z

Young Writers Society

An endless dream

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:20 pm
Writerchick says...

I just kind of started writing and this is what happened, I think it needs a little more of something but I’m not sure what. Some help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I dream and dream, I know nothing but dreams.

I’m floating on a raft, in an ocean, weightless and free. The sky is so vast and magnificent it almost brings tears to my eyes. I can hear sea gulls in the distance happily squawking, perhaps at the discovery of new day’s meal. There is an island nearby. Looking pitifully insignificant compared to the ocean.

There is a single tree on it like one might see in children’s story book.
Aqua-colored waves crash on its shore creating cream colored foam. An ocean breeze wafts past swirling the sand on the island through the wispy air and unsettling the leaves on the tree .A sweet melody plays in the distance reminding me of graceful and weightless ballerina dancing around in a studio.

The sun is at its highest filling the air with a soothing warm glow. The ocean is calm and docile like a sleeping child. I look down at the shimmering transparent blue. The girl staring back seems like a stranger. Her hair is long and dark almost black, her face is slim and her skin is implausibly clear. Her eyes are bright and the color of the ocean. I decide that I am beautiful and perhaps between the ages of fourteen and sixteen. I sit upright and listen to the beautiful music in the distance. Notes form from nothingness and swirl around my head. I am giddy with joy, I think I feel more at peace and happy than I have for a long time.

Enormous flowers of bright reds and yellow bloom in the sky, I laugh because this is impossible I cry because it is beautiful. Butterfly’s with colors I’d never knew existed fly over my head, thousands of them. I am weeping now, overcome by sheer joy and happiness.

I float and float on my fairytale ocean.

Then I remember. It hits me like a tidal wave. My fantasy is destroyed and replaced by cruel reality. I feel sick to the pit of my stomach. My happiness rushes out of my body just as fast as it had appeared.
I remember who I am and what I must do.
I am a dreamer, my reality is a dream.

I will the raft to float towards the island. Suddenly remembering everything, suddenly my fairytale world doesn’t seem so beautiful anymore, the beauty washed away by repetitiveness.

I finally reach the island and walk of the raft, the sand is white and smooth to the touch. It’s an all too familiar feeling. The single tree on the island is suddenly huge now ,its branches reaching towards the sky and seemingly extending on forever, I walk toward the tree , like I have so many times before. Its branches are a rich dark brown and its leaves a light green. A man appears. Old and withered with age, he has long white hair and an equally long beard. He is dressed in a tattered grey robe held together by a rope tied around his waist.

“Hello Celia.” he says his voice frail and weak
“Hello Mathew.” I say smiling at him

I walk over and embrace him.
“How is reality?’” I ask sitting down

“It seems you never grow tiered of that question, it is boring as always much less interesting than your world here.” he has trouble sitting down so I stand up and help him sit.

“And yet I would do anything to go there.” I say, the reality of my situation weighing down on me.

“Surely there’s away out Celia, I’m sure if you keep trying…..”

“ there is no way out , I have been stuck here for a very long time more than a thousand of your lives put together maybe even since the beginning of time!” I shout and I hate myself for it afterwards

“I’m sorry Mathew I didn’t mean to…”

“ It’s okay….” He says sincerity in his eyes.

“Celia I fear this will be the last time I dream of you, possibly the last time I’ll ever dream.”

I nod. This was inevitable. All the boys who dream of me grow old and die to be replaced by the next and the next….

Tears start flowing down my face and I’m weeping again not for happiness this time but for sorrow. I weep for all the boys I’ve watched wither and die, while I stay young and unchanged.
I fall into his arms
“I don’t want you to die, don’t leave me take me with you!” I say clinging to him like a child would to its mother

His old hand rests on my head and he embraces me as hard as his old bones can manage.
“Shhhh it’s okay, you’ll be just fine without me and one day you’ll escape I promise.”

He says and I want to believe him with all my heart. I want to believe that I will someday escape my prison.

“I have to go.” He says and I cling to him even harder.
“You only just got here. Just a while longer, please.” I plead

He kisses my forehead and I feel him slipping away like so many of the others did. His body glistens and then disappears like he was never even there. I get up, wipe my face and walk towards the ocean.

I push my raft into the ocean and climb on, waiting for the next boy to come to me.To wither and then die.
Alex: I didn't set fire to the building.

Ash: No, but you did pull it into the river.

Alex: That put the fire out!

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:53 pm
KiroSevin says...

Writerchick wrote:Enormous flowers of bright reds and yellow bloom in the sky, I laugh because this is impossible I cry because it is beautiful. Butterfly’s with colors I’d never knew existed fly over my head, thousands of them. I am weeping now, overcome by sheer joy and happiness.

Then I remember. It hits me like a tidal wave. My fantasy is destroyed and replaced by cruel reality. I feel sick to the pit of my stomach. My happiness rushes out of my body just as fast as it had appeared.

This part is too sudden a change. I think it needs more transition lines (or line, depending on how you write it). Perhaps something along the lines of "Despite the beauty, there was something inevitable hanging in the back of my mind..." and continue from something like that.

As for the rest, concept-wise, this is very interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing where this goes :wink:
I like all the description that you've put into it. The colors and the details (which are just right, not too many, not too few) paint a clear and vivid picture in my mind.

Writerchick wrote:Butterfly’s with colors I’d never knew existed fly over my head, thousands of them.

This gives me the sensation that it is a dream! I like it!

Since this is more or less a rough draft, I wouldn't bother going over grammar. This has a lot of potential to become a really good story if you want to add more. ^_^
-K7
"You can judge a nation by the way it treats its animals."-Gandhi
"War is what happens when language fails."-Margaret Atwood
"The true meaning of life is to plant trees under whose shade you do not expect to sit."-Nelson Henderson

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:31 pm
deelish says...

Your short story, "An endless dream" was riveting. You lured me into Cecilia's never-ending dream world...not missing one detail of the ocean, the waves, the island, the old man, and her miserable life. If you were to continue the story, you should definitely explain how the boys end up on Cecilia's dream island and what happens once they 'wither and die'. I noted that your short story has an air of mystery to it, you make the reader ask many questions. You should get around to answering the questions eventually (if you're going to continue the story). I would also work on the beginning where you wrote: "I know nothing but dreams, endless dreams" or however you wrote it.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:08 pm
Mickeystwin33 says...

Your story was great. It drew me in, and I could not look away. You are an amazing writer, and almost made me cry at the end. I didn't see anything wrong with you story, it made me feel as if I were in her shoes. Thank you for allowing me to take that journey.
I may not be the brightest crayon in the box. I might not be the prettiest, shiniest or favorite. I might not be anything to anyone, but yet I'm still in the box.

There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in. - Chris Colfer

I love you all, and thank you for reading my posts

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:36 am
Remrock says...

Hi there Writerchick! I'm going to review this for you.

A quick note before I begin. You have a lot of grammar mistakes. There are lots of posts somewhere around YWS that helps with those kinds of things. Please, read them. I'm not going to point out any grammar mistakes, because you can easily learn grammar by yourself. (:

Aqua-colored waves crash on its shore creating cream colored foam.

Personally, I think you should omit '-colored' because I think it kind of stops the flow. I think 'Aqua waves' would let it flow better, and the reader would still understand.

A sweet melody plays in the distance reminding me of graceful and weightless ballerina dancing around in a studio.

Hmm... I think 'dancing' is kind of boring for such a... interesting piece. Maybe try 'swirling' or 'twirling.' These are only suggestions. (:

Butterfly’s with colors I’d never knew existed fly over my head, thousands of them

This could easily confuse a reader. I think it's really good, but it could use some rewording. A reader could mistake this for a thousand heads instead of a thousand butterflys. So, I'd put thousands before butterflys. Thousands of butterflys.

The single tree on the island is suddenly huge now ,its branches reaching towards the sky and seemingly extending on forever, I walk toward the tree , like I have so many times before.

You kind of repeated 'suddenly.' You only used it twice, but even then, I think it's a bit risky! Oh, and before I forget, we already know that it's a single tree on the island, so no need to repeat it. (: I would suggest trying something like, "Before my eyes, the tree grows." That's kinda boring, but I hope you get what I mean here. If not, PM me and I'll try to explain better.

“I don’t want you to die, don’t leave me take me with you!” I say clinging to him like a child would to its mother

Don't leave take me with you. Pretty much, they're the same. I would go with one or the other.

His old hand rests on my head and he embraces me as hard as his old bones can manage.

Like the dancing thing, old is too boring. Your telling us his hand is old. You need to show us. (At least, I think the rule is Show, not tell... but I'm not sure, and if I am wrong, I am so sorry.) Say his hand is wrinkled and frail or it's been yellowed with age or something.

So, this was really interesting! I'd be very interested if you continued this story... I think you did a really good job, minus the grammar errors. And as the others said, this has a lot of potential!

Keep writing,
Rem
"Play on
When you're losing the game
Play on
'Cause you're gonna make mistakes
It's always worth to sacrifice
Even when you think you're wrong
So play on
Play on"

- Carrie Underwood, "Play On"

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:23 pm
Fountainquill says...

Comments in bold.

Writerchick wrote:I just kind of started writing and this is what happened, I think it needs a little more of something but I’m not sure what. Some help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I dream and dream, I know nothing but dreams. Interesting opening line, I like it

I’m floating on a raft, in an ocean, weightless and free. The sky is so vast and magnificent it almost brings tears to my eyes. I can hear sea gulls in the distance happily squawking, perhaps at the discovery of new day’s meal. There is an island nearby. Looking pitifully insignificant compared to the ocean. Good intro, but your sentences are a bit too sort and seem almost fragmented, if you're going for a longer description and really want to paint a setting make the paragraph flow, and don't state like you did in the last two sentences. I like the seagull bit though.

There is a single tree on it comma like one might see in "a"children’s story book.
Aqua-colored waves crash on its shore creating cream colored Too much "coloured" in this sentence, rephrase foam. An ocean breeze wafts past swirling the sand on the island through the wispy air and unsettling the leaves on the tree . SpaceA sweet melody plays in the distance comma reminding me of "a"graceful and weightless ballerina dancing around in a studio. Okay, you desperately need to proof read your work before posting it, there are loads of careless mistakes here you should have gotten rid of.

The sun is at its highest comma filling the air with a soothing warm glow Too many adjectives, don't overdo it. To paint an effective description you need words that will encompass exactly the image in your mind, not a string of words that sort of fit into the scenery. Pick and choose, be specific. The ocean is calm and docile like a sleeping child. I look down at the shimmering transparent blue. The girl staring back seems like a stranger. Her hair is long and dark commaalmost black, her face is slim and her skin is implausibly clear. Her eyes are bright and the color of the ocean. I decide that I am beautiful and perhaps between the ages of fourteen and sixteen. How can she not know her own age? Any chance you could give some background and character development here? I sit upright and listen to the beautiful music in the distance. Notes form from nothingness and swirl around my head. I am giddy with joy, I think I feel more at peace and happy than I have for a long time.

Enormous flowers of bright reds and yellow bloom in the sky, I laugh because this is impossible I cry because it is beautiful. Butterfly’s with colors I’d never knew existed fly over my head, thousands of them. I am weeping now, overcome by sheer joy and happiness.

I remember who I am and what I must do.
I am a dreamer, my reality is a dream.

I will the raft to float towards the island. Suddenly remembering everything, suddenly my fairytale world doesn’t seem so beautiful anymore, the beauty washed away by repetitiveness. What's repeating itself? I don't understand. But I love the transition from happiness to despair you made, good reflection on your protagonist's emotions there. Something more specific about her thoughts would help too, though.

I finally reach the island and walk of "off" the raft, the sand is white and smooth to the touch. It’s an all too familiar feeling. The single tree on the island is suddenly huge now ,its branches reaching towards the sky and seemingly extending on forever, I walk toward the tree , like I have so many times before. Its branches are a rich dark brown and its leaves a light green. A man appears. Old and withered with age, he has long white hair and an equally long beard. He is dressed in a tattered grey robe held together by a rope tied around his waist.

“Hello Celia.” he says his voice frail and weak
“Hello Mathew.” I say smiling at him

I walk over and embrace him.
“How is reality?’” I ask sitting down

“It seems you never grow tiered of that question, it is boring as always much less interesting than your world here.” Rephrase this sentence, makes no sense he has trouble sitting down so I stand up and help him sit.

“And yet I would do anything to go there.” I say, the reality of my situation weighing down on me.

“Surely there’s away out Celia, I’m sure if you keep trying…..”

“ there is no way out , I have been stuck here for a very long time more than a thousand of your lives put together maybe even since the beginning of time!” I shout and I hate myself for it afterwards What happened to grammar? It's there to help both you and your reader, use it!

“I’m sorry Mathew I didn’t mean to…”

“ It’s okay….” He says sincerity in his eyes.

“Celia I fear this will be the last time I dream of you, possibly the last time I’ll ever dream.”

I nod. This was inevitable. All the boys who dream of me grow old and die to be replaced by the next and the next….

Tears start flowing down my face and I’m weeping again not for happiness this time but for sorrow. I weep for all the boys I’ve watched wither and die, while I stay young and unchanged.
I fall into his arms

“Shhhh it’s okay, you’ll be just fine without me and one day you’ll escape I promise.”

He says and I want to believe him with all my heart. I want to believe that I will someday escape my prison.

“I have to go.” He says and I cling to him even harder.
“You only just got here. Just a while longer, please.” I plead

He kisses my forehead and I feel him slipping away like so many of the others did. His body glistens and then disappears like he was never even there. I get up, wipe my face and walk towards the ocean.

I push my raft into the ocean and climb on, waiting for the next boy to come to me.To wither and then die. Sad but effective ending, I like it

I really like the idea and I like your style, it's perfect for this story and the character. but the character needs much more fleshing out, she doesn't stand out half as much as she should do right now. You need to proof read your stuff before posting as well to make sure you're not leaving in silly spelling and grammar mistakes. The imagery in the descriptions is great, but like I said, you can make them come alive and flow better, cut down a bit on the adjectives perhaps because sometimes it feels almost like you're listing them. But overall, I liked it :)

Happy New Year!

~Quilly
Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sand of time

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(A Psalm of Life)

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:12 am
NovemberNovelist says...

That was a really good story. I enjoyed reading it. The imagery was really powerful. I felt like I was actually there in that dreamland. I'd say that the grammar does need some work, as other have pointed out. Watch out for run-on sentences.
I think that this story has a lot of potential. The ending was really sad. I felt really bad for Celia.
All in all, I'd say this is a good first draft. Work on the grammar a little bit, and this story will be great.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:23 am
chasingstars says...

Butterfly’s with colors

should it be Butterflies?
I walk toward the tree , like I have so many times before

like I did?

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:59 am
Bladesmith says...

I will be completely honest. You just made my day. I just finished watching Inception again before i logged on and read this. Dreams! (enough said i think). Other than the minor stuff i see one major thing that needs working on. This is supposed to be a sad story, no? The chain of events, the main idea is awesome. The problem is in the nature of the emotion of pity/sympathy/ empathy. In order to feel those a person must be somehow emotionally connected to the characters. I recommend working in a bit more in the way of back ground for your characters (especially Mathew).

Who are they? What is the nature of her imprisonment and why is she trapped so? What makes Mathew so special to make his death illicit such an emotional response even after she's lost many other boys?

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:34 am
ShadowKnight155 says...

Interesting, the mood was perfect. I feel that the main character doesn't need development. If it is a dream world, she is everything. Enough said on that. The world should be mysterious, and things happen, and they only happen. The reasoning would come from a lust for love?

Missed a period at the end. The other reviewers looked like the covered everything, not that I would know because the stuff didn't stick out to me. :P

Keep writing, expand, perhaps switch view points to someone else? A bold move, but if done right, I think you would have something. Good job.
-ShadowKnight155
By nature, all language is flawed.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding," - Albert Einstein

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:10 am
rainsallthetime says...

Can you tell me how Cecilia got into the dream world? Is it like the movie Inception? I think you should write more about Mathew. Could you continue the story? I think the ending is a bit of a cliffhanger you know...
When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you -Friedrich Nietzsche

Reviews: 4
Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:55 pm
kcglitter says...

I know this is old, but I really want you to put more in the back story. it would make a grate chapter two if you would excplain what broght her there. Oh and i love the detail it's a nice imege, though you could add more to make for a better visual. Tell me when you have anything to continue this.
Love is strong, but there is more to life then to finding the love of your life...like...like...give me a minute...oh I got nothing, but there is...what was I talking about???

Don't be sad bc sad backwards is das and das not good
— LadyMysterio