Young Writers Society

Of Crows and Songbirds (Part 3)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:44 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Same)

Ky had been pleased to discover that the dances of her childhood weren’t terribly difficult to remember. Overall, anyhow. It did take her a little while to work them out and remember the sequence of the moves and which ones went to which tune, but she eventually got the music from her heart into her brain once more. She spent near an hour alone in her room after she got locked in for the night twirling around and around, thinking of how she’d modify the moves if Lady Constance was serious about wanting to learn. She’d need to take the lead since she was the one who knew the dances, and the lead needed considerable strength and dexterity, both of which were reduced in her still-healing state.

Still. She sort of hoped Lady Constance would forget, since teaching nobles and worse yet touching nobles was anxiety-inducing. But. Well. If she did remember, and she did still want them, then Ky was ready to teach.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:25 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Collab post between Shady and Grand

When Constance had told Gaius Ky would be teaching them a Southern dance, Gaius had been ambivalent at best. He was no dancer--never had been, even before his injury. The most he and Sara had ever done was gentle swaying, a far more intimate dance focused more on feeling each other's presence than doing steps to music. Dancing, because of this, had always felt like a private a fair to him. He rarely held balls or any such thing, though that wasn't particularly odd for most nobles these days. Constance was different, though, and she insisted that he at least come to watch them for the sake of a new experience.
So now he found himself seated in the dining hall, where the table had been moved to the side along with the chairs. Constance and Arianna were off in one corner waiting and chatting. Arianna looked less excited than her wife but she was at least enthusiastic. Gaius guessed it was more enthusiasm at the prospect of seeing Constance have fun than having fun herself, but it was good they'd both be happy. They'd seen war before and this one in particular was eating at them in a way it wasn't eating at him.

The door opened a moment later, and Ky hesitantly stepped inside, gaze flicking around the room. She looked a little nervous, though she was clearly trying to act like she wasn't. She met Gaius's gaze and offered a smile and dipped her head. "Hello!"

Gaius glanced up, giving her a simple nod. "Good morning," he replied. "I hear you're going to be giving dancing lessons; I thought it might be interesting to see."
Constance turned, grinning as she saw Ky. "Ah, there you are! How are you?"

"Well, ma'am!" Ky answered brightly, stepping further into the room. "And you?"

Tadaaki shuffled in after her, ducking his head to all of them and none of them at once. He'd been relaxing ever so slightly in the time they'd been here, but it was a daily -- not even daily, more often than that -- occurrence of him seemingly having to remind himself to breathe. He entered every single interaction tense and anxious, which he clearly was now, though he was forcing a smile. He didn't speak.

Gaius's gaze lingered on Tadaaki for a moment; that fellow was going to need more attention. He'd thought he was doing better, and he was, but there was still that underlying nervousness in both of them. He'd talk to Sera about how to help with it.
"I'm quite well!" Constance approached with Arianna in tow. "And very eager to learn your dances."
"She was also thinking of teaching you a couple of ours," Arianna added. "If you'd like to."
Northern dances were far from what Gaius expected Ky to enjoy. They were set to fairly upbeat tunes, certainly, but there was a slight rigidity to them that had come with the settlement and departure from the nomadic lifestyle. There were rules, regulations--where you could step, how you did it. In his experience down South it seemed things were more lax than that. He supposed he'd see.

"I'd love that!" Ky said with a grin, and it seemed like she meant it. "I'm afraid I have no familiarity with any Northern dances at all, though, so I'll be a complete beginner. Hope that's okay!"

"That's perfectly fine!" Constance nodded. "We're complete beginners when it comes to Southern dances, so it'll all work out."
The door opened once more and Tomhas strode through. "Hey, I hear there are dancing lessons in here!" he said. "Can I join in? I love dances."

Ky glanced at him with a smile, but didn't answer right away, waiting to see if someone else would first.

Gaius simply leaned back; Constance had most definitely told his little brother about this, then. This would be an interesting dynamic. He had a lot of energy and, for the most part, not much of an attention span.

"Well... not up to me," Ky said after a moment of silence, before it got awkward. "But no objections here, anyway!"

"Great!" Tomhas came to a stop in the middle of the room and looked around. "Er, where are the minstrels?"
"On their way," Gaius replied. "They came in from the village this morning so they're warming up with some breakfast and tea."

"You said they know Vethenandri?" Ky asked him, clearly trying to orient herself to get into the right headspace to teach.

"I believe so." He nodded. "Most of them are quite well-traveled; they know many dances from all over the continent."
"What's the Vethenandri like?" Tomhas asked.

"Very quick-paced," Ky answered, glancing at him. "It's a lot of twirling and jumping and such. Pretty physical. I hope that's okay? There are slower songs, too, if that's better?" She glanced at the Ladies Barraster as well.

"I love me some fast music," Tomhas assured her. "There's not enough of that up here!"
"I'm absolutely up for some fast-paced stuff," Constance agreed. Arianna nodded along.

"Perfect, then," Ky smiled, starting to stretch her shoulders and back, glancing between them. She hesitated, biting her lip as she considered the three of them, clearly trying to weigh her next words. "Do you have, um... preferences as to who takes what lead? Vethenandri is partnered."

"I can lead," Constance offered, looping her arm around Arianna's waist."
"What about me?" Tomhas looked around, grinning briefly at his brother. "Not joining us,Gaius?"
"As much as I'd love to," he replied dryly, patting the thigh of his bad leg. "Find yourself somebody else, little brother."
"Bummer."

Ky looked between them, silent and expression mostly neutral, but mind clearly working trying to figure out how this was going to work. "So... would you like to dance with me, then, sir? Or-or is someone else joining?"

Tomhas turned to her with a shrug. "I haven't invited anyone, but I could go grab Sera or Sara for sure. If you need a partner to demonstrate, though, I'd be happy to oblige!" He gave her a little bow.

"Um... I mean..." She blushed slightly, glancing around. "No preference, sir! It... may be a little tricky for me to teach when I'm not leading, um... but... I could figure it out! Or I can just um give pointers from the side. I-I'm happy to instruct however you'd prefer. I've... never done this as a girl, I'm afraid. Taught, that is."

"Why not just lead me?" He smiled. "I can follow, don't worry. Besides, I think it's always best to learn both sides of a dance."

Ky blinked at him; that clearly had never once crossed her mind. "...Are you sure, sir?"

"Sure!" He offered her his arm. "How do we start, teacher?"

Ky smiled, blushing a little. She reached for his arm like it was instinct, then hesitated before she actually made contact, losing her nerve. She hesitated, glancing at Gaius. "... Do you know how long it'll be until the musicians are here? No rush at all! Just curious."

Gaius opened his mouth to reply, and as he was about to speak the doors opened. About four instrumentalists stepped inside--one with a drum, one with a pipe, one with a viol, and one with a little tambourine. They all gave short little bows and stepped into the corner. Gaius looked to Ky and gestured toward the minstrels. "There you have it."

"Seems I do!" Ky smiled. "Thank you."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:40 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Co-written with da fab grand

Gods, how did she always get herself in these situations? She'd had to go and run her stupid mouth about dancing to a noble, and now look where it'd gotten her: trapped in a room with not only Lady Constance but three others. All intending to learn something from her. She hadn't expected that level of attention focused on her all at once.

Not to mention the ministrils themselves. And not to mention Emery and Tadaaki on top of it all. Not that Tadaaki was stressful; on the contrary, it was almost relieving to have him there. Only it wasn't. Because he wasn't actually contributing. He was being as quiet as possible and keeping absolutely all the attention off himself. At least, that's what it seemed like to her.

But maybe that's just because she felt like she had every eye in the world on her just then. Noticing her slightly-shaky breathing. Counting the droplets of sweat that were already beginning to bead on her forehead discretely, despite the fact that they hadn't even warmed up yet.

Her anxiety was already burning hot, though. Especially now that she knew Lord Loquitur wanted to follow her lead. She'd already been fretting all morning about the prospect of maybe having to lead Lady Constance; this was so much worse. Now not only did she have to worry about possibly offending him with a misplaced hand, but now she had to worry about possibly offending him through feeling emasculated by her lead.

Gods.

"Um... hello!" Ky waved uncertainly at the musicians, offering an anxious smile. "I'm told you know Vethenandri? Is... that something you'd be willing to play for us? Please?"

"The Vethenandri?" The minstrel with the viol, an Eastern woman with her hair done in a neat braided bun, grinned. "Gods, it's been years since I've played that tune. We know it well, though, worry not!"

Ky smiled, a little relieved. "Thank you, ma'am."

She strode slowly towards the middle of the clear space in the room, thinking through how she was going to approach this and keep her hands attached through the whole thing. That was a bit of an overstatement... probably. These particular nobles seemed harder-than-average to offend, but, well... heh.

"So, um..." Ky glanced back at Tomhas, hoping he was going to follow her without her having to ask. "Lytiasian dances are a bit... lively, as I mentioned. So just to... be clear... that means there's going to be a lot of physical contact. You're comfortable with that? I just... want to be sure we're all on the same page so it's a positive experience for everyone." And so that she ended the day unmaimed and in her bed, rather than any of the alternatives. "Consent and all that."

"I won't be uncomfortable unless you're uncomfortable," Tomhas assured her. "I'm huggier than the average Northerner, so you don't need to worry about me!" He smiled slightly as he strode to the middle of the room. "I'm all for lively dances though, in all seriousness. Heading down South was one of the best experiences of my life, aside from the heat."

"I'm glad to hear you enjoy it," she said with a smile, genuinely relieved. Good. Then he, at least, may have an idea of what he was signing up for. And, well, she'd be paying close attention anyhow to body language and such to make sure everyone's nonverbals were still consenting throughout it all. Maybe it'd be okay. "Okay, so, you start out partnered up, facing each other like this." She walked up to him and very hestiantly offered him her hand.

Tomhas took it with confidence, and Constance and Arianna mirrored her movements.

Ky glanced over at the musicians and offered them a small nod. They led into the tune, the notes clear and crisp and as beautiful as she remembered. More beautiful, even. The distance had made her heart grow fonder than she could have expected.

"So you stomp along with the drum with your right foot, like this..." Ky demonstrated, glancing between the three of them. "Then I'm going to step forward like this--" She did so, so that Tomhas had to take a step back with his left foot. She stomped three times where his foot had been a moment before, then stepped backwards, gently pulling him forward and gesturing for him to mirror what she'd just done.

She glanced over at the Ladies as well.

Constance was following along slowly with unsure feet, and Arianna was practically stumbling over herself as she attempted to keep up. Her brow was furrowed but she made no complaint.

Ky smiled slightly and then glanced back at Tomhas. She braced herself, trying not to be awkward now that the dance necessitated that they actually touch. He said he didn't mind...

She hesitantly wrapped her arm around his back, glancing at his face to see if there was a reaction before she went on.

Tomhas was watching his own feet with a no thoughts head empty expression on his face, though he appeared to be absorbing everything quite well. He glanced up at her briefly, giving her a nod. "What next?"

She relaxed ever so slightly and nodded. "Right. So then we extend our arms like this--" She did so as she talked. "Then we do a few skips to the side like this..." She led him gently in the right motion, glancing over to be sure the Ladies more or less had it down, then turned her attention back on Tomhas once again. "Then... now I'm supposed to spin you..." This felt like a crime. But she raised her hand that was still gently grasping his and nudged him towards a spin, waiting to see if he'd be easy to lead.

He spun, ducking under her arm a bit awkwardly due to his height but completing it competently.

She smiled a little at that, but nodded approvingly. He was doing well! Next was...

No chance in hell was she doing what came next. Not with him. Thankfully, she'd thought up some modifications last night with the intents of claiming injury if she was called on it. Which was objectively true -- Sera would probably be upset with her if she actually tossed and caught fully grown humans like the dance called for, what with the state of her ribs and forearm. So, just move on, then.

"Then I spin myself like this--" She kept their hands raised over her head and spun herself. "Then a little... dip." She faltered, losing her courage before she actually managed to push Tomhas over into a dip, though she was ready to support his weight if he decided to put himself into it like the song called for.

Tomhas did, though he was restrained enough that he didn't give her too much of his weight.

She pulled him back upright, then did a little horizontal spin around his back so that they ended up back to back with their shoulders touching. She dropped his hand and clapped once, punctuating the music right where it was in line with the beat like it belonged. The musicians had thankfully slowed slightly to accomodate the speed which she was teaching rather than the true rate of the song as it was written.

"It's... um... kind of? Just that?" Ky said, glancing between them. "Just... faster. And more spins?" Did they like it? She was trying to get a feel for whether she should keep teaching or offer a different tune to pick from. Were they have fun?

Constance and Arianna had stopped when she stopped. Constance was grinning and Arianna had an uncomfortable smile on her face; she looked stressed.
"That was great!" Constance said. "Can we go again a bit more slowly?"
"Same for me," Tomhas added.

"Of course!" Ky nodded quickly, "Sorry!" Idiot. Rushing nobles. She should have known better. She offered an anxious smile. "It gets easier the more you practice, I promise." She stepped back and offered Tomhas her hand again to take it from the top.

Tomhas took it. "This is great; I haven't done a proper dance in forever! Like, fifteen years forever."

Ky grinned, thoroughly pleased that he was having a good time. And Lady Constance, too. And. Well... she wanted Lady Arianna to be enjoying this more, but, well, there really was no way for her to get involved in that that ended well for her. "Yes sir! It's been quite a while for me as well -- it's nice to be back at it!" Not fifteen years, though. She didn't know how to walk fifteen years ago, much less dance.

She walked through the moves slower this time, being more mindful of being sure they were good with the pace, then hesitated at the end of the set where they'd ended the first time. "...Good?"

"Much better!" Constance nodded, as did Tomhas. "How are you doing, Arianna?"
"I think I'm getting the hang of it," she said uncertainly.
"I think I've mastered it," Tomhas chuckled. He certainly hadn't.

"You're all doing wonderfully!" Ky said encouragingly, nodding as she offered them a grin. "So... yeah. And then..."

She led them back into the next leg of the dance, which was much the same, with lots of stomping and spinning and clapping and dipping. But she was more careful to be mindful of the speed this time, and the musicians helped her with that as well. Gods bless them.

Gradually, though, they sped up as skill seemed to be improving. She got increasingly more confident in her lead as well, realizing that this seemed to be genuine desire to learn rather than just a ploy to hurt her by pretending to want to follow.

A few minutes later they got to the end of the dance. She put Tomhas into the deepest dip yet, then pulled him upright again as the final note of the music faded. She grinned, thoroughly enjoying herself. She was breathing heavily, body coated in sweat from the exertion, as she glanced at them.

Constance was breathing heavily as well but seemed thoroughly satisfied with herself. Tomhas looked much the same, but Arianna had grown increasingly frustrated with the dance. She was being an excellent sport, though, and no real sign of her displeasure was evident other than her slightly tense posture.

"Anyhow..." Ky took a deep breath, tugging her tunic straight. "That's Vethenandri." She shrugged, not sure what else to say.

"Thank you!" Constance grinned, walking over to her and offering her hand. "That was loads of fun; I've got to incorporate that next time we have a ball at our Keep."

Ky grinned, thoroughly pleased, and took her hand. "I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It's one of my favorites for sure."

"That might be my new favorite dance," Tomhas said with a broad smile. "Maybe I should just move down South. It seems like way more fun than up here!"

Ky blushed at that, still smiling but neither agreeing nor disagreeing with him. Statements like that were un-winnable. Best to let the topic move on without her input. In fact... "I'm glad you enjoyed it, as well!"

"You're an excellent teacher! Do you know any more dances? Can we learn?"
"Ah--" Constance held up a hand. "I absolutely want to learn more, but we've received and now it's our turn to give."

Ky grinned at that and dipped her head. "I'd love to learn!"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:20 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Can I pick?" Tomhas asked eagerly, and Constance dipped her head. "Let's do the Veithabjörn!"
"Going for the most graceful of Northern dances, are we?" Gaius asked with a small smile.
"Hey, don't shit on it until you've seen it done properly," Tomhas retorted, gesturing for the musicians to strike up the tune. They began a lumbering, rolling melody with low notes and a gruff manner. Tomhas chuckled. "Alright, form up so you're across from your partner."

(https://open.spotify.com/track/4leRr7JC ... 2340664045
This is kind of kind of what the song is like but with fewer instruments. The drummer minstrel is singing.)
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:29 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky glanced between them, a little nervous now. What did that mean? Was it going to be a difficult dance to pick up? Sort of sounded like it. And the music added to her concern. This seemed like it'd be a tribal sort of dance; would she be good at it? She didn't have the first idea. Hopefully she wasn't frustratingly bad.

Despite all her misgivings, she hid them well behind a confident smile and strode forward so that she was standing across from Lord Loquitur like he'd instructed.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:11 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

By Grand and Shady

"Okay, now crouch and sway your head." He demonstrated, moving his head heavily, keeping it low like a bear on the hunt. Gaius began tapping his cane to the beat.

Ky watched him uncertainly for half a moment, then glanced at Gaius, then awkwardly did as she was told.

"Hands on your knees." He bared his teeth in a grin. "This is an ancient dance, originating towards the end of the Tribal Era. Keep swaying, then--" He straightened very slowly and extended his arm up at a ninety-degree angle. "Back of the palm to back of the palm, circle with me. Slow, one step per two beats of the drum."

Ky hesitantly copied him, nodding slowly to show she understood. Her expression looked like she was trying very hard not to have an expression.

He switched rotations twice, guiding her through it. One of the musicians began to vocalize. "Okay, now switch partners so you're doing the same thing but with somebody else." Arianna was Ky's new partner; she seemed much more confident in this dance but lacked the grace and poise her wife and Tomhas did.

Ky smiled at her when they switched partners, and then just kept the same ever-increasingly-tired-looking smile on her face as she danced with Arianna.

Arianna gave her a small nod.
"Now leap!" Tomhas hopped in place, jumping into a crouch.

Ky blinked but imitated him half a second later, looking a little startled.

He stomped, foot to foot aggressively with a wild smile, facing Constance and swaying left and right again. "Good. Keep going for eight beats."

Ky did so, slowly gaining confidence, but her eyes were sharp and alert and keyed in closely on Tomhas, mimicking his every move.

"Now snap up!" He snapped up and to the side so he and Constance were standing beside each other with their arms outstretched upward.

Ky blinked at them, then her gaze flicked over to Arianna. She straightened uncertainly like she was trying to see if Arianna was going to raise her arms too and if she should copy.

Arianna did, almost in unison with the pair.

Ky belatedly was the last to do so, carefully keeping her expression neutral, but her cheeks were flushed with embarrassment.

"Now join up and clasp hands."

Ky awkwardly offered Arianna her hands.

Arianna took Ky's hand and Tomhas took her other. Constance took Arianna's hand.

Ky looked between Arianna and Tomhas with an anxious smile, though she was trying to look more sure of herself than she obviously was.

"Now rotate left four steps, then right four steps."

Ky was half a beat behind them for the first step as she observed, but quickly caught up, keeping her gaze on Tomhas as much as she could.

Constance let go of Arianna's hand and they entered a straight line. "Now stomp," Tomhas said. "Keep doing the head sways."

Ky was ever so gradually warming up so her sways seemed somewhat natural rather than the tense ones she'd started with.

"Now face your original partner, hands on shoulders, sway, then get into a crouch very slowly." He demonstrated with Ky. "Then we release each other and repeat the whole dance, and then there's a move to finish it all off after a certain amount of rounds."

After a few more rounds with increasing pace each time,Tomhas demonstrated the final move, which consisted of releasing each other's shoulders and sticking their arms straight up in the air, chest puffed out and head thrust forward.
"And that's it!" he said, relaxing as the music ceased abruptly with the final move. Gaius stopped tapping his cane and leaned back; his heart was pounding. Those sorts of dances always sent him into a trancelike state. It was hypnotic to watch the repetitive movements and hear the thrum of music older than his own ancestors.

Ky flashed a nervous smile, face still flushed but slightly less than it had been, as she very hesitantly began lowering her arms. She belated shoved her hands in her pockets, seeming more secure once she did so.

"So yeah." He paced back to the musicians, patting one on the shoulder. "Definitely not quite as lively or fun as your dance, but it's got a sort of...hrrr, you know?"

"It's nice," Ky said with a nod. "Thank you for teaching me!"

"My pleasure!" He bowed. "Think of it as me returning the favor."

Ky smiled at that and nodded again. "Does it have any social or religious significance?"

"Social, mostly. It's an old dance that they used to do after a successful hunt--the name of the dance translates to Bear Hunt, so the movements are modeled after the way bears move. It was usually done around a fire, but once people settled here it was done in feast halls."

"Makes sense." Ky nodded, glancing around the dining room. "Was the bear involved in it at all?"

"Definitely not personally; it would eat everybody." He chuckled. "When I said successful hunt I meant in general, not just when someone killed a bear. People didn't actively seek out bears to kill unless they needed more hide or bones."

"Oh." Ky blushed a little and dipped her head. "Yes, sir. That makes more sense."

"Should have specified." He shrugged. "What about your dance? What's the history there?"

"Um... I don't think there was much significance to it," Ky said with a shrug. "That one is popular with teenagers and young adults, but no, um... it's not meaningful. It's just fun."

"That's meaningful in its own right," Constance told her. "It was a lot of fun, for sure!"

Ky grinned. "I'm glad you enjoyed it! It was fun for me to re-remember it as an adult; I haven't tried dancing it in years. It's easier now." She chuckled a little.

"Age brings many things, including skill," Tomhas said with a grin. "You're a great teacher and a great dancer--and a great learner, actually."

"Thank you, sir," Ky smiled, genuinely pleased with the compliment. "That's very kind of you to say! I enjoy dancing quite a lot. It feels... freeing? Or... I don't know. It's just nice. And brings back nice memories."

"Absolutely! That's what dancing should be all about."
"In the East it's about status," Constance noted, wrinkling her nose.

Ky ran her fingers through her hair to settle it, giving no response to that whatsoever. Staying out of it

"Fair enough. But those dances can be fun too! Especially if you wear the frilly goofy stuff they wear over there. It twirls so nicely!" Tomhas spun in a circle.

Ky smiled at that. "Their dances are quite unique. I found them fascinating to learn."

"Oh yeah?" He stopped and faced her. "Which ones did you learn?"

"Um... the rinnce fada was my favorite," she offered.

"Ah, cool!" He grinned. That one's fancy."
"Dainty," Constance added with a chuckle. "I've seen that performed before; the dancers look like flowers with all the colors they wear. And Tomhas is right about the spinning."

"There's lots of spinning," Ky agreed with a grin. "That's why it's fun."

Tomhas spun again. "It's just not the same in these boring browns and grays," he sighed. "And the cape doesn't twirl the same."
"Sounds like you need an Eastern tailor," Gaius mused.

"Can't be too terribly difficult to import, I would imagine," Ky said thoughtfully.

"But extremely, extremely unstylish up here," Tomhas replied. "It'd be political suicide to dress that way in the Northern Realm, not to mention kind of appropriative. The East would look at me as weird as the North would. Plus, the heels are just ridiculous."

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:08 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky nodded in agreement. “Valid points all around.”

The dance he’d just shown her felt like appropriation in its own right, though. At least for her. It felt like some sort of rite or at the very least traditional if not sacred — and of a culture she didn’t belong to. She couldn’t speak as to whether it was appropriate for these Northerners dance it, though. But she supposed that if it was acceptable, and they were actively sharing it with her, then that made it okay.

But, then, she wasn’t about to tell the nobles they couldn’t do something regardless of what it was or how wrong it felt. And she wasn’t going to refuse any instructions they gave her, short of directly harming someone.

Lord Ash was being incredibly generous and kind with her, not holding her position over her head at all. And yet she remained acutely aware of how near the dungeon was at any given moment. She wasn’t going to take her relative freedom for granted. And she certainly wasn’t going to tempt fate.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:04 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"So what now?" Tomhas glanced between them all. "Any more dances we'd like to try?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:17 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Whew boy it’s been a hot minute xD)

Ky glanced around with a little smile, dipping her head respectfully. “I’ll follow your lead, however you’re feeling.” Dance, no dance, it didn’t matter to her.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:20 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(This rp is harder for me for some reason)

"Let's do something else, then," he said, thinking for a moment. "A ride?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:27 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Same here. I’m just not quite sure which direction to take things ever. Tho earlier today actually I did think of this and had an idea for how Ky’s childhood best friend could make Gaius wildly uncomfortable if she ever got up here from Makata’s which could be fun if we fudged timelines lol but it is higher effort for sure. I think we are focusing on characters harder to write. I am, anyhow. Trying to get more into Aleth’s brain and you’re exploring Loren and the old general and even Bay more which I can’t imagine are easy to get into their heads lol)

“Fine by me.” Ky dipped her head. As if she’d say no regardless of what activity he picked, short of suggesting they offer her up as a human sacrifice. And even that may have been a weak dissent. She knew what she deserved. And it wasn’t recreation.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:34 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(I'm not having as much trouble with them as I am resetting Tomhas and Gaius, I think. It is difficult to get into Nox and Loren's heads, but they're new clay and Tomhas and Gaius have already set their molds.)

"Shall we hunt or just ride?" Constance asked.
"Let's just ride," Arianna said, and Tomhas nodded in agreement.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:42 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(That’s actually a very valid point as well ^^ it’s odd having Ky interact with them in a cautious, detached sort of way instead of a messy family sort of way. Tadaaki is just my wholesome himbo in both lol)

Ky gave a tiny nod as well, slowly realizing she wasn’t sure she was actually invited along. She thought that was what that social cue meant. But also she wasn’t a noble and never would be. Hard to say if they were done humoring her or not.

Also hard to say if Ash wanted her leaving the Keep. She certainly wouldn’t trust herself if she were him. Not yet. Maybe never.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:46 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(I'm not too sure how far we'll get in this rp; I don't have the same drive.
I do really want to explore our respective jerks though so I'll keep trying)

"Are you an experienced horserider?" Tomhas asked her.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:51 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(That’s fair ^^ I mean we’ve already made it through 2 full threads which is significantly longer than most RPs haha) (I almost wanna explore Ky and the Barrasters this go around. We could hop back and forth between them and the jerks and not try to rehash everything with Gaius and Tomhas)

“Yes sir.” She nodded.

[they/he]

If you're paranoid that you're making your novel worse with each passing decision clap your hands
— Panikos