z

Young Writers Society

To Post or Not to Post

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:17 am
cat4prowl says...

Here's the problem:

I have a unique story (not Harry Potter but still) that I have written the first chapter of. So far, I love it but I rely on YWS a frikkin TON. I want to get crits and opinions but then I don't want my idea to get stolen... :?

help?

ANY opinions at all welcome thx

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:23 am
Adnamarine says...

POST!
If you're that worried about somebody stealing your idea, put it somewhere where only the people you want to see it can see it, like your friends. Or just post it and trust us. Either way, other people's crit's are invaluable since we can never be completely objective about our own work. So you should definitely find a way.
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:50 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

^_^ I don't think anyone would steal your idea, they might inspire themselves from it, though (probably not even consciously =P). If you're worried, then mail the idea to yourself. Print what you have, and mail it. When it comes back, it will have a nice fancy official mail stamp on it and if they steal your idea and publish it you can get a lawyer and sue them for stealing your idea.

Or that's how I think it works, anyways. =P
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:58 pm
Emerson says...

People worry about this all the time.

No ones going to steal your ideas, seriously. Not to be insensitive, but at thirteen, I didn't have ideas worth stealing, so you probably don't either.

On the other hand, if you post, your writing will get a lot better. A lot. YWS isn't a place filled with people who steal ideas. In fact, we should all feel insulted that you even accused our site in such a way. (Kidding, of course.)

So, cool off, calm down, and post.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

441 Reviews

Reviews: 441
Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:15 pm
Gwenevire says...

put it up, don't be worried. If someone else uses your ideas we shall hunt 'em down and beat 'em to a pulp :)

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:43 pm
cat4prowl says...

ok then i guess ill post it, thanks everyone! it will probably be in other fiction if you're interested and not on the front page because i know everyone on the web can see that so yeah thanks!

The strongest people are not those who show their true strength in front of us but those who win battles we know nothing about.
— Unknown