z

Young Writers Society

The Wolf Who Cried Boy ~Kinsley~

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:29 pm
Kinsley says...

This story started out as a class assignment but I thought it was funny and I liked it so much that I decided to post it.

The Wolf Who Cried Boy

One day a big wolf named Louie was guarding a flock of steaks. He was very lonely and sad. He wanted someone to play with him and keep him company. So as loud as he could he shouted, “Help! A boy is eating the steaks! Come quick!” Moments later the whole wolf pack came. They looked around bewildered.

“Where is the boy?” the leader, Max, asked gruffly. The rest of the pack searched the area and came back to where Louie was. They shook their heads which indicated that they found nothing.

“Oh, thank goodness you came! I was so lonely and bored. I thought no one would come. Now you can keep me company,” Louie said brightly.

“There is no boy? You lied to us! We let a group of meerkats go because of you! Only call in an emergency!” Max yelled furiously, and with that the pack stalked off grumbling to themselves.

The next day Louie was again watching the flock, much to the dismay of the rest of the pack. He was lonely and sad. He wanted someone to play with him and keep him company. He kicked a stone with his paw and tried to decide whether or not to call for his friends. He decided against it and laid down. After a short nap, Louie walked over to the steaks. He looked at them, then looked around.

“I’m all by myself,” he said sadly. “I wish someone could keep me company while I keep watch.” His promise forgotten he yelled, “Help! The steaks! A boy is eating them! Come quick!” Not long after the rest of the pack came running. The pack searched the surrounding area but found nothing. They came back shaking their heads in disgust. Max stalked over to Louie with his shoulders hunched forward. Max pressed his face close to Louie’s.

“Is this another one of your stupid tricks? Because if it is…”

“No! I swear! The boy, he must have, um, run away when I yelled. Yea that’s it. He ran away.” No sooner were the words spoken when Louie’s ears got noticeably bigger. Max jumped back in surprise.

“What happened to your ears? They got bigger!” Max exclaimed. Louie rubbed a paw over his ear. His eyes widened in surprise.

“My ears!” he shouted. The rest of pack doubled over laughing. Then Max turned serious.

“Are you sure you saw someone, Louie?” Max asked. Max looked him straight in the eye daring him to look away. Louie blinked a few times but returned Max’s gaze.

“Positive,” he answered. All of a sudden his ears shot out. Now they were twice their original size. “Oh no!” Louie exclaimed then clamped a paw over his mouth. Max inspected his oversized ears. He grunted then started walking away. He turned his head back to Louie.

“You had better be telling the truth about this boy,” he said threateningly. Then he walked off.

“Oh my gosh! Max must be very mad. I had better just keep watch by myself,” Louie said to himself. “My ears, what could be wrong with them?” Louie wondered. A while later the sky tuned dark and Louie headed to the den for some rest while someone else took over the night watch.

The next day, Louie approached his post. He watched the steaks and tried to entertain himself but to no avail.

“This is so boring,” Louie said to himself. “They are just steaks. We can get more. And besides, if the steaks are gone that will only make the pack believe me.” And with that Louie pushed the steaks to the other side of the field with his snout. He dug a hole large enough to fit all of the steaks inside. He pushed them inside and covered the hole. All of a sudden Louie heard a rustling in the bushes. Max appeared from behind them and stepped forward.

“What are you doing away from your post?” Max asked with a hint of accusation in his voice.

“I was, uh, chasing the boy. He came back again so I chased him away.” Just then Louie’s ears grew about an inch bigger. Max gasped. Then, forgetting Louie’s ears, Max walked closer to Louie.

“You couldn’t have chased him. We would have seen him,” eyeing the lose dirt where the hole once was Max continued. “Have you been here this whole time?” Louie was afraid to speak because he was worried about his ears growing again. He shook his head no. Max stepped even closer to Louie and hunched his shoulders forward. Louie backed up but Max kept creeping closer. “Just what are you up to?” All but a little peep came out of Louie’s mouth.

“Nothing,” he said. His ears got even bigger. Max looked Louie straight in the eye.

“Is there something buried under this loose dirt?” he asked. Louie took too long to answer. “Hey, Ralf, come dig this up,” Max said motioning to a skinny wolf with long claws. Before Ralf came any closer Louie took off running in the other direction. Louie ran as fast as he could but Max was not far behind. All of a sudden Louie heard a loud thud and glanced behind him. Max was lying down on the ground and it looked like he had been hurt. Louie pondered going back for him but decided against it and kept running. A while later he found himself in a dense jungle. He stopped and decided to rest for a while.

“Oh, I’m so thirsty,” he moaned. “I wish I could find something to drink.” As soon as the words were spoken he saw a sprinkling of dust and glitter beside him. A rather old looking fairy dressed in blue appeared.

“Louie?” she asked. “I heard your wish and it seems to me that you are thirsty. I am your fairy Godmother and I am here to grant your wish.” With a flick of her wand three beans suddenly appeared in her hand. “Here are three magic beans,” she said. “Plant them exactly three inches down in the ground, turn around, and close your eyes for exactly three minutes. Remember, your wish lies high in the sky. Goodbye, Louie,” she handed Louie the beans then faded away.

“Whoa!” Louie exclaimed. “I have a fairy Godmother? And what do three magical beans have to do with something to drink?” Louie shrugged his shoulders and dug a hole anyway. He placed the beans inside, buried them, turned around, and closed his eyes. He waited three minutes then turned to face the buried beans. They were gone! Taking their place was a giant beanstalk. It had enormous leaves that looked sturdy enough to hold a man. Louie’s eyes bulged out of his head and his mouth dropped open. For a second he only stared. His mouth and throat were still chalk dry. He remembered fairy Godmother’s words. Your wish lies high in the sky. “What did she mean by that?” Louie wondered. “Maybe she meant that I have to climb to the top.”

After many falls, cuts, and bruises, Louie made it to the top. He crawled out to a long stretch of land. He was panting heavily after the long climb and collapsed in heap on a patch of thick grass. All of a sudden a large vibration came from the ground. Louie jumped to his feet. He felt it again. Then he heard a booming voice shout. “Fee-fi-fo-fum, don’t be defiant. I’m the Gingerbread Giant.”

Louie’s eyes went wide with terror when a huge gingerbread man appeared. He was as tall as the Empire State Building and as wide as an elephant. Louie sprinted in the other direction, away from the giant. He took shelter under some large trees and curled up into a ball. He looked up when he heard a small voice from above. He spotted a woman in the trees.

“Louie, oh Louie, I let my hair down to thee,” she said. A long bundle of hair snaked its way through the trees. It landed at Louie’s feet and the woman looked at Louie expectantly. Using the hair like a rope, Louie scaled the tree, which was very hard to do because he didn’t have thumbs. But at last he made it to the top of the tree. Instead of a bunch of branches there was a huge platform. He looked around. He was surrounded by vending machines! Louie walked up to the soda machine. The woman handed Louie a handful of quarters and walked away. Louie placed them through the slot and pressed the button below the poisoned apple juice.

“Poor Snow White,” Louie muttered. A bottle of water popped out. Louie pulled the cap off and drank the whole bottle. No longer parched, Louie decided it was time to go home and talk to Max so he started the long journey home.

About two days later, Louie arrived at the field where he had buried the steaks. “Oh no!” Louie thought. “The steaks! The pack must be starving!” Louie quickly dug up the steaks and pushed them over to the other side of the field. He yelled for his friends and they came over to him. Although the pack looked a little thinner Max resumed his place as leader and stepped up to Louie.

“What are you doing here?” he growled. He signaled for the rest of the pack to circle Louie. Louie stood in the middle of the circle while Max started pacing around him. “I didn’t think you’d be back.”

“Well I am. I brought the steaks and I hope I can take back my place in the pack,” Louie replied. Max just laughed.

“Do you really think I’m going to let you back in after you lied to us, stole our food, and abandoned the pack?” Max asked. Louie shook his head slowly. Max opened his mouth to say more but Louie cut him off and Max glared at him.

“Look, I know what I did and I know it was wrong but please give me just one chance,” Louie pleaded.

“Why should I? And even if I did, someone needs to be made an example of.”
Louie gulped and looked Max in the eye, “You have my word. I will never pull a stunt like that again.”

“One chance, Louie. That’s it. You got that? One,” he said and walked away.

Louie put that one chance to good use and guarded the steaks day and night over the next few days. He didn’t call for the pack and he was beginning to think that Max had started to forgive him.
About a week later, Louie was again watching the steaks and had begun to doze off when he heard a strange noise. He opened his eyes and lifted his head, sniffing the air. He looked around and when the sound did not repeat he laid his head down. Louie got up to inspect the bushes when he heard a rustling sound. All of a sudden a small boy jumped out of the bushes.

“Help! A wolf! Come quick!” the boy yelled. Louie jump into action. He jumped in front of the steaks and growled.

“Help! A boy! Come quick!” Louie yelled. Louie waited anxiously for the rest of the pack but they did not come. The boy glanced nervously around.

"Apparently, his friends won’t help him either," Louie said aloud. The boy looked at Louie and Louie looked at him. Knowing that neither the humans nor the wolves would come, Louie stuck out his paw for the boy to take. He hoped it would be a sign of peace between the two worlds. The boy took Louie’s paw and shook it firmly in agreement.
To M.J.,

I hope you can forgive me,
Though I'll never forgive myself.
Until again, my friend

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:43 am
writergirl007 says...

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a very rare thing for me to say! It's absolutely fantastic! I love the ending. The title is very fitting as well. Keep up the good work! I'll have to read that again! :D Writergirl
"It is better to save than to destroy, and that justice is most righteous which is tempered by mercy." Mark Twain

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:52 pm
Swires says...

Not really original, you have just substituted boy and wolf...
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:57 pm
Siam says...

HAHA! That was funny. Despite the overuse of fairytales, I loved the originality in it. I'm begining to like your work, Kinsley. Keep writing!

Yours truly,

Siam
"It is better to hope than to despair; To love than to hate;
To question than accept; To be strong than weak;
To do something rather than nothing; To live than to die;
To be free than be bound"
Yours truly, Siam

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:07 am
Kitkat_1122_ says...

One critique I have is that is instead of calling the steaks a "flock of steaks" you should call it something like the "steak storage" because the other way I got confused a little bit if a steak is an animal as well as cow meat. The story idea was pretty funny. :D I haven't read a story like that before.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:46 pm
xtenx says...

I'm going to be honest- I didn't really like it much. It wasn't original, it was just a bunch of fairytales thrown together in a way that has been overdone. Maybe that's what your assignment was though?

It was cute and well written, but there was nothing particularly unique or special about it. For a class assignment it's definitely good though.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:20 am
Kinsley says...

Yes, that was my assignment. I was supposed to take a fairy tale and change it around so that the good guy was the bad guy (ie: How Cindy Lou Stole Christmas). I just decided to go above and beyond. :wink:
To M.J.,

I hope you can forgive me,
Though I'll never forgive myself.
Until again, my friend

Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.
— Neil Gaiman