Alpha says...

Whoopee! The stalker system is back! Evil smiles, y'all :twisted:

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:38 am
View Likes
Jas says...

Hi!

Just wanted to mention that for literary works, you can like both the topic and the post with the actual work, which is like having two like buttons for the same thing. That seems kinda confusing.

:]
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:28 am
View Likes
Nate says...

The new literary works area will be live on Saturday. This is an absolute guarantee.

It's not going to be bug-free, and not all features will be 100% ready, but it's already ready to go now and I see no reason for delaying any further. However, all literary works will necessarily go offline for a few hours on Saturday. This is to transfer all works and comments to the new system, as well as to ensure all points and reviews dating back to Christmas Eve are counted.

So I say again, the new literary works area will be going live at some point on Saturday.

Also, the new profiles will be ready to go very soon as well. Extremely soon. I've spent the past month laying down a lot of groundwork, and now it's all rapidly coming together.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:55 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Oooooh I am so excited for the Literary Works area to be live! I might even have to post something just for my chance to play around with it.

Profiles too? You spoil us Nate!

This is why we love you <3 (That and your awesome personality obviously).
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:30 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

...I kept thinking it was Saturday today, so I kept on refreshing the literary works. XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:10 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Snoink wrote:...I kept thinking it was Saturday today, so I kept on refreshing the literary works. XD

Well, just keep in mind that it may not go live until 11:59 pm EST!

The biggest X factor right now is the conversion process, and I may be forced to take the entire site down to do it. With the literary works, it took me about an hour (which I have do again). But, there's only around 50,000 literary works. On the other hand, there's more than 300,000 posts to those literary works.
So if took an hour to do 50,000 literary works...

Fortunately, it's just not a simple matter of multiplication thanks to economies of scale. So for instance, it'd take 20 minutes to do just one literary work, but 1 hour to do 50,000 literary works. I'm hoping that the conversion process for 300,000 posts will only take 2 to 3 hours, but it could take substantially longer if something goes wrong.

In any case, please just be mindful that there will be bugs as we initially transfer. However, the bugs should be ironed out in a few days, so I don't think it'll be a big deal.

In regards to profiles, my aim is to actually allow commenting on profiles by Monday; if not on Sunday itself. The code is actually written, and all I need to do is the design. After commenting, portfolios will come next and then the new blogs system. However, news feeds will not available for a week or two.

Also with profiles, the default view for guests will be your portfolio. That way, you can share your portfolio with friends and family easily. For members, the default view will be the user's board (as with the previous YWS).

OH! One final point that I don't think I've talked about. Guests will now be able to leave reviews and comments to literary works once the new system goes live. This is to allow those situations where you want a friend or family member to comment on a work, but they don't necessarily want to deal with the hassle of registration.

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:19 pm
View Likes
Lavvie says...

This awesome. I love this. Best YWS anniversary yet.

However, will there be an option like on the last sight to hide certain things from guest users? Like what if we don't want something to be commented on by a guest user?

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:43 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Lavvie wrote:This awesome. I love this. Best YWS anniversary yet.

However, will there be an option like on the last sight to hide certain things from guest users? Like what if we don't want something to be commented on by a guest user?

There are privacy settings now! So, you can set the work appropriately so that only the people you want to have to see it. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:23 pm
Dragongirl says...

So. Excited.

I can't wait to have a profile again! Seems like everything is coming together so quickly now. *Does a happy dance while patting head and rubbing tummy.*

Thanks for all the hard work Nate.

Oh Christmas!

-Dragongirl

Ps. I don't know what I mean by 'oh christmas' either. XO
"Every writer I know has trouble writing." - Joseph Heller

~ A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need advice.~
- Bill Cosby

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:35 am
View Likes
EnchantedPanda says...

Yay, the literacy works area and profiles are going to be complete! This is so awesome, I can't wait to see what they're like!

425 Reviews

Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:18 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Well, the new literary works area is up.

It is by no means feature complete, and there are still a lot of bugs. I also am still working on the new submission system (which will be done tonight).

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:26 am
AlfredSymon says...

Yey! The Literary Works are done (well, at least some of it)! Nevertheless, there are a lot of bugs to be worked on, haven't we?

The design, like the whole site itself is calm and cool, perfect for the eyes. The browsing menu at the right is quite confusing, though. There are a whole lot of new genres available for new submissions. But how about the old ones? Where are they now?

It's for us to find out! ;)
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:18 am
DarknecrosisX says...

Hahaha, nice touch with the big red box Nate, that was hilarious :D

One quick thing, I don't want to sound ungrateful (because I'm really not), but would it be possible to have the notifications up soon? My friends and I are finding it quite hard to keep our storybooks and discussions alive, some people (especially myself) have a bad memory. Just thought I'd ask.

Fantastic work Nate, everyone appreciates it!

DNX :J
Laments of passion
Obstructed by fear.
Under guises of jovial chatter;
Incredulous hopes
Steadily feasting away-
Eating away at my heart.

425 Reviews

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:52 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Thanks for reminding me about notifications. I'll get those back up in a couple days. Was holding off until the new literary works area was up.

In any case, the new submission system is now online. Please be aware that ratings, likes, and number of comments are still not showing up in the browse area. They're very small things that won't take me long at all to do, but my energy is sapped from getting the submission system to work right will all types of poetry. I'll get a bunch of the little things done tomorrow.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:56 am
Lava says...

Nate. It looks gorgeous. Thanks.

Although I can;t figure out how to edit one of my works. Is it one of those little things?
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

The first draft is a trip to the amusement park. The next drafts are returning there as a safety inspector.
— SunsetTree