z

Young Writers Society

Introducing Account Verification (defunct)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:12 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Second Update
This did not work well, so it has been ended.

Update
There have been a lot of problematic reports. In response, you may try filling out the verification form again if you have already done so.

This started it as a joke suggestion by @Hattable, but account verification is something I've been interested in doing for quite some time. Obviously, the Young Writers Society cannot ask users to submit their identification documents, so verification is a little bit different. Instead of verifying your identity, YWS' verification system will just verify that you're not an imposter.

Imposters are actually a big problem for us. Due to differences in character encoding, you can sign up using someone else's username as long as you use a different alphabet. A few years ago, this was a big problem that Google tried to addresses as scammers were sending out phishing emails with domains that looked like actual organizations.

So to combat spam and misinformation, I am proud to introduce account verification! When your account is verified, a blue checkmark will appear next to your username.

Note, for the time being, this is only active in the People tab! It will be extended to other areas of the site soon.

Click here to get verified!

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:24 pm
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

Great, but I would feel much more important if you charged me a non-trivial amount of money and called it YWS Prime.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425

it's ok, death by laughter was always how i've wanted to go out
— Carina