z

Young Writers Society

Publishing

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:22 pm
MidnightVampire says...

Ok, I only know of one publishing place Mystic Moon Press. But there its not my genre, or at least since they haven't excepted an of my genre I don't think so. Anyway..... do you know any more publishing companies that would except the money of a 12 year old who wrote a novel with a 13 year old? Right now we're editing and typing like crazy. Also, some press places only except your work if you have an agent..... right? How am I supposed to get an agent?

PS... even though we are already editing it, my friend's mom is an editor and will edit it after we do. So yea, it will be edited many times.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:32 pm
Emerson says...

Well usually a publisher won't "accept money". If your publisher asks for money, get out of there quick. They get profit from sales after they've printed it, and no where before. Same thing with agents; they won't ask you for a readers fee or anything.

I don't believe age is a matter, but you are pretty young. You have to be darn lucky to publish at 12! Another thing is child labor laws--with the YWS lit journal, if you are under 18 and had something published, your parents or legal guardian had to sign the contract as well. So it's real complicated.

You will probably want an agent first. Most publishers will accept nothing from a no-name random person. Agents get read. Although I highly suggest you spend a few years editing! I'm going to spend a few years editing my novel. Publishing a novel takes a long time. Even if the draft you have now is good, hide it for a few months, and see what you think then.

Best of luck!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:24 pm
Rydia says...

I'll just echo Suzanne here and say you should spend some years editing first.

You're unlikely to find anyone who will take you seriously at this age, even if your manuscript is the most amazing piece of literature ever written.

And an agent is practically a must but finding one that is genuine can take some time. My sister and I have seen many suspicious companies so you want to be very cautious and don't give money to anyone.

Good luck, let us know how it goes,

Heather xx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:09 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Don't ever send out your manuscript to a publisher who asks for a fee. Most likely they're just trying to rip you off. An agent is definitely a good way to go. Someone else wrote a thread similar to this called "Agent or publisher?" or something like that. You might want to take a look at that.

Secondly, you are in no hurry. :D While I agree that it would be awesome to have a book published as young as we are, you've got plenty of time. Hang onto it, edit it, let your teachers and your friends and your parents read it CRITICALLY (if you have a friend or a parent who only says, "It's wonderful, you're amazing" find someone else to read). See what you think of your novel after all that. Then try publishing. But you want it to be great; so take the time to make it great!

Hope that helped.

~Sunny
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backwards. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that life's going to launch you into something great, so just focus and keep aiming.
— Unknown