z

Young Writers Society

It Might Not be Colorful, But At Least it'd be Real

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:23 am
Blank_Ink says...

I never knew what to say. Tyler was such a hard person to get through. But there was always constant conversation- unless, of course, we were fighting or too lost in our own thoughts.
One day he just stopped talking.
I had gone down to Macon during the last week of February to surprise Tyler. I showed up at his door Saturday morning, unexpected. He did one of those double-take head jolts, but he was glad to see me. His mouth was on mine before I even crossed the threshold into his house. I had missed his taste so much. I had missed all of him.
Our bodies were busy pressing together when Tyler's cell phone rang. In true Tyler fashion, he flung it across the room without sparing a glance at the caller ID. I heard it clunk twice as it hit the wall and then the hardwood floor. The phone call was forgotten to me.
It must have been hours later before Tyler picked up his phone again. I must have been asleep, snug in his big bed, because I don't remember him picking it up out of the corner of the room.
I also don't remember him leaving me in my sleep to return the call.
I finally woke up and found Tyler gone. This wasn't really unusual. Sometimes, I would wake up and find him still asleep next to me, or staring at me. Other times, I would wake to sounds escaping from the kitchen and I knew he was making brownies. (Tyler always said sex and brownies went well together.)
Those times I didn't see him, or hear his familiar sounds, he was usually out buying Dr. Pepper or root beer.
I glanced over. The door that led to the backyard (conveniently attached to his room) was locked. I knew he would never leave the house through the front. I closed my eyes and listened. Nothing. Not even his metal music faintly coming from the living room.
I pushed his favorite fleece blanket off of my body and took my time picking my clothes off the floor and getting dressed.
Before searching for him, I stepped through a doorway and into the kitchen, grabbing a plastic cup off the counter. I tried to guess what was in it before it reached my lips. Tea? No. Apple juice. I should have known.
After a drag on the liquid, I put Tyler's drink back on the counter and walked into the living room. "Tyler?" No. "Ty?" Still no.
On a whim, I opened the front door to a blast of cold wind. I could see exhaust coming from the back of his car, parked in the grass near the garage.
Now I heard the music, blasting through the speakers inside of his Pontiac. All of the doors were closed and the windows up. He looked up at me from the driver's seat and put his eyes back down again. I didn't find this surprising. Eye contact was not always his specialty.
He must have seen the question in my face because I saw him reach to his right and unlock the passenger door.
I was freezing by the time I closed the car door behind me, and I turned the heat up in his car. He looked at the dial, where my fingers had been, but didn't change the setting back.
I pushed the pause button on his CD player. "What's wrong?" I asked, my head tilting towards him.
"Nothing... that you want to hear about, anyway." He didn't look at me. I too moved my eyes to stare out the windshield.
Bull. "What happened?" I asked again, urgency striking a higher note in my voice. I could see him shake his head from the corner of my eye. I sighed and relaxed in my seat. Tyler sat tense next to me, his hands twitching and twittering with his jeans. I looked down and saw his black socks resting on the floorboard. I remembered how he hated white socks.
I continued to wait, tuning my brain to think of things that could have happened.
"Who was on the phone?" His body tensed more, barely visible but I noticed. Bingo.
"Lauren." A pause from me.
"Oh. Well, what did she want?"
Taylor stayed silent.
Hearing about Lauren made me anxious. She was the ex- the one who he dated for over a year, loved dearly, and still wasn't completely over. I knew this and tried not to read too much into it. I knew Tyler loved me too. Besides, Lauren had cheated on him, broken him down and almost bled him to death.
But he was still alive, and still trying to get over it.
I prodded again. "Well?"
"We just bullshitted, Kelly. Talked about whys and becauses and hows."
I nodded, tried not to get jealous. When was the last time Tyler had spoken to me that way?
"So she just called to say hi, then?" Tyler shrugged.
"She's dearly unhappy, and needed someone to talk to. I hate when she hurts." I nodded again. I knew he wasn't going to beat around the bush. There was no sense in hiding his feelings for her from me.
"What conclusion have you come to, then?" I asked, trying not to let him hear the desperation I knew was inside of me. Tyler breathed, one deep intake and exhale.
"I want her back."
I stayed motionless, my eyes once again forward, unfocused, staring through the windshield. And me? My mind screamed, but my mouth didn't react.
He offered no apology. I didn't expect one, really. I had hoped for one, perhaps. I sometimes forgot how Tyler reacted and who he really was when I felt most vulnerable. Finally, "and me?" aloud this time. I saw him shrug, again from the corner of my eye.
"Dunno, Kel, what do you want to do? I'm going to cheat on you just like she cheated on me. Not physically, but in my head."
I laughed- a forced, nervous giggle. "Tyler, we're not together. I mean, we never have been, officially." He nodded.
"I know. It's a good thing, then."
I stayed motionless for a moment longer. Then I opened the door, shivered from the cold air. "I refuse to be the one you call every time you're lonely and want a girl to sleep with. I'll be your friend, but that's all."
Tyler sat, unmoving. I waited a few more seconds before climbing out of the car and closing the door behind me, making sure to remain calm and not slam it in his face. I walked into the house and shut that door, too. I stood. Breathed. In. Out. Walked across the living room, into the bathroom. Grabbed the door knob, closed that behind me as well. How many barriers could I put between Tyler and I in a few precious seconds?
I undressed again, turned the water in the shower on. My eye caught the image in the mirror. I looked no different. It was once again Tyler and Kelly. No longer together, but apart. But as I had said to his face, we were never officially together in the first place.
Then I climbed into the shower and, for the first time, tried to wash his body off of mine.
Last edited by Blank_Ink on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are."
The bird turned, head tipped suspiciously on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,' " said Shadow.
"Bite me," said the raven

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:35 am
Loose says...

Your hook is disgusting.

You know what a hook is, don't you?

It's the first sentence (sometimes paragraph), that lures the reader to read more.

I may not be the Queen of the Tenses, but I can definately pick up a large no no in yours.

Read the first sentence out loud.

"Sometimes" = present tense.

"I never knew what to say" = past tense.

"Sometimes I never know what to say"

or

"I never know what to say"

would be perfect in that spot.

Fix it and maybe more people will read the rest.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:42 am
Sam says...

Hey, Blank_Ink!

Cool story--you obviously know what you're doing, and it shows. The storytelling is comfortable and natural, which is something you don't often see. ^_^

There were a few things, especially in characters, that I'd like to discuss, just to make it even better.

SLEEPING LESSONS

Your characters are sex machines.

They might not actually be, but the clothes are off within the first paragraph. If done well, this isn't necessarily a bad thing--it's a way to sell a lot of books. ^_~ However, it's not the best of literary devices. Why? Sex is a pretty much universal human experience. It'd be like trying to have an interesting hook and describing going to the bathroom. With the exception of certain priests, most of your audience is familiar with the Doing It.

Unfortunately, when used as an intro, it makes your characters kind of slutty. Usually in books sex scenes are used as a sort of "triumph", especially when the story is one of those boy-meets-girl sorts of things. Your characters aren't going to win any trophies when it's at the very beginning--mainly because we don't know who they are yet and frankly don't care whether or not they copulate.

So, how do you let your audience know that it happened, but that your characters are genuine human beings? Start with the aftermath. My personal preference would be to start with him making brownies, because that's a definite quirk. At the moment, you've got some introspection reguarding him, which leads us to...

WHO ARE YOU AND WHY ARE YOU TALKING TO ME?

The problem with starting and ending the story with Tyler-related angst is thus: we don't know who Kel is. And since this is a first-person story, it's kind of strange that we know more about Tyler than we do about Kel. First-person is saved usually for introspective, angsty-type things--but it's angst about self, and not about others. Pick up any YA novel for examples of this.

If you want to stick to first person, we really need to know who this person is and how she relates to Tyler right off the back. It can ramble about him, in between, but the conflict of the story is lost if we don't know her feelings on things.

Examples:

- Why does she trust Tyler, even though he is recently broken up?

- What does she love most about him?

- Why is she so comfortable with him?

___

Please PM me if you have any questions. I'd be happy to answer 'em for you. ^_^
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:11 am
darkest_of_them_all says...

Okay so I've packed away my torture devices and therefore I won't be spearing your story, putting it over a fire to roast :P. Since Sam covered a lot of the big quirks, time to focus on the little ones. I'm guessing Macon is a town though I thought it was a salon briefly (don't ask me why because I don't know either :D) but it is something you could possibly elaborate on. Also, you said something about it being typical of Tyler to drink apple juice... well, why? You started off in the middle of a story so all of the details or points you bring up in your story are not known to the reader because they don't know (we can't read your mind, though it'd be cool to do, sadly, we lack the ability). Other than that, I think it'd be interesting to see this story's future I guess you could call it and what happens to Kelly. Or even the events leading up to the story and why Kelly has sex with Tyler when they aren't really a couple. Anyways, this is good! :wink:

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:36 pm
Via says...

Hey Blank!

Well, it looks like Suzanne has pretty much tackled this already. I really don't have much to add, unfortunately. But, I'll try anyway! :]

I have to agree with the hook, it's not very...hooking. And most of the first part of the story is very padded...very "matter-of-fact". I think through the first half we do need to know more about Kelly and less about Tyler--its true what Suz said about the first person point of view.

I'd also suggest changing the ending a bit. Kelly has no emotion at all...yet the piece is very emotional. It wasn't a very "kapow!" ending...you know what I mean? It's needs to wow the reader, and this isn't overly wowing.

Hopefully this helped a little bit!

Happy Editing!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:32 pm
chick_with_a_pen says...

this is realy interesting i would want to read more.some editing would be helpful. keep writing.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:48 am
Kadie says...

Is this a first hand experience? Your name's Kelly, right? And the title kinda suggest's that it actually happened.

If this was a peice based on real life, then i'm not going to say anything about the emotions, because i've never been through something like that, and you have, so you obviously know how you acted and felt in that situation.

I felt that this could have been pushed a little further. Maybe more descriptive, and drawn out a little more. You don't really get a feel for the main character i don't think.

Is this part of a story, or a one shot? If it's a one shot, i don't think it should be classed as romance. Young adult maybe, or perhaps just misc fiction, since it's not specifically romantic.

But anyway, you obviously have talent. You're a good writer, and i think with a little bit of editing, this could be a great story.

Kadie xxx

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:58 pm
keirab says...

Hmm. I must say that, after reading "One day he just stopped talking" I was expecting something a bit more complicated, or mysterious, than him just getting back together with his ex. You really didn't elaborate on their relationship too much or build the characters greatly, which I was disappointed with. In some places, the phrasing of the sentences was also a bit clunky and awkward. Don't get me wrong, I can see you are a good writer, but not the best storyline I've ever encountered. Good luck!

In short, Mrs. Pontellier was beginning to realize her position in the universe as a human being, and to recognize her relations as an individual to the world within and about her.
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening