Young Writers Society

Latent Heritage (AKA The Bearer)

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:49 am
Roaming Shadow says...

Well, here's chapter one for you. I'll see if I can get chapter two by the end of the week. As a whole, I'd say it's a good opener. You focus on the plot and keep description to only what needs to be said. It could perhps use a little more detail, but perhaps your fine here and just spread further setting description over the next chapter.

Your swapping of POV, while I suppose workable, is something I'd change. Per scene, I'd stick with one character's POV. It will allow the reader to attach more deeply and quickly with a character. As it is, though I am leaning towards Danic, I feel that you could just as easily follow Ryden, and at the moment he feels as though he will be a more secondary main character.

You say just enough so I'm not lost, and not so much that I feel bogged down. It gets the point across and the story started, but it seems short for an entire chapter. Perhaps go into just a few more details and a few more personal thoughts to put just a little more substnace in it, as it feels just a tad bare at the moment.

Other than that, there's really nothing I can think of to nag about. I'll get to chapter 2 when I can and see what you do as far as further development of characters and plot goes.
Attachments
Latent_Heritage_-_third_edit_-_chapter_1(Crit).doc
(36.5 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

50 Reviews

Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:27 am
Roaming Shadow says...

Well, I've finally gotten to Chapter 2. Sorry it took so long. Again, it seemed rather short for an entire chapter. I know James Patterson did it sometimes in Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment, but that bothered me. You have two entire chapters in the span of seven pages. That just seems a bit short to me.

That, and for spending the first chapter primarily focused on Danic, I assumed he would be the lead focal character. He barely makes an appearence in this chapter, instead the captain, Ryden, is the primary focal character. Is L'ira going to be the focal POV character eventually, or will she be always seen through the eyes of others. Or, is there no "focal" character, but rather several character to whom you switch to when the scene is appropriate. As it is now, I think I'm going to like where L'ira is headed.

For the rest of my thoughts, you can peruse through the edit.
Attachments
Latent_Heritage_-_third_edit_-_chapter_2(Crit).doc
Critique on Chapter 2
(29.5 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:09 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Hey, I was just wondering if any more chapters are going to be uploaded for critique. I really enjoyed what I read so far and would love to read more.

50 Reviews

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:18 am
Roaming Shadow says...

Hey, got the next two chapters for you. I hope you're finding my critiques helpful, and I'm still interested in where this story goes. Keep at it.
Attachments
Latent_Heritage_-_third_edit_-_chapter_3(Crit).doc
Here's Chapter 3...
(36 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

50 Reviews

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:20 am
Roaming Shadow says...

And here's chapter four for you.
Attachments
Latent_Heritage_-_third_edit_-_chapter_4(Crit).doc
...And here's Chapter 4
(36 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Fri May 15, 2009 3:55 am
View Likes
DustyFreeman says...

Then I find,
I feel this passion grow,
To face all that's been lost,
It's not too late to give control now.
Got YWS?

Never use your shield as a dinner plate, for that is when the enemy is most likely to attack.
— The KotGR Commander