wondered how it'd feel to become a figment of one's lonely
imagination-- traced the creases of his hands and
supposed it had already been done.

92 Reviews

Reviews: 92
Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:21 pm
View Likes
anna91423 says...

Wow, this is amazing... The way the lines are all a bit disconnected totally emphasizes the topic of the poem. Really beautiful. I particularly loved
"wondered how it'd feel to become a figment of one's lonely
supposed it had already been done"
I thought those lines were really insightful and just, sort of, perfect. I loved the use of comas as well because it really forced you to pause and look beyond what was being said.
I know this isn't really very helpful, but I have no criticism!

Loved it, I'm a fan :)
"Books are the ultimate dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they will always love you back." John Green

"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." Stephen Chbosky

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:40 pm
View Likes
talkingbird says...

This is REALLY good. It's like, actually a really beautiful poem. My only thing is that there are a few vague antecedents, and I mean the reader will get it, but it kind of disrupts the flow. Like here:
...it'd feel to become a figment of one's lonely
Even though I know "it" refers to becoming a figment of..., grammatically it would refer to tracing the creases of his hands. But I see that if you repeated the subject twice it would sound to repetitive, but that can be fixed just by changing around the word order. Also, after blue eyes, instead of a dash, I would use a colon, but I guess it doesn't really matter.
Another thing is that your lines aren't parallel, you need to either separate different verb tenses with a new subject, make them in the same form, or keep the same pattern going (I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I know it's not parallel). Here:
...appearing and disappearing and just as quietly
wondered...
It should be ...and just as quietly, *I* wondered... or ...appearing and disappearing, just as quietly wondering....

And this part (I think this also has to do with parallelism because of something to do with the next part 'and how I', but I'm not really sure. I think it's just an incomplete sentence"):
they searched mine, didn't find
Instead of didn't find, I think it should be 'finding little except' or 'not finding much'.
The fact that it's one giant sentence makes it kind of tricky, so I think that's the problem.

OK-- besides all that, this is an EXCELLENT poem. I mean, the grammar doesn't (sort of) change the meaning or the way you showed the emotion, which is the most important part. It's really insightful and unique. The way you kind of described everything in regard of the reflections in his eye was really amazing and different.
this part is my favorite:
Woke up one morning to watch the fog hang over
the river, appearing and disappearing and just as quietly
wondered how it'd feel to become a figment of one's lonely

I absolutely LOVED this
"I am still so naive;
I know pretty much what I like and dislike;
But please, don't ask me who I am. A passionate, fragmentary girl, maybe?

-Sylvia Plath

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:12 pm
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Hiya!

I like your work very much! :)

The narration and explanation is very well written which makes it such a great poem. The verse seems a little far with each other, but you kept them in tact by breaking them apart. Good work!

Hoping for your best,
Al
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

Go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here.
— Neil Gaiman