z

Young Writers Society

All the Little Songbirds, All the Silent Trees

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:01 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"To a certain extent," Beck said hesitantly. "That's what charms me so--the diversity of the world, the sameness mixed with the different adaptations. But that's not where we all come from, not really. Are you familiar with the teachings of the Nesting Order?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:02 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Aeron stiffened slightly. "I am, yes." He supposed he shouldn't be surprised. This type of person usually couldn't shut up about their gods for long.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:05 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Beck smiled, trying to keep things relaxed. "Sorry. We do have a bit of a reputation around here, don't we? But it's not really as bad as they say. It's interesting to learn about, at least, don't you agree? Even if you don't believe."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:07 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Mm." Aeron took a drink of his ale to stall and give himself time to think of a kind response. "Not exactly my interest, sorry."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:10 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Nobody starts out interested in something," they pointed out. "But you appreciate birds, as a fellow enjoyer of nature? Thrushes, swifts, herons, swans?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:10 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Depends on what type we're referring to," he said flatly, eyeing him. He wasn't stupid; he knew what this was.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:13 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Let's start with the average ones," they said, hiding in their tankard for a moment as they drank more ale. This was the part they hated--the hostility, the distrust. They were just trying to help, but the way people looked at them made them feel like a criminal. "Herons and swans, specifically. Your people believe in the old ways, right? Didn't herons and swans bear some significance in that religion? Messengers or something?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:15 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"I'm not religious," Aeron said stiffly. "I live and let live and like the same courtesy to be returned back to me."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:17 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Ah." That made things a bit easier; the religious ones were always harder to convert. "Well, you can appreciate the grace and beauty of those birds, can't you? They look intelligent."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:19 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"They're kind of assholes," Aeron said, not appreciating this person wasn't giving him an option to be nice to them. "I had a swan square up with me once 'cause it was tryna eat my fish after I'd caught it fair and square on my own. All kinds a hissing and false bluffs coming at me."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:22 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Beck had to admit that was true; standard swans were territorial creatures. But they were guardians of Cygna; they had to be territorial. "You're right." They nodded, chuckling. "I've stopped trying to get close to them. But we look past the harshness of winter to see the lovely snow, don't we?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:24 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"I guess." He took a drink, contemplating wandering off. This was killing the vibe. "I don't much like the cold, either, though."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:28 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Ah." They looked down at their notebook. "Fair enough."

The door opened and Tove finally strode in minus the cat, which the she had managed to coax off her shoulder with a little incentive. She looked around for the dark-haired young man she was supposed to be delivering the goblin ears to.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:29 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Tove!" Aeron called, welcoming the distraction. He didn't know her super well, but well enough to know her name. He offered a wave and a smile.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:32 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tove spotted the young villager whose name escaped her, and she nodded to him before returning to her search. She spotted the man finally and headed toward him.
"Who's that?" Beck asked quietly, watching the impressively athletic-looking woman in forester's garb stride up to a wan-faced farmer.

she/her

Teach a man to fish, he eats for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, you eat for a day. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.
— Ron Swanson (Parks and Rec)