z

Young Writers Society

Frozen Rose - Part 1 (Rated for swearing.)

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Mon May 10, 2010 4:38 pm
Lava says...

A/N.Well, this is going to be my submission for a contest (not on YWS.) Basically, the story develops around a title, to be chosen from a set, and a few other guidelines. This is the first chapter, I’d like it critiqued as I don’t feel satisfied as yet of the next chapter.
Oh and it is a short story. Not a novella.

EDIT: 'da' is generally used as a ref to a male friend/sibling/cousin.

*paan - It is a betel leaf filled with stuff, that people chew.

The room was crammed with people, yet it was cold; the ancient room heater was wheezing and trying to spew out a thin film of heat.

I glanced around at the other people waiting. There were some old people sleeping on the chairs, a baby girl dressed in a pink fluffy frock drooling on her mother’s lap, another baby who was wailing loudly for his mother’s attention. Then there were the executives, waving their Blackberrys and talking loudly. There was one poor old man, dressed in a flimsy white shirt and a shawl, lighting up a cigarette. His eyes were red and swollen. His wife was sitting next time, a red liquid dribbled down the corner of her mouth. With a loud noise, she spat the paan* out. There was now a bright red spot on the dirty yellow pillar.
I enjoyed observing people; trying to figure out their story. It gave me something to think about and not worry about the flight.

My watched said Roshini should have landed here three hours ago. The airport authorities haven’t given us any information on the flight’s status except that it had been delayed. I prayed that nothing bad has befallen them. I didn’t want to lose another person in my life.

The speaker crackled to life. A lady’s voice in heavily accented English blared out, “Flight A450 Singapore Airlines from Singapore has been delayed due to fog. Landing time and terminal will be announced shortly. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.”
I felt relief coursing through my veins. So maybe nothing bad happened afterall. Thank you, Lord. I looked at Vivek, sitting next to me. Annoyance was written in bold across his face as he rubbed that dark brown stubble of his.

“Fuck da,” cursed Vivek, who was sitting next to me. A few of the older people looked at us as if we justified their idea of ‘the younger generation is spoilt.’
“Oldies. Fuck them too,” muttered Vivek so that only I could hear.

The minutes of mindless activity droned on. Varsha- who had been asleep all this long, woke up, rubbing the sand out of her eyes. Just a year younger than Vivek, she looked like an exact replica of him, as though someone created a clone and mistaken the sex genes.

“How long until Rosh’s plane arrives?” she asked, stifling a yawn.
“According to that,” I said, pointing to the speaker, “the arrival time will be announced shortly.”
“Let’s hope this ‘shortly’ is short,” said Vivek, not looking up from his handheld video game.

I was extremely happy that the four of us had decided to go on a holiday. It would be welcome break from my job as a teacher.

Roshini’s face formed in my head, her eyes outlined by kohl, the same colour as her irises. When she cried, her eyes would tell me everything. When she wasn’t sad, she was the happiest person to hang around with. I could picture her laughing, as her hair danced in front of her face.
It has been over a year since I saw Roshini. The last time she came to India, about a year, back, I was stuck in Bangalore. I had been busy with my thesis and finals. It would be wonderful to have Roshini back among our weekend escapades to beaches and restaurants.
I couldn’t deny the fact that I still was in love with Roshini. As much as I wanted to ask her out, I was afraid. I don’t think I can get lucky a second time.

The Sun was shining bright in all His glory, sending off rays that were burning our bodies. Children in ragged shirts ran around yelling at the dry wind which was tinged with moisture. A fierce battle of colors ensued in the sky; the light glinting off the sequins pasted on the kites. For these kids, it was a ruthless, bloody war.

Roshini and I were sitting, overlooking the waves, marveling at these kids’ ingenuity. This was how they studied physics, unlike me who had to experiment with everything in a controlled atmosphere.

I stroked her hand. Our sweat-trickled limbs were flecked with sand grains.

“Rosh? “She turned her head toward me. The wind blew her silky black hair toward my face. The scent of it wafted across, forming knots in my groin.

“I uh.. wanted to ask if.. you know, you’d like to go out with me?”

The sun was retreating behind the clouds as if ashamed of my proposal. I could hear the wind picking up as my slow, heavy breaths mingled with it. My fingers had busied themselves into forming a tiny sand-hill. I was scared of what I would hear as her reply.

“And so finally you asked that question. I’d been waiting for it, you know,” she replied, an amused smile danced across her tanned face.

Of all the scenarios that played about in my head, I didn’t expect this. I didn’t know what to say. I just stared at her, looking a bit confused.

She laughed. “You were being very obvious. I was just waiting for you to ask me out.”
As my expression wavered, she continued, “So, yes.”

The ‘yes’ ringed in my ears. A bubble of happiness was growing inside me. I was insanely delighted. I felt a tingle run down my spine, as my fingers interlaced themselves with hers.
“Rosh.. uhh.. Thanks,” I spluttered.
She laughed again. “Thanks? That’s all you’re going to say?”
Once again, I was at a loss for words.

Succumbing to the hormones that were circling about in a whirlpool, I hugged her.
“I really like you,” I whispered in her ears. I felt her tremble as she hugged me back. I’m positive I heard a muffled ‘me too.’

The sun peeked out; its merest glance scorched our fierce embrace.

- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon May 10, 2010 6:00 pm
PhoenixBishop says...

Phoenix lands to review.

The room was crammed full and cold;

crammed full of what? People I assume but I shouldn't have to assume.

quote] I got up to get myself a cup of local chai, the seat creaking as I lifted my heavy bottom off it.
“Hey, I’m off to get some chai. Want a cup?”[/quote]

Repetitive just describer her getting up if you're going to have her say she's going to get chai.

We belong to the tropics. We weren’t designed to wear jerkins and gloves.

Who's we, as it is I'm seeing faceless puppets.

“Flight A450 Singapore Airlines from Singapore has been delayed due to fog. Landing time and terminal will be announced shortly. Sorry for the inconvenience caused,” the speakers blared out a lady’s voice in heavily accented English.

The last sentence should probably go before the actual speaking.

“Fuck da,” cursed Vivek, who was sitting next to me. A few of the older people looked at us as if we justified their idea of ‘the younger generation is spoilt.’

I don't see how the two relate.

The minutes of mindless activity droned on. Varsha who had been asleep [b]all this long woke up, rubbing the sand out of her eyes. Just a year younger than Vivek, she looked like an exact replica of him, as though someone created a clone and mistaken the sex genes. [/b]

Odd phrasing.

Let’s hope this ‘shortly’ is short,” said Vivek, not looking up from his handheld.

handheld what?

I couldn’t deny the fact that I still was in love with Roshini. As much as I wanted to ask her, I was afraid. I don’t think I can get lucky a second time.

Wait your narrator is a guy. I didn't pick that up before. *Goes back to see if he missed something*

The sun was shining bright in all His glory, sending off rays that were burning our bodies.

I'm not sure about the personifying the sun bit.

[i]The sun was retreating behind the clouds as if ashamed of my proposal. I could hear the wind picking up as my slow, heavy breaths mingled with it. My fingers had busied themselves into forming a tiny sand-hill. I was scared of what I would hear as her reply.

Brilliant.

I think you can maybe up the description in a few places, such as the people and places that surround him. Call me daft but it wasn't immediately clear that the narrator was male. This could be my own lack of reading skills but at any rate you should probably work on making that more clear. It should be abundantly clear by the end of the first paragraph.

Overall I liked this. The narrator's thoughts were interesting and in several spots you brilliantly worded things. The cloud and the sun paragraph being only one of these examples.

Hope I helped.

Phoenix flies away.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue May 11, 2010 1:59 pm
NumberSeven says...

:D HIIII.

Uh, personally, I disagree with Pheonix on a few things (will explain below).

Cons first! :(
You mentioned the chai tea four times. The first two are okay, the third one barely passes, but the fourth one is terribly redundant. We know it's chai. Just say 'tea' or 'cup'. Repetition is boring.
I got up to get myself a cup of local chai, the seat creaking as I lifted my heavy bottom off it.

Sentence structure logic error. He got up, but then the chair was creaking? The chair creakED. He can't have already gotten up, then as he got up, the chair creaked. It makes the reader rewind.
Some grammar and sentence structure errors. Try reading it out loud. If it sounds awkward, it's probably written wrong.
The sun was shining bright in all His glory, sending off rays that were burning our bodies. Children in ragged shirts ran around yelling at the dry wind which was tinged with moisture. A fierce battle of colors ensued in the sky; the light glinting off the sequins pasted on the kites. For these kids, it was a ruthless, bloody war.

This description is good (as well as your other descriptions), but it's a bit too... sophisticated. As compared to your writing style, it's a little off. Using different words might help. Plus, some of the things you describe are a little irrelevant to what is actually happening.
When you "succumb to hormones", you usually don't just hug people. It's usually an impulsive kiss or something. I don't think "succumbing to hormones" are the words you need there.

Pros! :)
Personifying the sun is fine.
The gender does not need to be absolutely clear in the beginning. If you're mistaken, or assume otherwise BEFORE the gender has been stated, that's okay. I mean, it didn't bug me much when I found out cause the gender wasn't relevant until the Roshini bit.
You established the characters well.
Your grammar is pretty good (aside from some awkward sentences).
Your description is wonderful :)

Keep it up!
~ Come to the dark side. We have cookies! ~
~ Ha, we're the dark side. Why are you surprised we lied about the cookies? ~

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue May 18, 2010 6:41 pm
Emerson says...

Heyo. :) My review as requested!

There were just some small things in the story that had me a bit lost:
This was the first time for all of us in Delhi. We belong to the tropics. We weren’t designed to wear jerkins and gloves.

Maybe because I don't know the culture/context of this kind of line, but it confused me. It also left me confused as to the characters ethnicity, but I'm not entirely sure that matters.

This muscular guy, sporting a small beard has a habit of swearing at almost anything if it upsets him. Waiting in the Lounge at the Delhi Airport for hours is a good enough reason.
I'm assuming you're talking about Vivek here so it was off putting that you described him rather than using his name, since we've more or less already been introduced to the character. Also, you use the present tense.

an amused smile danced across her brown face.
I don't really like "brown face" because "brown" refers to skin color, refers to ethnicity, and it just doesn't seem necessary. If you're trying to convey that they're not Caucasian (white) I feel as though it should be done earlier in the story than here, and for that matter, you did well at it just by name and location alone (this is assumption based though). The line just bugs me because it's odd to me. *shrugs*

Anyway! You asked about character and flow. Well, there isn't so much for me to say on character because there isn't so much here. I don't really have any feel for your characters, other than they're mildly excited to be on a vacation and a little irritated at the flight delay. There's not a whole lot of development, and I don't feel a lot of emotion from the flashback. I just can't see the characters as real and alive people. I'm not entirely sure how you could clean that up, but it may help just in small things: like Phoenix said: details would be nice. More details is a completely needed thing.I also think you should focus on what is needed and what isn't The character going to get chai at the beginning wasn't significant at all, so why write about it? I think if you built more tension into meeting Rash, more tension with her arrival being late, then the romance between the two characters would mean a whole ton more.

As for flow, it wasn't bad, but the personal narrative jumped around a lot. When you go form the dialogue between the characters about the plane being late, then to the inner explanation of what is going on here, it's the most awkward because the transition from "stuff is happening" to "the speaker is talking to us about stuff" is incredibly apparent, and it doesn't seem natural within the story. The transition into the flash back isn't bad, but I think you could do more on having him reminisce before jumping straight into it. Also, the first paragraph of the flashback is a little weird because of the whole physics thing... I think I get the line, but it can easily be lost. You have good details - they just seem oddly out of context sometimes.

Hope this helps ^^ And good luck with the contest!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Mon May 24, 2010 5:02 pm
Sins says...

Heya Lava!
Here to review, 'cause I is cool. 8)

The room was crammed with people, yet it was cold; the ancient room heater was wheezing and trying to spew out a thin film of heat.

This opening sentence was good... not great though. I would have liked to have seen something maybe a bit more interesting? Sorry for being a bit picky... :lol:

I glanced around at the other people waiting. There were some old people sleeping on the chairs, a baby girl dressed in a pink fluffy frock drooling on her mother’s lap, another baby who was wailing loudly for his mother’s attention. Then there were the executives, waving their Blackberrys and talking loudly. There was one poor old man, dressed in a flimsy white shirt and a shawl, lighting up a cigarette. His eyes were red and swollen. His wife was sitting next time, a red liquid dribbled down the corner of her mouth. With a loud noise, she spat the paan* out. There was now a bright red spot on the dirty yellow pillar.

I liked your descriptions here! It gives us a reader an idea on what the scene is like. My only critique is where you said 'next time'. Did you mean next to him...? Or am I being painfully dull...?

I enjoyed observing people; trying to figure out their story. It gave me something to think about and not worry about the flight.

Reminds me of myself! Except, to me, it feels like I'm perving on them...

My watched said Roshini should have landed here three hours ago. The airport authorities hadn’t given us any information on the flight’s status except that it had been delayed. I prayed that nothing bad had befallen them.

You changed tenses a bit in this paragraph. :wink:

The speaker crackled to life. A lady’s voice with a heavy English accent blared out, “Flight A450 Singapore Airlines from Singapore has been delayed due to fog.

I felt relief coursing through my veins. So maybe nothing bad happened after-Space here-all? Thank you, Lord.

I looked at Vivek, sitting next to me.

You don't need this comma here!

Woop! Rebel! 8)

It would be a welcomed break from my job as a teacher.

I could picture her laughing, as her hair danced in front of her face.

You don't really need this comma here.

It had been over a year since I saw Roshini.

Changed tenses again. :wink:

I couldn’t deny the fact that I still was still in love with Roshini. As much as I wanted to ask her out, I was afraid. I didn't think I can get lucky a second time.

Another tense change at the end of this.

The Sun was shining bright in all its glory, sending off rays that were burning our bodies. Children in ragged shirts ran around yelling at the dry wind which was tinged with moisture. A fierce battle of colors ensued in the sky; the light glinting off the sequins pasted on the kites. For these kids, it was a ruthless, bloody war.

Wow! I really liked this!

“Rosh?-No need for a space here-[color=#FF0000]-Space here-[/color]

“I, uh.. wanted to ask if.. you know, you’d like to go out with me?”

Aww... :lol:

“And so finally, you asked that question. I’d been waiting for it, you know,” she replied, an amused smile danced across her tanned face.

I really liked this ending line!

Overall

I thought that this was a really nice piece of writing. The idea itself was simple, which I very much enjoyed. You don't always need a complicated plot to write a good story! Your grammar was also very good and so was your spelling. I quite liked your MC as well, he seemed rather sweet. I also enjoyed a lot of your descriptions. I noted the ones that I especially liked, Lava. You can sometimes phrase things a bit awkwardly, but I understand. English isn't your first language, I don't think?

My only real critique for this is the awkward phrasing. Like with the descriptions, I noted the areas where things were phrased a bit awkwardly. I also corrected some things for you. You just need to read over your writing and edit the places where I've suggested you change. As for phrasing in general, you're actually very good at it. Considering English isn't your first language, anyway. There is just the odd hitch here and there where your phrasing can be a bit awkward. Also, you use the wrong words sometimes. That's fine though, I've pointed out the areas where you do this. The best way of overcoming this small problem is to simply write as much as you can!

I haven't really got much else to say... I feel pretty useless. Your descriptions were very nice and the story in general seems very, very sweet. All that you need to do is fix those awkward phrases and you will definitely have a really nice piece of writing here! Sorry I haven't been that much help... I can't really think of much else to say!

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Mon May 24, 2010 5:09 pm
Lava says...

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Skins, some of those nitpicks, I realized was because of Word's stupid auto correct. And yeah, English isn't first language. I shall change those awkwrad things soon.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Wed May 26, 2010 7:55 am
View Likes
Galerius says...

Hi Lava,

I expect you to lose that contest, because this isn't good writing.

This story seemed like it was so hastily formed that not only did you forgo any kind of actual visceral imagery (no, saying that something is "red" and "yellow" does not count) but you also decided to use a typical 13-year-old's fantasy storyline. It's laughable at best, and mind-numbingly boring at worst. There really is no reason for the reader to actually finish this unfortunate thing to the end, as it just progressively declines in quality until the last sentence. That's not saying much, considering the whole story has severe content and description flaws throughout.

Lava wrote:The room was crammed with people, yet it was cold; the ancient room heater was wheezing and trying to spew out a thin film of heat.

Yeah, heaters dispense heat. Find another word to describe it. Furthermore, "thin film" of heat? You're trying to relate... a feeling sensation with a visual image. Doesn't work if you can't build some kind of bridge across the two, which you most certainly don't.

This entire chunky block of description failed to actually achieve any purpose. If you were attempting to create the scenario of a mood in the terminal room, be it one of tiredness or melancholy or whatever, that doesn't show through. You just shotgun off a list of people. Old people, two babies, some businessmen, and a man who apparently is "poor" in some sense of the word and yet you don't show us how that is. Is it because he's wearing a white shirt? That's not reason enough for the reader to trust you on this. By no means do you have to spend too much time talking about this guy, but at least enforce the terms you place on him, like "poor".

Also, saying that something is red and yellow is basically avoiding having to actually describe the object, avoiding comparing it to something else and actually making it stand out in the reader's mind. Avoid falling into that endless trap.

What...? What does this even have to do with anything? I don't care about your quirks and motives unless they actually relate to something, which this doesn't seem to.

My watched said Roshini should have landed here three hours ago. The airport authorities haven’t given us any information on the flight’s status except that it had been delayed. I prayed that nothing bad has befallen them. I didn’t want to lose another person in my life.

The speaker crackled to life. A lady’s voice in heavily accented English blared out, “Flight A450 Singapore Airlines from Singapore has been delayed due to fog. Landing time and terminal will be announced shortly. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.”
I felt relief coursing through my veins. So maybe nothing bad happened afterall. Thank you, Lord. I looked at Vivek, sitting next to me. Annoyance was written in bold across his face as he rubbed that dark brown stubble of his.

This is just plain bad writing. You're regurgitating out information without any substantial imagery to back it up.

Example: "Annoyance was written in bold across his face." That particular piece of atrocious writing almost made me stop reading right there. And the story isn't even half over.

Prune your piece of such cliches before you do anything else to it.

Again, why should we care about the old people's perception? Was this an attempt at humor? If so, at least in my opinion, it was executed quite poorly and almost pretentiously. Get rid of it.

The minutes of mindless activity droned on. Varsha- who had been asleep all this long, woke up, rubbing the sand out of her eyes. Just a year younger than Vivek, she looked like an exact replica of him, as though someone created a clone and mistaken the sex genes.

“How long until Rosh’s plane arrives?” she asked, stifling a yawn.
“According to that,” I said, pointing to the speaker, “the arrival time will be announced shortly.”
“Let’s hope this ‘shortly’ is short,” said Vivek, not looking up from his handheld video game.

I was extremely happy that the four of us had decided to go on a holiday. It would be welcome break from my job as a teacher.

It seems as though you're trying to stuff information in wherever you can, just for the sake of it. A welcome break from your job as a teacher? Where did that even come in from? The reader can see immediately when you're launching an info-dump, so don't.

Roshini’s face formed in my head, her eyes outlined by kohl, the same colour as her irises. When she cried, her eyes would tell me everything. When she wasn’t sad, she was the happiest person to hang around with.

This sounds like it was written by a five-year-old. So she's happy when she isn't sad? Please, delete this entire paragraph and come up with some better way of communicating her unique personality.

I could picture her laughing, as her hair danced in front of her face.
It has been over a year since I saw Roshini. The last time she came to India, about a year, back, I was stuck in Bangalore. I had been busy with my thesis and finals. It would be wonderful to have Roshini back among our weekend escapades to beaches and restaurants.
I couldn’t deny the fact that I still was in love with Roshini. As much as I wanted to ask her out, I was afraid. I don’t think I can get lucky a second time.

Again, this information comes out of nowhere and blindsides the reader, crashing into him like an eighteen-wheeler truck. Show a little tact when introducing raw information; for instance, don't delve into a paragraph-long spiel about your personal history with Roshini when it isn't sparked by anything at all. You're basically saying to the reader "Oh, by the way, here's some extra info about my life. Enjoy!" and then serving up this paragraph. It's nauseating. Integrate it into the story, don't throw it out on its own.

The Sun was shining bright in all His glory, sending off rays that were burning our bodies. Children in ragged shirts ran around yelling at the dry wind which was tinged with moisture. A fierce battle of colors ensued in the sky; the light glinting off the sequins pasted on the kites. For these kids, it was a ruthless, bloody war.

Good, you start personifying the Sun, which has potential. Unfortunately, you leave it at that. Why not further develop the metaphor of the Sun as an actual being, watching in a gaze of pure energy at the smallest of occurences happening under his glance?

Roshini and I were sitting, overlooking the waves, marveling at these kids’ ingenuity. This was how they studied physics, unlike me who had to experiment with everything in a controlled atmosphere.

What? Physics? There's been some kind of jump from the last paragraph to this one... I don't even know what just happened, but the above quoted statement absolutely makes no sense. Revise what you're trying to say. Physics?

I stroked her hand. Our sweat-trickled limbs were flecked with sand grains.

“Rosh? “She turned her head toward me. The wind blew her silky black hair toward my face. The scent of it wafted across, forming knots in my groin.

“I uh.. wanted to ask if.. you know, you’d like to go out with me?”

This here was the part that almost made me laugh. So the guy is with this girl overlooking the sea, described in a romantic and otherwordly way - and then you talk about a stirring in his groin area as soon as he says "Hey, wanna go out?". It's so abrupt and devoid of any kind of genuine emotion that I'm still trying to figure out whether you were purposely making this part a pure comedy. If you were, then congratulations, it works very well.

If you weren't, then this is apparently supposed to be the climax of the story and so has failed on almost every level, for above-mentioned reasons. Work on it. Keep the emotion flowing.

The sun was retreating behind the clouds as if ashamed of my proposal. I could hear the wind picking up as my slow, heavy breaths mingled with it. My fingers had busied themselves into forming a tiny sand-hill. I was scared of what I would hear as her reply.

“And so finally you asked that question. I’d been waiting for it, you know,” she replied, an amused smile danced across her tanned face.

If somebody in your life has actually talked about such a touchy and serious subject as love like the way you made your character talk, then more power to you. But this screams fabrication into the reader's ears. "And so finally you asked that question". This is arrogance and pretentiousness, not coyness. This character just lost any possible sympathy for the reader, which I'm sure you didn't intend.

Of all the scenarios that played about in my head, I didn’t expect this. I didn’t know what to say. I just stared at her, looking a bit confused.

She laughed. “You were being very obvious. I was just waiting for you to ask me out.”
As my expression wavered, she continued, “So, yes.”

The ‘yes’ ringed in my ears. A bubble of happiness was growing inside me. I was insanely delighted. I felt a tingle run down my spine, as my fingers interlaced themselves with hers.
She laughed again. “Thanks? That’s all you’re going to say?”
Once again, I was at a loss for words.

Succumbing to the hormones that were circling about in a whirlpool, I hugged her.
“I really like you,” I whispered in her ears. I felt her tremble as she hugged me back. I’m positive I heard a muffled ‘me too.’

I'm not going to do a line-by-line on this last part, but it was stocked full with cliches. Here are some:

- tingle run down my spine
- bubble of happiness
- insanely delighted
- "I really like you"
- whispered in her ears

Take those out and then start working on imagery and content.

In general, this was more or less a trainwreck that sounded like bad fanfiction. Near the end, I had to force myself to read every jarring sentence and cliche that emanated from this story's pores. I don't know how long it took for you to write this, but I hope it wasn't too long; this entire thing needs to be scrapped and rebuilt. First of all, come up with a convincing storyline. "I liked a girl, I asked her out, she said yes" isn't going to cut it.

Secondly, comb through the story and pull out all of the cliches. They're unwanted and clutter your prose.

Thirdly, imagery. Please. Include some imagery. At this point, I don't even care how good or bad it is; all I care about is the simple wish that you have some description laced throughout. Paragraphs like this:

"Of all the scenarios that played about in my head, I didn’t expect this. I didn’t know what to say. I just stared at her, looking a bit confused."

are toxic. Compare and contrast your emotions. I notice that you do try to do this in some parts, but others are completely dry and void of any imagery. So include some.

Anyway, my overall recommendation would be to shelve this as soon as physically possible and start over.

Hope that helped,
Galerius

Reviews: 1
Sun May 29, 2011 5:17 pm
Lilprincess says...

hmm ..... uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Well formated... hmm... what else... It was AWESOME good story worth reading...

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:34 am
DarkShadow says...

hi i'm completely new at this so bare with me here, overall it was a good story yes you do have some problems but they're easy fixes. repitution wasn't too bad but you did do it. i do like this story because of the way it sounded so like a regular person, instead of asking her out he's shy about it like most of the times no one really is ever going to be all macho and say hey go out with me, no it isn't how it works. (i ramble alot) i love that you brought that to your story adding a bit of realiziom (Yeah my spelling isn't so great either) i really liked this story just some fixes and you'll just do fine.
"A book comes and says, 'Write me.' My job is to try to serve it to the best of my ability, which is never good enough, but all i can do is listen to it, do what it tells me and collaborate." -Madeleine L'engle

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:41 am
Micheley says...

Micheley here!

This was super cute! I kinda want a second part lol :P Here we go :D
Varsha- who had been asleep all this long, woke up, rubbing the sand out of her eyes. Just a year younger than Vivek, she looked like an exact replica of him, as though someone created a clone and mistaken the sex genes.

I might be the only one that thinks this, but 'all this long' doesn't sound right.

It would be a welcome break from my job as a teacher.

You need an 'a' there.

last time she came to India, about a year, back, I was stuck in Bangalore. I had been busy with my thesis and finals. It would be wonderful to have Roshini back among our weekend escapades to beaches and restaurants.

You don't the comma there.

“I uh.. wanted to ask if.. you know, you’d like to go out with me?” The sun was retreating behind the clouds as if ashamed of my proposal. I could hear the wind picking up as my slow, heavy breaths mingled with it. My fingers had busied themselves into forming a tiny sand-hill. I was scared of what I would hear as her reply.

Haha thats the most adorably awkward thing ever!

Maybe a little bit about the characters? I still don't know if your narrative is a guy or girl. Is your main character twenty-two, or forty?

Overall, this piece was really adorable! You played out the scene really well and I really enjoyed it ^_^
& maybe it's true
We don't know what we have till we lose it
But maybe it's also true
We don't know what we're missing
Till we [find it]

We're all stories in the end.
— 11th Doctor