z

Young Writers Society

Report a site bug

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:30 am
ItsCharley says...

I'm having trouble with my chat bar, its not visible to me at all, it started about 2 or 3 hours ago? I don't know what to do if you could help me?

~ Charley

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:41 am
View Likes
EnigmaticSpirit says...

@ItsCharley you need to write at least five reviews before you can gain access to the chat bar.
Words cut deeper than knives.

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:53 am
ItsCharley says...

Oh really? I'm sorry I didn't know that... haha awkward..thankyou anyway! :D xx
~ Charley

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:54 am
EnigmaticSpirit says...

Any time.
Words cut deeper than knives.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:38 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

Hey Nate, I don't mean to bug you, because I know you're busy, but could you perhaps take a look at the Publishing center and see if you can fix this Paste issue I'm having? I like to write up works in my Notes app on my iPhone and paste it in the submission box; it's so much easier for me than to type it up in the Publishing center itself. It won't let me paste for some reason, and I do believe other iOS users may be having the same problem, or maybe just mobile users as a whole.

I'd really appreciate it if you could have a look in your spare time. I have this story I'm itching to post.

Thank you! :)
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:10 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Ignorance ->> I'm currently working on a fix to many of the bugs with the Publishing Center. In the meantime, I apologize for the hassle.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:45 am
221B says...

Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome.
Time: The problem occurred a few days ago.
Description: I accidentally unpublished something while trying to edit it in the publishing center and do not have the ability to publish it again. I can edit and save it, but nothing else. It shows up as a draft in the Publishing Center.
Operating System: Windows 8.

425 Reviews

Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:52 am
View Likes
Nate says...

@221B ->> Is it possible you could provide a screenshot of the page in question? It sounds like the work isn't actually in draft status, but something else may be going on.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:34 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

Hey Nate!
iPod Touch 4, Safari, from around 2pm GMT time.
The cumulative notifications for comments on people's walls has started again. I placed a comment on thewritersdream's wall, and got a notification for every time she replied, but then every time I added a comment, it would add another notification. It's the same as what happened on veer's wall a while back.
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:48 pm
Caesar says...

I've been having the same problem. Same as Ax, iPod and everything.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:20 pm
View Likes
Cole says...

Anyone feel really bad for Nate for having to deal with all this? Nate, we all really appreciate you.

67 Reviews

Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:24 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

We do! We love you Nate!

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

425 Reviews

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:56 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

It's all good :)

Unfortunately, the bug regarding duplicate notifications on comments is not easily fixed.

There are two ways to solve the issue. The first way is the easy way, and it'd involve only a few minor changes to the code. Unfortunately, those few changes would significantly increase how much CPU power the notifications system uses; so much so that when I tested it sometime ago, it crashed the server. That was on an older, less powerful server than the one YWS uses now, but it'd still be a bad idea to use it.

The hard way, though, would actually decrease the strain on the server as it'd involve optimizing the code and the database. What it would specifically involve is letting the database know that each notification is supposed to be unique. That way, if one notification is a duplicate, then it's simply ignored. For the database, the modifications required to this are very minor. For the code, though, it's very extensive. I'd have to go through seven files and rewrite & test each of the current 30 notifications that you can receive.Eventually, that code rewrite will be absolutely necessary. For now, though, it's just a very good idea.

So all this is a long-winded way of saying that the duplicate notifications bug will be fixed, but it's not a high priority just yet. Later this month, I'll be finishing up with a big update that I've been working on since May, and I'll have time to solve this bug and others after that update is done.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:11 pm
221B says...

@Nate

This is what I'm seeing:

67 Reviews

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:15 am
Auxiira says...

Okay, Nate! The duplicate notifications isn't that annoying anyway, until it gets to the scale of Veer's wall! ^^

I am just curious-have I ever been on the bottom quote-thingy?
— foxmaster