren's tent, Sera flew past me in a huff. I ignored her.

I walked into Ren's tent, and pulled her into a hug. She pushed me off.

"Stop, Barric," she said, and turned her back to me. I placed my arms gently on her forearms, hoping to calm her.

42 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:39 pm
Kaywiia says...

Ren

I folded my arms across my chest, and turned my back to him. I felt his hands on my forearms, gently placed. If he meant to calm me, he was doing the wrong thing. Still, I didn't make a movement to move them. I needed friends, not enemies, from people as powerful as him. I had no choice but to respond like I loved him. If he went and told the king our plans, we were finished. So this was what it came down to.

He took a step closer to me, and I made no move to go away, as much as my instincts told me to. I knew I had to do this, if I ever wanted my plan to work. I also now knew why being a leader was such a challenge, and I understood what sacrifices had to be made to keep the balance.

"I'm sorry for Sera's behavior, she can be a little cruel." I apologized for her, knowing the words 'I'm sorry' would never willingly come out of her lips.

"It's fine, Ren. I am more worried about your friend Enyalius. He doesn't seem to be adjusting."

"Give him time," I said, hoping my words would be true, and he could find a way to appear more comfortable here.

197 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:00 pm
Jetpack says...

((Guys, I'm going on holiday for two weeks without regular access to a computer, and I'm torn between sending Enyalius off in a huff into the middle of nowhere or just leaving him to vacantly wander around. Any ideas? It seems a waste to drop the character 'cause it's going pretty well.))

42 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:23 pm
Kaywiia says...

Let him wander around camp, it will make things easier when you get back.

Reviews: 1
Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:18 am
Fox says...

And when you get back, we'll tell you what you missed.
I am a fox, sly and quick.
I never give up
I never quit

I do what I can
I stand and fight

I strategize
I stand tall
throughout the night

I am a fox

Percy fell face-first into his pizza.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena