z

Young Writers Society

Necropolis Discussion Thread

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:34 pm
TNCowgirl says...

I think that is a good idea, I might have my girl listen in if no one notices her before that.
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:26 pm
Charlie II says...

I'm gonna be a maverick:

Let's split the group.

To be honest, there's so many in Costco now that it's hard to keep track of all the characters. Focusing on developing relationships between characters is hard because there's so damn many of them! We have a choice between spreading the concentration of character interaction by staying as one group, or making the relationships more intense and personal by splitting the group again.

Obviously, we don't want numerous factions breaking away: that was what we brought everyone together to remedy. So, I propose splitting the big 'mass' of survivors into two distinct groups. One will leave Costco and one will stay. Clearly, the weaker and injured members of the party will be in the group that stays, and the ones up for a bit of zombie hunting will leave.

The motives of the two groups (and why they're splitting) is up to us, the authors. I'm not going to post my ideas of what to do just yet; I'd like to get a little audience participation first. Any ideas? Think my proposal is stupid? Wanna keep the group together instead?

Shoot guys. Let's hear what you've all got.

Charlie
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:29 pm
TNCowgirl says...

It wouldn't really make sense for them to leave Costco, in my eyes. And right now I can't think of anything that really makes sense though. :'(. Cause if we split the group then one of them is going to end up dying, the people in them are going to stop posting. So we might need to find a different way to do it.
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm
Rydia says...

I think splitting the group into two more manageable groups wouldn't be such a bad idea but maybe wait a little while first? Let them get a bit more settled and start thinking long term and realising they can't stay in costco forever.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:13 am
Crysi says...

Well, Charlie already told me his ideas. ;) Sure, TN, it doesn't make sense for them to leave if they don't have a reason to. But think about it -- we're writers! We're creative! We can come up with reasons. Maybe a small group wants to leave for another town, try their luck there. Maybe they want to try a hospital, see what they can find out. I know there's going to be a trip for ammo -- perhaps that group decides things are looking clearer, and they want to check their homes. Who knows? And I'm not sure what you mean about "one will die and the others will stop posting" or whatever. I don't see why people would stop just because we split the group into two. Especially if we have a strong writer in each group, helping to forward that group's plot.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea, but I also agree with kitty: we need to wait first. We haven't all had much downtime together, and I think we need to. There hasn't been much character interaction because everyone was all over the store (and Jo wasn't the only one frustrated with that ;) ), but if we get them all together before they go to sleep... Keri, Angela, and Tazin have all been killed, and it's not like everyone is going to be eager to leave after that. They're gonna need some downtime to take in the fact that this is happening.
Love and Light

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:36 pm
deleted6 says...

I agree with Charlie but i agree with Crysi, Dave will join the group that go out he's going to change alot. He's going to want revenge. That's both his friend and his girlfriend he wants to kill some z's. Anyway yeh downtime but Dave will not interact much. Obviously.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:14 pm
Ego says...

Updated Cast: [character--writer (last post)]

Bernard--DarkLight (5 Jan)
Kevin--Hunter (11 Jan)
Joanna--Crysi (8 Jan)
Elaina--Areida (11 Dec)
Mev--JennaFina (12 Nov)
Adara--RiedaWriter (17 Dec)
Velna--TNCowgirl (4 Jan)
Jaime--Insomnia (3 Jan)
Dave--Vernon (4 Jan)
Kat--Kitty15 (13 Jan)

So. Seven of our ten authors are still pretty active, with Ari, Jenna and Rieda needing to post. I'll see if I can get in contact with each of them, and if they are dropping out, we'll take care of their characters, which would bring us down to seven active characters.

There are two big reasons I don't want to split the group. The first is that the problem is not that we have too many authors, but that we have too many authors not participating. For example, take Jo and Kevin. No one is going to forget them, because 1) me and Crysi post so much, and 2) because they interact with many different characters. By contrast, Dave rarely interacts with anyone but Keri (now dead), and Rieda rarely posts for Adara. Just like in real life, if you don't interact with people, you're going to forget about them unless they've made a very powerful impression on you. My solution to this is, as usual, for us to interact with one another. Collaborate on posts with each other. Trade dialog. Write a scene together, consisting of one post from each of you. Crysi and I do it for every one of our posts that have Kevin and Jo in them, and the posts are better quality because of it.

Second is that if we split the group, it'll severely limit our writing resources. Say we have ten characters. Split it into two groups, that's five each. If even one author per group falters in their writing, it starts to strain the group dynamic. I think a permanent split would be detrimental to the group, personally. However, I'm not going to stop you if a group *does* want to split off at some point. Feel free. Kevin certainly won't stop them.

Let me know what you want to do, guys. I may be a slave driver, but I listen to my authors.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:26 pm
deleted6 says...

Well, I think if Dave can keep his agressive thoughts in check, he could begin to talk to Bernard and Jamie. Though thing about David is with Derrick death he partly died with Keri's he's just so depressed but furious. Anyway I do my best to get him more active though now not best time as Prelims approaching still post and do my best though Dono. :)
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:52 pm
Rydia says...

Did they move Anne with them to meet Velna? Just wondering, only if they didn't, it would be in character for Kat to remain with her...
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:09 pm
Ego says...

That would be fine.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:03 am
Areida says...

Oh, wow, I saw that update and was really confused, because I thought I had posted this year... LOL. Anyway, yeah. I've posted semi-recently, but I'm going to try and get a new one in soon.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

594 Reviews

Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:29 am
Crysi says...

I might try to get a post in sometime in the next week... I'm busy studying for flight school, but I really want to write a post. It's basically socializing right now, right? Jo's gonna be pretty quiet, probably staying in the background. But if you're interested in interacting with anyone, grab them. PM them. Work out a post, like Dono said. It really makes it a lot easier, and it's really fun. You get to know the characters a lot more, too.

And yes, I am aware of the fact that this entire post was pretty much useless babble. ^^
Love and Light

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:42 am
Insomnia says...

Ah, well. It's productive babble too. :P I'll have to work on a post too. it's been too long. xD I'll PM one of you guys soon. :)

EDIT: Would we be able to wake Anne up sometime soon? I don't know anything about injuries, or things like that, but she's the person who Jamie's talked to the most.

594 Reviews

Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:07 am
Crysi says...

Well then, he'll just have to interact with the rest of us, won't he? ;)

Nah, actually, I think that'd be okay... She won't be very lucid, but it might be fine. Just make sure to have Jamie talk to others, lol. I'd be willing to work on a post with you, if he wants to talk to Jo. Hasn't really talked with her much, right?
Love and Light

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:30 am
Insomnia says...

I don't think he's talked with her at all... Him and Dave carried Anne in just as you and Kev went into the offices. xD She probably has no idea who I am. >.<

The blood jet is poetry and there is no stopping it.
— Sylvia Plath