z

Young Writers Society

The Maze of the Guilds DT

Choose Zyreli's fate

1) Through magic or steel, Zyreli's quest will when he draws his final breath in battle.
23%
2) Let Zyreli meet his end unaware as he foolishly dies by the hands of a trap in one of the Towers.
8%
3) A fate truly worse than death- enslavement. Zyreli was too weak to withstand the stronger forces of those who guard the Pages, and will spend a lifestyle in servitude of them, until age or starvation claims his life.
69%

Total votes : 13

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:00 pm
StupidSoup says...

there is no deadline when astral is here :o
I have a license that lets me solve aids - A friend of mine

Here Comes the Birdyyyy ~Poopsie

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:39 am
Lumi says...

Gotta back out of this. Kill off Spice Spice kindly pl0x.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:46 am
View Likes
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

Awww... :'( Okay, Lumi, it seems Boros will be the first to be wiped out then. Won't that be surprising for the Ravnican people that the military-guild is the first one's to die.

Also, although the official deadline is in next year, I really want to start the first Trial before my birthday (thus, before the 22nd of December), just for the sake of keeping the SB going.
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:48 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

We are delighted to have you back, @SpiritedWolfe! And your post was excellently written too - I see those three months proved to be a valuable use of time.

I have awarded you twenty points for your skeleton's post. The two Storybook credits, however, you must first claim in the SB Challenges thread before I can grant them.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:51 pm
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

I'm currently working on Avali's post as well, so once I finish his in hopefully the next day or so, I'll claim them ^^ And thank you! Glad you liked it ~ (And also relieved :3)
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:47 am
Persistence says...

@SpiritedWolfe, I love your post

Though, you have the same paragraph repeating: paragraphs 7 and 8 are the same. It's nothing big, since one can just skip one of them, but I just thought it would be good to point it out.

Love your writing, you're awesome. Have a great day!
Deep thoughts remind me of unfinished

62 Reviews

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:49 am
View Likes

@SpiritedWolfe, what a thrilling post! Avali has been awarded his 30 points, and you may go claim your credits in the Challenge forum...

@CandyWizard, @AstralHunter, @Halfbloodcheetah and @Pretzelstick, please submit your characters' entry post.

The details, rules and conditions for the Trials shall be put up later today, as well as the sorting of the Champions (as in, at what gate of the Maze alongside who they will begin)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

62 Reviews

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:53 am
View Likes

Also, I shall put up the first shop option for the Merchant. You don't have to buy at the shop (using your character's individual point tally as currency), or you can save (which obviously will have its benefits, as I'll explain later)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:20 pm
SpiritedWolfe says...

I'm sorry, Wandering, but 20 or 30? Not a big deal just the info on the first post of the DT doesn't match up with what you just said. I'm fine with either, just need to know how many to claim in the challenge xD
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

62 Reviews

Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:11 pm

Oh sorry!! Typo!! ;-) Avali gets 30 points, so you can go claim your 3 credits in the forum.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:02 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Everyone, please do claim your credits in the SB Challenge thread, otherwise I can't grant them. Also, if you are in other SBs, please try to finish the Captain's Challenge. I don't want to be the only one to claim credits this month.

My posts for this SB will be up tomorrow at the latest, but hopefully before today is over.

PS: Please go to Deskro's first post and like each post you have read from then on, and if you haven't, please do so soon. We shall use the likes to see how up-to-date you all are, à là C.A.M.P.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

62 Reviews

Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:23 pm
View Likes

Okay, so I have sorted everyone to their specific Gate... There are two Champions per Gate, neither of the same Guild nor same alliance of Guilds. The Gate to which they were assigned is connected to one of their Guild mana types (so Azorius would have one Champion at a Blue mana Gate and another at a White mana Gate, etc)
Here is the list, with an explanation on the Maze sector types and the Gates...

1) The Bone Gate- Azorius (Mannaric), Orzhov (Revan)
2) The Ebony Gate- Rakdos (Zefen Ga Fitzbyr), Golgari (Asyphixius Poisonim)
3) The Ivy Gate- Gruul (Manelau ReTimm), Simic (Aquanette Evenestra)
4) The Midnight Gate- Dimir (Raevelle Aisling Ghornal), Izzet (Zyreli Zyherst)
5) The Coral Gate- Rakdos (Avali Hans Smythe), Boros (Tumeric Baharat)
6) The Ivory Gate- Selesnya (Darryon Pippalook), Boros ( )
7) The Obsidian Gate- Orzhov (Nefarias Mora), Dimir (Frost Lorelyne)
8 ) The Moss Gate- Golgari (Nachtan Telomon Bias), Selesnya (Tane Mahuta Selesnya)
9) The Sky Gate- Azorius (Iwanacio Flass), Simic (Lysander Simic)
10) The Rust Gate- Izzet (Sibylla Rathbone), Gruul (Mirgajan Gedoraws)
11) The Snow Gate- Guildless (Severan Calerus Torin), Guildless (Trykster Rivelle)

The colour of the Gate name shows into what sector type it enters. The Maze is primarily circular on the outside, so the Gates go around it in a clock-like fashion. The sequence of the sectors are as follows (White, Black, Green, Blue, Red, White, Black, Green, Blue, Red, White)

Okay, on to the mana types and Maze sectors.

As I believe I have mentioned before, there are five types of mana in Ravnica, i.e. White,Blue, Black, Red and Green. Each mana type has different focus on magic, and also has a different "personality" of sorts.
Each Guild in Ravnica has two primary mana types, which is why there are ten Guilds. The assignment of the Gates thus took into account which mana types each Guild uses, and sorted them accordingly.

Now, the Maze is essentially in control of the five types of mana, and is divided into sectors where the mana types are more dominant over the others. This does not mean that the other types of mana can't be used there. It simply defines how the Maze would set up its traps, creatures and puzzles for the Champions in each sector.

White- This type of sector is very misleading. It would use light as a weapon against you, and will have many light-centered traps (like the floor would have a pattern of deadly light, etc) This sector also likes putting the Champions at ease before catching them unawares (thus, it will look safe and quiet just before a monster jumps at you from seemingly nowhere)

Blue- This type of sector focuses on water and the mind. Many of the passages will be partially flooded or have some form of water present, usually filled with water-related beasts. This sector also likes playing with your head, using your senses (like hearing, sight, etc) to confuse, bewilder and make you panic, and the beasts in this type of sector also tends to be more intelligent then the other sectors'...

Black- This type of sector plays with one thing: fear. Filled with many confusing turns and severely dark passages (very little light), this sector's beasts toy with you, breaking you down mentally and emotionally before striking. It is also filled with spirits, who tend to play on your emotions (calling out to you in familiar voices, etc)

Red- This type of sector is the most aggressive. It is filled with fire and heat-related traps, and has violent, blood-thirsty beasts with one agenda: to kill Champions.

Green- This type of sector is filled with plantlife. The walls and passages are overgrown with vines, brambles and other manner of plants, all usually trying to secretly catch and kill Champions. The traps and puzzles usually involve overcoming fears or desires to get through them. The beasts in this sector are wild, but still have a manner of intelligence. They are extremely sneaky and use the plants, passages and natural camouflage to trick Champions.

I shall post the rules and conditions of the Trials a little later... Any questions, please ask them so I can answer before posting the other information.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:33 pm
LordZeus says...

Will our characters see each other at the maze? I mean, I know they will see the other person sent to the gate, but what about all the other contestants? Will they all see each other or will that happen later?

62 Reviews

Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:38 pm

Obviously they will see the Champion with them at a Gate, and maybe they will see the Champions at the two Gates at either side of them (if they have excellent eyesight), but since the Maze is so large, no. So you'll essentially be going in not knowing anything about your competitors...

Also, the Maze has a strict rule that you're not allowed to kill the Champion you share a Gate with until the first Trial starts, but usually you'll have split up by then, so...
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

62 Reviews

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:31 am
View Likes

*Kindly requests for @AstralHunter, @CandyWizard and @Pretzelstick to post their remaining entry posts*

Once all the posts are up, I will discuss the Trials with you all.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

But answer me this: how can a story end happily if there is no love?
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane