z

Young Writers Society

Report a site bug

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:32 pm
Zolen says...

@AriaAdams Given it has added more to the number while I am offline, and sometimes while I am doing nothing but stumbling around the site, seeing it jump up by two for no reason. It does not seem to be adding up based on anything special I am doing comments wise.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:38 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Sorry everyone for being incommunicado for more than a week!

@Zolen, there can be a difference in review counts for a number of reasons. In this case, the review count displayed alongside your avatar is showing the number of reviews you've done in both the Literary area and in Art / Photography. On the other hand, when you check out the Reviews tab, it's showing only your literary reviews. It is somewhat confusing, but I hope that clears up the discrepancy for you!

Regarding review counts in general: For newer users, the review counts they see on the all-time leaderboards, next to their avatar, and in the reviews tab should all be the same (unless you're active in Art / Photography, in which case see above). For older users, though, it's very likely the count displayed in the all-time leaderboards and in their reviews tab will be different from the count shown alongside their avatar.

This is on account of how reviews have been counted differently over time. Initially, any comment (no matter how short and whether or not you were the author) to a literary work was counted as a review. Of course, that's changed quite a bit, with the biggest changes happening only with the introduction of YWS Apollo in 2012.

Since the counts shown in the all-time leaderboards and on the reviews tab are dynamic, they are reflective of what an older member's review count would be if the same standard applied today was applied years ago. On the other hand, the count shown next to your avatar is hard-coded. The only way it changes is if it's manually changed.

tldr; Tougher standards are applied these days to reviews, rendering many reviews done in the past as mere literary comments!

@FatCowsSis, are you still having issues with the Publishing Center? I've tested the Publishing Center with IE 11 and didn't run into any issues like you described. It's possible, though, that there may be a plugin interfering with it.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:00 pm
Rosendorn says...

I am getting a virus alert, apparently for an ad. Here's the popup message Avast keeps showing me:

Infection: URL:Mal
URL: http://cnd.bluebanddigital.com/minto/pa ... 0949928182
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

425 Reviews

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:02 am
Nate says...

Thanks Rosey. I've blocked the advertiser.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:42 pm
lostthought says...

This happened. For some reason it has it two or three times even though it was one response. 0-o Any idea what's wrong?
Attachments
image.jpg
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:02 pm
FatCowsSis says...

@Nate it still isn't working....:/
What do you call a cow with no legs?
Spoiler! :
Ground Beef

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:02 pm
Rosendorn says...

Avast's detected another one. I'll give all of them, this time (I usually get five at once, all of them URL:Mal)

http://cnd.bluebanddigital.com/crossdomain.xml
http://cnd.bluebanddigital.com/minto/pa ... 1093895087
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:36 pm
ongoeslife says...

When I use Firefox on my laptop, the chat bar won't pop up. If someone messages me, the tab will flash "New Message", but I can't figure out how to access it. If I switch to Internet Explorer, it pops up as soon as I log in. (I have to figure out who messaged me, though...)

I guess something must be wrong only with my computer, though, because chat works when I use Firefox on any other computer.

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:24 am
Rook says...

This happened yesterday and today, just a few minutes ago.
I was in chat, and chat was pretty full both times, and suddenly chat froze (this happened to everyone), and so I went back to YWS and it wouldn't load. Like, the main site wouldn't load. It only stayed down for about a minute then everything was fine. It wasn't just on main chat though, someone I was chatting with on the chat bar said that it went down for him too.
I switched to several browsers too, if that matters.

The message that came up when I was trying to load it was that it was "unavailable" then it offered me a chance to go to a "cached site" or something and that seemed to load (this is that btw http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... /index.php )
but yeah. it was only down for a few moments, but that was still enough to scare me.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

425 Reviews

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:42 am
Nate says...

@ongoeslife ->> Check to see if zoom is set to the default setting on your browser. Click "View" (on Windows 7 and Windows 8, you have to press "alt" first), then select zoom, and then click reset:

For some reason, the chat bar doesn't work unless zoom is set to the default, and that may or may not be the issue you're coming across.

@fortis ->> It sounds like there was either a temporary network outage, or the server ran out of memory. Probably nothing to worry about though.

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:59 am
Rook says...

Okay ^^ It just worried me that it happened twice in a 24-hour period. I'll tell you if it happens again though.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:10 pm
ongoeslife says...

Nope, it didn't work. But that's me, ever the problem child. :P

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:16 pm
Auxiira says...

I keep getting a random pop-up virus ad. I haven't managed to catch the link, because it bounces off to another site (quite often a game site), but when I can, I'll post it. For now, I've switched on ad-block... >.>
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:13 pm
Auxiira says...

Hmmm, I can't post on Fortis's wall... I've tried twice.

Chrome, Windows 6
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

425 Reviews

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:47 pm
Nate says...

One of the problems with the chat-bar is that it's now two years old, and is probably not compatible with the way some browsers may be configured. I'll check into updating it this weekend.

@Auxiira and @fortis ->> If I recall correctly, this isn't the first time it's happened on fortis' wall, which causes me to wonder just what exactly fortis is doing...!

Kidding aside, can you post on other walls, Auxiira?

Some call me a legacy, others call me a hero. But I assure you, dear admirers, I am only human.
— Persistence