z

Young Writers Society

Deadly [OOC]

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:18 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

The out-of-character discussion, please scheme to your heart's content!

The RP: Deadly

The Characters:

@AlmostImmortal

Spoiler! :
Name: Malvis Adler
Height: Usually around 5'8" or 1.72 metres.
Eye colour: Her left eye is dark brown, and her right eye is entirely black.
Physical appearance: Her general appearance can change at will (minus the scar across her right eye and her eye colour), but she does have a base appearance that she is most of the time—Picrew in the spoiler below.
Favourite clothing style/outfit: Malvis prefers gothic looks in red and black.
Fighting Style: Malvis tends to excel in quiet assassinations due to being trained in the Sicilian fighting style, Paranza Corta. Image of the knife she uses below.

Images on Page 2

@JoyDark

Spoiler! :
Name: Lawrence Caston

Pronouns: he/him

Physical appearance: 5'7'' (170 cm), on the thinner side with lean muscle. Looks kind of weak until you're actually fighting him. Olive skin, dark hair with loose curls cut short on the sides and floppy on top. Deep-set hazel eyes, bumpy nose, crooked smile. Usually wears a clean vest, a collared shirt and tie, presentable slacks, and half-polished shoes. Occasionally wears a newsboy cap. A mix of rakish and greasy-looking.
Personality: Cocky, confident, tries to be charming. Knows how he looks and plays it up/down depending on the situation. Has personal connections to the Castons, which ensures his loyalty, but dislikes following orders that conflict with his interests. Can get hot-headed when the situation is out of his control. Still learning to rein in his impulses. He likes to believe that despite his weaknesses, he is still better than everyone in at least one way. Tries to find what that "one way" is and use it in whatever situation he's in. If he can't find that "one way," he tends to get obsessed with the person he can't beat (i.e. gets jealous, holds a grudge, works hard to best them the next time around).

Fighting Style: Punching, kicking, dodging, shooting. He's quick and stronger than he looks, which catches his opponents off guard. He's got a pistol and a knife on him at all times, but he likes to get creative and use whatever's around to help him fight (e.g. a clothing iron, a beer bottle, etc.). He fights dirty, makes messes, and doesn't give a damn.

Role in the Family: He's the guy who comes knocking when you haven't paid your due. A kind of representative for the Caston family, Lawrence steps in to make deals, keep connections, and assert the family's dominance around the city. He's usually pretty good at his job, but occasionally he gets sidetracked by his own emotions and interests. He's still a little inexperienced at managing himself, but he's working on it.

@SebiGhoul

Spoiler! :
Name: Biddy Junebug

Pronouns: she/her

Physical description: Biddy is about average height for a gal. She has brown eyes and blonde hair that's about to the bottom of her shoulder bones. She typically wears two different styles of clothing. Common, nondescript clothes, whatever that means for the area she's in, when she's intending on potentially stealing something, or attention grabbing statement pieces with a thousand straps, some sequins and a random assortment of belt buckles and occasionally some brooches for good measure when she's not. She does occasionally enjoy a "simple" flapper dress, though.

General personality:(disclaimer: this is simply surface level observations - what a stranger would think of her upon meeting)
When in flashy clothing Biddy is very bubbly and talkative, she always has something to say, though it may not be strictly relevant to the conversation at hand. She's occasionally a bit flirtatious, and enjoys a lot of attention on her.
When in "common" clothes: Biddy will attempt to blend into the crowd, and may say her name is Bonnie, Brooke or Bea if asked about it. She's still prone to talking a whole lot if approached by a stranger with conversation, but generally tries to stay away from attention grabbing behaviors.

Other Information: Biddy's full name isnt known. Its a good guess that her first name would be Bridget, as thats what Biddy is shorthand for, but other then that she wont reveal anything regarding her actual name. Either family may know it but common folk or general work associates wouldnt. Shes not explicitly tied to either family, though that could change if she was offered a good enough deal or decided she enjoyed the company of one particular family a lot. Shes generally a thief, and will rarely participate in small to medium scale robberies if offered the opportunity and a good cut.
Last edited by Teddybear on Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

Reviews: 0
Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:33 pm
View Likes
SebiGhoul says...

maybe i should join... maybe
they/them

95 Reviews

Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:42 pm
Teddybear says...

Ah so you're in, welcome Sebs.

he/they

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:32 am
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

I love thieves. Where do I sign up?
She/They/Fae

“the wist i knew would never allow a straight boy in their stories” ~Omni
“Hi Omni can I request wist get the role mom friend :]" ~winter
“ah yes, fear Wist's smile :) <- speaks of layers and layers of secrets” ~mint

95 Reviews

Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:36 am
Teddybear says...

@AlmostImmortal right here! I shall join in scheming tomorrow but please do drop any initial character ideas (or other plot/setting ideas for that matter, I'm down to build the setting and such collaboratively) in here!

he/they

31 Reviews

Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:40 am
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

Is this story focused on a specific band of thieves, or is it more of a turf-war thing? I'm down for either or a mix of both. I have a character I can adapt to this setting if you don't mind a slight magical element.
She/They/Fae

95 Reviews

Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:54 am
Teddybear says...

I'd prefer any magic to be mild and kinda weak, nothing really all that powerful at all. As for the plot, it honestly depends on the characters people want to create and what sides they want to put them on, what their motives are, etc. I don't want to limit anyone by building a plot before the characters.

he/they

31 Reviews

Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:58 am
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

Basically, my character’s magic doesn’t work for combat. It’s a more passive thing where she just dictates her appearance. It’s like very weak shapeshifting.
She/They/Fae

95 Reviews

Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:01 am
Teddybear says...

That's a pretty perfect amount of magic for the setting, so go for it! Do you want her to be part of one of the crime families, and if so about where do you want her to rank on the hierarchy?

he/they

31 Reviews

Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:10 am
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

In my story, Malvis is akin to a crime boss. However, I don’t want her to be too OP if that gives her an unfair advantage over everyone else.
She/They/Fae

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:11 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

The Adler family controls everything west of the river, and the Castons claim the east

I wanna know a bit more about these two families and what they're like pls
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:46 am
View Likes
SebiGhoul says...

Id also like to know more about the family. Also what time period is the setting roughly based on?
they/them

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:30 am
View Likes
JoyDark says...

Seems pretty cool. What sort of roles would characters for the RP fit into? e.g. are the head honchos of the families up for grabs, or are our protagonists more lower-ranking, run-of-the-mill criminals?
she/her

woah
i actually made a post
pretty radical if you ask me

95 Reviews

Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:21 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Okay, going down the list of questions:

The Adler family controls the more 'high end' side of town, and are more known for controlling the local police and politicians, but are seen as 'less violent' than the Castons. The Adlers commit a lot of heists, a lot of art theft and forgery. They're kinda the 'white collar' criminals, for the most part. There is plenty of violence and such behind the scenes, and it's still a really, really bad idea to get on their bad side, but their image is certainly more 'clean' than the Castons.

The Caston family, meanwhile, control the poorer areas of the city. They're seen as more violent, more 'bad news', yada yada, but a lot of that is because the media is not a fan of poor people in general. The majority of their crimes are similar to the Adlers, being mostly thieves, but they focus on jewels and electronics. They have a tap on the flow of information through the city. Anything you need to know, they knew it first. They make most of their own gadgets and distribute them amungst each other, so most of their tools and weapons are homemade and unique.

The time period is ambiguously 1920s-30s, but if you want to do a Series of Unfortunate Events-style anachronistic character who appears to be from whatever other time period but just lives in this city and no one seems to notice any difference, or similar technologies like swords and clothing and whatever you like, I'm down. Reality is what we want it to be.

As for the available characters, I'd like to coordinate so that there's a likelihood of the characters all actually interracting, but in theory basically anyone is up for grabs. I considered using my mafia-style criminal characters for the head honchos at first, but I decided to leave them ambiguous and up for grabs until everyone has decided who they'd like to write.

So basically, if you want to be the Big Man In Charge, please just make sure that you're open to a plot that will allow your character to actually consistently be involved with all the other characters. Otherwise, go wild.

Regardless of who you all want to write I'm sure I'll be able to spin something that'll let everyone be involved, so don't worry about it too much, just try to be open to the scheming.

he/they

Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:26 pm
View Likes
SebiGhoul says...

IS the prohibition a thing then? or no?
they/them

[while trapped in a bucket of popcorn] You know what the worst part is? It's not even butter. We're gonna be destroyed by... ARTIFICIAL FLAVORING!
— Blake Bradley, Power Rangers Ninja Storm