Carlito is Noveling

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:18 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

4. Continuing...
After walking it out I need to sprint for 250 words: DONE

5. To close out the first third of my race I have to do a 50-headed hydra (500 words in 5 minutes): DONE (391, not my best, but it's early in the day)

THE MIDDLE IS THE HARDEST PART
1. I need to take an hour to push through as many words as I can without stopping: DONE

2. Stop and reflect on what you've done so far: I'M SO PROUD OF MYSELF.

3. Grind your teeth and catch up! Aim for 3500 words in 45 minutes. IF I CAN DO THIS I WILL BE PAST 50K: ope. honestly lost track. I didn't finish in the 45 minutes at ALL. So I have to write an extra 100 words.
I think I had to write 3200 to finish my 50k for NaNo...
I'll do the real math tomorrow once I get back in that pad...
but i'll finish this one another time! :p
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1162 Reviews

Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:59 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Goal for December: 35,000 words written
L+Z Reboot currently sits at 37393.

Even though NaNo is over, I'm still going to finish that Oh No Nano is almost over and I'm so far behind crawl :p
I was close! 3165/3500. But I need to add an extra 100 words for not doing it in 45 minutes. Finishing up that last 435 words now: DONE

CROSSING THE FINISH LINE
1. Just when I'm ready to give up, I have to sprint to 500 words: DONE

COOL DOWN
2. Write one more celebratory paragraph: DONE

Done!! - 10029 words written!

December words: 1151 (day 1/30)

Ask a Therapist!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1162 Reviews

Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:00 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

We're going a road trip for the
Road Trip Crawl

L+Z current sits at 38544

First I need to determine my pace by figuring out how many words per minute I write. Let's see how much I can write in 5 minutes. 193 words so 38 words per minute. Lol that puts me at a leisurely pace. I'm just strolling around taking in the countryside which is honestly a mood.

The morning of my trip I'm almost ready to leave. I send boy off to pack the car (honestly this is what happens :p) and I have to write for 10 minutes: DONE
And since I got over 400 words all of my prepping goes according to plan!

What would a road trip be without snacks?! We stop at the nearest gas station and load up. I have to choose my favorite road trip snack - salty (chips & pretzels), sweet (cookies & candy), healthy (fruit & veggies). To be honest, when I go on a road trip I like a little of all three. Which is also an option! So I have to write 2100 words and I get to skip a stop later: 240/2500

December words: 1990/35000

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:54 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Back at this road trip! Well that 30k in December isn't going to happen because I was preparing Dark Corners, Bright Spaces to submit to a mentoring contest. But I miss my L+Z darlings so it's time to dive back in.

I need to finish writing those 2500 words for all of the snacks I want to get before my trip. 2260 words to go: DONE

I have my food, now I need some music! I have to write for the length of my favorite song (3-5 minutes). I can't write to music very well, and I'm currently listening to an opera so I'll just set a timer for four minutes: DONE
I beat the 100 word goal for that so I can continue on.

It's time to drive to my first destination. I have to do a 10 minute sprint while I take in the views around me: DONE

Boy it feels good to get back into this story <3

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:44 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Oh no! My car is making a noise. I have to write for 15 minutes while the problem is diagnosed: DONE
I wrote more than 450 words, so my car has a small problem that's easily fixed.

But now there must be something wrong with my speedometer because a cop is pulling me over even though I could have sworn I wasn't speeding. I have to write for 10 minutes while they check my information: DONE
I wrote more than 350 words so the cop lets me off with a warning.

I'm out of snacks again! But since I already bought all the snacks I'm actually good and get to skip this round.

We decide to stop for the night, but the hotel clerk has lost my information. I have to write for 20 minutes while they try to get it figured out for me: DONE
I didn't quite get to 600 words, so they didn't find me a room and I need to write for another 20 minutes while we find another hotel: DONE

I get a good night's sleep and wake up in time for breakfast. I have to write for 30 minutes while I eat and prepare to hit the road again: DONE

There's a lot more driving to do today and I want to get a good chunk of it done so I need to write 1000 words in an hour: DONE

We stop for lunch at a cute little diner and I need to write for 10 minutes: DONE

We pile back into the car and drive to our next destination. I need to write 3% of my word count as we drive on. I'm at 46327, so that means 1390 words: And that will be for tomorrow!

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:33 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

One of my January goals is to FINISH THIS NEW VERSION OF LIZ+ZAC (which now may have a real title again!)

Still driving to our next destination by writing those 1390 words: DONE

I had a fun few days, but now it's time to go back home. I need to write to my next milestone, which for a leisure pace is to the nearest 2000. I'm at 47,717, so the nearest 2000 would be 48000 right? I interpret that as the nearest even thousand. That will be 283 words: DONE

I'm home, and I have 20 minutes to write 600 words and unpack the car: DONE

done! 10093 words written!!

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:35 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

L+Z currently stands at 48,637 words.

Am crawling with @IcyFlame on this one for the...
Disney Crawl

The sun is rising over the savannah and Simba is being presented in 10 minutes! I have to sprint for that long: DONE
And having written 326 words, I get there on time but I don't get a great seat. I have to sit by the monkeys and they're loud!

I leave Pride Rock and it's time for a nap. I climb a tree and write 100 words: DONE

Before I can really get any rest, the ground shakes and it's time for dawn patrol! I follow behind Colonel Hathi's tiny son and write 400 words: DONE

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:53 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Oops. Forgot to update this!

I come to a heavily wooded area where I'm distracted by the antics of gorillas who lead me to a human camp! The gorillas decide to do some smashing of things. I roll a 12, so I break 12 dishes and may be the new leader! I also have to write to the nearest 1000: DONE

As I break my last dish, I spot a rabbit! And the rabbit is wearing a waistcoat! The rabbit darts into a hole so I follow and fall
for a long time
and have to write for 20 minutes: DONE

As I fall a young boy tells me to think of a wonderful thought. Then follow me. Second star to the right and straight on till morning. I think of a mermaid lagoon, so I have to write 500 words: DONE

DONE!! 2448 words written!

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:28 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

L+Z currently stands at 53,496 words.
I started the beyond 50k crawl and wrote over 3000 words (don't actually know because I had to change some things around and delete a scene and re-do it...) but I'm abandoning it for now because the challenges are long and I need short and easy to finish this novel!! It's beyond time!

12 Level Dungeon Crawl

The way this works is there are 12 levels. Each level I write 100 words and then roll 2 six-sided dice to defeat the monster. If I roll a high enough number, I defeat the monster and go to the next round. If I don't roll a high enough number, I write 100 more words and try again, and keep repeating this until I get a high enough number.

Level One - Mummy (need to roll at least 1)
100 words: DONE
Roll: 5, Mummy defeated.

Level Two - Ghoul (need to roll at least 2)
Roll: 7, Ghoul defeated!

Level Three - Horror clown (need to roll at least 3)
Roll: 6, Horror clown defeated!!

Level Four - Weregoat (need to roll at least 4)
Roll: 3, lost :(
Roll: 9, Weregoat defeated!!!

Level Five - Werewolf (need to roll at least 5)
Roll: 2, lost :(
I'll pick it up here next time!

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:22 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Another try at the werewolf!
Roll: 8, Werewolf defeated!!!!!!!

Level six - Vampire Lord (need to roll at least 6)
Roll: 6, Vampire lord defeated

Level seven - Necromancer (need to roll at least 7)
Roll: 10, Necromancer defeated

Level eight - Insect hivemind (need to roll at least 8, and I must write my words in 5 minutes or less)
Roll: 6, lost :(

I'll be back to fight another day!

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:24 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Another try at the hivemind!
Roll: 10, Hivemind defeated

Level nine - Zombie dragon (need to roll at least 9)
Roll: 4, lost :(
Roll: 7, lost again :( :(
Roll: 10, ZOMBIE DRAGON DEFEATED

Ask a Therapist!

1487 Reviews

Reviews: 1487
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:19 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Spoiler! :
you are NAILING THIS!!! Argh I need to get back into writing but I can't stop reading DCBS xD

<3

1162 Reviews

Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:41 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

@IcyFlame đź’śđź’śđź’ś
Writing in 100 word bursts helps!! Although it’s going to be paused again because I’m doing some re-reading to get Liz’s voice back because I’ve also been spending too much time in DCBS and the ending of L+Z is killing me.
“I can’t stop reading DCBS” 💜💜💜

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:06 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Level ten - Medusa (need to roll at least 10)
Roll: 7, lost :(
Roll: 4, lost again :(
Roll: 2, lol lost again :(
Roll: 9, so close!! :(
Roll: 7, and another loss :(
Roll: 9 again :(

OKAY MEDUSA. BE DIFFICULT.

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:30 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Oh and oop I stopped working on L+Z for now because the ending is a whole mess and it's far from what I want it to be overall and it needs some more think time!
So I've started working on a new draft of When I Was Anna that's totally changing that story up because I'm excited about it and I think I have a good vision of what needs to happen. Once I get my feedback back from betas reading Dark Corners, I'll pause Anna and start working on Dark Corners again because I am readyyy to dig into those edits!!

Another day of fighting Medusa!
Still need to roll at least 10

Roll: 5 :(
Roll: 3 :(
Roll: 6 :(
Roll: 11, MEDUSA DEFEATED

Level 11 - Fifty-headed hydra (need to roll at least 11)
Roll: 10 :( SO CLOSE THOUGH
Roll: 10 :( AGAIN
Roll: 7 :(
Roll: 9 :(
Roll: 3 :(
Roll: 3 again :(
Roll: 10 SO CLOSE :(
Roll: 10 AGAIN! where were all these 10s when I was battling medusa, huh? :(
Roll: 9 :(

...this is going to take me a while

Ask a Therapist!

For in everything it is no easy task to find the middle ... anyone can get angry—that is easy—or give or spend money; but to do this to the right person, to the right extent, at the right time, with the right motive, and in the right way, that is not for everyone, nor is it easy; wherefore goodness is both rare and laudable and noble.
— Aristotle