z

Young Writers Society

Novel Follower -Gone Fishing; Be Back Soon-

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 pm
ultraviolet says...

Temporarily closed due to amount of reviews due and busy schedule.

Yeah, you read right. I will review a novel. A whole one. From ten chapters to sixty-eight. Don't get me wrong, I'll do short stories or incomplete novels with only a chapter or two. But whereas most people shy away from reviewing novels that are x-amount of chapters in, I delight in those.

I like reviewing long works because I get to know the characters, the setting, the plot. I can search for plot-holes, inconsistencies, give long-run grammar problem nitpicks. I've always loved full-length novels better than short stories. So if you have a work with too many chapters to count and are having trouble getting a new/consistent reviewer, here I am, offering myself up in a very naive fashion.

Reviewing Preferences:

Fantasy
Science Fiction
Action/Adventure

These are what I've read the most and am most knowledgeable in, and will probably give the best reviews in.

Will Review:

Romance
General Fiction

I've read them, I can do them, they're just not my biggest interest. But I'll still happily do them.

Please Don't Make Me Review:

Historical Fiction
Fanfiction

Honestly, I'm not all that knowledgeable in historical atmospheres. I just don't read that kind of stuff. And as for Fanfiction, I don't have anything against it, but I probably wouldn't have read/watched what you're writing about, so yeah, makes it hard to review that then.

For Short Stories or Few Chapters:

I'll try to write the review within the day, though I'm usually busy on weekends. And honestly, sometimes it just takes me a couple of days to get to things. But if I take more than a day or two, pound on my door and threaten to arrest me. You should get results.

For Long Novels:

I'll go through them, one chapter at a time. From 1 to 68. I probably won't do more than a chapter a day (two or three if you're lucky), and the same rules apply if I don't get back to you right away as above. It may take a while to get through all your chapters if you have a lot, but I'll get to them. And if you come out with another chapter of a novel since I reviewed the last parts, PM me or post on my thread and I'll take a look at it. Crazy or not, I'll stick through your novel to the end.

About My Reviewing Style:

Honestly, sugar-coating doesn't help anyone. I'll be harsh, and I'll sound cruel. I know, because if that were me, I'd want to know what's wrong so I could fix it. So if I seem unnecessarily mean, just sit on it - my points won't be unnecessary.

I don't like doing nitpicks because 1, they take forever, 2, a lot of people do them, and 3, most people want reviews on content and not enough people give those out.

I'll give my overall impression, as well as any mistakes in consistency/voice/character/setting/any flaws I see. I'll also be checking for how all the chapters fit together/if the beginning hooked me/if the middle kept me interested/if the ending was -whatever you were going for-. Those are the kinds of things I'd want reviewed, so those are the reviews I hand out.

To Request A Review:

Just post a link below to your work. I can hunt it down in your portfolio, but I'd really prefer not to. A link would make me love you forever.

I guess that's it. Just reply below. I'll be waiting.

----

Requests

The Magi by pointe2drama - Reviewing Complete (For Now)

Spoiler! :
Chapter 1 - Done!
Chapter 2 - Done!
Chapter 3 - Done!
Chapter 4 - Done!
Chapter 5 - Done!
Chapter 6 - Done!
Chapter 7 - Done!
Chapter 8.1 - Done!
Chapter 8.2 - Done!

My New Home by Rascalover - Reviewing Complete (For Now)

Spoiler! :
Chapter 1 - Done!
Chapter 2 - Done!
Chapter 3 - Done!

Mirage by StoryWeaver13 - Reviewing Complete (For Now)

Spoiler! :
Chapter 1 - Done!
Chapter 2 - Done!
Chapter 3 - Done!
Chapter 4 - Done!
Chapter 5 - Done!
Chapter 6 - Done!
Chapter 7 - Done!
Chapter 8 - Done!
Chapter 9 - Done!

Angels by Orinette - Reviewing Completed (For Now)

Spoiler! :
Prologue - Done!
Chapter 1 - Done!
Chapter 2 - Done!
Chapter 3 - Done!
Chapter 4 - Done!
Chapter 5.1 - Done!
Chapter 5.2 - Done!

The Masquerader by megsug - Reviewing In Progress

Prologue - Done!
Chapter 1.1 - Done!
Chapter 1.2 - Done!
Chapter 2 - Done!
Chapter 3 - Done!
Chapter 4 - Done!
Chapter 5 - Done!
Chapter 6 - Not Reviewed

Turning The Tables by Shrubbery - Reviewing Completed (For Now)

Spoiler! :
Chapter 1.1 - Done!

Stop and Stare by Skins - Reviewing In Progress

Chapter 1.1 - Done!
Chapter 1.2 - Done!
Chapter 2.1 - Done!
Chapter 2.2 - Done!
Chapter 3.1 - Done!
Chapter 3.2 - Not Reviewed
Chapter 3.3 - Not Reviewed
Chapter 3.4 - Not Reviewed
Chapter 3.5 - Not Reviewed
Chapter 4.1 - Not Reviewed
Chapter 4.2 - Not Reviewed

The Consultants by Ben Franks - Reviewing Completed (For Now)
Spoiler! :
Chapter 1 - Done!

Ogygia by moderncalypso - Reviewing Completed (For Now)

Spoiler! :
Chapter 1 - Done!
Chapter 2 - Done!
Chapter 3 - Done!
Chapter 4 - Done!
Chapter 5 - Done!
Chapter 6 - Done!

Love In The Rain by dasiamarie - Reviewing Completed (For Now)

Spoiler! :
Chapter 1 - Done!
Chapter 2 - Done!
Chapter 3 - Done!
Last edited by ultraviolet on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 60 times in total.
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:16 pm
LadySpark says...

OHOHOH!!! I'm the first one! well, I have a big thing to ask.

I have a novel called The Magi, heard of it? *awkward silience* well... Now you have! I don't need any reviews on the first 7 chapters, but the last one (I have written to ch. 8) needs reviewed:

Part 1: topic76158.html
Part 2: topic76201.html

I would strongly suggest you read the chapters before that.

Novel link: novel.php?id=976

thanks U.V.!
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:16 pm
LadySpark says...

OHOHOH!!! I'm the first one! well, I have a big thing to ask.

I have a novel called The Magi, heard of it? *awkward silience* well... Now you have! I don't need any reviews on the first 7 chapters, but the last one (I have written to ch. 8) needs reviewed:

Part 1: topic76158.html
Part 2: topic76201.html

I would strongly suggest you read the chapters before that.

Novel link: novel.php?id=976

thanks U.V.!
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

262 Reviews

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:38 pm
ultraviolet says...

Thanks for the post! I can't really get to this 'til at least Sunday (sorry, weekends are my busy time and my sister invited a bunch of friends over) but after that I'll get at least one review in a day, on average. So, I'll start with your last ones, then go back to the beginning. 'Cause I have an OCD in reviewing all chapters. Anyway, thanks for the request. :)

loveness, ultraviolet <3
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:24 pm
322sivart says...

Hi ultraviolet!
I'm glad that I found this page, because as you know most people won't like to do this.
"The Gold Watch" is general fiction/crime drama. I really hope you don't find it boring.
Here's the link to the first chapter (that's all I've got so far):
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic75976.html

In your review, please let me know if you would be interested in reading more, once I write it.
Thanks in advance!
-Alex
Need reviews?
I'd be happy to give them.
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic76104.html

262 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:57 pm
ultraviolet says...

Done, 322sivart! If you post more chapter, send me a link and I'll check it out also. :)

loveness, ultraviolet <3

~asofterworld.com

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:36 pm
View Likes
Rascalover says...

Hey can you pretty please review chapter two of my romantic fiction novel My New Home. topic76151.html#p820675

Please and thank you,
Tiffany
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

Who needs a review? :) http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic38078.html

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:01 pm
StoryWeaver13 says...

Suh-weet!!! Awesome idea ultraviolet, it's so hard to find people who'll follow your novel through. I don't care if you decide to keep up with mine or forget all about it, but think you could take a look at chapter one? My technologically-impaired self will try to get you the right link, it should bring you to my novel "Mirage."

novel.php?id=1098

Anyway, it's action-adventure/mystery-ish, and pretty rough right now, so feel free to tear it to shreds. XD
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:10 am
322sivart says...

Hey UV,
Thank you for that great review of chapter one!
Here's chapter two:

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic75976.html

Thanks in advance
-Alex
Need reviews?
I'd be happy to give them.
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic76104.html

262 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:29 am
ultraviolet says...

Rascalover, both of yours are done. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to do at least one review for the rest of you, more if I can.

loveness, ultraviolet <3

~asofterworld.com

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:40 pm
Orinette says...

Hi there!

Hmm... you say you're a harsh reviewer? Well, I think I'd like a fresh look at my current brain-child, "Angels", if it isn't too much trouble! (I have a couple people following it already, but it's always nice to get new feedback :smt001 )
It's fantasy/sci-fi, and it's currently got a Prologue + 4 full chapters + half of chapter 5 posted, with more in the works!

Here's the link to the novel:
novel.php?id=878

No rush, but thanks a million if you get to it! :)
"Children see magic because they look for it."
- Christopher Moore

262 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:59 pm
ultraviolet says...

Thanks for the request! I'll take a look at it tonight or tomorrow. And sorry to anyone if I take a while getting to all of your chapters. I try to be fair with who I review and when.

loveness, ultraviolet <3

~asofterworld.com

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:58 am
megsug says...

Hey,
I've got part of a novel for you. The first few chapter have a lot of reviews, but it's getting harder to get them.
Here's chapter one. It should have the link to part two. viewtopic.php?t=68961
Thanks.
Test

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:23 pm
MiaParamore says...

Here's it---if you don't feel like reviewing second part--don't. I am not curious on that one.

Turning the Tables
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

262 Reviews

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:05 pm
ultraviolet says...

Sure, I'll do yours. Sorry, though, that I haven't been reviewing much. I haven't really been on much, and when I have I've been kind of absorbed in my novel. But that will change. It might take a while, but I'll get all of these done. And I wasn't kidding - if I start to lag, just yell at me. I do better under guilt.

~asofterworld.com

Meatball, meatball, spaghetti underneath; ravioli, ravioli, great barrier reef!
— Spongebob