z

Young Writers Society

A Possible Big Change To Stories & Poems

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:13 pm
Emerson says...

It wouldn't destroy its self... I think you would still have older members who understand and respect the system posting. And even if no one ever posted a single story after the change over, there would still be a lot of stories to critique from before!

Not as many doesn't make no one, to put it simply.

Haha, and please don't mind my constant interjections into this. I'm horrendously "for" it and so I wish to sway everyone else and drag them, kicking, to my side.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:09 pm
Alice says...

I like this idea, I find it a little rash, but I like it, I myself don't crit a lot (shame shame Alice I know I know.) and when I do I'm usually going after a lot of other people so I don't repete what they've said, hence, my crits aren't the best.

I don't see this as an instant soloution, because it will eventually destroy itself. Soon those who are posting will run out of points, or things to post, and will start critiquing and eventually the things to critique will run out and YWS will end as we know it.

What I'm trying to say (as politely as possible) is maybe make this a third resort instead of whatever this is.

Maybe we could try making it part of the sign up process to read the rules and then find some way to put them on the home page, and the welcome email that's automaticly sent out could include that rule.

I'm just trying to say is that before we confuse everybody, lets just try to get the rules more attention, and then if that doesn't work (I'm completely clueless when it comes to this stuff so don't get mad at me if its been said and proved impossible) see if we can make it impossible to post on anything until you've done two critiques in that form, and make sure you keep up on the 2:1 ratio?

Thats just my thoughts on the matter, its a good idea all in all, but a little confusing and rash.
I just lost the game.

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:13 pm
Trident says...

Soon those who are posting will run out of points, or things to post, and will start critiquing and eventually the things to critique will run out and YWS will end as we know it.

We would only be so lucky...except for the part about YWS ending. I don't foresee anyone running out of things to critique. I believe the points reset after a while, so unless you wish to post more than a few pieces in that time, there should be no problem.
Perception is everything.

2058 Reviews

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:39 pm
Emerson says...

Yes, if you waited a week or so, you would get 300 points again. Tah-da, so to speak.

Maybe we could try making it part of the sign up process to read the rules and then find some way to put them on the home page, and the welcome email that's automaticly sent out could include that rule.

No matter how many places we put the rules, there will still be people who don't read them, or don't follow them. ^_^

Perhaps through all the debating we can come up with a better attempt, but I still fully support this idea, despite the uproar.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:55 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

In any case, is it not better to at least try it out before we come to any definite conclusions? After all, the worst that can happen is nothing. If that's the case, then we just find a different way of dealing with the problem. I, like Suz, am still in support of the idea, despite the controversy it seems to have ignited.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:22 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Wow, so many people seem so "doom and gloom" about this whole thing! If this is all it takes to topple YWS (and I really don't think we're going to topple) then we weren't much of a writing site to begin with, were we? I'm all for it! Onwards and upwards! [/ect.]
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:14 pm
Alainna says...

I'm kind of indifferent but what I will say is that I'm trying to make sure that new members are informed of the 'only post your own after you've critiqued two' rule when they are in the welcome forum/ when they inquire about anything.

If others are encouraged to politely remind new members of this then I don't see why the current system even needs to change.

Also, I'm a bit confused (trust me to be...) does this mean that even if your crit to post ratio is like 140 to 15, if you post something when the points have been changed to 300, you must first do two crits?

Alainna
xx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

2058 Reviews

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:27 pm
Emerson says...

Also, I'm a bit confused (trust me to be...) does this mean that even if your crit to post ratio is like 140 to 15, if you post something when the points have been changed to 300, you must first do two crits?

No... not really. You get three "freebies" but from there you would have 0 points, and so if you wanted to post something in the lit forum, you would have to critique, and it would take you two critiques to then post another work... so if you don't post anything for a while, you can still post something because you have 300, and if you do a lot of critiques, you could post a lot of things all at once. Of course, that is looked down upon. ^_^ I hope my explanation cleared things up, although I am not entirely sure that it did...

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:40 pm
Nate says...

Don't worry Alianna. It seems confusing, but once it's implement, it should be easy to understand. After all, when you start getting a message saying "You need 150 points to make that post," then you know you just need to get 150 points.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:49 am
bubblewrapped says...

Personally I'm all for it. There could be problems, most significantly with spam reviews (there's already been an increase in these after the 25 point chat restriction was implemented), so it might be wise to trial it for a month or something first. Otherwise it seems like a good plan.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:01 am
chocoholic says...

I thought it was a terrible idea at the start, but now I'm warming up to it. I only post one thing a week on average, f anything.

Just a question, would this effect Storybooks? People would probably stop posting there if it cost 150 points per post.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

2058 Reviews

Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:16 am
Emerson says...

People would probably stop posting there if it cost 150 points per post.

It would only cost 150 to start a thread.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:47 am
JabberHut says...

From what I understand, SBs are not in the literary forums. Therefore, it doesn't even apply? I could be wrong (I don't visit the SBs).

Anyway, back to a topic I understand better. :lol: This is a very good idea, Nate. It's definitely worth a shot. Having to pay 100 points to start a new thread is probably a keeper. Sure, we want people to post things so others can critique. However, this may also slow down the pace of new posts appearing. In other words, people may have a better chance at getting critiques for their stories because there wouldn't be as much as there is now.

Try it, Nate, for a month or so. See what happens. I've never visited other writing sites, so I can't compare. However, I do acknowledge the fact that this site has a good 'government' so to speak. It's run fairly well and, just like government, it keeps changing to fit the newer society. It's part of a leader's job, to think up new ideas. :D

Well, I better stop jabbering since I (hopefully) got my point across. If not, I put my two cents in. :P

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:57 am
Loose says...

Wow, that's really complicated, Nate. Be careful some people won't lynch you for it.

And Jab, Sbs are in the literary forum.

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:09 am
PenguinAttack says...

Le Penguin approves completely. I like the idea and hope it gets implimented soonishness.

^^

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
— Romans 9:25