z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 13)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:44 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Thanks! I ended up hiding in the corner of the cafeteria and got to eat alone but then it filled up with people and got noisy so now I’m sitting in a different bathroom trying to get myself to stop being over-stimulated… I swear to god if people talk me into hanging out tonight someone needs to slap me)
(And yeahhhh lol)

Would Anneke be upset with her, too? If she came home looking like this? Couldn’t risk that. She only got one mother, after all. She needed to make sure she was an adequate daughter so she disappoint her.

Which meant eating.

If Ky got her way, she’d be home within weeks. And it took a while to fatten up, especially with her metabolism. She needed to get a head start on it. Maybe Tomhas would forget by the time they got home and Anneke wouldn’t need to know at all.

She shoved a boiled egg in her mouth and chewed it once, twice, three times — then swallowed. At least it was well-cooked. Adequately softened.

It felt like it coated her entire throat and made it hard to breathe.

She took another long drink of juice.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:31 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Balance is important; can't socialize too much. Take care of yourself!)

Gaius had his mouth shut tightly, glancing every now and then at Sara. Why had she switched places with Ky? He needed someone who would hold his hand, tell him he could get through this. She gazed at him wordlessly, and he could see in her eyes she wanted to be with him too. He fiddled with his fork, suppressing a sigh. Ky was making good progress and he needed to catch up.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:44 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Yii luckily I made better choices tonight and ran before I could be invited out lol and retreated to my room after class so I feel more human… I know I’m not actually gonna sleep because of who I am as a person but I’m telling myself imma go to bed early tonight lol)
(Aww buddy)

Her stomach clenched, threatening to toss all of the food back out of itself. She exhaled sharply through her nose with the effort it took to keep it down. She didn’t have the courage to swallow down the salty spit at the back of her throat, afraid it’d tip the balance out of her favor and make her lose her meal. She damn sure wasn’t replacing the food if it came back out. So she needed to make sure they didn’t happy — they’d all be unhappy if it did.

Could she leave how? She’d eaten over half her food. Sure, she’d only served herself a partial portion to begin with. But. Well. She’d tried. Plus she hadn’t actually told him she was planning for her punishments to be her not being allowed to be in her room — so there was nothing at stake, really.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:56 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Aw excellent)

Gaius got two more bites in over the next ten minutes, then set down his fork and wiped at his eyes. He couldn't do any more. He'd eaten less than half but he needed to stop or he was sure he'd throw up.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:02 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky hadn’t managed to get anything else down. At one point she braced herself and was about to try, but then saw Gaius wasn’t. And fair was fair. This wasn’t going to motivate him to eat, if she consented to eating without him doing so as well. No. If he wanted her to fix her eating disorder, he was going to fix his alongside her.

She glanced at his face, trying to gauge if he was taking a break or if they were done. She hoped they were done.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:10 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

He was pale and his face was beaded with sweat. He'd resorted to pushing his food around his plate while his stomach churned; he still felt nauseous. It was almost like being poisoned.

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:13 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Done, then. She set her fork down and grabbed her juice, but didn’t drink it. Her hands just felt like they needed something to do to make her look busy.

Aashi had been slow to catch on, but she noticed Tadaaki noticing Ky, and when she looked over both she and Gaius looked positively terrible. What in the world was going on here? Were they both ill? Had something happened? “…is everything okay?”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:46 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Nice new avvie!)

Gaius glanced at Aashi, grimacing for a moment before looking toward Ky. No way was he going to answer that; he felt like if he opened his mouth he'd be sick. Besides, it was impertinent of her to ask at all.

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:51 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Thanks! I'm belatedly trying out the character interview hashtag -- Jerica's (Ky's sister) squire :3 you may someday meet him xD)

No, then. Aashi cringed slightly, also glancing at Ky, who wasn't thrilled at being put on the spot. She flushed. No need to bombast on Aashi's behalf. "Fine... how are you?"

"...fine," Aashi said hesitantly, glancing at Gaius again.

(there's a guy in the hall who sounds drunk talking very loudly and swearing a lot and idk what to do)("you're not in the military no more motherfucker, you're not. Stop. STOP!" -- like, is there about to be a fight? Should I... call someone? No chance I'm going out there... but it's getting loud...)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:00 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Oh rad! Lemme go give you a question.)

(Oh man sounds like that guy isn't okay. Poor dude. Probably lay low and someone else will deal with it)

His eyes flicked up to her, then back down.
"Do you do anything to celebrate pregnancy in Totallisa, Aashi?" Sera asked. "Naming ceremonies, gifts, anything like that?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:14 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(eyy thanks!)
(I ended up calling security >.> I am now trembling because I fear getting involved in conflict. I rationally know he has no way of knowing it was me that called but I am anxious all the same lol idk I maybe should have stayed out of it but I'm afraid someone may get hurt with how angry he sounds. Like it seems like he's arguing with a veteran from context so... probably? safe? ish? But like... gah idk. Not my problem now. I'll just anxiously listen and hope I don't hear anything that sounds dangerous)(OHHHH SHIT HE JUST SAID A NAME I THINK I KNOW WHO HE'S ARGUING WITH)(the guy is lowkey douchey, but still...)(you have no idea how badly tempted I am to ask tomorrow xD the guy is my seatmate in class if it's the same Doug)

"Oh, um..." Aashi blinked, considering for a moment as she rubbed her belly. "It... sort of depends. On timing, if that makes sense? We don't really do anything special just because -- until the birth -- but depending on time of year... like... every summer there's a Waters Festival where people journey to the nearest lake or river or coast or whatever is nearest to where you live and spend three days celebrating the life given to us through the water. And pregnant people get to enter the water first, while loved ones reflect upon their life... everyone gets a turn, but pregnant people go first. Followed by parents of the newest born with their infant. Followed by the elders. It's... a special time."

Tadaaki glanced at her, a small pang of melancholy shooting through him. It really, really had been special. "In the winter we have an arts festival and the pregnant person gets to begin the festivities by painting the first stroke on a vase their partner molded."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:19 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Oh shit yikes
The tea is spilling now)

"That's so romantic," Sara piped up. "What sorts of designs are there?"
"A Waters Festival sounds like fun," Rickard ventured.

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:26 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(such fascinating dynamics xD so much for sleep)

"Whatever you like!" Aashi said with a grin. "I usually go for more abstract designs with very bright colors -- particularly yellows and vibrant blues contrasting sharply. Aaki goes for more earthen sorts of art and usually makes pottery or woodwork for others to paint. They're really lovely, even before they're decorated."

Tadaaki blushed. Why was she complimenting him? How embarrassing. He wanted to argue, but knew that would only make her double down, so he sent a bashful glance at Rickard instead. "... the Water Festival really is fun. You'd like it, I think."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:29 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Do you want the Golden doodle I'm dogsitting? She barks very loud but she's very good for cuddles.)

"How else do you celebrate aside from going into the water?" he asked.
"That ought to be a tradition everywhere," Sara mused. "Though I'm not sure I'd be very good at sculpting."

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:35 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(I envy how often you dogsit what a life)(and the drunk man hasn't shouted in a minute or two so it may be over, we shall see)

"Papa can teach you!" Tasia said eagerly. "He's super good at it! Well, okay, no, he's not. Not as good as he is at carpenteterey BUT still good!"

Tadaaki blushed even more, giving her a disapproving frown. "I'm not good, I'm just free." What an odd phrase, now that he'd experienced the opposite of being a free man. He'd never meant it like that before. "...I made things for free... for the festival... for fun--"

He cleared his throat, feeling like he was digging himself an ever-deeper hole, and glanced back at Rickard. "We live nearest to a river, so we'd make little rafts of flowers and reeds weaved together and light candled on top and send our desires to float into the future."

(jk he just loudly beat on someone's door and now they're arguing again)

[they/he]

I sleep with reckless abandon!
— Link Neal