Who we really, truly are.
It's as if we're somehow scared,
Of not quite reaching par.

I know that I seem confident,
But honestly, I'm scared.
The judgemental eyes of everyone,
Strike fear into my head.
And I wonder if they'll like me,
Or think I'm not smart or funny or caring.
I find it hard to be myself.
With society's relentless voice blaring.

But we can never be different,
Unless we are confident deep within.
And I will never be different,
For I so long to fit in.
And that boy with the nervous tick,
Sits alone during lunch.
And that kid who likes science,
Still gets his daily punch.
Last edited by AngusMacdonald on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
We are the Music-makers. And we are the dreamers of dreams.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:36 am
Shinrai says...

I like the idea but I'm not really sure I like the delivery but that could just be personal preference although i do think you made one mistake here.

But we can never be different,
Unless we are confident deep within.
And I will never be different,
For I so long to fit in.
And they boy with the nervous tick,
Sits alone during lunch.
And that kid who likes science,
Still gets his daily punch.

I think you had intended to put "And that boy with the nervous tick, "

Other than that I can't really find any problems with it
Shinrai (Japanese) means reliance, faith, trust, and confidence which are things that I hold value in and I strive to be reliable, faithful to God and the people I'm around, trustworthy, and confident so if you were wondering what my name means I hope this explains everything

532 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 532
Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:15 pm
GeeLyria says...

Oh wow!

Hi there, AngusMacdonald!

Awesome job, kid! I like your poem, it has potential. But I have the feeling that the second and third stanza are by far better than the first one. And that should not happen, if the reader doesn't like the first stanza he'll just stop reader and he'll miss the awesomeness of the other ones. D:

So here's what I suggest: Add more beauty to your first stanza. You could either add a metaphor or mend a simple word and transform it into something someone should analyze to get the meaning. Like for example: darkness = lack of light. That would make your opening way more interesting and you'd be more appreciated as the great writer that you are.

Keep it up!

~Solly<3
Noob is a state of being, not a length of time. ~Ego

"Serás del tamaño de tus pensamientos; no te permitas fracasar."

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:41 pm
craz33me says...

Oh my gosh, that is one of the best poems I've read on here. I think it was great and it left me speechless.

I have nothing to correct you on or anything. So I'm just gonna compliment and leave, haha.

Congrats, it's great!
Keep it up, please!
I would like to read more of your work.
Sincerely,
Ciara<3
"Love is a lot like playing the piano, at first you play by the rules, but eventually you begin to play by the heart."

Follow me on Twitter!
http://www.twitter.com/craz33me
Skype me! Geek33pikachu

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:50 pm
murtuza says...

Hi Angus!

This is a brilliant piece and I share your sentiments as well. People yearn to be accepted and liberated of their uniqueness that makes them different from the rest. Fitting in and being accepted is the main objective and that gets in the way of being an individual self with one's own dreams and interests and aspirations. Fear of society's judgements towards the way we live and worrying about what friends may think forces us to cower down and sometimes even put on a mask and pretend to be something we are not.

The presentation was neat and with the three stanzas laid out in a simplistic style, gives the poem a great feel. The rhyme was very good and though it mostly, according to me, subtle, it still made an impression of the entire poem and added to the message. For me this piece is fine the way it is and doesn't need any re-doing. All the words fit nicely and the language does not make it tedious for the mind to digest.

Overall, an A+ with the added merit of great context and subject. I'm glad you've shared your thoughts. Keep the ink flowing, my friend!

Murtuza
:)
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

And you have to flaunt the weird, my friends.
— Alex Fierro