Young Writers Society

YWS: Apollo Updates Thread

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:07 am
Lava says...

Whoo Notifs!!

Also. Can we have the birthdays bit at the bottom of the forums page again? I kinda miss wishing people. Not that I'm stalkery or anything.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:04 am
Twit says...

Pretty notifications!
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:50 am
Cadi says...

Yay, notifications!

Also, the scrolly top bar is cool, but I'd like to second Kyll on the option to turn it off. Between that and the chat bar, those of us with tiny laptops are rapidly losing screen space.
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:19 pm
LadySpark says...

Yay!

Will we still have updates for profile comments eventually? And is there anyway to unsubscribe to a notification on a forum? I have notifications on forums I don't use, and it's a tad bit annoying. If not, that's perfectly okay though!
Thanks Nate!
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:11 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

A slight problem with notifications is that they appear for every single thread you've participated on. Including things like asking for a review in WRFF (Ie- I said I had one new request on Kitty's thread, when I requested a review there years ago) and any Randomness threads you've participated in. It makes for a lot of notifications.

Edit- Interestingly, this doesn't apply to Writing Activities. No notifications from threads I've participated in there.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:33 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Cadi ->> Good point. I'll work on something to make it so that people can disable the scrolling header sooner rather than later. Thanks for bringing that up.

Sparkofdoubt ->> Yep, notifications will be implemented for profiles as well.

Rosey ->> Not a bug, a feature! But I definitely see your point about WRFF threads. I'll go ahead and turn it off for that particular issue, but I want to keep it that way for most forums in order to encourage more discussion.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:33 pm
LadySpark says...

xD I have another question.... Will we eventually be able to clear our notifications?
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:02 pm
Payne says...

I second that question. It keeps showing that I have 1 new notification, but when I go to check I can't tell what the notification is for, because there are so many old ones there (aside from that, it's awesome to have notifications back!)
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:56 am
View Likes
Kale says...

The one feature I'd really, really love to have working is the jumping to unread posts. Right now, it only brings you to the page the first unread post is on, and in topics where there are a lot of really long posts (like Storybooks and the Debate forum), it takes time to find the post where you left off.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

425 Reviews

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:07 pm
Nate says...

Yeah, notifications are acting a bit weird right now. Not really sure why, but I've been getting "phantom" notifications as well.

Kyllorac ->> Definitely. I'll add that back in later tonight.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:17 pm
Rosendorn says...

I'm not sure they're "phantom" so much as the number if buried in the list. The new notifications don't go up top. We had the same problems under the old system for SBs. New notifications for them didn't put the SB that got posted on at the top.

Although, that seems to have fixed itself? I don't think I've been logged on enough to tell, though.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

425 Reviews

Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:43 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Heh, I'm finding notifications to be more aggravating than helpful right now. So, I'll fix those up probably tomorrow.

Right now, I'm working on something somewhat big; not huge, but significant. Moving forward, this is what I'll be working on:

- Notifications
- Following
- Edit button for reviews
- Custom literary searches (0/1 review)
- Better profiles
- Fix some errors with search
- Add search for literary works
- Fix some errors with submitting new literary works
- Add in 500 point cost for new storybooks

Keep in mind that the above is not in order, or even complete.

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:36 pm
Gladius says...

Oh my gosh, Nate! I love what you're doing with the site! I literally just discovered the new "FB-like" chat feature about two minutes ago when a fellow user pounced on me (metaphorically speaking lol!). I love it! Keep up the awesome work! :D
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

I'm also ZeldaMoogle on Fanfiction.net!

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:45 am
DevanEWilliams says...

I'm not sure if someone's mentioned this already, but I just got a notification from my own comment. I commented on a review that someone made on my post (which I didn't receive a notification for), and when I left a comment it showed up in my notifications that "DevanEWilliams left a comment" or something like that.
Stay away from limbo bears.
And always have extra marshmallows on hand in case of emergencies.

High Quality Reviews Available Here! viewtopic.php?f=188&t=96280

425 Reviews

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:25 am
View Likes
Nate says...

It is by no means perfect, but there is a front page now.

it's ok, death by laughter was always how i've wanted to go out
— Carina