Those Times

- - - - - - -

A Songfic

Song: ‘Crazier’ by Taylor Swift

- - - - - - -

Do you remember, my love?

‘Cause I do.

[Intro plays]

We first met at the meadow, and we were so young back then. We still are though. We looked at each other so intimately. You were lively like always.

I could still remember how we laughed after we tried to speak in Archaic English when we just met. “I’m Haniel,” I said as I reached out my hand. And so you shook it and said, “I’m Elina.”
For me, that was the official beginning of our friendship.

[First Verse]

“I’ve never gone with the wind
Just let it flow”

We walked away from meadow as we chatted, feeling the wind as it glided so freely right past us, watching the sunlight glimmer through the leaves of the tall trees.

“Let it take me where it wants to go
Till you opened the door
There’s so much more
I’ve never seen it before”

Finally, you said ‘Adieu’, and I shyly waved back. Back then, I was so eager to meet you again, to talk with you again, but we both know that that farewell was just the beginning of our story.

“I was trying to fly
But I couldn’t find wings
But you came along
And you changed everything”

I could never forget how sweet your voice rang in my ear, and how soft your hand felt when we shook hands. It seemed like there was no way I would get tired of them in the years that followed.

Hey, remember our first birthday celebration together?

A year had passed and we had already become best friends.

You played Canon in D on the piano for me – in my house connected to my father’s stables which wood was dark brown like my hair. Then I gave you a ride on my white horse, Shard, to your mansion, where I played the same piece on the violin for you – a place filled with red carpets and chandeliers as bright as your blonde hair. I remember how my nerves had frozen up to my spine when I was there. Everyone was looking at me. And I wasn’t even well-dressed!

But the people, those rich and fancy crowds, seemed to be content with what I did. For a moment there, I thought your father was mad at me, but he and your mother welcomed me as your friend in the end.

[Chorus]

“You lift my feet off the ground
You spin me around
You make me crazier
Crazier”

It was like there was nothing to worry at all, the way you acted when your father came up to the stage and asked you about me. You were still smiling and giggly. There was nothing but the sound of your voice that broke that cold feeling of tension inside me.

“Feels like I’m fallin’ and I
am lost in your eyes
You make me crazier, crazier
Crazier”

Remember when you ‘dragged’ me to your mansion to play the violin again?

I was playing a happy melody for the horses in the grassy field and you suddenly came. The day was fine like the cheerful mood that you always brought along with you, and I simply couldn’t refuse. It had been a year since my ‘fortunate’ performance in that mansion last year. Couldn’t you tell how nervous I got all those times I performed, Elina?

[Second Verse]

“I watched from a distance as you
made life your own
Every sky was your own kind of blue
And I wanted to know
how that would feel
And you made it so real”

I remember watching you as you played Clair de Lune so beautifully onstage, how gracefully you lifted me and your audience into the sweet breeze of musical notes you were producing. You were so mesmerizing to watch and to listen to, almost made me forget that I was going to perform next.

“You showed me something
that I couldn’t see
You opened my eyes and you
made me believe”

It was, in a way, frustrating that I did everything you asked of me. I just felt impelled every time. You…You were, and still are, special to me.

The moment I got onstage, I felt so tensed, like the last time I was there performing. It made me a little relieved that I was able to dress properly that time, wearing coat and tie. All of a sudden, almost all of the people started to move, making circular formations in pairs. I wasn’t expecting that they would dance while I played. Then, amidst the massive number of circular formations, I noticed you, dancing with a guy who looked better and was more poised than I was. I felt bad. It felt like I shrank into a tiny little elf, and everyone else, especially you and your dancing partner had grown into giants who ignored someone as small as I was.

I thought that I didn’t deserve to be with you.

[Chorus]

You spin me around
You make me crazier
Crazier”

After the performance, everybody had gone back to chatting, in their own elegant ways, and my mind was lost into my self-belittling thoughts. I couldn’t have thought that I would get affected that much. But I had got to admit to myself, I was jealous and insecure and, did you know what actually broke my heart, what made it shatter into pieces? It was the news that I heard through the other side of that door – You were going to get married to that guy you danced with when you turn sixteen.

am lost in your eyes
You make me crazier, crazier
Crazier, oh”

But I had to move on…and remain your friend for you did not even know how I felt for you.

So I’m going to ask you this – Remember when I finally confessed that I loved you?

I was already sixteen and you were fifteen. A year seemed to have ticked like a second. And I feared that these ticks would be the sound of your footsteps fading away. I can still remember the way you said ‘No’ when I suggested that we should escape, how worried you were at the possibility that your father will have me—no—us killed…and how astonished I was when you said that. I simply could not believe it. What was so important about that betrothal? But I’m afraid the answer remained hidden.

I will never forget our tears…and how they flowed down from our eyes.

[Bridge]

“Baby, you showed me what living is for
I don’t wanna hide anymore”

Remember…when you finally left?

I was watching your mansion from the roof that morning, and you were stuck in my mind, thinking what I could do when time ran faster, when my heart beat louder. To see you go was like holding something so tightly until it would break. Letting you go would hardly be an option I would ever consider. I just couldn’t let you go.

Finally, you and your family went outside the house and took a carriage towards nowhere. Seeing this, I quickly slid down the roof and rushed after you on my white horse. Remember, Elina, when you saw me from behind and ordered the carriage to stop. Your father pulled you back and held you so firmly. But I wanted to touch you one last one time before you go. One of the two armed men who went down the carriage with your father shot me on his command. Then, I fell on the ground, dying…losing every hope that we would be together again. Things happened so fast.

You then came to me and asked for you to be shot too. I was devastated. I was already dying, and you would die too!? No! It couldn’t be happening. There was another gunshot and, the next thing I knew was you had already fallen on the ground in front of me. “Why!?” I asked you, and you said to me, “It will not be worth living without you.”

[Chorus]

You spin me around
You make me crazier
Crazier”

You said “I love you” and so did I. Then…we tried to kiss, our first and last, but it was already too late. All that was left was an inch between our lips. Darkness had already arrived.

Let me ask one more thing from you.

am lost in your eyes
You make me crazier, crazier, crazier
Crazier
Crazier”

Please, don’t forget…those times when we were together.
Last edited by Caerulean on Thu May 05, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.
“(...) and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” - Gandalf, The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sun May 01, 2011 12:28 am
Audrey says...

Hey!

You have something interesting here! I assume it's set in some other time period? What with the carriages, horses, mansions, and teenage marriages and all. Intriguing indeed.

First, as you mentioned, you do have a couple typos and small errors in this piece, once you have more time to do a through read through I'm sure you can catch them.

I have a couple suggestions. The first has to do with your MC's relationship with the girl. We don't really get to see it. I do get the sense that your MC is infatuated with this girl, but I do not get the reverse. The problem is we do not get to see the two interact with each other. Right now, it's kind of one-sided you know, a story of a guy falling for a seemingly unreachable girl.

The girl wants to kill herself when she realizes he's dying, as if she can't live without him. Woah. That is some special relationship. A kind of deep mutual, head-over-heals, passionate, irrational love. For your character's actions to make sense, I think you need to show us more of that. Show us how your character's relationship developed and grew into that type of deep love. I would use dialouge and some more descriptions. The big thing is include scenes of these two interacting, to show us the nature of their relationship.

The following suggestion is really more of personal preference than anything else, feel free to ignore if you think I am way off base. I didn't really like the inclusion of the song. For me, it kind of broke up the flow of piece. I skipped over it when I read this, and I had trouble finding when the song stopped and where your story started. If you decide to keep the song, I might try and make that distinction more clear. However, personally, I do not think it adds much to your piece.

Well, those are the big things I noticed! Best of luck with this, I think it has potential, your prose flows nicely. =) If you have any comments or questions, feel free to PM me.
Last edited by Audrey on Sun May 01, 2011 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I've never told a lie, and that makes me a liar
I've never made a bet, but we gamble in desire
I've never lit a match with intent to start a fire,
But recently the flames are getting out of control"

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun May 01, 2011 12:37 am
Glauke says...

Hey Whisperer:
Looks good; it is apparent of the time and setting, although it is not said point-blank. Watch your commas, there are some places where commas should go, but are not. Personally, I love the song "Crazier" and I can relate to this poem. Keep writing, and happy Review Day!
❁❁❁

be still, sad heart, and cease repining
behind the clouds is the sun still shining

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sun May 01, 2011 3:21 am
fireheartedkaratepup says...

Yeah, you do have typos.

One thing about songfics: I'm not sure how they do them on YWS, but I'm used to seeing the lyrics in italics, single-spaced. It doesn't clutter up the story as much--many people like to just skip them and read the story, and to be honest, this way looks clunky.

Also, you don't have to put "interlude" and things like that. It might work if the song were actually playing, but it doesn't really work for a work that's only meant to be read.

Overall, I liked this--right about till the end of the dance scene. Then it became pretty cliche and boring.

Good job.
"Ok, Lolpup. You can be a girl worth fighting for."
--Pengu

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Tue May 03, 2011 3:40 pm
Caerulean says...

Uh...Where are the typos, guys? o.o
“(...) and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” - Gandalf, The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring

Reviews: 0
Tue May 03, 2011 3:59 pm
OrigamiMoon says...

Hey there, Whisperer! This looks really great, and I honestly can't find anything wrong with it! Keep up the great work.
Yours, O.M.
O
R
I
G
A
M
I

M
O
O
N

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Tue May 03, 2011 4:36 pm
Nike says...

Hey, I loved this songfic (it's the first one I've ever read). i felt like the MC was actually telling me a story. This was emotional and beatifully written.

Keep Writing!

Nike :)
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed May 04, 2011 5:04 pm
Shearwater says...

Hey! You never told me about this one!
If you did, then for some unexplainable reason, I never actually saw it. :/
Anyway, I'm glad you PM'd me about it. I'll be happy to review this for you.

Now I'm pretty sure you did something like this before, right?
Oh yes, you had the link on top. xD Okay, well let's get started with this. I have just a few nitpicks that I want to point out with your first though...
We walked away from meadow as we chatted, feeling the wind is glided so freely right past us, watching the sunlight glimmer through the leaves of the tall trees.

You have a bit of tense error in this sentence.
I'm sure it's supposed to be "feeling the wind gliding so freely right past us"
Sound better?
A year has passed and we had already become best friends.

This is another tense error.
You're writing in past tense but you for some reason, have some present tense peek up in here.
Anyway, this should be 'A year had passed and we had already become best friends.'
I find it hard to reword your sentences for some reason. lol
I remember how my nervousness had frozen up to my spine when I was there. Everyone was looking at me.

I think you could reword this to: "I remember how my nerves had frozen up to my spine..."
I felt nervousness was a bit weird in that sentences so changing it to just nerves felt a little better for me.
Just an opinion, it's your call in the end, lol.
You and your family took a carriage towards nowhere and I rushed after you on my white horse. You saw me from behind and ordered the carriage to stop. But your father pulled you back. And one of the two armed men shot me. Then, I fell on the ground, dying.

This right here is the major climax to your story, it's one of the most important parts and for me, the most emotional part of everything so I felt a bit upset when you didn't give this as much spotlight as I might've liked.
I think you should expand on this a little more and give it some more emotion like it did in the novel.
Then…we tried to kiss, our first and last, but we hardly did make it.

I think you should have added something about 'the inch' here because I felt like those words just blew the story and my heart away. Reading that part in your novel was possibility my favorite line and part. It was innocent and sweet.

Overall, I like this songfic, Whisper. You did a great job with it but during the middle I felt like it got a bit draggy and I almost lost interest and I tried to skip forward. However, I'm sure that was because I already knew what happened in the story. Then again, you should be able to grasp the reader's hold whether they read the story or not so I'd like to see you tighten that up a bit. Perhaps cut it short and make the climax part a bit longer.

Now, I did notice that you had Henial come out and say some words like 'remember that and I felt this', I think you should try to loosen those up and maybe get rid of them. They make the story feel like it's being told -which it is- but if show those things in his memories a bit more subtly, I think it might be a little cleaner and better.

I did like reading this and I think this is one of my favorite stories from you. The fact that you're going back to rewrite this makes me quite happy too and I'm excited to read "The Inch" rewritten. xD
Let me know when you have it up and I'll skip right there!

Hopefully this review helped a little!
Keep writing,
-Pink
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Thu May 05, 2011 12:18 pm
Caerulean says...

Thanks for all the reviews, guys, :D ^_^ especially for catching those things that I overlooked >_<.

Despite everything, it's still you.
— TobyFox