z

Young Writers Society

Need help deciding on a collage major

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:22 pm
Lady Kyra says...

Hey, I know how you feel. I'm 16, but I was thinking about college majors when I was 13. Heck, I was thinking about college majors when I was 8. (I really want to leave my hometown :D )

To tell you the truth, though, I still haven't decided either. If you are from the U S of A, then you probably should think about the ACT. I took it during my freshman year (despite my guidance counselor screaming at me that freshman DO NOT take the ACT...I'm a pretty weird kid like that). On the ACT, you pick four colleges to send your scores to, and even if they kind of suck, they look at it and say, "Oh, that's great for a freshman!" Then they send you stuff.

The stuff that my four have sent me have helped, since they've sent letters from their departments, like their science and english departments.

Best of luck to you, and hope my rambling's helped.
"Many suffer from the incurable disease of writing, and it becomes chronic in their sick minds." —Juvenal (AD 60-130)

There's a wocket in my pocket...

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:48 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

Don't worry about it for many years to come is my advice. :roll:

I always thought it was bad enough having other people pressuring you about what you're going to do with your life, without putting that sort of pressure on yourself at that age.

You're thirteen. Enjoy being a teenager while you still can. :wink:
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:38 am
thunder_dude7 says...

*cringe* How could you possibly use the words "enjoy" and "teenager" in the same sentence?

I am not being pressured to pick now. I'm not worrying, I'm thinking. I had my mind set on being a zoo keeper since kindergarden. I am good at math, but I don't enjoy it, so any strict math career is out. Science is my favorite subject because it's interesting, so that's definetly an option. I hate english and history, because history is pure memorization, which is dumb, and English is just dumb. I'm pathetic at writing essays.

So science is an ideal catagory for a career. On the other hand, acting is a passion of mine. I'm concerned that if I let it wait, I'll never decide, and I'm pretty set on at least picking a major going in to work to. But I could very well change it later, as my sister has.

Well, I'll figure it out eventually. Oh, and yes, I do live in the USA, so I could try ACT. I'll look into it. I have no clue what school I'm going to, so that might help when the time to decide that.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:57 am
alleycat13 says...

Trust me, you DON'T need to decide on your major at age 13. I'm a high school senior and nearly half of my friends have changed their "majors" since freshman year.

The best thing you can do is job shadow and research your interests. Like, I always wanted to become a veterinarian, and then I job shadowed one. That experience really helped me decide to stick with my decision. I suggest you job shadow too.

Also, take honors classes and then AP classes during your junior and senior year so you can see what fields really interest you and get a feel for how hard they'll be in college.

Please, don't stress about it. :D You have PLENTY of time!
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:39 pm
Passion's Killing Floor says...

I'm thinking of majoring in English and minor in some arts so that I can break into the creative industry and eventually build my way up.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:44 pm
Monki says...

Lmao. I agree with Nate. I am fourteen (going on fifteen). I have decided that I'm going to major in Creative Writing in college, but that's just because I've been sure since I was seven that this is what I'm going to do for the rest of my life (and I have my parents and their money to back me up if it gets rough). Ha ha. I've even written a childrens' book before (when I was seven). It was a hit. At least, that's what I'm told. I can't really remember. It's been about seven years.
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

i got called an enigma once so now i purposefully act obtuse
— chikara