Young Writers Society

Battle School DT

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:21 pm
jimss23 says...

@Basil
@LordZeus

I going to agree with Basil in that we shouldn't match skin tone with places. I don't think it's a good idea to get tied down with physical appearances much. It is whatever y'all want to do. They are your characters so I encourage you to do what you think best suits your OC.
This is the Rule of Three
Every writer's most sacred oath
Two boys to challenge each other
One girl to challenge them both

-Jim

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:53 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@LordZeus @jimss23 Personally the only reason why my character is dark-skinned is due to family heritage, and they are travelers to begin with, AKA not fully native to the North. As long as the skin color or any other cultural/genetical heritage is explained through character lore later in the posts, I don't think it should be a problem.
Taking my country - France - as an example, most people around the north hate the heat, love the cold, and are pale white. Yet I was born in Paris - the North - am black, and ADORE the heat. I also am faaaaar from being the only one in that case. Point being, I don't think this should be much of a problem as long as it's adressed as our characters talk. After all, color-confusion is a problem in real life, so hey, that's part of the package.

Putting that slightly aside, thanks in advance for the NPC doc, Jimmy! Quite the organization you got there. Here's to hope this'll be enjoyable to write for :3
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:18 pm
LordZeus says...

@jimss23 I decided to change Devon to fair, since I realized that being mistaken for a southerner is major part of mic character, since it pushes him to do is best to behave as northern as can, and embody the characteristics of the north as much as possible. I hope that's okay. Of course, I don't mean to say that all the Southerners are one thing, and the north another, but that generally (i.e. the majority) each region's citizens look a certain way. I hope that's okay.

BTW I'll soon be changing my CP to remove all mentions of Devon being Lady Jace's brother. Just a few queries so that I'm sure, I take it that the North at least follows a mainly patriarchal society, since you said that she's the family leader only because she's the only child? Also, since you said House Jace is the current leader, does that mean that the leadership of the North shifts from member to member of the Ice Council? If so, how does this happen?

52 Reviews

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:08 am
jimss23 says...

Yes, the Northerner culture is patriarchal. Also what I meant by "current" was that unlike the South who is ruled by one house, it is theoretically possible for another House to arise to power but is extremely unlikely as Jace has been running the North for a while.

Skin is still your personal preference. I'm gonna be hands off about that.

-Jim

52 Reviews

Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:07 pm
View Likes
jimss23 says...

Hey all,

We are starting tomorrow! Does anyone have any preference to who goes first?

I am more than willing to, but I was wondering if anyone else wanted to go. The Powerpoint will be out later today; I am just putting the finishing touches on it.

Let me know if anyone needs more time before starting or if we need to put it off a day.

Cheers,

Jimmy

-Jim

39 Reviews

Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:19 pm
View Likes
LordZeus says...

Personally @jimss23, I think it would be best if you go first. You are our fearless leader after all. Leading us out into a bold new world :D :P

40 Reviews

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:04 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@jimss23 What Zeus said! I got a few things ready for my first post, but come now, it wouldn't feel right if you weren't the one to take the lead on this one, Jimmy :3

As for the time issue, personally, I'm eager, and good to go!
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?

52 Reviews

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:40 pm
jimss23 says...

NPC

@Tortwag
@LordZeus
@Sheyren
@Basil
@Remembrance
@Terian805

Here is the link to the PowerPoint I made. I hope you all find this useful.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mxNvc ... jH8dkwhcPo
Last edited by jimss23 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

-Jim

52 Reviews

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:18 pm
jimss23 says...

Does anyone have recommendations on if I should write in First or Third Person?

-Jim

39 Reviews

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:25 pm
LordZeus says...

@jimss23 whichever you are most comfortable with. I prefer third person personally, since it allows me to think of my character more separately from myself and see things and make decisions through his eyes, but it's up to you.

I used to use first person so I see the benefits of that as well, since it allows a deeper connection with your character and more intimacy with his thoughts and feelings (at least in my experience). Choose whichever one you think fits you and your character better, and how you want to portray him in the eyes if the reader.

40 Reviews

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:43 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

Third Person seem to appear a lot from what I've seen, but given that it varies from SB to SB, you can do whatever you wish, and ask use to do whatever we wisha s well provided that nothing's too confusing.
Personally I'm going for third person, past tense.

PS: ...That powerpoint is neat, the fact that you've even bothered making it is freaking fantastic, and so is your effort in making this world live.

39 Reviews

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:53 pm
View Likes
LordZeus says...

@jimss23 I'm going for the same as Tortwag, and I agree with his sentiments exactly. Really well detailed and great presentation. Just one thing, could you tell us a little about the King please? I just want to know what he's basically like.
Last edited by LordZeus on Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

40 Reviews

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@LordZeus *Pssht. I'm a... I'm a guy. it's shown right next to my gender.*

39 Reviews

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:02 pm
LordZeus says...

@Tortwag On a phone. Autocorrect did that, sorry :P

I'm not sure how, but it changed hw into her (I just tried to edit). I've been saying a lot of 'her's lately, soooo maybe that's it.

40 Reviews

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:05 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@LordZeus Ah, so your phone, too, possesses a wonderfully random autocorrect depending on recent inputs. That's... fun XD

Some twenty years from now, users will ask a similar question about world famous Chicken poetry and Google will tell them about alliyah.
— Hkumar