@Liberty - Avery
@looseleaf - Alex

The OOC

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:21 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

"Good morning, Alex," Isaac said, not looking up from his cookbook. It was flipped onto the same pancake recipe he had made twenty times before. Somehow he didn't remember it.

"Mornin' dad,” Alex replied. She sat down in an armchair and looked at the notifications on her phone. None.

Alex could feel Samuel’s eyes staring at her. Sure enough, his eye glasses were on the side table and he was looking over the newspaper in his hands.

“No breakfast?”

She sighed and got up from her chair, “Y’know, I hardly eat anything for breakfast anyways,” Alex grabbed a banana and some coffee, “It won’t be the end of the world if I don’t have it.”

Isaac slapped a piece of toast and some bacon onto a plate and handed it to Alex, “Yes it will.”

Alex sat back down at the arm chair and listened to her fathers’ conversation. Samuel had gotten the job he wanted and was telling Isaac about the next month’s plans. Isaac, in turn, was recounting a case he was working on.

“What about you, Alex?”

“I’m.. not doing much, actually. My summer class doesn’t start until next month.”

“That Engineering degree isn’t going to get itself!” Isaac exclaimed, but Alex couldn’t tell if he was joking or not.

“I know.”

Samuel sat down on the couch and picked up the remote, “Maybe you should text Avery.. that’s his name, right?… yeah, text Avery and make some plans. Your New York trip was hectic enough you didn’t get to enjoy it.”

Alex nodded and took a bite of the toast. That wasn’t a bad idea. A trip where they didn’t have to solve a kidnapping would be nice. She pulled out her phone and clicked on Avery’s contact.

Alex: You doing anything today?

453 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 453
Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:07 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

Avery was going to cry if his mother knocked on the door again.

As soon as he was done with his finals, he crashed at his parent's house. It had been a week since he'd been at his apartment and he did not want to think about going there again because he was almost a hundred percent sure that there was a family of rats living under his couch.

And also because it reminded him of how he failed two of his exams.

Let's just say that the past couple of weeks had not been good to him.

"Avery," his mother called from the door.

"Yes, mum," he replied, holding back from crying.

"When are you getting up? Sweetie, I've been trying to wake you up for so long. It's been ten minutes, what are you doing?"

From underneath his pillow and the darkness of his room, Avery let out a sob and got up. He opened the door and looked at his mother with bloodshot eyes. "I want to sleep." He scratched his head with a frown.

Izzy, his younger sister, peeked into Avery's room - which was a mess - from behind her mum. "Are you okay, Ave?"

"Actually, Izzy, I'm not. I'm not okay, thank you for asking." He walked past them and into the bathroom with his phone. He sat on the edge of the bathtub and checked to see if he had gotten an email from his professor yet.

Nope. Great.

Ping!

A message from Alex.

Alex: You doing anything today?

He shook his head.

Avery: Other than crying and going to get some coffee, no, nothing

He put his phone in his pocket, turned on the tap as cold as it could get and splashed the water on his face.
*insert quirky signature here*

142 Reviews

Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:41 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Alex chuckled at Avery's text, prompting Samuel to say "What?" He instinctively said it whenever he butted into a conversation that had nothing to do with him.

"Nothing."

"Tell me."

"Avery said something funny," Alex grumbled, taking a bite of her food. She was nearly finished now. The relatively large breakfast after a banana or orange every morning for the past week was not sitting right.

Alex: Stop wallowing in self-pity lol. Dwelling on your exams isn't going to get you anywhere.

Realizing that might have been taken as rude, she added.

Alex: Sorry. What coffee shop are you going to? We could meet up.

453 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:04 am
Lib says...

After a freezing cold shower, Avery had changed into the same clothes he had been wearing for the past week. Quietly, he went to his parent's room, took out one of his dad's perfumes and sprayed it on. For a second, he basked in the glorious scent, then trudged down the stairs and entered the kitchen.

"He lives!" That was his dad, his hands up in the air, in front of the stove with a joyous expression. He froze and sniffed the air. "Is that my perfume?"

Avery mumbled an honest reply and plopped onto the barstool on the island.

"Do you want the salad you left in the fridge from last night or a cinnamon bun?" his dad asked.

Avery stared intently at his father. "You need to trim your mustache."

His dad made a face. "You need to grow a beard." He took out the bowl from the fridge and slid it across the marble top towards Avery, who raised his eyebrows in shock at the remark.

As he munched on the greens, Avery checked if there was anything new on the Instagram world. Nope. He got a message from Alex and opened it up.

"Dad, have I been wallowing in self-pity recently?" he asked, looking up from his phone.

"You look like a sunflower," his dad said. "A dead one," he added with a smile. Avery scowled.

What coffee shop was he going to? He had no idea but he decided to be cheap today.

Avery: Tims. Want me to pick you up?

142 Reviews

Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:18 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Alex was brushing her teeth when Avery's text arrived. She ignored it for a moment as she finished and sat down on the rim of the tub.

Alex: Sure, if you have the time.

She stood back up and went to the living room, ignoring her parents as they bickered about something unimportant. Samuel probably set the dishes in the sink without putting them in the dishwasher again. Alex turned on the TV and returned to the show she binging. She didn't really feel like doing anything until Avery arrived.

453 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:18 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

Avery: I'll be there in 10.

Avery threw away the empty plastic container his salad was in, and walked out of the kitchen.

"Oi! I could have washed that and saved it!" his father called after Avery.

Avery scoffed and grabbed the keys from the hook beside the fridge, "I'm going to get coffee, do you want anything?"

"Nope, all good here, just going to clean up after my twenty-year old child," his father joked.

"Ha-ha, so funny," Avery said sarcastically. "I'm nineteen."

He left the house and got into his five-seater car.

When he was on his way to his last exam for the year, he had been talking to his car, telling her about how stressed he was and how happy he was going to be after it was all over. And, he - mind you, accidently - named his car Francis.

Avery started Francis's engine and drove to Alex's.

A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity.
— Franz Kafka