z

Young Writers Society

One Big Change to the Front Page (and other smaller ones)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu May 13, 2010 11:22 pm
Nate says...

Well, just got done re-designing the front page. One big change has been made as well as a slew of other changes.

The Big Change to New Literary Works
The New Literary Works area has now been updated such that you can narrow the works displayed to just your works by your YWS friends, or to just your own works. This should make it a lot easier to keep up with your friends literary items.

Also, when displaying your own works, they're in order of the last comment made. That means the work with the most recent review will always show up first. Of course, if you just made a new work, then it'll be displayed first.

No Official Poll
Thought I'd bring this up since I recently said I wanted to get rid of the statistics block in favor of bringing back the official poll to the front page.

Well, I tried it and it looked terrible. I mean, just God-awful. So, I had to axe it.

Featured Works Just Got More Featurey
The Featured Works now take up a much bigger space on the front page, and should look a lot cleaner.

Announcement & Leaderboards
Added an announcement block to the front page, and gave the leaderboards a little more importance.

If You're Not Logged In
If you're not logged in, you'll notice that instead of Leaderboards and Announcment, there's "Who We Are" and "Join YWS". This design change should increase the number of user registrations while making it clearer to visitors what YWS is all about.

286 Reviews

Reviews: 286
Thu May 13, 2010 11:25 pm
View Likes
silented1 says...

=o fancy. Psychology to make peoples join! Smart. Lol.
Last edited by silented1 on Fri May 14, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote]If it's arguable, then it probably is." - Xeriana X

Link to my will review for food thread: topic71713.html

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Fri May 14, 2010 3:00 am
captain.classy says...

I like the new Literary Works deal. It sounds fun!

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri May 14, 2010 4:14 am
Emerson says...

I love that I can view leaderboards from the front. :D I also love the change to the non-signed in version! I bet that'll really grab us members.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Fri May 14, 2010 1:58 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

Nate wrote:The New Literary Works area has now been updated such that you can narrow the works displayed to just your works by your YWS friends, or to just your own works. This should make it a lot easier to keep up with your friends literary items.

I don't see anything...What are you talking about? Maybe I'm missing something.
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Fri May 14, 2010 2:19 pm
Evi says...

Knightley--

On the front page, scroll down to the black and white block under staff picks and to the left of the YWS Facebook thing. It says "New Literary Works" at the top, and right under that title now we have the option to sort the new works by different options, like friends' works, your works, works with 1 comment, and works with 0 comments.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Fri May 14, 2010 3:08 pm
Ruth says...

I knew it! I knew I wasn't imagining things.

I love it. The newbie psychology is genius, too. :D
"Ruth.
She's alive because she is not dead,
and junk."
~JoJo

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri May 14, 2010 3:16 pm
Rosendorn says...

I love all the ways you can sort works on the front page! :D It makes looking for works with 0 and 1 reviews so much easier.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Fri May 14, 2010 5:22 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

xD Thanks Evi. I was looking at Recent additions>>All recent additions, not the front page. With that said, it looks awesome! Now I just need some more friends to put this feature to use... -_-
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.
— Albus Dumbledore