z

Young Writers Society

The Chronicles of Maridemore - complete novel

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:42 pm
dmungrrl says...

So I'm am currently writing a fantasy book series, The Chronicles of Maridemore about this Irish kid named Will O'Shaughnessy (yay for family names!) If you go to my website (actually just my deviantart account) you can see lots of picture from the series... however, I have not posted the story anywhere online because I'm kinda private about it and right now I'm only letting people I know in person read it. It's on my friends' and my personal message board, but it can only be accessed by passwords and stuff. So. Um, yeah, no strangers have read it. :oops:
This is probably a problem, because I'm trying to get it published. However, that's exactly why I don't want to post it anywhere. Because I want to get it published and... yeah.
So currently the complete 252 page manuscript rests on my desk at the moment, waiting to be edited. However, I'm far to busy writing the sequel (already 100 pages and I'm only on chapter four) to edit it. Which is ALSO a problem.
But basically, here is where I'm going to post about my trials and tribulations in trying to become a published writer, my life's dream.
The first book is called The Awakening; the second book is called Strange Magic. (Yeah, like the song.)
But if anyone has any publishing advice for me, I'd appreciate it. I have the Jeff Herman Giude to Agents, Editors and Publishers, which is a really helpful resource, especially as I'm soon going to be writing and sending out query letters to possible agencies. But any advice from people who know how the publishing system works... thanks much!
(PS. Is it weird for a fifteen-year-old to be sending out a book manuscript?)
où est mon maître le prince rebelle qui va fermer toutes ces fenêtres ce sont ces fenêtres autour de moi ce sont ces fenêtres qui m’appellent qui m’appellent
~"Rebel Prince", Rufus Wainwright

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:39 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Why, hello, dear.

That's so great that you are concentrating on one big project, I'm all over the place, haven't finished a novel yet. Will O'Shaughnessy, awww, I can seem him now, for some reason, he seems like a cute and awkward fellow. About not liking people, and those people being strangers, reading your writing, and how because you want publish it, and all that, one vital thing is that I think all writers should have that one person, or many, that is both a critic and their greatest support. I, myself, have no problem who reads my work, online or otherwise, as long as they don't steal it. Usually, when you publish something if it is anywhere online the publisher will ask for it to be deleted, as they will probably have first distribution rights.

Publishing advice, since I have guessed you are trying to get a novel finished, it is probably the best to get an agent. Another way to get into the business is to have short stories published to get your name out there. I know most big name publishing houses will not publish first time or unknown/barely know authors. There is an author, can't remember his name, who took chapters from his novel turned them into short stories, then published those short stories in literary magazines and then after that happened, he sent in his manuscript to Random House or something and they published it.

Advice on literary magazines, if it doesn't fit their magazine's goal, mission statement or quota, it wont even go past the first, aka second reader. Usually the levels are first reader, second reader, assistant editor, editor/editing board or second reader, first reader...

You asked if it was weird for a fifteen-year-old to be sending out manuscripts, in my opinion, no. But, don't expect much from it. I know from experience it make take a year or more to hear back from them. I know there are some young authors who have been published but either they got superbly lucky or know people in the business. Keep working on your writing, keep editing. After all, the more you write the better you get. And, more experience you have.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:27 pm
View Likes
Firestalker says...

I agree with Caligula's Launderette, but if you are too impatient try publishing it straight away hoping your book/novel will become famous. Its exactly what i am doing
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:54 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

Try getting a copy of Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, by Renni Browne and Dave King. You'll be able to order it from Amazon. Tis a very useful book and will help you edit your books.

And that's important; editing is vital. It may be worth editing your first book whilst your writing the second.
I wrote the above just for you.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:35 pm
Tyd says...

Wow; i always love hearing about people who hav e finished a book and trying to get in published- it gives me lots of motivation to finish mine :P

I'm going to be watching this thread; i really hope you continue posting your progress and good luck with getting published!
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:46 am
Sam says...

Ooer, yes, good luck with editing- that's never any fun. ^_~

I'll be watching, too, and I wish you the best of luck.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

I know where the wall goes.
— Creed, the Office